• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Sanjuro

And I thought my joke comparing Skyfall to Home Alone was supremely clever and then I saw it 20 times on Gaf when I got home from the theatre

I said it first. Gotta pay me the toll.

Saw the ESPN highlight: The NHLPA is apparently $182 million apart from a deal. Meanwhile, Alex Rodriguez still has roughly $144 million remaining on his Yankees contract.

Socreges

Banned
I said it first. Gotta pay me the toll.

Saw the ESPN highlight: The NHLPA is apparently $182 million apart from a deal. Meanwhile, Alex Rodriguez still has roughly $144 million remaining on his Yankees contract.
That's not really accurate now that we know more details. There are certain conditions that probably won't be agreed on, at least not today.

The NHL can either try to make a show of it and tell the media that the NHLPA is making unreasonable demands, etc etc

Or they can counter the proposal and continue to negotiate.

CREMSteve

Nick Cotsonika ‏@cotsonika

If revenues go down, the players' percentage will go up in the future, under this proposal.

This is LUDICROUS.

Sanjuro

That's not really accurate now that we know more details. There are certain conditions that probably won't be agreed on, at least not today.

The NHL can either try to make a show of it and tell the media that the NHLPA is making unreasonable demands, etc etc

Or they can counter the proposal and continue to negotiate.

It's ESPN, I don't think it is either. I'm just going with it and making the comparison for the sake of boredom.

CCF23

If revenue takes a nosedive then the CBA doesn't matter, the league will be in a shit ton of trouble

This. It should be a non-issue. Revenue increases virtually every year anyway.

...and really, this offer isn't that bad. It's not good enough to get a deal done, I don't think, but it's good enough to negotiate off of, which is what I expect the NHL to do.

The owners that already wanted to be on the ice are going to see even less reason to stay locked out after this offer. They're getting closer, and parties on both sides (a good chunk of players and owners) are going to make a big push to get this over with now.

I feel like there will be far too many people on both sides pushing their leadership to get something done for it to blow up, but hey, who knows.

CREMSteve

This can't be real.... can it?

It's definitely real.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

I lied. I'm back. Good catch by @KatieStrangESPN on this: In yrs 2 thru 5, players’ share in dollars may not be less than previous yr.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

NHL will find this problematic. Goes back towards "guaranteeing" dollars. In a linked-to-revenue system, those guarantees have not existed.

If revenues drop, the players' share rises. It's crazy.

Heretic

I would LOVE to see the NHLPA come out and say that they have cancelled the 2012-2013 NHL season just to see what the NHL would do haha.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
This can't be real.... can it?

Yes.

At first I said it was a fair deal- after more details came out its absolutely not fair

Player share can only rise or stay flat. NEVER decrease.

It's just as bad as all their other proposals

If the splits, the guarantees and whatever growth mechanism is destroyed, it's fair.

NHLPA is an embarrassment

CCF23

Honest question:

When was the last time NHL revenues decreased from the season before? Because obviously they'll take a hit with the shortened season, recover a bit the year after, and then likely continue the steady climb (maybe not to the level it was before).

The players money never falling is (in principal) a dumb idea, but in reality, is it ever really going to be an issue?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So... If the deal happens this way... Revenue goes up, everyone's happy. Revenue goes down, the league dies because player share goes UP with revenue DOWN so a death spiral starts? Fun times.

Socreges

Banned
Going just by what I've read here:

This could also be another bargaining procedure. If they give the NHL the deal without it, the NHL could try and lop off some of their share. If they include it, the NHL focuses on getting rid of the condition and is more likely to accept the rest.

Add to that how the offer *seems* to be totally reasonable and, in terms of optics, can back the NHL into a corner... so the owners might be more willing to negotiate than risk complaining.

[edit] Meeting is already over? I'd guess the NHL rejected it fullstop then.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL at that revenue deal for the players. No hockey this year.

Going just by what I've read here:

This could also be another bargaining procedure. If they give the NHL the deal without it, the NHL could try and lop off some of their share. If they include it, the NHL focuses on getting rid of the condition and is more likely to accept the rest.

Add to that how the offer *seems* to be totally reasonable and, in terms of optics, can back the NHL into a corner... so the owners might be more willing to negotiate than risk complaining.

[edit] Meeting is already over? I'd guess the NHL rejected it fullstop then.

American thanksgiving tomorrow, I'm sure a lot of them want to get home now

"Disappointing day"

Ah well

DopeyFish

Honest question:

When was the last time NHL revenues decreased from the season before? Because obviously they'll take a hit with the shortened season, recover a bit the year after, and then likely continue the steady climb (maybe not to the level it was before).

The players money never falling is (in principal) a dumb idea, but in reality, is it ever really going to be an issue?

Like 3-4 years ago there was negative growth- that was when the cap remained the same y/y

Mind you there's other issues beyond league control

What if Canadian dollar collapses again? Canadian teams would be beyond screwed

CCF23

Fuck the NHL for not even bargaining off this offer. You try and bargain out the "de-linkage" and you have the basis of a fair offer to work with. The fact that it looks like they rejected it full stop pisses me off to no end.

Yeah, the owners won't move on the money period. Fuck them.

CCF23

It makes sense that the NHL would hard-line now, though. YOu have to figure the only reason the PA stepped up with a "better" offer is because Fehr is starting to be pressured by a large group of players to make a push to get a deal done. The league has to know that.

Still. Fuck them. Seriously. fuck.them

Not even going to try and bargain out the de-linkage and then work off the offer from there.

DopeyFish

Fuck the NHL for not even bargaining off this offer. You try and bargain out the "de-linkage" and you have the basis of a fair offer to work with. The fact that it looks like they rejected it full stop pisses me off to no end.

It's more the NHLPA than the nhl, FYI

The offer you detailed is really just the nhl offer

The NHLPA offer appears close but its really not in the end

There's a difference between adding a larger make whole on top of the HRR NHL was offering and what the NHLPA proposed

The set salary cap, the set player shares, growth... They absolutely fuck over small nhl teams and jeopardize the nhl as a whole going forward

NHLPA doesn't have yours or the NHLs best interests (or even their own) at heart

These idiots want to destroy the nhl for a pay raise. Think about that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sorry--anybody backing the players after that ludicrous revenue clause is clueless. You can't guarantee an amount in this economy--anything can happen.

CCF23

Think I'll wait to see the more fleshed-out responses. Is either side addressing the media?

The PA did. They're frustrated.

NHL doing what the NHL does. Wait for the other side to make a proposal. "Thanks, we'll take that. We want more now."

Row

Banned
Sorry.

The NHL is totally negotiating in good faith. They're a saintly, supremely generous bunch. They should create a nobel bargaining prize and award it to them.

Given how much better nhlers have it compared to those in other leagues (pre-lockout, and if they accepted the nhl's first serious offer) even though revenues are so much smaller and no huge tv deal exists, the league is pretty generous

Quick

Banned
The PA did. They're frustrated.

NHL doing what the NHL does. Wait for the other side to make a proposal. "Thanks, we'll take that. We want more now."

Insert various GIFs Quick has in his folder showing confusion and disapproval here.

On my phone, no access to GIFs

What I expected to happen today:

NHLPA presents proposal.

NHL doesn't outright accept it.

NHLPA throws it's hands up in the air and digs in, blaming the NHL for not wanting to negotiate.

cube444

The meeting came at the same time the league is expected to cancel more games. According to sources, the NHL has decided to wipe the first two weeks of December off the schedule, which will bring the total lost during the lockout to more than 400 games

CCF23

The difference in numbers in the two proposals:

NHL:
55.5%

PA:
56.3%

It's ridiculous how close the numbers are. All the NHL needs to do is bargain out that stupid "player money can never go down" clause. The fact that they reportedly won't budge at ALL on player contracting issues is complete crap. Bargain out the "de-linkage" clause in this player proposal, split up the contracting issues and fucking finish this already.

The difference in numbers in the two proposals:

NHL:
55.5%

PA:
56.3%

It's ridiculous how close the numbers are. All the NHL needs to do is bargain out that stupid "player money can never go down" clause. The fact that they reportedly won't budge at ALL on player contracting issues is complete crap. Bargain out the "de-linkage" clause in this player proposal, split up the contracting issues and fucking finish this already.

The NHL hasn't spoken yet.

CCF23

The NHL hasn't spoken yet.

What are they going to say? They flat out rejected the offer.

If they had any intent to negotiate off of it they would've broken off, spoken about it, and reconvened.

It's a fair offer with the de-linkage bargained out and the contracting issues split up and compromised. In terms of HRR and revenue sharing (without the "player salaries can never go down" clause) the PA's offer is fair.

Top Bottom