• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2017 |OT| May 2016's reign of terror end with the Wild's sacrificial loss

Quick

Banned
So how about that Black Mirror eh

Would start Season 2, but it's too close to bed time and this shit fucks with my head. 😨

Edit - on a more serious note, my tenants (also cousin in law + bf) downstairs are having a major row. Slamming, yelling, and I'm pretty sure physical abuse. It would be the girl hitting the guy. It's disturbing and I feel sick for them - him especially. They probably won't break up, but I hope they're actually done.

Might as well watch more Black Mirror now. Will be a nice reprieve.

Been meaning to watch Black Mirror, especially since seeing the recent thread about one of its episodes (San Junipero). If I do, I'll probably start at the beginning.

Also I hope nothing is damaged from that fight. I'd imagine it'd be awkward bringing it up should you end up doing an inspection or something.

But disturbed or sick is pretty much the same feeling when you hear parents fight. Some truly bad things are said that you can't unhear, not even bringing up violence.

Cake Boss

Banned
Team plays good, loses 4 straight, barely scores 1 goal.

Team plays like complete shit, scores 5 goals and wins.

Play like shit more

Quick

Banned
https://twitter.com/UniWatch/status/818468066531151872

Sources tell Minneapolis Star Tribune that NHL teams will only have home/road jerseys next season - no alternates. http://www.startribune.com/owner-coach-celebrate-all-star-assignment/410043755/#1 https://twitter.com/UniWatch/status/818468066531151872/photo/1

No third jerseys next season to make the change to Adidas jerseys easier. Seems like this is really going to be like the switch to Reebok Edge jerseys from 10 years ago.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Adam Clendening's second goal on Saturday has officially been changed to Michael Grabner's. Which means IT'S A HAT TRICK FOR GRABNER! That's #19 for Grabner at the bye week break.

Gotta love those Monday morning hat tricks.

EDIT: *shakes fist at Vyse*

ShaneB

yeah well, we'll just disagree then. i hate violence that risks brain health, whether it's legal or clean or whatever you want to call it. the hit on Laine was too risky, and hits like that should not be part of the game IMO. i don't want to watch hockey where every super-skilled player has to constantly watch over their shoulder in fear of being targeted for injury.. i want the Laines and McDavids and Matthewses to be able to play without fear.

i'll stop posting about this now since obviously everyone else seems to prefer rough hockey.

I don't like "rough" hockey, I like physical hockey. I'll agree with you to a certain extent. As long as hockey is a contact sport, there will be hits that are dangerous. I hate seeing players knocked out, and have my rants before, but I like seeing clean physical play because, yeah, it's a part of hockey.

It's not football where you build an offensive line to protect your star player, every hockey player is out on the ice as part of the action, vulnerable.

My concern on the play with Laine was the brawl that ensued after, just drives me crazy to see a brawl ensue after what every hockey player would say is a clean hit. What is the purpose of this brawl? Payback for a clean play? By that logic you'd think a fight would break out after every goal. You scored?!? Fuck you, let's fight! It's nonsense, as is fighting in hockey which I've spoken about before, so eh.

Derek Carr and Marcus Mariota were tackled and their season ended because of injuries, Titans playoff hopes dashed and Super Bowl hopes for the Raiders finished. Did fights and brawls break out? No, because it was a part of the game to tackle the qb.

Bah.

Quick

Banned
Here's the current list of jerseys for this season.

My guesses:

Teams with jerseys over 5 years old are probably more likely to get new designs, maybe even a complete overhaul (new logo, jersey)

Avs and Sens are prime candidates for a complete overhaul.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Flames get a jersey redesign. Their jerseys are as old as the Avs and Sens. Didn't mention the Canucks because their jerseys really stand the test of time, but I wouldn't be surprised if they jump on new jerseys.

I can see the Wings, Yotes, and Sabres keeping their current design with a minor change. Wings and Yotes either get their front crest shrunk a little or moved down to allow the captaincy letters to be placed on the left again, and the Sabres get those front numbers removed.

Hard to say with the Ducks, Kings, Sharks, Wild, Caps, Jets, and BJs. I don't see any of them getting a new logo/complete design overhaul though.

Calamari41

41 > 38
It's going to really suck when we have to sweep Boudreau in the Conference Finals this year. Feel bad for the guy, but business is business. I hope he finds peace in another life.

Foggy

McIlhenney on waivers soon because the "bad" goal he let in was a deflection off of Grabner and because Seth Jones screwed the pooch. Tough times for Mac. Not that I think anyone picks him up.

Hopefully Anton Forsberg shows more stuff than he did last season. His short NHL stint was a gong show.

Cake Boss

Banned
A .924SV% is pretty damn good for a backup. Would rather that save percentage than whatever the fuck Hammond and O'Connor are posting.

Condom needs help.

malfcn

I know I was talking down Cmac the other night, but the timing of the waivers is rough.

And the Avalanche do need some new threads. I miss the Foot though.

calder

Edmonton Oilers @EdmontonOilers

The #Oilers have assigned Jesse Puljujärvi to the @Condors, recalled Anton Slepyshev & placed Jonas Gustavsson on waivers.

Finally some mercy from the Oilers. Also, Gustavsson should have been playing in a second division Euro league years ago lol.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Aww, but our third jerseys are pretty great. How hard could it possibly be to transition them? It's not like the Rangers are going to be making any changes to their jersey design.

NYR always seemed to wear their thirds at home against Montreal, they contrasted really well with Montreal's whites, too bad.

Cake Boss

Banned
AJ Jakubec on TSN1200: "I know there's interest in Bobby Ryan around the league right now." #Sens

Yooooo ship fatty out.

More Jakubec: "One of the teams I know is interested in Bobby Ryan, they want to give up bad contracts back the other way."

All Bran can finally get David Clarkson!

One of these mornings I'm going to wake up to Duchene being gone and it's probably going to be a bad morning. The upcoming trades really are going to signify whether or not Sakic is up for this job though, so there's that. Not that I think if he fucks up he'll actually be replaced.

Quick

Banned
Good. Most 3rds are awful. Im glad I get to go a whole season without seeing those shitty Islanders 3rds.

I actually love the black Isles jersey. Pls don't hate me.

Aww, but our third jerseys are pretty great. How hard could it possibly be to transition them? It's not like the Rangers are going to be making any changes to their jersey design.

Guessing it's purely from a production standpoint, having to supply probably 100x jerseys to each team.

But the Rangers alts are rill gud.

so I'm assuming when the NHL made the switch to Reebok (from CCM?) before there was the same thing with reduced jersey counts? Hopefully they come back, alternates are always cool.

Quick

Banned
so I'm assuming when the NHL made the switch to Reebok (from CCM?) before there was the same thing with reduced jersey counts? Hopefully they come back, alternates are always cool.

It wasn't just a change in branding. Reebok was already on the jerseys, but it was still using the old CCM template.

The sweeping change was done because Reebok switched templates to the then-new Edge jerseys.

At the time, they reduced every team to just home/away because all 30 teams needed new jerseys. At first I figured they'd just change the Reebok branding to Adidas (with some modifications), but it seems Adidas is implementing their own jersey templates too.

It wasn't just a change in branding. Reebok was already on the jerseys, but it was still using the old CCM template.

The sweeping change was done because Reebok switched templates to the then-new Edge jerseys.

At the time, they reduced every team to just home/away because all 30 teams needed new jerseys. At first I figured they'd just change the Reebok branding to Adidas (with some modifications), but it seems Adidas is implementing their own jersey templates too.

Oooh ok that makes sense then. It's the new manufacturing process on top of switching suppliers. I would have assumed whatever they had done for the WCOH would have been the same for the eventual NHL jerseys template/pattern/material-wise, but I guess not if they are doing this...

Quick

Banned
Oooh ok that makes sense then. It's the new manufacturing process on top of switching suppliers. I would have assumed whatever they had done for the WCOH would have been the same for the eventual NHL jerseys template/pattern/material-wise, but I guess not if they are doing this...

I think the World Cup jerseys are probably just a few of the many templates they offer + more templates as the league moves forward with Adidas.

If you look at the first season with the Edge jerseys, a whole bunch of teams were using the same template. Send and Pens were the easiest to spot this.

I remember reading a blog or post somewhere and the dude mentioned in passing that Nestrasil was his favourite player.

Nestrasil!

It always strikes me as a little weird when fans take to marginal or really average NHLers, those bottom 6 guys that are totally fungible.

Like how one of the dudes who used to write for PPP (and maybe still does) always mentioned how Kulemin was his favourite player.

Kulemin!

Ryan has 5 more years with a $7.25M cap hit. That would be a hard sell to a trade partner.

This is the same guy that scored 30 goals in 4 straight seasons with the Ducks, including 31 goals in 64 games as a 22 year old. And he only missed 17 games in 3 seasons with the Senators so I'm not sure how much you can attribute to injuries (though it might be something chronic).

Cake Boss

Banned
Ryan has 5 more years with a $7.25M cap hit. That would be a hard sell to a trade partner.

This is the same guy that scored 30 goals in 4 straight seasons with the Ducks, including 31 goals in 64 games as a 22 year old. And he only missed 17 games in 3 seasons with the Senators so I'm not sure how much you can attribute to injuries (though it might be something chronic).

Yes but it doesn't take into account how many time this guy tries to play through his injuries, his hand injury earlier this year, he should have been gone for 2-3 weeks, and its clear its still affecting him. And it seems like every year hes hurting his hand.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Detroit has a back to back to back at the end of march

players opted for it instead of the makeup game being played during the bye week

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Granberg cleared and got shipped to Milwaukee.

Yay for not having to see his sorry ass anymore. At least until the next Dman goes down, which will probably happen within the next couple of games if the current trend holds up.

Top Bottom