• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Quick

Banned
I want to know what kind of mind control Fehr has implemented on these players. It's impossible that they're this deluded.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Wow, teammates turned on him quick, what a bunch of idiots.
Cole didn't play with him, but I'm surprised by Gorges comments.

I want to know what kind of mind control Fehr has implemented on these players. It's impossible that they're this deluded.
I'm not really surprised, most of them are just the jocks who actually went somewhere at the end of the day.

Montresor

Can someone give me an NHL-equivalent of that Jays trade that was made? I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to baseball. But I remember a week or two ago seeing the following headline on one of the Toronto Sun newspaper stands: "Move over Yankees, Red Sox, make way for the new beasts of the east."

Kinda made me laugh, not because I thought the Toronto Sun was exaggerating. Hell for all I know the Jays could have turned into a juggernaut with just one trade. But I laughed because I don't think a single trade could turn a team around in the NHL like that.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Can someone give me an NHL-equivalent of that Jays trade that was made? I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to baseball. But I remember a week or two ago seeing the following headline on one of the Toronto Sun newspaper stands: "Move over Yankees, Red Sox, make way for the new beasts of the east."

Kinda made me laugh, not because I thought the Toronto Sun was exaggerating. Hell for all I know the Jays could have turned into a juggernaut with just one trade. But I laughed because I don't think a single trade could turn a team around in the NHL like that.

Jays were lucky. The Marlins owner is a scumbag and pretty much unloaded all the big contracts (best players) he had in return for young cheap talent.

This is not a deal you would ever really see happen. Just right time at the right place really.

I guess off the top of my head an NHL equivalent would be something along the lines of...

Canucks trading Luongo, Kesler, and whoever their third line center is (drawing a blank right now sorry Canucks-GAF) to Toronto for Kadri, Frattin, Kulemin and one of our fourth liners.

And then the Leafs going out and signing Corey Perry to a short term cap friendly deal.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Don't think I could do it Daaaaavey. It hurt too much last time.

You know you want to. From the patchnotes:

GM Connected
• New - Trade messaging has been added to the mode.
• Speed up Hub loading times.
• Improved responsiveness when scrolling through the Main Menu to reduce accidently scrolling past the option players want to select.
• Improved scrolling when looking to selecting a team on the trade player screen and select team screen.

• Users should no longer be able to adjust the gameplay sliders during a CPU game.
• Improved responsiveness of league search screens.
• Fixed an issue that would sometimes cause a crash when bringing up the player list on the Trade Player screen.
• Fixed an issue where the game would sometimes crash while backing out of the mailbox screen.
• Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash while loading into the GM Connected HUB.
• Fixed a rare crash that could occur when proposing a trade to a CPU team (also fixed in Be-A-GM).

Jays were lucky. The Marlins owner is a scumbag and pretty much unloaded all the big contracts (best players) he had in return for young cheap talent.

This is not a deal you would ever really see happen. Just right time at the right place really.

I guess off the top of my head an NHL equivalent would be something along the lines of...

Canucks trading Luongo, Kesler, and whoever their third line center is (drawing a blank right now sorry Canucks-GAF) to Toronto for Kadri, Frattin, Kulemin and one of our fourth liners.

And then the Leafs going out and signing Corey Perry to a short term cap friendly deal.

Hopefully the Jays aren't killed by injuries next year too. Actually excited for a season for once.

Socreges

Banned
We don't truly have one. It was Malhotra before his injury (and he was awesome) and then Hodgson (gone) and then Pahlsson (rental only). If the lockout lasts long enough maybe it'll be Schroeder.

The one vacancy in the lineup right now. I'm sure Burke has offered up Bozak as trade bait.

LOL you guys need to check out the video on TSN called Disappointing Day, that fat guy from earlier basically breathing down Fehr's neck and his reaction when Fehr talks lol.

That fat guy is amazing, and the tweets by players at the end are just laughable. The kool aid must be strong for this union.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Wherein Erik Cole bashes Roman Hamrlik and defends the "Puck Bettman" caps that HE made: http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/cole-carves-hamrlik-not-surprised-by-nhls-rejection

I thought Erik was extremely ignorant for not realizing that 700+ players of wildly varying ages (18-40+), salaries (less than 100k per year to 10M+ per year), and circumstance (families, lifestyles, cities, etc.) could feel differently about this lockout, but I didn't realize he was also the one that came up with those stupid "Puck Bettman" hats.

Cole said he’s aware that some have been offended by the hat he had made up that reads “Puck Bettman/2012-13/NHL Lockout” and has been worn by a number of players in recent days. He’s had a conversation with the NHLPA about the hat, which he had privately produced for use by players.

“I wouldn’t call it heat,” he said of his communication with union brass. “I did receive a (PA) text, yeah, saying, ‘It’s probably not a good idea.’ I got a text saying we need to refrain from making personal attacks. I said that, technically, it’s not a personal attack, but rather voicing a small gesture of our displeasure. My thing back to the PA was, ‘Why can’t people see the humour in some things? This was more to lighten the mood of the guys.’ ”

That said, Cole said he won’t wear the hat in interview situations to avoid the perception that it’s NHLPA-approved.

“But I’m not going to stop wearing it,” he said, chuckling, “because it’s a pretty comfy hat, to be quite honest with you. I don’t see where it’s all that harmful to anything, quite frankly.

“Some of the messages I receive from people say it’s a legitimate thing and we probably could sell them to raise a lot of money for charity. That’s a possibility and I’ll look into it, that’s for sure.”

What a fucking idiot.

Smiley90

Just trying to keep dstrdl from being bored.

Look we all know you're quitting, no reason to be salty and keep others from having fun. Some of us (and I know this might be hard for you to understand) actually enjoy the mode.

Smiley90

You're an outlier though, seeing as you live for this shit.

Neither am I the only one (hey, I wasn't even the one who asked whether it was possible or not to control two teams), nor does that mean it's the right thing to keep others away from the mode, simply because you personally dislike it. If Dastardly doesn't want to join because he dislikes it that's his call, but if his complaint was about menu speed, then that problem has been solved. Can't blame me for trying to advertise the league, I even put my own money into it to add some more incentive, and then disliking when others put it down because they personally dislike it.

Marvie_3

Banned
Neither am I the only one (hey, I wasn't even the one who asked whether it was possible or not to control two teams), nor does that mean it's the right thing to keep others away from the mode, simply because you personally dislike it. If Dastardly doesn't want to join because he dislikes it that's his call, but if his complaint was about menu speed, then that problem has been solved.

Not really. Cycling through menus is a bit faster but you still have to redownload everything all the time.

Smiley90

Not really. Cycling through menus is a bit faster but you still have to redownload everything all the time.

I'm not sure what you do, but you download it once when you enter (which is like 20seconds, tops), then you quickly cycle to the lines, edit them, and you're out. That's it. If you don't care for that, then all you have to do is resign players once a season/every 3 real-life weeks. It's not like it's much work.

Socreges

Banned
Just trying to keep dstrdl from being bored.
You were loving that shit. Then suddenly you turned on us, brother. Our own commish!

Was it at this moment? Or maybe this one? Or perhaps it was this.

j/k all love dont be angry

Red's moment was no mystery, though. Discovering that you don't actually have the 1st overall pick that you've been trying to trade has to cut deep.

Tabris

I'm not sure what you do, but you download it once when you enter (which is like 20seconds, tops), then you quickly cycle to the lines, edit them, and you're out. That's it. If you don't care for that, then all you have to do is resign players once a season/every 3 real-life weeks. It's not like it's much work.

Re-signing players was like a 30 minute process for me this season as it had to re-load the list every time. It was absolutely brutal.

Socreges

Banned
For about a month. Then you realize what a pain in the ass it is.
Almost two months!

And the menu loading is indefensible, I agree. Simming must be frustrating, too. I've actually learned to multitask while going through the menus, though. *shrug*

Re-signing players was like a 30 minute process for me this season as it had to re-load the list every time. It was absolutely brutal.
That reminds me.... weren't you out of town? How did you get your guys signed?

Only the half of it. Remember that beautiful, new, expensive stadium? Built with a lot of city money because he threatened to move team. Also the change in logo and name? Drove up apparel sales. So what does he do with the city picking up much of the stadium costs and new merch revenue? He liquidated the salary for cheap, young talent for the purpose of more profit by slashing costs. Scumbag move is only the tip of it, he has literally scammed the city out of money to line his pockets. The league should not have allowed the trade. The Marlins have been severely damaged by this and will be hurting for at least the next 5 years, but the owner has the city to cover most of the expenses and does not need to have a good field product to line his pockets it is disgusting.

I think it more comparable if Edmonton picks up the tab for a new arena and RNH, Hall, Eberle and Schultz are all in big contracts. Oilers ownership then trades the 4 and all their major contracts for prospects and 2-way contracts.

EDIT: But a deal like that could not happen in the NHL because of the cap floor.

Socreges

Banned
I checked late in the night before my flight and it gave me option to re-sign. Then I had to spend 30 minutes waiting on fucking loading. It's brutal.
Yeah, it's the 'Contracts' menu. The other ones have all been improved, but going through Contracts is still slow for some reason. The only time I actually look at it is during the resigning stage when there's no alternative. Frustrating if you're pressed for time.

Socreges

Banned
Only the half of it. Remember that beautiful, new, expensive stadium? Built with a lot of city money because he threatened to move team. Also the change in logo and name? Drove up apparel sales. So what does he do with the city picking up much of the stadium costs and new merch revenue? He liquidated the salary for cheap, young talent for the purpose of more profit by slashing costs. Scumbag move is only the tip of it, he has literally scammed the city out of money to line his pockets. The league should not have allowed the trade. The Marlins have been severely damaged by this and will be hurting for at least the next 5 years, but the owner has the city to cover most of the expenses and does not need to have a good field product to line his pockets it is disgusting.

I think it more comparable if Edmonton picks up the tab for a new arena and RNH, Hall, Eberle and Schultz are all in big contracts. Oilers ownership then trades the 4 and all their major contracts for prospects and 2-way contracts.

EDIT: But a deal like that could not happen in the NHL because of the cap floor.
I wish I still followed baseball so I could appreciate the consequences of the trade. Seems fascinating, but I've only kinda heard of just one of the players so it's all meaningless to me.

Smiley90

Yeah, it's the 'Contracts' menu. The other ones have all been improved, but going through Contracts is still slow for some reason. The only time I actually look at it is during the resigning stage when there's no alternative. Frustrating if you're pressed for time.

Yeah, the contracts screen for some reason is slow as hell. The worst part is trying to release a player, I've given up on doing that, it takes forever for some reason. On the bright side, you have to do it once every 3 weeks only and have 3 full days time for it.

Why is he a "scumbag" in the first place, when it looks like he brutally lost in that trade... or am I missing something here? Why did he have to trade all the good stuff away for nothing in return... Couldn't he have asked for a better return oO

Tabris

He didn't brutally lose, but what he did was a full blow up and rebuild after the city of Miami bought him a new stadium. Essentially turned his team into a bottom feeder for the next 5 years and by the time those players get good, he'll probably sell them off. Baseball has 0 parity without a salary cap. Gotta spend a lot of money (that more than 50% can't afford) to be at all competitive except if you have some crazy moneyball system or get lucky with some players getting good at the same time before you sell them off.

The amount of money Miami invested, they expected a mid-range to top spending team (aka a competitive team). They won't be now for sure unless the 2 above things happen.

Smiley90

He didn't brutally lose, but what he did was a full blow up and rebuild after the city of Miami bought him a new stadium. Essentially turned his team into a bottom feeder for the next 5 years and by the time those players get good, he'll probably sell them off. Baseball has 0 parity without a salary cap. Gotta spend a lot of money (that more than 50% can't afford) to be at all competitive except if you have some crazy moneyball system or get lucky with some good players at the same time before you sell them off.

The amount of money Miami invested, they expected a mid-range to top spending team (aka a competitive team). They won't be now for sure unless the 2 above things happen.

But why did he have to sell the players in the first place? did he realize he wouldn't have enough money to pay all of them, so he decided "if i can't have them all, I'm better off not having any for the next 5 years"? or what

But why did he have to sell the players in the first place? did he realize he wouldn't have enough money to pay all of them, so he decided "if i can't have them all, I'm better off not having any for the next 5 years"? or what

Marlins get a lot of money in revenue sharing, he has been accused of pocketing that money every year

He loaded the team with stars for when the stadium opened so he could attract people and maybe have a winning team

The contracts are heavily backloaded so he had a lot of talent for under market value last season

Now that he has his stadium he doesn't care if he has a winner or not and is going to make even more money

Didn't the Martins clean house after their two championships? Is this the same owner?

He owned them during the 2nd World Series........but he owned the Expos before that and consistently traded away all the promising/amazing young players when it came time to pay them

Top Bottom