• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2017 |OT| May 2016's reign of terror end with the Wild's sacrificial loss

Do you like hockey, or just your fellow compatriots?

both.

i hated what happened to McDavid last season too. skilled players should be respected and not targeted in any way. the hotheads should hit each other and enjoy their concussions by themselves.

watching BOS-CAR now... and LOL at the American style advertising; "goaltenders brought to you by CPI Security"... what.. the... fuck? doesn't that sound absurd to anyone else?? apparently it wasn't a joke. is this type of marketing normal nowadays in sports? i burst out laughing to myself, so ridiculous. is the puck brought to us by Toyota? goalposts by Disney?

Quick

Banned
fucking shit.. just great. i hate this overly violent side of hockey, always have and always will. i know it was a so called clean hit but come on.. are those kind of tackles really necessary? Laine himself plays physical too and gives hits, but i can't imagine him doing what was done to him to someone else.. it's just classless and IMO not entertaining. basically making someone skate into a wall and absorbing a hit that could seriously injure a person (or even kill if you're really unlucky with your brain).

blah, i guess i'm not watching any Jets games for a while. rooting for Minnesota now, hoping no one takes out Granlund.

tumblr_o01667NX2F1qk7b1yo1_400.gif

skilled players should be respected and not targeted in any way

Please define the thresh hold for what makes a player skilled enough to be treated with kid gloves by the rest of the league, and what that treatment actually looks like to you. How would this be enforced, moreover? What about a skilled player that is also a "hothead"?

imBask

Banned
Please define the thresh hold for what makes a player skilled enough to be treated with kid gloves by the rest of the league, and what that treatment actually looks like to you.

if you score 30 goals you get a golden helmet the next year, giving you immunity to any contact, a free penalty shot every game, 1M bonus on your contract and you get to pick the defensive pairing you're going to play against

also if you're Finnish you get the golden helmet by default

Socreges

Banned
Please define the thresh hold for what makes a player skilled enough to be treated with kid gloves by the rest of the league, and what that treatment actually looks like to you. How would this be enforced, moreover? What about a skilled player that is also a "hothead"?
Not to mention that he has to define the threshold at which point a hit goes from OK to NOT OK. Since he doesn't subscribe to the league's definition.

Quick

Banned
NHL should have league-appointed watchers to make sure our Finnish skilled players are properly protected, and that opposing teams are notified of when not to engage these Finnish skilled players in any form of physical play.

It's funny, Jets fans were OK when Trouba hit Duchene in the HEAD and gave him a concussion this year. This legal hit is something to cry foul over though. Jets are one of the dirtiest teams in the league, it's hard to feel sorry for them

It's funny, Jets fans were OK when Trouba hit Duchene in the HEAD and gave him a concussion this year. This legal hit is something to cry foul over though. Jets are one of the dirtiest teams in the league, it's hard to feel sorry for them

Not to mention Byfuglien has played maybe two games against us in the last 4 years wherein he hasn't done some dirty ass shit to our top players.

arghh my head hurts, i can't answer.

just don't injure players that are awesome to watch, IT'S SIMPLE. why can't we agree? ffs

watching BOS-CAR now... and LOL at the American style advertising; "goaltenders brought to you by CPI Security"... what.. the... fuck? doesn't that sound absurd to anyone else?? apparently it wasn't a joke. is this type of marketing normal nowadays in sports? i burst out laughing to myself, so ridiculous. is the puck brought to us by Toyota? goalposts by Disney?

ZZZZ-516.jpg

ZZZZ-526.jpg

ZZZZ-540.jpg

I'm never one to accuse somebody of trolling, especially not when this thread is consistently making fun of itself for being a bubbled and closed community and someone new is making himself or herself known, but come the fuck on.

The Laine hit was 100% legal, was 100% entertaining to watch, and was a good hockey play. If McCabe did not step up with the body there, Laine would have had a good lane to the net. If McCabe played back and tried to go for stick/skill to get rid of the puck, Laine wins that 1v1 99 out of 100 times.

Great hit. It is unfortunate that Laine got hurt from it, but really that is on Scheiffele forcing the pass to Laine there. If you are going to get mad at anyone look squarely at him.

I get having pride in your homeland players. I hate seeing Minnesotans around the league getting hurt. But i know there isnt some conspiracy against them. I know 99% of injuries are unfortunate accidents or ignorant negligence on the part of one of the parties involved.

Laine, Granlund, Barkov, whoever. Every player gets hurt some time. Sometimes more than once. Its part of the game of hockey. There are parts of that game we all love that could and should he changed, but hitting is not one of them.

arghh my head hurts, i can't answer.

just don't injure players that are awesome to watch, IT'S SIMPLE. why can't we agree? ffs
You're assuming that even a majority of big hits are made with an intent to cause serious injury, and I don't agree. It's on a player to protect themselves from hits like the one Laine took just as much as it's on the hitter to not make a dirty hit, which it wasn't. Injuries are an unfortunate side effect of a full contact sport, special treatment can't and won't be enforced. You're upset, I get it. But you're way off here.

Quick

Banned
To be fair Chicago is missing Markus Kruger.

raw

Although there is something to his point. The 'brought to you by's are getting out of fucking control.

STATS ARE STATS

BROUGHT TO YOU BY

SALT ON THE ICE

I thought glass ads were pretty bad, but I've come to just accept it. Ultimately I don't see it all that often anyway, or don't notice. I think I only ever see it on US game broadcasts or something.

To be fair Chicago is missing Markus Kruger.

raw

Although there is something to his point. The 'brought to you by's are getting out of fucking control.

To be fair while jerseys are ugly in finnish league (and in European leagues in general) there is only one ad break during the period. in NHL (and NFL what I have watched) it feels like there is ad breaks every three minutes.

ZZZZ-516.jpg

ZZZZ-526.jpg

ZZZZ-540.jpg

I'm never one to accuse somebody of trolling, especially not when this thread is consistently making fun of itself for being a bubbled and closed community and someone new is making himself or herself known, but come the fuck on.

The Laine hit was 100% legal, was 100% entertaining to watch, and was a good hockey play. If McCabe did not step up with the body there, Laine would have had a good lane to the net. If McCabe played back and tried to go for stick/skill to get rid of the puck, Laine wins that 1v1 99 out of 100 times.

Great hit. It is unfortunate that Laine got hurt from it, but really that is on Scheiffele forcing the pass to Laine there. If you are going to get mad at anyone look squarely at him.

I get having pride in your homeland players. I hate seeing Minnesotans around the league getting hurt. But i know there isnt some conspiracy against them. I know 99% of injuries are unfortunate accidents or ignorant negligence on the part of one of the parties involved.

Laine, Granlund, Barkov, whoever. Every player gets hurt some time. Sometimes more than once. Its part of the game of hockey. There are parts of that game we all love that could and should he changed, but hitting is not one of them.

yeah well, we'll just disagree then. i hate violence that risks brain health, whether it's legal or clean or whatever you want to call it. the hit on Laine was too risky, and hits like that should not be part of the game IMO. i don't want to watch hockey where every super-skilled player has to constantly watch over their shoulder in fear of being targeted for injury.. i want the Laines and McDavids and Matthewses to be able to play without fear.

i'll stop posting about this now since obviously everyone else seems to prefer rough hockey.

also those jersey ads are silly but don't come anywhere close to an announcer actually saying out loud in a serious voice GOALTENDERS BROUGHT TO YOU BY CPI SECURITY. that's way too over the top ridiculous.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
also those jersey ads are silly but don't come anywhere close to an announcer actually saying out loud in a serious voice GOALTENDERS BROUGHT TO YOU BY CPI SECURITY. that's way too over the top ridiculous.

except i only have to hear that term just once

i have to see those jerseys all game long

big difference

big difference

nah man, think about it.. "goaltenders brought to you by" as a sentence doesn't even make sense. it's fucking dumb and laughable. no one should have to embarrass himself having to say that out loud.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
nah man, think about it.. "goaltenders brought to you by" as a sentence doesn't even make sense. it's fucking dumb and laughable. no one should have to embarrass himself having to say that out loud.

"(starting) goaltenders, brought to you by"

makes perfect sense, actually. You're confusing what is being brought to you... it isn't the goaltenders themselves but the act of announcing the goaltenders.

Socreges

Banned

big difference

"(starting) goaltenders, brought to you by"

makes perfect sense, actually. You're confusing what is being brought to you... it isn't the goaltenders themselves but the act of announcing the goaltenders.
giphy.gif

Foggy

LOL Voracek snowed Mase

I was under the understanding that ref called no goal, goal was challenged and ref said no goal again.

Nah, Torts challenged it. Hakstol challenged the Jackets' goal later and lost. Schenn fucking up an empty netter and fanned on a breakaway. It hasn't been a good night for Philly.

Top Bottom