• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

CCF23

Daly didn't offer much, which is good. Said there are "some critical issues that remain open between both sides".

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet

Leagued proposed increasing "make whole" provision to 300 Million Dollars.

League won't budge on 5 years/5%
Exception to re-sign own free agents for 7 years
10 year CBA
Keep UFA and Arbitration the same

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

10 year CBA

Best part.

CCF23

10 year CBA

This...Doesn't seem all that unreasonable.

Michael Grange ‏@michaelgrange

Some tension in room at times; Jacobs nearly walks out; Miller snaps. Moderates rule day #NHL /3

CCF23

Honestly, they're now so ridiculously close.

Make whole is even closer than it was.

NHL budged on some contracting rights (UFA and arbitration are big gives).

Ball is in the PA's court. The single key issue seems like it'll be the cap on contract length. If the PA wants to flush a season down the toilet because of that, they can go fuck themselves.

Don't think they will, though. I think they'll hammer it out.

CCF23

Ryan Miller seems like a supreme douche.

Last time the PA publicly stated their figure for Make Whole they wanted $393 million. NHL is ponying up $300 million. That's not a very sizable gap at all.

Sounds like linkage and getting to 50-50 are the big points.

Didn't the players already acknowledge they're willing to accept linkage?

Line of the night goes to @ian_mendes on Miller snapping back at Jacobs: "at least we know he can stand up to a Bruin"

LOL

Sanjuro

Rule of thumb:

Everyone involved in the process is an asshole except golden boy Crosby and his merry march of Penguins.

Jacobs was already a scumbag going in though. The notion I was supposed to like the guy because we won a cup sickened me.

Fei

Miller is probably one of the few players with a triple-digit IQ.

Anyway, just get this done. It finally dawned on me this week how much I miss hockey. Douches on both sides, but whatever. Just play and I'll watch happily.

CCF23

I'm not sure why the NHL feels it needs the 5% variance rule on top of the year cap on contracts. On top of the rules put in place to help eliminate back-diving contracts before the lockout, one of the proposed changes (year cap or 5%) should essentially kill those back-diving deals.

You might get a few 7 year deals from teams re-signing their own players that flirt with being "back diving", but nothing close to the contracts that caused this to be such an issue in the first place.

Eliminate the 5% variance, keep the year limit (5 years, 7 for your own guys).

Fei

I'm not sure why the NHL feels it needs the 5% variance rule on top of the year cap on contracts. On top of the rules put in place to help eliminate back-diving contracts before the lockout, one of the proposed changes (year cap or 5%) should essentially kill those back-diving deals.

You might get a few 7 year deals from teams re-signing their own players that flirt with being "back diving", but nothing close to the contracts that caused this to be such an issue in the first place.

Because the rules put in place to help the front-loaded deals are a joke, and completely ineffective. The fact that contracts like Kovy's, Ehrhoff's, etc. are considered acceptable is all the evidence anyone should need to see how useless they are. If they just instituted a 5-7 year rule, we'd still see nonsensical contracts being handed out to 30-32 year olds.

CCF23

Because the rules put in place to help the front-loaded deals are a joke, and completely ineffective. The fact that contracts like Kovy's, Ehrhoff's, etc. are considered acceptable is all the evidence anyone should need to see how useless they are. If they just instituted a 5-7 year rule, we'd still see nonsensical contracts being handed out to 30-32 year olds.

Not really, because those guys would have to retire at 35-37 for the "back diving" deals to be effective. The whole reason the back diving deals have been used is because when the guys that signed them retire long before they're over (in the small money years) they're off the books cap wise. This will be much harder to do with 30-32 year olds because you're banking on the guy retiring before the contract is up. If you back-dive a deal with a 32 year old on a 7 year deal, you could be stuck with an ineffective 38-39 year old eating up $5+ mil in cap space.

You might get the odd deal here or there that is borderline, but you'd get nothing like Kovy, Ehrhoff, Luongo, Pronger, Hossa, etc. There just wouldn't be enough years to really make it feasible.

I'd be happy if they split that issue. PA accepts contract term limits (5 years/7 years as proposed) and the NHL takes off the variance rule. The PA then accepts a 10 year CBA. The $300 million "make whole" is accepted, the UFA and arbitration stays the same. Linked, 50/50 deal from year 1. Increased revenue sharing system.

That seems like the most reasonable compromise to me, with where we stand right now on the major issues.

Fei

Not really, because those guys would have to retire at 35-37 for the "back diving" deals to be effective. The whole reason the back diving deals have been used is because when the guys that signed them retire long before they're over (in the small money years) they're off the books cap wise. This will be much harder to do with 30-32 year olds because you're banking on the guy retiring before the contract is up. If you back-dive a deal with a 32 year old on a 7 year deal, you could be stuck with an ineffective 38-39 year old eating up $5+ mil in cap space.

You might get the odd deal here or there that is borderline, but you'd get nothing like Kovy, Ehrhoff, Luongo, Pronger, Hossa, etc. There just wouldn't be enough years to really make it feasible.

If you kept the rules, you're opening yourself up to contracts like 7 year, $37M contracts structured 7,7,7,7,7,1,1 again. And not everyone can be Teemu. I wonder how many 38 year old forwards are in the league (for defensemen, you may have a point).

I would agree that 5% is pretty limited and that could be expanded, but there should be some protection from the wild swings. The current CBA has shown any loopholes will be exploited to their limits.

CCF23

If you kept the rules, you're opening yourself up to contracts like 7 year, $37M contracts structured 7,7,7,7,7,1,1 again. And not everyone can be Teemu. I wonder how many 38 year old forwards are in the league (for defensemen, you may have a point).

I would agree that 5% is pretty limited and that could be expanded, but there should be some protection from the wild swings. The current CBA has shown any loopholes will be exploited to their limits.

That's a massive gamble for $1.7 million in cap savings, though. If the player doesn't retire you're stuck with a $5.3 million player for two years at the end of the deal. It's also a deal you wouldn't see handed out very often at all.

It would essentially become a non-issue it would happen so frequently because it becomes such a gamble.

Marvie_3

Banned

I think you can still have a variance, just not 5%. That's ridiculous.

Fei

Eh, agree to disagree here I guess. I don't think it's that big of a risk because teams near the cap floor will scoop these players up for nothing (like Brian Rolston and the Islanders this year). The 30-32 range is where the concern would begin, but it could be progressively worse as the players age goes up from there. Guys in Doan's situation this offseason could exploit it to a much higher degree.

Anyway, if this is one of the "major" issues left, they're close. I'm going back to being pessimistic because it's easier.

Yeah, that's fair enough. Something like 20% would do it.

Agreed.

CCF23

Dreger tweeted that although the players may not love the NHL's last proposal, it may be enough to encourage a full membership vote on it.

Stasis

Line of the night goes to @ian_mendes on Miller snapping back at Jacobs: "at least we know he can stand up to a Bruin"

LOL

That's hilarious and sad at the same time if you know anything about Miller and the Sabres.

I love Miller. He gets pissy at times and he's very vocal when something bothers him, but that's part of what's awesome. He's not a afraid to say what he thinks. Was fucking great when he flat out said he hated the Leafs during a live TV interview.

Pikma

Banned
I haven't checked this thread since my laptop died on me, that's 3 weeks now, just for fun, what have I been missing? Has Fehr already told Bettman that he's his father mother?

Let's say players accept the NHL's contracting restrictions. Wouldn't it be hilarious if a UFA signed a 1 year deal with a club and then signed a 7 year extension? I haven't seen anything regarding what makes a player that team's "own". CHEAT CHEAT CHEAT!

6 hours old but:

@aaronward_NHL said:
NHLPA internal meeting to take place mid Thursday morning and will include players not in attendance via telephone. #TSN

Vote or Fehr fucking everything up?

Edit:

@JSportsnet said:
Can confirm NHLPA is insisting that Don Fehr return to negotiations...and if that's the case the commissioner will be on the other side.

Welp. That answers that.

@cotsonika said:
Sounds like the NHL's $300M "make-whole" offer is contingent on 10 yr deal. NHLPA hasn't wanted to go that long.

I don't know if this is referring to the PAs previous 5 yr offer or if there's genuine discontent over a 10 yr deal, but lol regardless. If they'd signed a 10 yr deal last time they'd be much better off right now.

Top Bottom