• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

@LAKings Congrats to the @lagalaxy for knocking Canada's only hope out of the MLSPlayoffs.

Can someone nuke LA?

Steve Nash should go find the person shit talking his soccer team

Socreges

Banned
@LAKings Congrats to the @lagalaxy for knocking Canada's only hope out of the MLSPlayoffs.

Can someone nuke LA?

That's pretty funny. If I thought the Caps were any good that would have probably angered me.

Can someone nuke LA?

It's alright. I'm pretty sure no one reading that tweet know who the fuck the LA Kings are.

Can someone nuke LA?

it wasn't that long ago when Canadian teams were supporting this shitty franchise, but I guess they couldn't afford to pay enough people to have a job for the person that runs their twitter now

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
wearing my Grabner #40 Islanders t-shirt today, 2 random strangers asked if they were gonna be called Brooklyn Islanders when the NHL comes back.

Just friendly strangers, so I was nice to them both (one male, one female) but still kinda bummed that my team is now so associated with the borough of Brooklyn.

People riding the newly reopened subways were friendly, so i wasn't a dick or anything, but I'm not looking forward to how much more prevalent this "Brooklyn Islanders" question is going to become.

CCF23

Got an iPhone 5 today (upgraded from a 3GS). Was playing around with Siri and I asked something random (not hockey related), and she responded:

"Let me tell you about Henrik Zetterberg"

*brings up Red Wings/Flames game tonight*

"Unfortunately the game between the Red Wings and the Flames tonight seems to be cancelled."

Siri trolled me :(

Got an iPhone 5 today (upgraded from a 3GS). Was playing around with Siri and I asked something random (not hockey related), and she responded:

"Let me tell you about Henrik Zetterberg"

*brings up Red Wings/Flames game tonight*

"Unfortunately the game between the Red Wings and the Flames tonight seems to be cancelled."

Siri trolled me :(

LOL ouch

Google voice search just brings up the Leafs latest scores with cancelled beside them all

Stasis

Maybe I'll save some money and splurge during the holiday season so I can sit on my ass and play games when work shuts down for 2 weeks

You can actually build a pretty potent rig for not that much. Bit more since you're going from a laptop and can't recycle anything, but it becomes cheaper for subsequent builds.

Pikma

Banned
You can actually build a pretty potent rig for not that much. Bit more since you're going from a laptop and can't recycle anything, but it becomes cheaper for subsequent builds.

How much is "not that much"? I'm interested but I don't have the slightest idea of how much I would need to invest to have a good rig.

holy fuck, people care about football?

fixed.

Socreges

Banned
So the shitty half of the population.
ibmq0fAMu8b9o6.JPG

The awesome, beautiful half.

Quick

Banned
What's the difference? Does anyone expect a deal that will save it in two weeks?

If I were to make a guess, this means another proposal is coming from the NHL.

As much as it would suck seeing the Winter Classic canceled, especially since the Leafs are part of it, I'd rather wait a season than get something half-assed. I'm sure the Illitch family wouldn't want to compromise. The NHL could still squeeze out the five (or was it four?) episodes of 24/7 for HBO if they get the season started before the end of November.

Guys worst case senario is happening: Grimaldi is looking good, as in top 5 prospect pool good. Every scouting report on him is calling him one of the very best in ND hockey program in decades. I may have to like him damnit.

Quick

Banned
I was driving when I heard the news. Bob McKenzie expects the Winter Classic to be canceled today, still.

And has anyone been keeping track of this CHLPA business? Laraque was the executive director, and stepped down this week, after I'm assuming things got shady pretty damn fast.

Silexx

The CHLPA thing is both baffling and fascinating. I do feel bad for George Laraque though since he seems to be the only one in all of this who had honourable intentions.

Cake Boss

Banned
"@KatieStrangESPN: #CBA As @reporterchris and @Real_ESPNLeBrun reported, NHL and NHLPA plan to meet again soon, although the logistics still being worked out"

Wait...aren't they both in TO?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I was driving when I heard the news. Bob McKenzie expects the Winter Classic to be canceled today, still.

And has anyone been keeping track of this CHLPA business? Laraque was the executive director, and stepped down this week, after I'm assuming things got shady pretty damn fast.

The CHLPA thing is both baffling and fascinating. I do feel bad for George Laraque though since he seems to be the only one in all of this who had honourable intentions.

yeah that whole thing is so weird. Props to Dave Naylor at TSN for digging this all up.

I read on the Toronto Star today about how Randy Gumley's brother finally stepped forward and said he's a part of this but he was afraid to step out originally because of his name. This thing is just turning into a clusterfuck for this supposed union.

ShaneB

The CHLPA thing is baffling and fascinating indeed. I don't even know what the heck is going on, but I want to hear more of it. lol

Silexx

The CHLPA thing is baffling and fascinating indeed. I don't even know what the heck is going on, but I want to hear more of it. lol

Would be hard to explain all of it while typing from my phone. :p

The gist of it is that the supposed media rep guy for the CHLPA, Derek Clarke, may not be who he claims to be. TSN looked into it and believe that "Derek Clarke" may in fact be a guy named Randy Gumbley, who has been convicted of fraud in relation to junior-aged players.

ShaneB

The gist of it is that the supposed media rep guy for the CHLPA, Derek Clarke, may not be who he claims to be. TSN looked into it and believe that "Derek Clarke" may in fact be a guy named Randy Gumbley, who has been convicted of fraud in relation to junior-aged players.

Yeah, that about sums up what I know. I saw a bit of it on Hockeycentral last night, Laroque getting interviewed and naming this person in a picture wrong and no idea who Gumbley is, etc etc.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

So to add on:

Derek Clarke met with Dave Naylor and confirmed he is who he says he is but there is a connection to Randy Gumbley. His brother Glenn Gumbley is one of the heads of the CHLPA and has been working in the background.

And now add on that George Laracque is going to resign as president/CEO whatever his title is.

Solo

I guess that is the death blow for the season. Hopefully when they do get a deal next year 1 side totally gets destroyed.

The owners will win. Again. Players are too stupid to realize the owners will always win. I hope the players sign a worse deal next year than they rejected this year.

The owners will win. Again. Players are too stupid to realize the owners will always win. I hope the players sign a worse deal next year than they rejected this year.

The last part is exactly what I want. These sides could have made a deal but the players brought in Fehr who fucked this whole thing up.

sammich

This post was made on HFboards:

"Denis Beyak just said on Winnipeg radio that a player agent just told him that Donald Fehr chastised the players for signing an agreement in July last time (when there were no paychecks to be had), and that the NHLPA has an internal deadline of December 2013 (13 months from now).

Says that the agent told him that Fehr was brought in to "win", and that he convinced the players that they may have to sit a long time. If any of this is true, I think that is horrible advice and miscalculation"

"Denis Beyak just said on Winnipeg radio that a player agent just told him that Donald Fehr chastised the players for signing an agreement in July last time (when there were no paychecks to be had), and that the NHLPA has an internal deadline of December 2013 (13 months from now).

Says that the agent told him that Fehr was brought in to "win", and that he convinced the players that they may have to sit a long time. If any of this is true, I think that is horrible advice and miscalculation"
Donald Fehr is an absolute moron?

SHOCKING.

Donald Fehr is an absolute moron?

SHOCKING.

Fehr was bad bad news for the NHL when they hired him back. This is just proof.

The real question is do the players realize this ?

Fehr has said in interviews he has no regrets in cancelling a World Series to get what he wanted. He has no problems in destroying to try and get what he wants either. And he'll do it at the player's expense. Do they really know what's going on in their own union ?

Cake Boss

Banned
Umm no more like the players are the morons around here, they are eating everything he tells them. Pretty smart of Fehr, basically makes the PA pay him for an additional year.

Umm no more like the players are the morons around here, they are eating everything he tells them. Pretty smart of Fehr, basically makes the PA pay him for an additional year.

He's not getting paid during the lockout.

Not that he needs the money, he more or less came out of retirement for this.

Fehr was bad bad news for the NHL when they hired him back. This is just proof.

The real question is do the players realize this ?

Fehr has said in interviews he has no regrets in cancelling a World Series to get what he wanted. He has no problems in destroying to try and get what he wants either. And he'll do it at the player's expense. Do they really know what's going on in their own union ?
I forgot where I read it, but someone mentioned a good point about the general intelligence of an NHL player compared to those in other sport. Since the NHL draws its talent primarily from non-college affiliated pools, they're essentially picking players who've for the most part, only have a high school education. The other major leagues draw mostly from the NCAA, which meant at the very least, the athletes have attended or graduated college at some level or another.

Basically hockey players are idiots for the most part, so I highly doubt they understand a single thing about what's going on. Some like Schneider, Bieksa, Glass and Parros have attended college, and probably understand a lot more about how the negotiations are panning out. But for every Parros, you probably have 20 Bissonettes.

EDIT: Except for the MLB. Everyone involved is fucking stupid. Who the hell thought standing still and throwing a fucking ball was worth a salary of tens of millions a year?

I forgot where I read it, but someone mentioned a good point about the general intelligence of an NHL player compared to those in other sport. Since the NHL draws its talent primarily from non-college affiliated pools, they're essentially picking players who've for the most part, only have a high school education. The other major leagues draw mostly from the NCAA, which meant at the very least, the athletes have attended or graduated college at some level or another.

Basically hockey players are idiots for the most part, so I highly doubt they understand a single thing about what's going on. Some like Schneider, Bieksa, Glass and Parros have attended college, and probably understand a lot more about how the negotiations are panning out. But for every Parros, you probably have 20 Bissonettes.

EDIT: Except for the MLB. Everyone involved is fucking stupid. Who the hell thought standing still and throwing a fucking ball was worth a salary of tens of millions a year?

And a lot of them barely went to high school when they were in Jr.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

So my prediction of 1.5 seasons missed sounds about right.

Top Bottom