• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409136

Today, we met with the NHL off and on over several hours. A number of matters were discussed, including our proposal for a new pension plan, revenue sharing, the players' share and salary cap issues, and the owners' "make whole" concept. Present today were Chris Campoli, Mathieu Darche, Ron Hainsey, Johan Hedberg, Manny Malhotra, and Kevin Westgarth (David Backes was present for part of the day), as well as Mathieu Schneider, Joe Reekie, Steve Webb and Rob Zamuner.

No new proposals were exchanged on pension issues, but we will discuss this issue again tomorrow (Friday). We did receive a proposal on revenue sharing in response to the proposal we made this week, but this subject still needs considerable work.

In addition, we received a revamped proposal covering players' share and cap issues, their so-called "make whole", and player contracting issues. The owners finally did formally give us their "make whole" idea, which in dollar terms is similar to the discussions Bill Daly had with Steve Fehr a few days ago. While a step forward, a significant gap remains. Moreover, at the same time we were told that the owners want an "immediate reset" to 50/50 (which would significantly reduce the salary cap) and that their proposals to restrict crucial individual contracting rights must be agreed to. As you know, these include - among other things - losing a year of salary arbitration eligibility, allowing the team to file for salary arbitration in any year that the player can file, extending UFA eligibility to age 28 or 8 seasons, limiting contracts to 5 years, and permitting only 5% year to year variability in player contracts. Individually each is bad for players; taken together they would significantly reduce a player's bargaining power and give the owner much more leverage over a player for most if not all of his career.

In short, the concessions on future salary we have offered (at least $948 Million to $1.25 Billion over five years, depending on HRR growth) are not enough. We are still being told that more salaries must be conceded, and that very valuable player contracting rights must be surrendered. So, while we are meeting again, and while some steps are being taken, there is still a lot of work to be done and bridges to be crossed before an agreement can be made.

We will review today's discussions over night and tomorrow morning before meeting again with the owners. Following our meeting tomorrow with the league, we will be able to provide a broader update.

As always, please contact us if you have any questions or comments.

Best regards.
Don

gcubed

there are some pretty shit contracting limitations in there from the owners, but again, if you actually negotiate, i think you can clear some of them out by moving a bit on the "make whole" argument.

Bottom line of this CBA? Flyers are losing Giroux or Briere in the next two years. Likely, Briere.

ok?

gcubed

I'm not ok with this! We can't afford G's contract with this new cap if we're not getting any allowances. It's total bullshit!

EDIT: Ok it's not bullshit, but I'm not happy about it!

at the end of the day they need to get a buyout clause in for next year. This way they can rid themselves of Bryzgalov's albatross

gcubed

Bryzgalov will be fine. Put a good line in front of him and you'll be cup contenders again.

post salary cap rollback, its a lot of money locked up in "being fine". Its also a lot of money locked up that makes it difficult to put a good line in front of him

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just read that memo from Fehr. There's almost no way we have a season this year.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
MhP3B.gif

why did I get my hopes up?

Troubling news.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The best part about that memo is "not more than 5% salary variation per year". Wat? So no more big increases? So only player increases with 925k* 1.05^x or what? That would make for some tiny contracts oO

Or is that only "within" a players contract, to combat the tiny salaries towards the end of longterm contracts? That'd be good.

Fehr said:
Present today were Chris Campoli, Mathieu Darche, Ron Hainsey, Johan Hedberg, Manny Malhotra, and Kevin Westgarth (David Backes was present for part of the day), as well as Mathieu Schneider, Joe Reekie, Steve Webb and Rob Zamuner.
Fehr said:
needs considerable work
Fehr said:
a significant gap remains
Fehr said:
not enough
Fehr said:
a lot of work to be done
Fehr said:
bridges to be crossed
Fehr said:

Yep, still fucked.

The best part about that memo is "not more than 5% salary variation per year". Wat? So no more big increases? So only player increases with 925k* 1.05^x or what? That would make for some tiny contracts oO

Or is that only "within" a players contract, to combat the tiny salaries towards the end of longterm contracts? That'd be good.
Yeah it has to be an response to frontloaded contracts.

Smiley90

Saw someone wearing an Expos sweater today. That's wrong on so many levels.

FOOTE

So... make or break day? I have no hope about the season (Fehr's memo cemented that). How much longer will these guys meet and spin their wheels like what has apparently been happening? I think it's great they are talking, I just don't know that it will continue if they don't start agreeing soon.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So... make or break day? I have no hope about the season (Fehr's memo cemented that). How much longer will these guys meet and spin their wheels like what has apparently been happening? I think it's great they are talking, I just don't know that it will continue if they don't start agreeing soon.

I don't know about make or break "day," but I believe this is the last push before a full-season cancellation.

Smiley90

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
I still can't figure out why Solo was banned. His post history doesn't show anything that seems ban-worthy.

Unless its ultimate troll to keep him from posting during Skyfall opening weekend, in which case:
ieUzuVmlsQ7Xx.gif

Socreges

Banned
Discussed the PC version the GTAV thread. People had been warned since its discussion had been derailing GTAV threads.

Probably just a month or two and he'll be back.

They have another week or two to agree on something before a Dec. 1st season is out of the question. Fehr doesn't want a deal now when he could use that time to hold out for more.

Not that I have any hope, but spinning wheels indeed.

Quick

Banned
Discussed the PC version the GTAV thread. People had been warned since its discussion had been derailing GTAV threads.

Probably just a month or two and he'll be back.

Odd thing to ban about, I think.

Should've just made a thread for GTAV PC discussion, or just left it alone.

Or maybe I just don't understand the Gaming forum as much as I thought I did.

Silexx

I'm going to be a bastard and needlessly put your hopes up, but the charity game in Thunder Bay involving some of the Ottawa Senators players has been cancelled. Possibly because they're getting ready to go back to work?

Smiley90

I'm going to be a bastard and needlessly put your hopes up, but the charity game in Thunder Bay involving some of the Ottawa Senators players has been cancelled. Possibly because they're getting ready to go back to work?

Maybe Karlsson freaked out because they told him to play on the PK?

Socreges

Banned
Have you not read Fehr's memo?

Kifimbo

#CBA NHLPA will hold conference call now with executive board and negotiating committee to update on situation

#CBA Fehr said PA has "things to consider" but wouldn't say much beyond that. Sounds like league and union swapped more ideas

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Right now plan is for NHL and NHLPA not to meet again tonight, but perhaps reconvene tomorrow. However, told that could possibly change

Top Bottom