• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Doesn't he get paid after? There must be some consulting fees or some shit in there.

Maybe but he's not in this for the money.

Fehr consulted Goodenow during the last lockout, they're apparently friends.

Fehr is here for a rematch, pretty easy to manipulate a bunch of dumb players that they need to stick up and fight back because they lost so bad last time etc.

Look at the crap they're spewing on twitter, they act like they're the most mistreated workforce in NA. This is all BS they get from Fehr.

Either they wake up and toss Fehr and his brother on the street or he'll cost them more than they'll ever get back. Years out of their career, millions of dollars of salary and probably do severe damage to the league that their livelihood depends on.

They are beyond stupid, they must be hiding a lot of concussions from the past season.

Maybe but he's not in this for the money.

Fehr consulted Goodenow during the last lockout, they're apparently friends.

Fehr is here for a rematch, pretty easy to manipulate a bunch of dumb players that they need to stick up and fight back because they lost so bad last time etc.

Look at the crap they're spewing on twitter, they act like they're the most mistreated workforce in NA. This is all BS they get from Fehr.

Either they wake up and toss Fehr and his brother on the street or he'll cost them more than they'll ever get back.

Name one instance where Fehr has cost his members money. He's an asshole, but there's a reason he has a reputation for being very good at what he does.

Name one instance where Fehr has cost his members money. He's an asshole, but there's a reason he has a reputation for being very good at what he does.

The players will piss away $1.8B in salary if the season is lost (which it looks like it will).

They've already lost more now than they would have by accepting the NHL's offer.

Players on 1 year deals will most likely never play in the NHL again (after last lockout over 200+ players never played again in the NHL).

Cake Boss

Banned

Lol they are already losing money now they will never get back. They basically fighting for 2 months worth of revenue while they are pissing away an entire year of salary.

How would someone even calculate if the players lost money during any of the strikes/lockouts he wa a part of in baseball? If anything since he has left the negotiations have so much easier and the players havent had to lose any pay checks. I absolutely think that his combative style was bad for baseball and is much worse for hockey.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

LOL come on. He's ALREADY lost them money. In no way will they get enough money back in a settlement to make up for the money already lost.

Now official

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=644824&navid=DL|NHL|home

NEW YORK -- The National Hockey League today announced the cancellation of the 2013 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic. The game was scheduled for Jan. 1 between the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Mich. In addition, the League announced all SiriusXM Hockeytown Winter Festival events scheduled for Dec. 16-31 at Comerica Park in Detroit are cancelled.

The next NHL Winter Classic – featuring the Red Wings and Maple Leafs - and Hockeytown Winter Festival will take place at the University of Michigan and Comerica Park, respectively. Those who have purchased tickets for the 2012-13 events can either receive refunds or maintain their tickets for the future events. Ticket refund information for the 2013 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic and SiriusXM Hockeytown Winter Festival can be found at: nhl.com/winterclassicrefund.

The cancellation was necessary because, given the absence of a Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NHL Players' Association and the NHL, the League was not in a position to do all that is necessary to adequately stage events of this magnitude. This year's Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic and the companion SiriusXM Hockeytown Winter Festival called for the construction of major outdoor rink facilities at both Comerica Park and 'The Big House'. Multiple games involving teams from the NHL, NCAA, American Hockey League, Ontario Hockey League, high school and local minor hockey leagues were scheduled, requiring travel and hotel commitments. Beyond the construction of two major outdoor rink facilities, the combined events were preparing to welcome nearly 400,000 guests to Detroit and Ann Arbor over the holiday period.

"The logistical demands for staging events of this magnitude made today's decision unavoidable. We simply are out of time," said NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly. "We are extremely disappointed, for our fans and for all those affected, to have to cancel the Winter Classic and Hockeytown Winter Festival events."

"We look forward to bringing the next Winter Classic and the Hockeytown Winter Festival to Michigan," Daly added.

VALIS

You think the players are going to win in the long term if the the NHL loses a season?

Yes. Once the season is cancelled, the league not only lost all their revenues for the year but now they're doing serious damage to their standing in the minds of advertisers, sports fans and sports media. A hole that gets deeper with each month missed. Most of the players can just earn a decent salary in Europe.

The pressure was on the players for the first few months. Once the season is cancelled, it shifts to the owners.

Socreges

Banned
Yes. Once the season is cancelled, the league not only lost all their revenues for the year but now they're doing serious damage to their standing in the minds of advertisers, sports fans and sports media. A hole that gets deeper with each month missed. Most of the players can just earn a decent salary in Europe.

The pressure was on the players for the first few months. Once the season is cancelled, it shifts to the owners.
Pretty sure this isn't even close to being true.

The players will always have more pressure on them. There will be no "shift". The owners will definitely become less comfortable with each passing month, but it's not as if their overall wealth is being affected too much.

I'm more confident that the owners will "win", though really the league is going to be severely affected so both will be losers by the end of this.

Marvie_3

Banned
Time to start placing bets on when the season gets cancelled.
January 15th

Pretty sure this isn't even close to being true.
It's not. The KHL has the highest salary cap and it's still only in the mid-$20M range. They also have rules that limit the number of non-russian players each team can have. The SEL was something like $9M/team last time I checked. There's no way players are going to get close to what they'd get in the NHL.

Most of the players can just earn a decent salary in Europe.

Decent by what comparison? Maybe you'll see some big money playing in the dubious KHL, but the Western and Central European leagues pay a fraction of what an 'average' player could expect in the NHL.

You've got this backwards.

Socreges

Banned
It's not. The KHL has the highest salary cap and it's still only in the mid-$20M range. The SEL was something like $9M/team last time I checked. There's no way players are going to get close to what they'd get in the NHL.
Not to mention that I'm pretty sure most players are not in Europe, period. But I haven't seen an actual number or anything.

ShaneB

Time to start placing bets on when the season gets cancelled.

I made the reverse proposition a while ago :p Although... I asked people to make bets on when a deal would get gone.

If a deal isn't done this month, I imagine they'll cancel Decembers games, and then come the new year, that's when it'll be cancelled.

Eh not really. Euro leagues are capping the number of NHLers they are willing to take. Not to mention only a small percentage of players will be getting contracts.

As for the teams and advertisements arena still hold concerts, other sports and events. Local adverts are not an issue. The owners by the money can outlast the players without much headache. The players though will lose contract money and career time.

Cake Boss

Banned
Especially with the insurance costs, the players aren't getting shit in Europe, I believe Semin has an AHL level contract in a Russian league getting payed $2000 a month or something.

VALIS

The players will always have more pressure on them. There will be no "shift". The owners will definitely become less comfortable with each passing month, but it's not as if their overall wealth is being affected too much.

I'm more confident that the owners will "win", though really the league is going to be severely affected so both will be losers by the end of this.

You've got this backwards.

Right now both the players and owners are losing money. At a certain point, the lockout starts to seriously erode the value of the NHL overall. That's the difference. Nothing changes for the players, but the owners at a certain point aren't only losing money, they're losing future earning potential. At some point the league will resume and the players will resume getting paychecks. But the ability to bring money into the league via advertisers and ticket sales and merchandise could be significantly impacted by the length of this lockout.

Right now both the players and owners are losing money. At a certain point, the lockout starts to seriously erode the value of the NHL overall. That's the difference. Nothing changes for the players, but the owners at a certain point aren't only losing money, they're losing future earning potential. At some point the league will resume and the players will resume getting paychecks. But the ability to bring money into the league via advertisers and ticket sales and merchandise could be significantly impacted by the length of this lockout.

Most owners aren't losing money, the NHL isn't their primary source of income. They lose more money by actually having a season.

Players are losing salaries and years out of their relatively short careers that they will never get back.

Not to mention players get a % of HRR, so if HRR goes down, they're screwing themselves over as well.

NHL value diminishes--> HRR diminishes--->player salaries diminish----> owner costs reduced. Tell me who loses more?

I'd say future earning potential has already been impacted. Let's face it, the NHL is the least stable league in major league sports. Couple that with the fact that it's also the least popular, it doesn't make for a sell to casual fans. Why should they care about the game when it seems like the owners and players don't even care enough about playing every couple of yeares?

VALIS

NHL value diminishes--> HRR diminishes--->player salaries diminish----> owner costs reduced. Tell me who loses more?

Yes, but I believe stuff handled in escrow and has no effect, or at least no immediate effect, on actual player paychecks. I'm not saying the players won't also be impacted if the lockout stretches into a season or more, but again, I think at a certain point the owners start doing significant damage to their product and its potential.

Socreges

Banned
Yes, but I believe stuff handled in escrow and has no effect, or at least no immediate effect, on actual player paychecks. I'm not saying the players won't also be impacted if the lockout stretches into a season or more, but again, I think at a certain point the owners start doing significant damage to their product and its potential.
I don't think anyone would debate that.

Socreges

Banned
As for the CHLPA business, as things become more clear, I'm not sure I understand what anyone did wrong. Sounds like it could be a witch hunt engineered by the CHL.

The NHL as a whole makes very little profit, despite huge revenues. Only a few teams bring money in.

The owners don't need the NHL to make a living, the players do.

Guess who can hold out longer ?

G17

Was looking to watch the Moose Jaw Warriors this year and the WHL on demand prices are quite expensive. I know they don't have strong financial backing and need to raise prices for their on demand games but I really can't afford it.

Is there another option?

Acid08

Banned
I'm pretty upset about the Winter Classic. I was really looking forward to being at such a big celebration of hockey and being able to represent my team there. I felt so lucky I was able to go.

This whole situation sucks. I bet the WC and festival employs lots of people who now won't have work. Fuck both sides of this stupid bullshit.

Was looking to watch the Moose Jaw Warriors this year and the WHL on demand prices are quite expensive. I know they don't have strong financial backing and need to raise prices for their on demand games but I really can't afford it.

Is there another option?
Yeah they are crazy prices, same with AHL. And I can't play certain streams on my iPad so I'm sol for hockey this year.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
As for the CHLPA business, as things become more clear, I'm not sure I understand what anyone did wrong. Sounds like it could be a witch hunt engineered by the CHL.

See I felt the same way too but a lot of stuff is coming out that make the CHLPA look really shady or at least poorly run.

The fact there were two Derek Clarke's speaking to the media.

The different stories from Laraque, Derek Clarke and Glenn Gumbley about Glen Gumbley's involvement.

And I just heard on the radio from Dave Naylor about a powerpoint presentation turned in to Peel police by a player agent that allegedly was registered under Randy Gumbley as well as the contact number the agent was given is the same number that Dave Naylor used to contact the first Derek Clarke who has now completely vanished.

The WC may have died for their sins, but there might be some hope here.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
As we just discussed on Sportscentre. NHL advised PA it will absorb share of Make Whole provision. This is a considerable concession.

What's the Make Whole provision?
Paying the current contracts, in full. Previous offer (iirc) was to put a portion of percentage in escrow to pay contracts over the new cap in time. Now the NHL wants to take most of the cost as opposed to a split.

Edit cancel the hope:
The NHL's verbal offer to absorb some or all of Make Whole was made Tuesday. 3 days ago?? PA wants more detail before getting too excited.

Yup the PA wants to play. Fuck them.

Right now both the players and owners are losing money. At a certain point, the lockout starts to seriously erode the value of the NHL overall.

Correct.

That's the difference. Nothing changes for the players, but the owners at a certain point aren't only losing money, they're losing future earning potential.

Remember, whatever affects the owners ability to generate revenue, impacts the amount of money made available for player salary. Don't think escrow, think salary cap levels, think bonuses.

But really now, 'nothing' changes for the players? Most of them, once their escrow money is gone, are more than likely facing an unpleasant financial situation.

At some point the league will resume and the players will resume getting paychecks. But the ability to bring money into the league via advertisers and ticket sales and merchandise could be significantly impacted by the length of this lockout.

True, and this impacts both parties - the question is whether equally or not. As a whole, which group do you think is more able to generate alternative income unrelated to hockey to make up for lost revenues and profits? The 30 owners or the 750 players?

Top Bottom