• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2017 |OT| May 2016's reign of terror end with the Wild's sacrificial loss

Socreges

Banned
I wonder if Gaunce will go to Utica...or maybe we can waive Skille or Chaput or Megna. Really, how many fringe NHLers does one team need.

I know nothing about Boucher. He can't grind, can he? So no 4th line. So he'd have to bump out Rodin or possibly Granlund.

Or Megna

5'10" so a small guy, not much of a skater so he won't be a fit with the Sedins. Can play both wings though and has a good shot. Would be interesting to see where he fits into the lineup, if at all.

Quick

Banned
I posted a lot about my job here, I figured it's appropriate to bookend it.

I've been let go. Got two weeks notice yesterday by email. Some shit was happening with the area I was working in and they have nowhere else to transfer me to since the company has no other open positions.

I'm relieved in some sense, but I hate losing the income. I called my manager from my previous job at retail and I got that job back. I figured I'd keep myself busy and at least have some income come in as I look for new permanent employment.

Solo

Just got a Facebook reminder that it was 5 years ago today that Lars Eller scored 4 goals.

#thegreatdane

iLLmAtlc

Kinda neat that the current Blue Jackets were built without any blatant tanking. They went on that big run to take themselves out of the McDavid sweepstakes.

They have Ryan Murray at 2nd overall but I don't think he's playing that big of a role (15-18 min per game).

Atkinson - 6th round
Wennberg - 13th overall
Werenski - 8th overall
Foligno - trade
Saad - trade
Bobrovsky - trade
Dubinsky - trade
Gagner - signed
Hartnell - trade
Jones - trade (for 4th overall Johansen)
Jenner - 2nd round

etc

Current management group has been there since 2013 but there are some pieces from the previous regime too (Atkinson, Dubinsky, Murray)

zroid

Banned
If there's one thing the rest of the league can learn from the jackets it's that having a high quality 4th line is essential. It's time to move on from the Ben Smiths and Matt Martins of the world. Sign skilled free agents who haven't found a home, and call up your prospects.

Freddie the Goat doesn't count btw

yyzjohn

Banned
Kinda neat that the current Blue Jackets were built without any blatant tanking. They went on that big run to take themselves out of the McDavid sweepstakes.

They have Ryan Murray at 2nd overall but I don't think he's playing that big of a role (15-18 min per game).

Atkinson - 6th round
Wennberg - 13th overall
Werenski - 8th overall
Foligno - trade
Saad - trade
Bobrovsky - trade
Dubinsky - trade
Gagner - signed
Hartnell - trade
Jones - trade (for 4th overall Johansen)
Jenner - 2nd round

etc

Current management group has been there since 2013 but there are some pieces from the previous regime too (Atkinson, Dubinsky, Murray)

Also David Clarkson.

Yawnier

Banned
If there's one thing the rest of the league can learn from the jackets it's that having a high quality 4th line is essential. It's time to move on from the Ben Smiths and Matt Martins of the world. Sign skilled free agents who haven't found a home, and call up your prospects.

Freddie the Goat doesn't count btw

It's too bad we're stuck with Matt Martin for another like 8 years. I understand that he is acting as a mentor to some of the young guys like Marner but meh

Blue Jackets are 1st on the power play, tied for 1st in goals scored per game, and 1st in goals allowed per game. Add 4 scoring lines, solid defence (Jack Johnson is #6 in the league in +/-), and Vezina-quality goaltending and you have the hottest team in the league.

yyzjohn

Banned
It's too bad we're stuck with Matt Martin for another like 8 years. I understand that he is acting as a mentor to some of the young guys like Marner but meh

Hey c'mon, Martin's contract is up the same time as Nathan Horton's. We got the veteran leadership angle covered.

zroid

Banned
Columbus should be lauded for having cobbled together a decent D corps (which is still mostly being carried by Bobrovsky, but it's not bad, and Werenski is a beast) but I'm not going to give 'em any credit for Jack Johnson mysteriously becoming good

no one could have predicted that... he's been almost Roman Polak bad the last few years!

Quick

Banned
That's a bummer Quick. Best of luck in the job search.

Damn sorry Quick

Sorry to hear Quick. Hope you find something better soon.

It's for the better, Quickles

Find something more stable and fulfulling and not filled with bullski

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I'm not upset at losing the job, though I'm not exactly happy at losing stable income. At the end of the day, one of us was going to pull the trigger - either they let me go or I quit. Their opportunity came up first.

I'm just glad that my old boss at my retail job likes me enough to take me back.

Reckheim

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I'm not upset at losing the job, though I'm not exactly happy at losing stable income. At the end of the day, one of us was going to pull the trigger - either they let me go or I quit. Their opportunity came up first.

I'm just glad that my old boss at my retail job likes me enough to take me back.

That's really shitty of them to do it right after the holidays tho. If they did it before you could of managed your spending accordingly. At least I would be pretty pissed about it.

Thanks guys.

I'm not saying anything illegal but I am ready with a closet stick to fight people. Just tell me who

Socreges

Banned
How long before we stop marveling at the BJs and start hating them for being so good? Will probably require some playoff success at a minimum, maybe another full season at the top. Let's see how long they keep the facade up for

💕💕💕 Foggy

Thanks guys.

Quick I will keep my eyes open for any opportunities in your native West Victoria.

Quick

Banned
That's really shitty of them to do it right after the holidays tho. If they did it before you could of managed your spending accordingly. At least I would be pretty pissed about it.

Thankfully I didn't spend all that much during the holidays. Though I was thinking of getting a new car and/or going on a trip. Guess that's on hold lol.

The situation at work started during the last week before the holiday break, and I was already off. So something developed all of a sudden basically.

I'm not saying anything illegal but I am ready with a closet stick to fight people. Just tell me who

The People of Winnipeg.

Quick I will keep my eyes open for any opportunities in your native West Victoria.

Bless. Thanks Soc. I know you've offered me a lot of advice and tips from the last year regarding situations at work for me (as well as others here of course), and I just wannna say that I greatly appreciate it.

Foggy

How long before we stop marveling at the BJs and start hating them for being so good? Will probably require some playoff success at a minimum, maybe another full season at the top. Let's see how long they keep the facade up for

💕💕💕 Foggy.

Next season for sure, especially if they win a series or two and Dubinsky gets up to some fuckery.

Columbus should be lauded for having cobbled together a decent D corps (which is still mostly being carried by Bobrovsky, but it's not bad, and Werenski is a beast) but I'm not going to give 'em any credit for Jack Johnson mysteriously becoming good

no one could have predicted that... he's been almost Dan Girardi bad the last few years!

Nutivaara is also a piece of the defensive puzzle and he was a 7th round late bloomer at the last draft. He still makes rookie mistakes but he's a very solid puck mover and he's doing good work with Murray on the 3rd pairing.

As for JMFJ, I'm not sure what to think. It's probably a mix of him having a good year, less distractions, less minutes since he has only gotten 2nd pairing minutes, and then the hiring of Brad Shaw can't be overlooked. No reason to think that being the defensive coach for the Blues and developing those guys can't translate to making the entire defensive core more sound.

Besides, if a lucky year is all that it is for him then that just makes him more sexy for the expansion draft. I'll take that.

Marvie_3

Banned
I posted a lot about my job here, I figured it's appropriate to bookend it.

I've been let go. Got two weeks notice yesterday by email. Some shit was happening with the area I was working in and they have nowhere else to transfer me to since the company has no other open positions.

I'm relieved in some sense, but I hate losing the income. I called my manager from my previous job at retail and I got that job back. I figured I'd keep myself busy and at least have some income come in as I look for new permanent employment.
I'll hire you to be my assistant, Quick. Your salary is tacos, a bookshelf, and $110 in gamestop store credit.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
People on HF are now seriously debating McDavid vs Matthews

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside that this can be debated

calder

People on HF are now seriously debating McDavid vs Matthews

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaah. "People" are "seriously debating" huh.

Is Ondrej Pavelec almost as good as Carey Price? Maybe, maybe not... but the fact that we're having this discussion is telling, isn't it?

calder

Thanks guys.

That place sounded like weird garbage and yeah I'm sure it sucks it sounds like you're lucky enough to be able to work a backup job while looking for something better.

Montresor

So my girlfriend has been sleeping over at my place for the past couple of days. For really crappy reasons, some outside her control, some within her control, she's homeless and got her dog stolen from her.

I've started to really dislike this person because she is spending my money excessively. I stupidly gave her my credit card and also rented out a car for her under my name.

The car rental cost me around 220 dollars for a week. I let her have it because she needs to get around. But this girl has no Canadian citizenship and no driver's license. So the whole week I've been stressing thinking what would happen if she was pulled over. And to save money I decided not to pay for insurance on the car rental. Idiot move on my part.

And the credit card, Jesus the credit card. It went up to a $1300 balance when it was in my hand, spending on her. I'm fine with that. But we were together at a gas station and both driving home. She said she wanted some Tim Horton's but I wanted to go home right away so I gave her my card and told her to tap the card for Tim's.

I didn't think anything of it but she kept the card to pay for doing her hair the next day and other stuff. A couple of days later and the balance is up to $2200.

I texted her I want the card back and I want to return the car rental because I can't sleep at night otherwise. And that I don't want to see her anymore. I told her this today at 6am while I was on the train and while she was still asleep at my place. She called me and said "don't bother calling me again after tonight" and I'm like "holy shit, she actually doesn't want to be with me, thank the God almighty above".

So today we are going to meet up so she can give me my stuff back. I'm incredibly happy but at the same time a little sad. This girl is homeless and she will be fucked without me renting her a car or her having any spending money. So she's calling me an asshole and I feel like an asshole because I'm literally fist pumping the air in happiness that this relationship is going to be over. I'm super happy anyway.... Is this wrong that I'm incredibly happy?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
So my girlfriend has been sleeping over at my place for the past couple of days. For really crappy reasons, some outside her control, some within her control, she's homeless and got her dog stolen from her.

I've started to really dislike this person because she is spending my money excessively. I stupidly gave her my credit card and also rented out a car for her under my name.

The car rental cost me around 220 dollars for a week. I let her have it because she needs to get around. But this girl has no Canadian citizenship and no driver's license. So the whole week I've been stressing thinking what would happen if she was pulled over. And to save money I decided not to pay for insurance on the car rental. Idiot move on my part.

And the credit card, Jesus the credit card. It went up to a $1300 balance when it was in my hand, spending on her. I'm fine with that. But we were together at a gas station and both driving home. She said she wanted some Tim Horton's but I wanted to go home right away so I gave her my card and told her to tap the card for Tim's.

I didn't think anything of it but she kept the card to pay for doing her hair the next day and other stuff. A couple of days later and the balance is up to $2200.

I texted her I want the card back and I want to return the car rental because I can't sleep at night otherwise. And that I don't want to see her anymore. I told her this today at 6am while I was on the train and while she was still asleep at my place. She called me and said "don't bother calling me again after tonight" and I'm like "holy shit, she actually doesn't want to be with me, thank the God almighty above".

So today we are going to meet up so she can give me my stuff back. I'm incredibly happy but at the same time a little sad. This girl is homeless and she will be fucked without me renting her a car or her having any spending money. So she's calling me an asshole and I feel like an asshole because I'm literally fist pumping the air in happiness that this relationship is going to be over. I'm super happy anyway.... Is this wrong that I'm incredibly happy?
So long as she still isnt sleeping in the room she has leased with her ex...in the same bed...

You're not responsible for another person's life decisions, but I hope things work out for you, Monty. Sounds like the situation may get worse before it gets better...

Quick

Banned
That place sounded like weird garbage and yeah I'm sure it sucks it sounds like you're lucky enough to be able to work a backup job while looking for something better.

Yeah, for sure man. Income aside, I didn't want to have too much free time and to just keep myself busy.

I went through about 3 months of unemployment within my company as they were sorting out my area transfer at the time in early 2015, and I was losing my mind after a month off. I went back to the same retail job to keep myself occupied (and paid).

Nah man. You're not responsible for her. I assume you haven't really been dating for a long period of time either,

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Finally got around to trying VR Sports Challenge this past weekend, including a few of the hockey bits (first person goalie, as well as breakaway sessions). Wish there was an option to disable the glowing puck for the goalie sections to get the true challenge of trying to see where the fuck it is with a gazillion bodies in your way.

It's simplistic and gets repetitive, but I can see a good NHL Hitz style of VR game working out if someone can figure out how to properly do movement/locomotion for the non-goalie positions.

Line_HTX

Finally got around to trying VR Sports Challenge this past weekend, including a few of the hockey bits (first person goalie, as well as breakaway sessions). Wish there was an option to disable the glowing puck for the goalie sections to get the true challenge of trying to see where the fuck it is with a gazillion bodies in your way.

It's simplistic and gets repetitive, but I can see a good NHL Hitz style of VR game working out if someone can figure out how to properly do movement/locomotion for the non-goalie positions.

*Skates in front and blocks Xia's view of the puck

6aRBX8Z.png

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Now people on Neogaf are seriously debating whether people on HF were seriously debating McDavid vs Matthews

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Marc Staal is out tonight and Saturday with an upper body injury. As a result, tonight may be the first time all season that our top pairing is what it actually should be:

McDonagh-Skjei
Clendening-Klein
Holden-Girardi

Henrik Lundqvist gets the start.

Socreges

Banned
Bless. Thanks Soc. I know you've offered me a lot of advice and tips from the last year regarding situations at work for me (as well as others here of course), and I just wannna say that I greatly appreciate it.
Your work environment always surprised me. Seemed pretty dysfunctional. Bittersweet now, I know, but I'm sure you'll look back at this as a great development.

It's not wrong. It's a lesson learned for you to probably do things differently the next time. Don't put yourself out so much to help someone else avoid suffering the consequences of their own behaviour. You can help out without providing a car and credit card. And she should be grateful for that.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

you dun fucked up

but seriously though, lesson learned for next time, don't hand out your credit card/credit.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Milt Schmidt died.

Milt Schmidt, the hockey hall of famer who led Boston to two Stanley Cup championships as the center of the ‘‘Kraut Line,’’ served Canada in World War II and returned to the NHL to win its MVP award and two more titles as the Bruins general manager, died on Wednesday, the team said.

He was 98.

Schmidt had been the oldest living NHL player. He was the only person in Bruins franchise history to serve as on-ice captain, coach and general manager.
Schmidt missed three full seasons for World War II but returned to score career highs of 27 goals and 62 points in the 1946-47 season. He won the 1951 Hart Memorial Trophy as the league’s most valuable player after totaling 61 points in 62 games.

RIP to a bad ass mofo

Top Bottom