• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2017 |OT| May 2016's reign of terror end with the Wild's sacrificial loss

PillarEN

Kronwall and Smith out for the Detroit defense. I want to be optimistic but I'm throwing in the towel. The playoff streak is over. Time to tank.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Everytime I see Sandstrom's name all I can think of is Darude - Sandstorm, I hope that kid never makes it anywhere

zroid

Banned
49dbe883f52e4ff7a5e9b6e9b3dafd20.png

Two of Dopey's favourites pictured here

Solo

You know, it occurs to me that with all these injuries, Habs may end up being one of the healthiest/well rested teams come playoffs.

Parch

Assuming the Canadiens make the playoffs. They should.
It is getting a little a silly how many injuries the Habs have. When you have to hope that guys like Plekanic step up their game, it's scary.

Socreges

Banned
Why did Ehlers (and Nylander) drop that low again?

Dal Colle, Fleury and Virtanen don't seem close.
Projections had Dal Colle going at #5 all along, I think. Fleury snuck up a couple spots because Carolina wanted a dman, IIRC. And Virtanen was picked because of ownership, or so the story goes. Ehlers and Nylander probably dropped because they're European and soff but I think the consensus here at the time of the draft was that they have higher ceilings and will be great picks.

Solo

Assuming the Canadiens make the playoffs..

They are running away with the Atlantic division. They'll likely win it if they can play .500 or better the rest of the way. Galchenyuk is back in like 2 weeks. They'll make the playoffs.

With the Trade Deadline looming in about a month, what does everyone's team need going forward

I think Montreal needs to Solidify their Bottom Defence and maybe add a Foward for a Playoff run.

PillarEN

With the Trade Deadline looming in about a month, what does everyone's team need going forward

I think Montreal needs to Solidify their Bottom Defence and maybe add a Foward for a Playoff run.

Detroit:

Figure out what to do with goaltending. Hold on to Howard and Mrazek? Deal Howard (nobody will take Mrazek this season)?

Ship out Vanek I guess for some team looking for a rental. I mean the only players that aren't going anywhere no matter what are Mantha, Larkin, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Nielsen. I don't know what the plan is with Tatar and Nyquist.

Detroit:

Figure out what to do with goaltending. Hold on to Howard and Mrazek? Deal Howard (nobody will take Mrazek this season)?

Ship out Vanek I guess for some team looking for a rental. I mean the only players that aren't going anywhere no matter what are Mantha, Larkin, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Nielsen. I don't know what the plan is with Tatar and Nyquist.

I'll gladly take Tatar or Nyquist for Montreal

Reckheim

Leafs:

Flip Polak for a second. Hopefully deal JVR for something valuable but I think a lot of teams see past the fancy stats that loaf has.

Parch

Oilers could use another defenceman, but they're not going to trade another top forward for a mediocre d-man. Maybe Eberle? I don't think he would bring much of a defenceman.

Anybody hoping for a top tier d-man better expect to grossly overpay. They're still the most sought after players in the league.

Trade JVR for a decent package including a high pick and a D prospect (think Kessel-like except instead of Kapanen, a 19-20 year old not-quite-NHL-ready D man).

That's kind of all I see happening. Don't think anybody wants Polak or Hunwick but if they'll take them then do it.

Cake Boss

Banned
Oilers could use another defenceman, but they're not going to trade another top forward for a mediocre d-man. Maybe Eberle? I don't think he would bring much of a defenceman.

Anybody hoping for a top tier d-man better expect to grossly overpay. They're still the most sought after players in the league.

Cody Ceci is your man.

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member

Stars could use some actual D-men, not a bunch of forwards disguised as D-men. Also, an actual goaltender.

Parch

Sports radio is making a big deal out of the Blue Jackets win streak. I suppose so, but it does come with a faux asterisk. Win or loss streaks are not the same as they used to be because of ties. Overtime and shootouts have eliminated ties. 100% of games now have a decision, meaning a large win or loss streak is much more possible now than when ties existed.

Colombus is playing great but don't freak out about the win streak and give them the Cup. Good chance they're peaking too early.

Quick

Banned
Sports radio is making a big deal out of the Blue Jackets win streak. I suppose so, but it does come with a faux asterisk. Win or loss streaks are not the same as they used to be because of ties. Overtime and shootouts have eliminated ties. 100% of games now have a decision, meaning a large win or loss streak is much more possible now than when ties existed.

Colombus is playing great but don't freak out about the win streak and give them the Cup. Good chance they're peaking too early.

This is some bullshit excuse not to give a team their due respects.

It's like that thread on GAF saying Gretzky isn't as great as people make him out to be because he played in an "easier" era compared to today.

Foggy

It's a big story considering it's the middle of the season and due to their unanimous low consideration to start. It doesn't need a faux asterik or any other kind of asterik. Sports of all kinds change and evolve over time, it just takes some critical thinking to judge one against the other. Pittsburgh's streak also came without a salary cap which could have affected the makeup of the team. Who knows.

As for whether they're peaking early, well aside from trending upward for the entire season it's true that this all changes once the playoffs come. Which, barring a spectacular collapse, we'll see soon enough.

Best just to appreciate it for what it is, a historic win streak that could become even more historic. That's pretty cool.

Socreges

Banned

YX6ZTJ2.gif

Top Bottom