• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Good news I guess. This is from a Montreal media guy, who despite his name seems to be reliable. He called Latendresse signing with Ottawa a couple days before it happened. Seems like this may be one of the last real efforts to save a season at this point.

With how dumb players have sounded during this debacle, i'm not even sure they know the definition of the word "aggressive."

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

ZeroGravity

PA might finally be starting to move:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
PA moves off its position on guaranteed players share dollars + shifts more to the owners demand of a percentage base in the revenue split.
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
We're also hearing the NHLPA proposal will work off a percentage of HRR -- as requested by NHL -- and not a guaranteed dollar amount.

Plinko

We're hearing today's NHLPA proposal to NHL will include increasing the NHL's $211M Make Whole provision by another $180M.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No way this happens.

I could easily see the NHL walking out of that meeting going, "Season over." Why bother?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No way this happens.

I could easily see the NHL walking out of that meeting going, "Season over." Why bother?

The players are being perfectly reasonable. They are only asking them to basically double their offer, man you guys are uncultured.

Plinko

Weren't they initially going for something like $600 million?

This would be a good "meet in the middle" place, although I think the entire Make Whole provision is stupid to begin with.

I think the make whole numbers are not that important. If that is the case than NHL would budge. The biggest part is the linkage. If the PA comes with another de-linked proposal or a conditional linkage, then no season.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
‏@jprutherford

Andy McDonald says via text: "We submitted a proposal that addressed the League's concerns and believe it's the basis for an imminent deal."

Let's see how far belief and reality actually is ;))

Plinko

‏@jprutherford

Andy McDonald says via text: "We submitted a proposal that addressed the League's concerns and believe it's the basis for an imminent deal."

Of course you do.

Seriously, though, if they could salvage 60 games out of this season I'd be happy.

Socreges

Banned
‏@jprutherford

Could also serve to put the blame/pressure on the NHL. As much as it might be a reasonable proposal, it's also propaganda. Same thing the NHL has been doing. So, again, no reason to be optimistic.

Heretic

Anyone read Dreger's tweet about players pushing Fehr for changes?

Very interesting. I wonder what Walsh has to say about this.

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
The financial gap in CBA talks is on make whole payments. NHLPA asked for $393M today. League has previously offered $211

Dave Rogers ‏@Davemrogers
@reporterchris So that would indicate beyond make whole, NHLPA is going to 50-50 immediately?

@Davemrogers Yes.

Yes, 50-50 plus make whole. RT @mirtle: @reporterchris Yeah. The rest must be all 50-50.

I will not be hyped, nope... I can't, nope. Must resist.

ShaneB

Could also serve to put the blame/pressure on the NHL. As much as it might be a reasonable proposal, it's also propaganda. Same thing the NHL has been doing. So, again, no reason to be optimistic.

Exactly. The only time to get optimistic is when we hear what the other side has to say about any offers.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Brohams, calm down.

You've been through this many times. Hold back that enthusiasm and hope, save yourselfs.

I hate to see you guys hurt over and over again. :(

SaL22.jpg

DopeyFish

The issue will slightly be make whole

That's like 20-25% of salaries in one year

So it's 50/50 for x years

So imagine if steady at 3.3 billion

Year one 2.5 billion
Year two 3.3 billion onwards

Across 5 years = 15.7 billion rev

50/50 is 7.85 billion + $400 million = $8.25 billion

57 is $8.95 billion

That would make this proposal at about 52.5% which is a pretty decent jump from their BS offers

If rev falls, actual % will be higher. If rev goes up then it will get closer to 50/50

It's a decent risk to take imo

Fei

So, to review, NHLPA is prepared to go to 50-50 immediately, but wants $393M over four years as part of so-called "Make Whole."

This all sounds very reasonable to be honest. The Make Whole to me a fair request since the existing contracts were negotiated in good faith.

If we can actually take this at face-value, that could mean the framework is there. Wonder where they are on contractual issues.

Heretic

The issue will slightly be make whole

That's like 20-25% of salaries in one year

So it's 50/50 for x years

So imagine if steady at 3.3 billion

Year one 2.5 billion
Year two 3.3 billion onwards

Across 5 years = 15.7 billion rev

50/50 is 7.85 billion + $400 million = $8.25 billion

57 is $8.95 billion

That would make this proposal at about 52.5% which is a pretty decent jump from their BS offers

If rev falls, actual % will be higher. If rev goes up then it will get closer to 50/50

It's a decent risk to take imo
I'm liking this...

DopeyFish

They stand to lose so much money if the lockout continues so hopefully this will work.

It really is about a $1.2 million in cap space difference between the two proposals right now

This should lock up economic issues and move right towards contracts

Top Bottom