• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Neither am I the only one
You get off to this shit like no one else.

Smiley90 said:
nor does that mean it's the right thing to keep others away from the mode, simply because you personally dislike it.
We're just giving him a fair warning.

Red's moment was no mystery, though. Discovering that you don't actually have the 1st overall pick that you've been trying to trade has to cut deep.
That didn't help but the novelty of the mode wore off rather quick, combined with the bullshit injuries (I know they're realistic, still seems ridiculous), fucking awful menus, and I'm still bitter from losing that first cup when my third line center was an 81. Rather spend my time in EASHL / Halo.

Socreges

Banned
You get off to this shit like no one else.
I'm up there. Love the mode. Little time required and building my team over three seasons into a powerhouse has been fun. Started with good prospects (and few vets) so that made a difference.

That didn't help but the novelty of the mode wore off rather quick, combined with the bullshit injuries (I know they're realistic, still seems ridiculous), fucking awful menus, and I'm still bitter from losing that first cup when my third line center was an 81. Rather spend my time in EASHL / Halo.
Fair enough. I was convinced you'd beat Crazed, too. Your team was sick.

But why did he have to sell the players in the first place? did he realize he wouldn't have enough money to pay all of them, so he decided "if i can't have them all, I'm better off not having any for the next 5 years"? or what
What BigJonsson said. If he wanted to rebuild he could've traded the excess and maintained the core group. He didn't. What is going on is running up the profit margin by lowering the team cost. Miami is taking most of the stadium costs, he is cashing revenue sharing checks, and now the salary is as low as possible. It really is despicable. He not only is scamming the city but also the revenue sharing system. I hope the league will step in at one point but the Marlins' future is bleak for a long time to come.

Great news for the Cats though, now if there can just be a damn season.

Kifimbo

Sorry if old, but Erik Cole pissed at Hamrlik:

“I am bent on this one, yeah,” Cole, 34, said Wednesday evening, so angry that for the first minute or two of our conversation he spoke in phrases and half-sentences, stopping to reconstruct his thoughts.

“This (Hamrlik) is one guy out of 700-plus guys (in the NHLPA), this is the one guy who’s actually tried to have conversations with some of the guys we’ve skated with (during the lockout) and they’ve all just been, ‘Hammer, seriously, wake up.’

“For him to come out and say this, it’s the most selfish thing I’ve heard during the lockout. Without a doubt. It’s just disappointing. You’d think the veteran guys are the guys who’d take more pride in what other veteran guys sacrificed in the last lockout, how we all benefited from that as a group. Some guys never played again.

“That’s … I don’t know, for me, and I’m not over 35 or anything, but being an older player, (expletive), I feel grateful to the guys who gave me the opportunity to earn what I’ve earned in this game. Out of that I feel a responsibility, not entitlement. Maybe that’s just the difference between Hamrlik and me.”

Cole wouldn’t hear of Hamrlik’s comments, as reported in English, being the product of dicey translation or remarks that were taken out of context.

“If he (says) that then I wouldn’t believe him,” he said of Hamrlik, “because of the things he’s said previously to the guys who have been in the (barnstorming charity) Tournée des joueurs.

“Because of his conversations with Josh (Habs NHLPA rep Josh Gorges), some of the things he’s said to him in private conversations and Josh has been just like, ‘Is this guy serious?’ We couldn’t believe what his stance was on certain things.

“If he were sitting in a dressing room across from me tonight…” Cole said, the rest of that sentence off the record. “I’d be all over him on the ice. I’m pissed at him. If that’s his opinion, then he should just stay over there (in the Czech Republic).

“As a veteran guy, especially him, he’s been around awhile… other veteran players have sacrificed their careers for the last CBA, missed out on a year, 240 guys never played another game,” Cole continued.

“For me, I don’t look at this lockout and see what I’m not earning as the entitlement to, ‘Let’s get a deal done and let’s get playing.’ I see it as an opportunity to repay an opportunity that was given to me.

“That’s what this is supposed to be about, that’s what makes hockey players different. You sacrifice something for the people coming behind you. That’s where the respect factor comes in. Whoever’s kid is the best kid on your son’s hockey team, you want that kid to have the same opportunity that you’ve had. That’s what it’s about. Hamrlik is unbelievable.”

Basically, Hamrlik is now a pariah.

Source: http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/cole-carves-hamrlik-not-surprised-by-nhls-rejection

And I like Hamrlik more. Good on him for speaking his mind.

Neither am I the only one (hey, I wasn't even the one who asked whether it was possible or not to control two teams), nor does that mean it's the right thing to keep others away from the mode, simply because you personally dislike it. If Dastardly doesn't want to join because he dislikes it that's his call, but if his complaint was about menu speed, then that problem has been solved. Can't blame me for trying to advertise the league, I even put my own money into it to add some more incentive, and then disliking when others put it down because they personally dislike it.

Hey, with nothing but two months on my hands then I've got more than enough time for such a thing. Especially since it has NHLGAF and with the promo work you've put in it. I'll give it another try and if I don't like it then I'll go fuck myself, in the mouth, with a beer.

What makes you so certain? I asked before and no one gave me an answer.

I agree, I don't think they're cracking anytime soon.

The players are losing money they'll never get back. The average NHL career is 5 years, most of these guys do not have long term contracts and can easily be replaced by prospects on ELC deals. Unlike baseball, the owners do not rely on the NHL to make money, not that the teams make a lot of profit to begin with so the owners will not be going broke anytime soon. Reality is slowly sinking in right about now.

Fehr has unified them and convinced them that they need to fall on their swords together for the union and that the NHL's offers will get better over time but as time goes on most of them are just losing money and careers so that future stars can get more. Pretty much every ex-player from the last lockout has said the millions they lost holding out wasn't worth it. And no the NHL will not compensate their losses either if that's how Fehr has convinced them.

Of course the players will condemn Hamrlik, he may have weakened their position the NHL will see this as a sign of weakness. The NHLPA will call him as a lone dissident but that's extremely unlikely. He's just the first one with the balls to say anything publicly.

This sums it up:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-..._cba_nhl_players_are_losing_and_they_know_it/

CREMSteve

Hamrlik is applauded amongst the fans of the game, while the players all ostracize him.

I've said it before, and I will say it again because it bears repeating.

Fuck the NHLPA.

Socreges

Banned
Hey, with nothing but two months on my hands then I've got more than enough time for such a thing. Especially since it has NHLGAF and with the promo work you've put in it. I'll give it another try and if I don't like it then I'll go fuck myself, in the mouth, with a beer.
What a coup.

Montresor

Only the half of it. Remember that beautiful, new, expensive stadium? Built with a lot of city money because he threatened to move team. Also the change in logo and name? Drove up apparel sales. So what does he do with the city picking up much of the stadium costs and new merch revenue? He liquidated the salary for cheap, young talent for the purpose of more profit by slashing costs. Scumbag move is only the tip of it, he has literally scammed the city out of money to line his pockets. The league should not have allowed the trade. The Marlins have been severely damaged by this and will be hurting for at least the next 5 years, but the owner has the city to cover most of the expenses and does not need to have a good field product to line his pockets it is disgusting.

I think it more comparable if Edmonton picks up the tab for a new arena and RNH, Hall, Eberle and Schultz are all in big contracts. Oilers ownership then trades the 4 and all their major contracts for prospects and 2-way contracts.

EDIT: But a deal like that could not happen in the NHL because of the cap floor.

That's so much more scandalous than what Kave_Man suggested. Awesome dicsussion, thanks kave, tabris, dub, et al for talking about that trade. Would be nice for the Jays to become good next year.

ShaneB

Hamrlik is applauded amongst the fans of the game, while the players all ostracize him.

Fuck the NHLPA.

Yup. I appreciate any player that speaks the truth when knowing it takes two sides to make a deal, so I'll applaud any player that calls out Fehr instead of placing the blame always on Bettman.

Nice of Cole to come out and explain that he and others understand that this is money that they will never get back but feel that it is a responsibility to stand up.

The "They will never get their moneyback, (neither will the owners but they are rich so it doesn´t matter lolz) argument has been thrown around to many times as a proof that the players are stupid.

There are so many other things showing that players are stupid, so just use the valid ones.

I just that Hamrlik won´t get too much trouble for this though. Him going out showing that he cared for the money was enough, no need to hate on him. He can value that more and it is understandable.

gcubed

anyone going to Operation Hat Trick on Saturday? I got a handful of tickets when they went on sale for my wife and family... figure its the only time i'm going to see professional hockey players in person this year

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
That's so much more scandalous than what Kave_Man suggested. Awesome dicsussion, thanks kave, tabris, dub, et al for talking about that trade. Would be nice for the Jays to become good next year.

The Jays still might not be done with roster adjustments though. But even with what they have now they should be solid this year.

But I am a broken down Toronto sports fan, unlike a lot of other people who are expecting a shot at the World Series I will just be happy if they're within a game or two of the playoffs by the end of the year. :(

Revenant

so i'm spending my thanksgiving sick on the couch, turned on the tv and "The Love Guru" was on.

you know the fact this has the leafs all over it really makes a lot of sense.

so i'm spending my thanksgiving sick on the couch, turned on the tv and "The Love Guru" was on.

you know the fact this has the leafs all over it really makes a lot of sense.

Sick here too. My son started it with pneumonia, now me, my wife and my other son are all sick too.

And parents and in-laws coming over this afternoon for turkey dinner.

Happy Ugh-giving.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
And I like Hamrlik more. Good on him for speaking his mind.

Weehee :p The playoffs are about to start, but without your leadership Anaheim didn't make it! :D join anytime, thread is this way: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=486538&page=31#post44602477

(Sorry for mobile link, hope it works)

EDIT: looks like you DO have the second overall pick before the lottery though! Draft class seemed pretty good, but final rankings aren't out yet.

ShaneB

Bissonnette layin some truth bombs. I'm impressed.

"I just try to stay away from carving anyone. Gary Bettman's just trying to do his job. I know that's against what we're about as far as the players are concerned. But I know he's the messenger. If they're going to pay him $8 million to save them hundreds of millions, well, there's a lot of people listening that would do the same job for the money he makes," Bissonnette, better known as “BizNasty,” said.

“I'm more upset with a guy like (Boston Bruins owner Jeremy) Jacobs. It just sounds so hypocritical for him to think the last CBA was so awful and how garbage it was, and then go out and sign three of his top guys (Milan Lucic, Brad Marchand and Tyler Seguin) right before the last one expired. If it was that bad, why rush to sign those guys? Why not wait until the new CBA comes?"

Heretic

Bissonnette layin some truth bombs. I'm impressed.

"I just try to stay away from carving anyone. Gary Bettman's just trying to do his job. I know that's against what we're about as far as the players are concerned. But I know he's the messenger. If they're going to pay him $8 million to save them hundreds of millions, well, there's a lot of people listening that would do the same job for the money he makes," Bissonnette, better known as “BizNasty,” said.

“I'm more upset with a guy like (Boston Bruins owner Jeremy) Jacobs. It just sounds so hypocritical for him to think the last CBA was so awful and how garbage it was, and then go out and sign three of his top guys (Milan Lucic, Brad Marchand and Tyler Seguin) right before the last one expired. If it was that bad, why rush to sign those guys? Why not wait until the new CBA comes?"

Damn. I guess he isn't a COMPLETE douche

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Hamrlik elaborated on his comments and responded (politely) to Cole's criticism:
On Thursday, Hamrlik said in an interview with The Globe and Mail that while he wasn’t taking back his comments, he also wants it made known he will support whatever the players decide.

His frustration, however, is over the 130 or so games (and counting) he has lost in his 20-year career to labour disputes.

“This is nothing against any of the players,” Hamrlik said. “I stand with them. We are all together in this. And we want a great deal. A fair deal. Everybody’s losing in this right now. Owners, players, fans.

“The fans are the reason for hockey. Some cities won’t be able to recover their fans for future seasons. I just want to say I’ve been in the league for 20 years and faced three lockouts and there’s only 14 other guys that have done that. I believe I’ve earned the right to say what I think.

“If someone thinks I’m selfish. I may be, but it’s selfish to play hockey. Like everybody else, I want to win the Cup with the Capitals, or at least have a chance.”

As for his comments on Fehr, Hamrlik recanted slightly, saying that for now he backed the NHLPA leader.

“About Fehr, I just think time is against us,” he said. “We need the solution. I think this is a fight between two groups that have too much pride.”
source

It's crazy that it's taken this long for a sensible player to finally shed some sense on the lockout. The NHL should give Hamrlik the Cup just for the hell of it (since it probably won't be handed out this year).

Smiley90

Not profit, doesn't include their operating costs.

So this should more be like "Coyotes owner gaining 50k dollars each day vs if the season was happening" and it would be more accurate. (Made-up number, no idea how much Phoenix lost per day last season.)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle
Hamrlik on Erik Cole's comments: "I’m sure he got a nice signing bonus this summer so he didn’t sacrifice anything."

;)

Marvie_3

Banned
So this should more be like "Coyotes owner gaining 50k dollars each day vs if the season was happening" and it would be more accurate. (Made-up number, no idea how much Phoenix lost per day last season.)

The 2004-05 lockout was the best season financially for the Coyotes.

Smiley90

The 2004-05 lockout was the best season financially for the Coyotes.

I kinda wanna find out what the exact number for 2/3 of the owners is now. And then find out the number for players. Then listen to Fehr saying players are in a better position the longer the lockout lasts. ARITHMETIC WINS AGAIN. /Clinton

Number being money won/lost for owners vs players

Marvie_3

Banned
I kinda wanna find out what the exact number for 2/3 of the owners is now. And then find out the number for players. Then listen to Fehr saying players are in a better position the longer the lockout lasts. ARITHMETIC WINS AGAIN. /Clinton

Number being money won/lost for owners vs players
bill.jpg

Fuck the NHLPA.

As much as we all agree with Hamrlik he's still going against the union with his comments. Thats a big no-no for any union, not just the NHLPA.

Red_Man

Gorge's and Cole have a point in that Hamrilk hasn't been involved in this process in any capacity, so to hear him go off like that would be annoying. It's like people who don't vote and then complain about shit for years.

Marvie_3

Banned
Gorge's and Cole have a point in that Hamrilk hasn't been involved in this process in any capacity, so to hear him go off like that would be annoying. It's like people who don't vote and then complain about shit for years.

George Carlin said:
If you vote, and you elect dishonest, incompetent politicians, and they get into office and screw everything up, you are responsible for what they have done. You voted them in. You caused the problem. You have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote -- who did not even leave the house on Election Day -- am in no way responsible for that these politicians have done and have every right to complain about the mess that you created."

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
The Jays still might not be done with roster adjustments though. But even with what they have now they should be solid this year.

But I am a broken down Toronto sports fan, unlike a lot of other people who are expecting a shot at the World Series I will just be happy if they're within a game or two of the playoffs by the end of the year. :(
Sports in Toronto...lowered expectations... :(

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nhl/168724/neuvirth-this-lockout-is-about-superstars

Michal Neuvirth supports Roman Hamrlik's recent statements criticizing NHLPA boss Donald Fehr and the current state of the lockout.

"I agree 100% with Hammer," Neuvirth said. "This lockout is not about majority of players, i think. It is about several superstars with big contracts." Unlike Hamrlik, Neuvirth is a young player with his entire career ahead of him, so he'll have to live with the new CBA longer than most. He'll also have to live with the repercussions if this lockout ends up slowing or even stopping rate of growth the NHL has enjoyed in recent years.

Go go NHLPA unity lol

Smiley90

Red_Man

Dredger's just off his rocker, the lockout has hit him hard. I wouldn't be surprised if his wife gets home to find him in a lazy boy with empty crown royal bottles all around him, hair in a mess, muttering "fucking Allan Walsh" while staring at his phone.

MacAttack

The Red Sox and to a lesser extent Yankees are probably going to be bad next season, so any progress Toronto makes in the offseason is going to look good in comparison. The real competition in the division will be Baltimore and Tampa.

I don't think any of the AL East teams will be WS contenders but it will be a tight division next season.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I hope players decertify

They lose all rights and will eventually sign a new CBA when they realize nhl would be paying less money and the need to have lawyers present to write out the entire contract on TOP of the agent lol

It would snap em in half

I hope players decertify

They lose all rights and will eventually sign a new CBA when they realize nhl would be paying less money and the need to have lawyers present to write out the entire contract on TOP of the agent lol

It would snap em in half

And no draft. Players like Mackinnon and jones would essentially be free agents, which would fuck over the shitty and/or small market teams hardcore

Decertification would mean kiss the season goodbye and no guarantee you win anything in court.

Not sure how it works but NFL had a draft even though the union decertified

Top Bottom