• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Heretic

I don't know what I'm taking about... I could have been dreaming.

I swear I read the it was going to be renamed to South Warren or North Windsor or something along those lines.

Socreges

Banned

I swear I read the it was going to be renamed to South Warren or North Windsor or something along those lines.
ibnjijIUq7N0p6.gif

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Eww that makes me believe that a part of former Detroit would become a part of Canada. Nobody wants that.

So the city of Detroit may be no more :(

I wonder if the red wings will be forced to change their names...

Heretic, you are high...

I think what you mean is Detroit's city limits will shrink to account for the loss of population.

This is the correct response, but this news happened back in 2010-2011 I believe. The city is a mess, but still exists.

hrtc pls

Some of our cities' news cycles cover things other than drive-bys, foreclosure auctions and the Red Wings.

There are other things out there?

Heretic

As long as both sides insist on "my way or the highway" no mediator in the world can resolve this.

Mediator can put pressure on either side through media relations. I hope they're able to be vocal about the discussions and tell the true story about who's doing what.

I was close about the whole Detroit thing though! Stupid sensationalist headlines...

Matthew Sekeres ‏@mattsekeres

Am told by 2 NHL sources that #Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs forced employees to pay tax on 2011 Stanley Cup rings. About $7K per ring.
Some support staff couldn't afford the tax up front, so players stepped up and covered the cost so they could get rings too.

LOL if true.

Modern day Scrooge.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So you're saying Tim Thomas... covered other people's costs for something they couldn't afford? Communist.

Socreges

Banned
Wow.

When do other owners band together and say: "Hey, fuck these cheap ass hardliners." ?

I'm looking at you Dolan. Pegula's got enough dough and enough desire for hockey too...
And this is exactly why the information was leaked now whereas no one had bothered for months. So people could make some awkward connection with the lockout.

sammich

Sigh.. more stupididty from the PRO NHLPA crowd:

From Hfboards Bruind thread:

"You do realize that the Feds and the State of MA have gift tax laws that set a max amount a gift can be and anything over that is taxed at a higher rate than the normal 5.25%.

Jacobs didn't force them to pay it, the State and Feds did.

Don't be so quick to villify a man who was following the law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gift_ta..._United_States

500 rings * 7,000 per in taxes equates to 3.5 million"

If he had paid each of them (so they could pay their own taxes), each employee would have to use after tax dollars so it would cost him more like $10,000 per employee for them to get $7000 in post-tax income. So more like $5 mill from his side, and thats on top of buying the rings for everyone in the first place.

Post from Gatormike from HFboards:

"I live in Massachusetts.

I won an iPad at work. HR made me sign a form indicating that the value of the iPad was $525.

Following week, $232.63 was missing from my pay check. Yup, that's an effective tax rate on "gifts" in Massachusetts of 44.5%."

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Matthew Sekeres ‏@mattsekeres

LOL if true.

Modern day Scrooge.
What a piece of shit. It's like when Gautheir told Cammalleri, Gill and Spacek if they wanted their jerseys they had to pay for them. Disgusting pieces of shit.

Edit : Just saw the above post, Gauthier is still a piece of shit ghost, enjoy him Marvie :D

Heretic

And this is exactly why the information was leaked now whereas no one had bothered for months. So people could make some awkward connection with the lockout.
I don't think anyone is tying the two together.

Never mind. I did just now. Dude is cheap that's why he's spearheading the lockout!

CCF23

Sigh.. more stupididty from the PRO NHLPA crowd:

From Hfboards Bruind thread:

"You do realize that the Feds and the State of MA have gift tax laws that set a max amount a gift can be and anything over that is taxed at a higher rate than the normal 5.25%.

Jacobs didn't force them to pay it, the State and Feds did.

Don't be so quick to villify a man who was following the law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gift_ta..._United_States

500 rings * 7,000 per in taxes equates to 3.5 million"

If he had paid each of them (so they could pay their own taxes), each employee would have to use after tax dollars so it would cost him more like $10,000 per employee for them to get $7000 in post-tax income. So more like $5 mill from his side, and thats on top of buying the rings for everyone in the first place.

Post from Gatormike from HFboards:

"I live in Massachusetts.

I won an iPad at work. HR made me sign a form indicating that the value of the iPad was $525.

Following week, $232.63 was missing from my pay check. Yup, that's an effective tax rate on "gifts" in Massachusetts of 44.5%."

He's worth $2.7 billion

$5 million is 0.19% of his worth. To put that into perspective, to Joe Schmo worth $500,000 that's $950.

Essentially, to Jacobs, in terms of percentage of his wealth it's the cost of a nice TV.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
He's worth $2.7 billion

$5 million is 0.19% of his worth. To put that into perspective, to Joe Schmo worth $500,000 that's $950.

Essentially, to Jacobs, in terms of percentage of his wealth it's the cost of a nice TV.

But that means what, exactly? He can't cover other people's taxes. He can't lie about the value of the rings

Smiley90

But that means what, exactly? He can't cover other people's taxes. He can't lie about the value of the rings

Christmas Bonus? Or, you know, "thank you for keeping everything running smoothly so we could win the Cup" Bonus?

DopeyFish

Christmas Bonus? Or, you know, "thank you for keeping everything running smoothly so we could win the Cup" Bonus?

They probably did get their money for that- don't forget they are likely under contracts

But just like players there's probably rules involved around gifts outside agreed pay due to competitive environment

Players aren't allowed any "gifts" outside of their salary, or else they will be breaching strict rules

DopeyFish

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Sounds as if there's no traction or progress coming out of the mediation session. Official statements to follow, no doubt.

Smiley90

I really wanna see arbitration happen, because I honestly wonder what the outcome would be. I think players would get screwed over financially even more than the league is offering right now.

Too bad arbitration will never happen.

Kifimbo

#CBA According to multiple sources Bettman proposed to D. Fehr a meeting between owners and players only, w/ no league or PA staff present.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Bettman proposed to Fehr and PA an owner-payer mtng only. No NHL or NHLPA brass. Fehr and PA are believed to be considering.

Yes please !

Cake Boss

Banned
Thats the best news I heard all month.

If I were Fehr I wouldn't accept the idea. Based on the stupid comments and reactions by the players in this whole thing, I wouldn't let a bunch of high school graduates discuss the CBA and be in a room alone with a bunch of millionaire/billionaire business owners, not to mention the players are more emotionally invested in this since its their lively hood and their income at stake, so there is a potential of players accepting an idea by the owners based on emotion and quickly getting to playing.

Socreges

Banned
Obviously you guys don't appreciate just how strongly guys like Toews and Crosby carry Fehr's ambitions and message. Fehr's absence won't make much difference. Might make the players more defensive, if anything. Also gives the PA an opportunity to take some blame away from Fehr if he's not present and negotiations still fail.

Top Bottom