• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Quick

Banned
For some time, apparently.

Anyways, one of my upcoming projects related to the NHL just got mothballed. Shit's going down, fellas.

ibr0X3ELJbWKHt.gif

For some time, apparently.

Anyways, one of my upcoming projects related to the NHL just got mothballed. Shit's going down, fellas.

If it was a sequel to NHL 3-on-3 Arcade I'm going to be really pissed.

Jeezus christ, if it was in any way related to a Hitz remake or a sequel to 3-on-3 or ANY SORT of fun downloadable hockey title... Then, well... *hand on heart, slowly start hyperventilating...*

I'm assuming the reason is because the lockout has now degenerated interest in anything NHL related?

Some of the questions (SO MANY OF THEM TO LINK!)

M. Schneider:

• What team do you best associate yourself with?
-- For me it would be Montreal / Detroit.

• Lidstrom, Yzerman or Fedorov?
-- All great, different players;.

• How many games would Aaron Rome have received for hitting Nathan Horton if it happened in the 2012 playoffs?
-- Ask Brendan Shanahan.

• Hello from a hockey fan in India. All I want to say is stay strong and many fans support you. As much as I want hockey to be back, I want players to stand up to NHL for young players today and tomorrow. Bettman and the owners have locked out the players every time CBA has been up. If the players cave in this time,expect Bettman to lock you out again the next time and then you can say goodbye to guaranteed contracts, some contracting rights and further share of the revenue. As far as the AMA question is concerned, what are your thoughts on Hamrlik' recent outburst? I know that Brouwer, Cole and Marty Brodeur have called him out on it.
-- India, wow! Thanks. We have over 700 members and they are all encouraged to voice their opinions, attend meetings internally and with the NHL. Sometimes you'll see frustration, but we have a very strong membership.

• What got you into sports?
-- My dad Sam

• As an 8 year-old when the Canadians won their last Stanley Cup, I just want to give special thanks and props to Mathieu. I idolized you as a kid and collected a lot of your hockey cards. Your 1993-1994 season was incredible, and is something no Habs fan has ever forgotten, I promise you. Now to my quick question: To what extent is the NHLPA considering decertification given the current status of negotiations? This is bearing in mind that the process will take a minimum of 45 days, and because of the threat of lawsuits at the individual level, could drag on in courts for a long time, with the end result of no hockey for a prolonged period.
-- Thanks! The 93' cup win was very special to me. Obviously we can't discuss any potential bargaining strategies. It's been discussed as it was used in other sports.

• How optimistic are you that a new CBA will be agreed upon? It seemed at the start of all this everyone was optimistic, however seeing how the current negotiations have stalled, what is the general feeling with the players?
-- It's inevitable that a deal will reached. I'll steal Don Fehr's line again, "I'm out of the prediction business." The Players are angry and frustrated, but every morning when we wake up we're optimistic that we can reach a deal.

D. Backes:

• As a Penguins fan, I hear the fans' opinions of Sidney Crosby. I would like to hear some players' opinions. What is he like to play against? What is your opinion of him?
-- Honest answer is that he is the best player in the game bar none. That being said he is always looking for an edge and that includes working the officials which rubs a lot of guys the wrong way. I haven't had kind feelings for him until this summer working with him in the negotiating room and seeing who is as a person. He is a true ambassador for the game and someone who has gained my respect.

• In 2008, you signed an offer sheet from the Canucks. Did you really have interest in playing with the Canucks, or was it just a negotiating tactic to earn a better contract with the Blues? I think you would have looked sick next to the Sedins in the final against Boston.
-- The offer sheet is part of hockey as a business. I like Vancouver and have some great memories there during the Olympics and regular season. That being said, I love playing for the Blues and St Louis has treated me like one of there own, I am proud to call it home.

• How good do you think Vladimir Tarasenko will be? Do you see him as the best player on the team in a couple of years?
-- Tarasenko is a great talent and I cant wait to see how his game translates to the NHL, hopefully sooner than later.

• What got you into sports?
-- Coming from a smaller town all of my school friends were going to play baseball and I joined, they then went to hockey and I followed. I guess I owe them a lot for helping me on my way to playing professional hockey.

• Who is the biggest clown/practical joker in the locker room? What is the greatest prank pulled by a team member (that your willing to share)?
-- Biggest clown is Scott Nichol by far, I think he is still 8 years old at heart. He is always up to something.

• How would you compare playing for Hitch to skating under Andy Murray and Davis Payne?
-- Hitch has preparation skills similar to Andy but it is hard to compare because my role has changed from coach to coach.

• What is your favorite bar in St. Louis?
-- Favorite bar in St. Louis is maybe OB Clarks or JP Fields.

K. Westgarth

• Hi all! Kevin, my wife (Carey-Jo) claims she was in the musical Grease with you in high school, and you were Danny, and you were great. Is there any truth to this? She was shocked when she passed by the TV and saw you on the screen! Big congrats from the two of us!
-- There is truth to this. Thank god there weren't any camera phones back then.

ShaneB

So, time for some hockey debates.

I've mentioned before how I'd love to see fighting out of hockey, but it made me realize fighting isn't so much the issue, it's how the players feel fighting is the way to self police and protect their teammates. Protect from what?

Often times a fight come from someone getting a bad hit. I know the league is trying to get rid of "bad hits", but why not just get rid of hitting all together? Definitely not body contact as I know I do enjoy Hockey being a physical game, but eliminating hitting to a certain extent would clean up the game for the BETTER.

Any debate? It can be argued that the absolute best hockey comes every 4 years.... the Olympics. The best players in the world playing for their country and taking great pride in trying their best to win. What does the Olympic showcase? Talent, and definitely not lineups full of 4 line goons.

Sure there have been big hits and crazy antics in Olympic/International hockey, but when Olympic Hockey is going on, it's not like anyone is missing big hits or fighting, we're just in awe of how awesome Hockey can be when played to its full potential.

I know it's pie in the sky and will never happen, but it's sure nice to think of a NHL roster full of talented players, instead of say a roster half talent, and the other half is there to protect the talent.

quick edit: When those 4th liners or "on the edge" players have made comments like "well, if I didn't make that hit, I'd be out of a job"... well who gives a shit if you're out of a job? The hit you made put another player out and affected their career. If you don't have a job hockey is a cleaner sport for it.

Maybe I'm rambling, but I thought it would be something to discuss. :)

Sure there have been big hits and crazy antics in Olympic/International hockey, but when Olympic Hockey is going on, it's not like anyone is missing big hits or fighting, we're just in awe of how awesome Hockey can be when played to its full potential.

I think the biggest problem is an 82 game season. There are so many games that most of them are meaningless. You don't start seeing some real intensity until the drive for the playoffs starts and the teams gunning for the post season step it up. Of course the post season really gets exciting once potential elimination is on the line.

Look at the NFL and it's 16 game season. Almost every game is important.

Solo

NHL needs 20-something less games for sure. I do NOT want to be watching hockey in fucking June.

Start the season in October as usual, play 64 games, playoffs start in early March, Cup awarded in late April.

Marvie_3

Banned
So, time for some hockey debates.

I've mentioned before how I'd love to see fighting out of hockey, but it made me realize fighting isn't so much the issue, it's how the players feel fighting is the way to self police and protect their teammates. Protect from what?

Often times a fight come from someone getting a bad hit. I know the league is trying to get rid of "bad hits", but why not just get rid of hitting all together? Definitely not body contact as I know I do enjoy Hockey being a physical game, but eliminating hitting to a certain extent would clean up the game for the BETTER.

Any debate? It can be argued that the absolute best hockey comes every 4 years.... the Olympics. The best players in the world playing for their country and taking great pride in trying their best to win. What does the Olympic showcase? Talent, and definitely not lineups full of 4 line goons.

I know it's pie in the sky and will never happen, but it's sure nice to think of a NHL roster full of talented players, instead of say a roster half talent, and the other half is there to protect the talent.

quick edit: When those 4th liners or "on the edge" players have made comments like "well, if I didn't make that hit, I'd be out of a job"... well who gives a shit if you're out of a job? The hit you made put another player out and affected their career. If you don't have a job hockey is a cleaner sport for it.

Maybe I'm rambling, but I thought it would be something to discuss. :)
The reason the hockey is better during the Olympics is because you have several teams with rosters like all star teams that are actually trying, not because there's less hitting.

NHL needs 20-something less games for sure. I do NOT want to be watching hockey in fucking June.

Start the season in October as usual, play 64 games, playoffs start in early March, Cup awarded in late April.
There's a joke about the Habs and hockey in June here.....

Seriously though, good luck getting teams/players to agree to 18 games less worth of revenue. There's a reason sports schedules have the amount of games they do.
$$$$$$$$$$$$

ShaneB

The reason the hockey is better during the Olympics is because you have several teams with rosters like all star teams that are actually trying, not because there's less hitting.

But you've just confirmed my exact point.

The NHLPA is 700 players or so. Let's be generous and say it's a 50/50 split of 1st and 2nd line players that are extremely talented, and that the 3rd and 4th line players are moreso the goon squad, more suited to be the grinders and fighters.

Would the NHL (or hockey in general since that's the point im getting across) not be a better product if the league was built with the mindset of building lineups full of talented players instead of "wasting" player slots with players whose role is just to protect the 1st and 2nd line guys? Which is what I meant by getting rid of Hitting, when you've got a player whose primary attribute might be "well.. he's physical and can hit! we need that in case our star gets hit or we need a fight!"

Solo

There's a joke about the Habs and hockey in June here.....

Seriously though, good luck getting teams/players to agree to 18 games less worth of revenue. There's a reason sports schedules have the amount of games they do.
$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'm not looking at it from a business point of view. Just from a fan's POV. The season is too long.

One of the many reasons I gave up baseball many years ago is that the season is fucking ridiculously long. 160 games? The fuck?

Heretic

The NHLPA is 700 players or so. Let's be generous and say it's a 50/50 split of 1st and 2nd line players that are extremely talented, and that the 3rd and 4th line players are moreso the goon squad, more suited to be the grinders and fighters.

Would the NHL (or hockey in general since that's the point im getting across) not be a better product if the league was built with the mindset of building lineups full of talented players instead of "wasting" player slots with players whose role is just to protect the 1st and 2nd line guys? Which is what I meant by getting rid of Hitting, when you've got a player whose primary attribute might be "well.. he's physical and can hit! we need that in case our star gets hit or we need a fight!"

I don't think there's enough 1st and 2nd liners to go around.

rellix

I'm not looking at it from a business point of view. Just from a fan's POV. The season is too long.

One of the many reasons I gave up baseball many years ago is that the season is fucking ridiculously long. 160 games? The fuck?

The NHL season will never be "too long" at 82 as long as those tards still go 162.

Marvie_3

Banned

Would the NHL not be a better product if the league was built with the mindset of building lineups full of talented players instead of "wasting" player slots with players whose role is just to protect the 1st and 2nd line guys?
There aren't 350 players that are extremely talented so unless you're going to go back to a 6 team league, it's just not going to work. Also, by getting rid of these 3rd and 4th liners, you get rid of a lot of solid defensive players and a lot of guys that bring a ton of energy to the game. These guys may not score 40 goals but there's just as exciting to watch as the top lines.

I get where you're coming from but I do enjoy having hockey on for almost 9 months. :D

162 game season in baseball makes sense. Half the game you're sitting in the dugout and the other half you're standing around in the field. It's not like there's anything going on that will make anyone tired. The pitchers are the only ones that get a decent workout in during the game.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
There aren't 350 players that are extremely talented so unless you're going to go back to a 6 team league, it's just not going to work. Also, by getting rid of these 3rd and 4th liners, you get rid of a lot of solid defensive players and a lot of guys that bring a ton of energy to the game. These guys may not score 40 goals but there's just as exciting to watch as the top lines.

Don't forget to add in that those 3rd line guys are usually a big reason for why a team wins the Stanley Cup or go on a long playoff drive.

ShaneB

I don't think there's enough 1st and 2nd liners to go around.

Is a 1st line playmaker from the CHL/AHL a better player than a 3rd line NHL grinder? To say the talent isn't there is just silly when you realize that there would be plenty of options to replace any sort of physical player if that's all he's on the roster for.

Not to mention the idea is more about fundamentally changing how Hockey is played if hitting becomes a very very very small part of the game. You don't need to think of it as comparing a 1st line center to a 4th line center if the talent pool is more level instead of thinking of it as 1st line scoring line, 4th line goons.

Cake Boss

Banned
That plus the playoffs won't be the same again if the bottom 6 grinders aren't there.

The league is already moving to a 3 scoring lines/ 1 checking line system, its no longer a top 6 and a bottom 6, all past cup winners have had a system of a scoring 3rd line and and a checking 4th, plus in today's 4th liners are more than one dimensional, they put up points as well and have other attributes other than fighting and hitting, ex: Konopka and faceoffs.

Marvie_3

Banned
Don't forget to add in that those 3rd line guys are usually a big reason for why a team wins the Stanley Cup or go on a long playoff drive.
Bingo. Chicago's 3rd line was incredible to watch during the 2010 Cup run.

Is a 1st line playmaker from the CHL/AHL a better player than a 3rd line NHL grinder? To say the talent isn't there is just silly when you realize that there would be plenty of options to replace any sort of physical player if that's all he's on the roster for.

Not to mention the idea is more about fundamentally changing how Hockey is played if hitting becomes a very very very small part of the game. You don't need to think of it as comparing a 1st line center to a 4th line center if the talent pool is more level instead of thinking of it as 1st line scoring line, 4th line goons.
So you're basically saying you want balls out offensive hockey all the time. Yawn.

Acid08

Banned

Yup. That's one of the reasons the Sharks haven't been able to make it, our 3rd and 4th lines are never good enough.

ShaneB

So you're basically saying you want balls out offensive hockey all the time. Yawn.

Oh I definitely did not say that. My original posted stated Olympic hockey, the gold medal game from 2010 is a perfect recent example of what I mean. Close physical hockey that isn't over the edge that just sinks to players delivering bad hits and in turn fighting.

When I played hockey I played defense primarly, so that part of the game is near and dear to me just as well. The All Star game is a complete bore, I don't want all offense. Exciting hockey can mean different things to different people.

I want fighting out of hockey. What causes fights? Well when player A delivers a hit to a star player, player B figures he should fight this guy to teach him a lesson. Well why the fuck is hitting in the game when players feel the need to fight after every big hit?

I want physical hockey, it's great. Basketball is often a joke to me because these guys can barely touch each other without getting fouls called.

I was more interested in the idea that playing hockey is more than just being good at delivering a big open ice body check, and how much that would change the game for the better if rosters were more focused on just being a good team, instead of a roster slot being taken up by someone whose only role is to protect someone else. There should be no need for such a role.

Football is a physical game, more physical than hockey let's be honest. The offensive lines job is to protect the Quarterback, but if the QB gets sacked, it's not like the O-line feels the need to fight that player. But if someone lays out NHL Star Player X, you better believe it's going to cause a few fights.

If that was the case, the Leafs should be SC champions every year with all of that 3rd and 4th line depth that makes up 90% of their roster. :p

Good 4th line guys are absolutely integra to a cup winning formula. You simply cannot go through the grind of a deep playoff run if you haven't got a 4th line that can play 10 minutes of solid hockey every night. Guys like Hordichuk, Carcillo and Biznasty are being replaced by guys who can play hockey. You can't afford to put on a 4th line that plays only 5 minutes a game and eat up offensive zone starts. I think the Canucks got the idea right when they decided that if you can't trust to deploy your 4th line in the defensive zone, then you haven't got a good 4th line.

You want your 4th line guys to eat up the shitty minutes, eat up PK time so that you're top six guys don't have to waste energy and icetime playing in defensive roles. The more defensively reliable your bottom six is, the more opportunities your top six will have to score.

Marvie_3

Banned
Oh I definitely did not say that. My original posted stated Olympic hockey, the gold medal game from 2010 is a perfect recent example of what I mean. Close physical hockey that isn't over the edge that just sinks to players delivering bad hits and in turn fighting.
This is the NHL's fault, not the 3rd and 4th liners, and there's only a few that do this anyway. If the league would hand out harsher penalties, you wouldn't see this shit as often. Guys like Torres wouldn't even be in the league because a team isn't going to waste time on someone who's going to be suspended for 20-30 games at a time. When you hand out bullshit 2 game suspensions, it does nothing to scare players into behaving.

I want fighting out of hockey. What causes fights? Well when player A delivers a hit to a star player, player B figures he should fight this guy to teach him a lesson. Well why the fuck is hitting in the game when players feel the need to fight after every big hit?
The only fighting I want gone is the staged bullshit. Fighting someone for putting a good clean check on someone is stupid but if someone takes a run at a teammate, I see no problem with going over and throwing some fists at him.

I was more interested in the idea that playing hockey is more than just being good at delivering a big open ice body check, and how much that would change the game for the better if rosters were more focused on just being a good team, instead of a roster slot being taken up by someone whose only role is to protect someone else. There should be no need for such a role.
Which is why the enforcers have been getting phased out of the game over the last decade.

Football is a physical game, more physical than hockey let's be honest. The offensive lines job is to protect the Quarterback, but if the QB gets sacked, it's not like the O-line feels the need to fight that player. But if someone lays out NHL Star Player X, you better believe it's going to cause a few fights.
I already agreed that fighting someone for a legal check is stupid but this comparison is pretty stupid too. The whole point of defense is to bring the ball carrier down and if the QB is getting sacked, it's the o-line's fault. You don't fight someone because you blew your responsibility.

Another thing, the rule against fighting sure as fuck doesn't keep dirty plays and cheap shots from happening in football. You can bet you'd see a lot more fights in football if a player only had to go stand on the sideline for a few minutes instead of being ejected.

Acid08

Banned
I talked to a girl I work with about hockey today, she commented on my old school Sharks sweatshirt. She seemed to think both sides are wasting time but definitely put more blame on the NHL.

The lockout will be over when the greedy owners finally agree to pay the players a living wage.

So what's a "living wage" ? When they can afford to have 3 or 4 Ferrari's in their garage ?

We can't have skilled racist superstars like Krys Barch to even have to consider working for a living after their careers and immense contributions to the sport are done now can we ?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So what's a "living wage" ? When they can afford to have 3 or 4 Ferrari's in their garage ?

We can't have skilled racist superstars like Krys Barch to even have to consider working for a living after their careers and immense contributions to the sport are done now can we ?

You call only having 2 Ferraris living? Pfff.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So apparently Murray isn't just injured, but he actually has to undergo surgery and will be out for the season.

Columbus.

Top Bottom