• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2016 |OT| Road to the Matthews Draft Pick

imBask

Banned
Yep. I will never back anything on kickstarter. If a game comes out and it is good, and there have obviously been some successes, I will buy it but I feel like it is rare for a kickstarted game to come out and actually meets expectations

I never backed anything but, backing small local projects that you know will probably work out seems alright. But you gotta understand that you're not BUYING something, you're """"""INVESTING""""""

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I would bet money on this happening

Same. In fact, I already did. By backing Shenmue III. :D

I see backing something like Shenmue III as something akin to playing Powerball when the jackpot is super huge. Sure, it's probably a waste of your money, but it is kinda fun to imagine what if, and who knows, there's a slim chance you might actually end up with Shenmue III!

Otherwise, I've backed a few things, but it's important to be very very selective about what you pick. I've done stuff like Kick Heart (because you can never have too many Masaaki Yuasa films), Pillars of Eternity (because it was pretty likely to be good), and the MST3K Kickstarter (which I see as kind of a Shenmue III situation where it could go to shit, but it's fun to dream).

I never backed anything but, backing small local projects that you know will probably work out seems alright. But you gotta understand that you're not BUYING something, you're """"""INVESTING""""""

Well that's my point I guess. I wait until the product is out so at that point for me it is buying. But yeah kickstarting something is just a poor investment that you much more likely than not will get a poor return.

At least it isn't necessarily a big investment. I know there are options to pay like $10,000 or something like that on some kickstarters but for the most part it is just $20- $50.

Yawnier

Banned
Shenmue 3 is the only thing I've backed on kickstarter ever

I haven't been following its development that much but if we do get it I'm not expecting it for like 3-4 years though.

Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Banner Saga, FTL, Fist Puncher, Legends of Eisenwald, Shadowrun and Numenara. 8 games for about 125 (65 of which was for the Wasteland 2 box set) feels decidedly unlike a scam, at least for me. It's more like low-intensity gambling - throw some money down and maybe (likely) you get a product that otherwise wouldnt exist.

Now that said, I haven't backed anything in years, and I find the shift toward 100% crowdfunding that groups like Double Fine and inXile have taken a little odious and suspicious. Especially in the case of the former.

imBask

Banned
Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Banner Saga, FTL, Fist Puncher, Legends of Eisenwald, Shadowrun and Numenara. 8 games for about 125 (65 of which was for the Wasteland 2 box set) feels decidedly unlike a scam, at least for me. It's more like low-intensity gambling - throw some money down and maybe (likely) you get a product that otherwise wouldnt exist.

Now that said, I haven't backed anything in years, and I find the shift toward 100% crowdfunding that groups like Double Fine and inXile have taken a little odious and suspicious. Especially in the case of the former.

There's a couple of exceptions, you listed them, but overall Kickstarter is a disaster

but then again out of those expections, the only "high profile" ones were Pillars and maybe Wasteland, and I think both of them are nowhere near Shenmue and Mighty No 9

Yeah there are some great games that have come from it. One of the games I was playing over Christmas was Satellite Reign and it was awesome! Came from being kickstarted but on the whole it feels similar to steam early access yet that is somewhat of a whole different animal.

Line_HTX

This latest MegaTwerp delay is now irrefutable proof beyond reasonable doubt that Inafune is full of shit and doesn't deserve any money from all those who backed him. Inafune is a Bitch.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
There's a couple of exceptions, you listed them, but overall Kickstarter is a disaster

but then again out of those expections, the only "high profile" ones were Pillars and maybe Wasteland, and I think both of them are nowhere near Shenmue and Mighty No 9

Pillars of Eternity was bigger than Mighty No. 9. So was Torment: Tides of Numenera.

imBask

Banned
Pillars of Eternity was bigger than Mighty No. 9. So was Torment: Tides of Numenera.

I don't know about that. Pillars was somewhat of a niche thing for a good audience, Mighty No 9 is a game aimed toward one of the worst and most vocal fanbase in gaming

What are the failed projects that make it a disaster? I haven't kept up with the 'scene' since 2012-13, so the only ones I know of are that fps-coder project, Yogventures and that sword fighting one (Clang?)

Some really high quality shit has come from kickstarter. The Banner Saga and Darkest Dungeon, Xenonauts and Sunless Sea, The Fall and Divinity: Original Sin, Risk of Rain and Volgarr the Viking, Kentucky Route Zero and FTL, Resonance and Massive Chalice.. I've put a lot of time into most of those plus others people have listed already. There are plenty of success stories to go along with the failures. It's always a risk. That doesn't mean the service is a failure it just means it's high risk. If losing ~$30 means a lot to you beware.

Mighty No. 9 never looked good.

Line_HTX

sorry i have to rant about school. i have to take a mandatory philosophy course and a fellow named joseph raz is probably the worst writer i've ever seen.

ZUsMKN5.gif

Nothing is the absence... of something. Zero is absolutely nothing.

Nothing is a save percentage of 1.000.

:p

imBask

Banned
What are the failed projects that make it a disaster? I haven't kept up with the 'scene' since 2012-13, so the only ones I know of are that fps-coder project, Yogventures and that sword fighting one (Clang?)

high profile ones? Mighty No 9 is heading there, Shenmue 3 being advertised at E3 was scummy as fuck, Occulus Rift at 600 USD might flop hard, the Ouya, the stupid smart ring thing...

zroid

Banned
This latest MegaTwerp delay is now irrefutable proof beyond reasonable doubt that Inafune is full of shit and doesn't deserve any money from all those who backed him. Inafune is a Bitch.

Inafune has been full of shit for a while now. It's been clear to anyone who's paying attention. Unfortunate that it took the MN9 fiasco for a lot of people to realize it.

imBask

Banned
Well if $600 is too rich for your blood you're gonna love what valve has to offer. This has nothing to do with kickstarter anyway. I backed that project and received exactly what they said I would.

yeah but if the only people who actually buy rifts are the people who backed it, there won't be enough owners for the game/movie devs to justify creating stuff for it... that's kind of what happened with the Ouya right? outside of the fact that the hardware was presumably trash

fallout

With the exception of the new fig.co investment options, when it comes to crowdfunding, you're not investing. You're not donating, either. Crowdfunding is a form of patronage. The differences are subtle, but important. You're giving money to a creator with the expressed intent of getting some creation in return, but you do so knowing the risk that you might not. You also won't see any financial return on the creation. The reason and impetus to do this is that you have money and they have the talent to create something you might not otherwise get.

yeah but if the only people who actually buy rifts are the people who backed it, there won't be enough owners for the game/movie devs to justify creating stuff for it... that's kind of what happened with the Ouya right? outside of the fact that the hardware was presumably trash

As soon as Facebook entered the picture they had the capital necessary to go from strictly "affordable VR" to "premium VR" and voila, a $600 release. One might argue their trajectory as a result of the Kickstarter was much more palatable than the one they're on now as a result of the Facebook acquisition. Either way, non-phone VR isn't cheap. That much is certain. Not even phone VR is cheap tbh.

edit: As far as the Ouya goes it was a terrible idea from the start with even worse execution. An open console running an Android OS? Who the fuck would seriously get behind that and release good exclusive content?

imBask

Banned
As soon as Facebook entered the picture they had the capital necessary to go from strictly "affordable VR" to "premium VR" and voila, a $600 release. One might argue their trajectory as a result of the Kickstarter was much more palatable than the one they're on now as a result of the Facebook acquisition. Either way, non-phone VR isn't cheap. That much is certain.

I know... I think i'm the target audience, I was never interested, but now I kinda wanna try it and see where it goes, but I don't see myself paying 975 CAD + upgrading my (already pretty good) computer just to "try it"... So i'll pass, just like most people, and that's not good.

or i'll wait to see the price on the PS VR

I know... I think i'm the target audience, I was never interested, but now I kinda wanna try it and see where it goes, but I don't see myself paying 975 CAD + upgrading my (already pretty good) computer just to "try it"... So i'll pass, just like most people, and that's not good.

or i'll wait to see the price on the PS VR

I want to see games first and get impressions from the early adopters. I don't see myself getting into VR anyway for a few years no matter what. I think PS VR has to come out with games right out of the gate where the Rift has time to get some games out more slowly.

imBask

Banned
I want to see games first and get impressions from the early adopters. I don't see myself getting into VR anyway for a few years no matter what. I think PS VR has to come out with games right out of the gate where the Rift has time to get some games out more slowly.

that's the other thing, I think people got it all wrong. People all want Skyrim in VR and I just don't think it's a good idea. Devs need to come up with VR ideas, not just ports of existing stuff otherwise i'm suuuuper out... I don't want VR to become the new 3D Movies, where everything comes out in some kind of bad 3D port for no good reason, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's the path VR ends up taking

that's the other thing, I think people got it all wrong. People all want Skyrim in VR and I just don't think it's a good idea. Devs need to come up with VR ideas, not just ports of existing stuff otherwise i'm suuuuper out... I don't want VR to become the new 3D Movies, where everything comes out in some kind of bad 3D port for no good reason, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's the path VR ends up taking

I think if they can strike a nice balance between "experiences" and games that would be ideal.

But I feel like there is more pressure on PSVR to push out games right away since the PS4 will probably be replaced by the PS5 by let's say 2019-2020. So they don't have as much time to figure it out. Where with the Rift by making it higher end I think it really adds to its longevity and people may be able to use it longer especially with better PCs. But this is a big year for VR and it will be interesting to see what comes of it.

zroid

Banned
Apparently Rogers media (tv/radio/etc.) is cutting 200 jobs

that really sucks :(

and what really really sucks is somehow Healy will still be employed

Ouch, that sucks about the cuts.

Wasn't there some stuff out there last year that suggested ratings for Rogers' NHL broadcasts were (relatively speaking) poor?

Foggy

oh Bobrovsky is injured? who's taking his spot in the force?

Bob and Mac are out. You get Anton Forsberg and Joonas Korpisalo. Forsberg leaks like a sieve and while Joonas is better, he's not good enough for backup duty yet. Should be an easy go. Only chance BJs have is if they score 4 goals(very unlikely).

imBask

Banned
Bob and Mac are out. You get Anton Forsberg and Joonas Korpisalo. Forsberg leaks like a sieve and while Joonas is better, he's not good enough for backup duty yet. Should be an easy go. Only chance BJs have is if they score 4 goals(very unlikely).

bro

we have a deep history of sucking hard against rookie goalies, seriously

Erdrick

So the Winnipeg Better than the Tanking Leafs Jets are not going to sign Ladd but going to resign Big Buff instead?

That's seemingly what I just read as well. I'd rather keep Byfuglien than Ladd if they can only sign one, anyway. A shame though, as Ladd's been generally an excellent all around player and leader for us. This year, has been his worst and even that's not horrible by his standards.

Randomly, I was out last night for dinner before I finally saw The Hateful Eight (Not a bad movie.) and I saw Ondrej Pavelec sitting in the booth behind me. Feels like forever since he's been injured. Thank Goodness that we still have some decent goalies otherwise We'd be in an even worse situation than we are now.

I've only ever helped crowdsource one thing, and that was just recently through Patreon. Classic Game Room on YouTube. Some $$$ a month helps keep the guy making videos that I really have enjoyed for some 8 plus years now. I'm a big fan of his work. Pretty sure he's a Pens fan, too.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Would be shocked if Bergevin didn't make a major play for Ladd. His kind of player, and they kind of player were missing in our top six.

imBask

Banned
Would be shocked if Bergevin didn't make a major play for Ladd. His kind of player, and they kind of player were missing in our top six.

Ladd is way fine and i'll take him if he's available, but we need more than a 50 points guy, we need that 70-80-90 points beast

WE NEED THE STAMCOCK I WANT HIM

Top Bottom