• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

The season was canceled on February 16, 2005. I'm assuming it'll be whenever the league hits its official halfway point (all teams going past the 41st game in their schedule).

Thanks. Hopefully it wont go that far.

I still say it won't go past the Winter Classic. They can't be THAT stupid to kill all of the game/event/local revenue.

I keep hearing people say that the owners cant afford to lose the winter classic, but couldnt they reschedule it for a later season? Also the league would make more money off the gam if it was in a season after they get a new cba.

Quick

Banned
I still say it won't go past the Winter Classic. They can't be THAT stupid to kill all of the game/event/local revenue.

They still have the outdoor games at Comerica Park for the alumni game and the outdoor OHL game to do. Obviously won't be as huge as the actual WInter Classic, but it's still salvageable with those events.

But trust me, I'd hate to miss the Winter Classic and HBO 24/7 leading up to it.

I keep hearing people say that the owners cant afford to lose the winter classic, but couldnt they reschedule it for a later season? Also the league would make more money off the gam if it was in a season after they get a new cba.

The NHL isn't getting the amount they paid the University of Michigan back for renting out the stadium, then you have the refunds, then the sponsorship money (Bridgestone being the big backer). It's potentially going to be just a shitstorm for the NHL.

They could probably reschedule it a bit if they have to but they'd have to agree on a CBA earlier if they want HBO to have time to film 24/7.

The NHL isn't getting the amount they paid the University of Michigan back for renting out the stadium, then you have the refunds, then the sponsorship money (Bridgestone being the big backer). It's potentially going to be just a shitstorm for the NHL.

I think Fehr will drag this out until then hoping to use this to get what he wants.

Quick

Banned
The one year I get a crazy break and get to go to the Winter Classic, there's a lockout :(

ibpPF6HvU7U8uX.png

Kifimbo

Derek Boogaard -- Dead NHL Star's Parents File $9.8 Million Lawsuit

The parents of former NHL player Derek Boogaard -- who died last year -- have filed a $9.8 million lawsuit against the NHL Player's Association, claiming the org. FAILED to take the proper steps to help them collect the balance on Derek's NHL contract after he passed away.

28-year-old Derek died on May 13, 2011 from a fatal mixture of drugs and alcohol.

In the lawsuit, Derek's parents claim he was addicted to prescription pills at the time of his death ... partly because he had been prescribed "a multitude of narcotics and sleeping pills by both the team doctors, physicians, trainers, and dentists of the New York Rangers and the Minnesota Wild."

Because Derek's parents believe the NHL teams are partly responsible for their son's death, they turned to the NHL PA which promised to help them file a grievance to get the Rangers to pay out the rest of Derek's multi-million dollar 4-year contract with the team.

But, according to the lawsuit, the NHL PA failed to file the grievance by the required deadline, so the Boogaards were unable to collect ... and now the Boogaards are PISSED.

Derek's parents are demanding the NHL PA make things right by shelling out the $4.8 million PLUS $5 million in punitive damages.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2012/09/21/derek-boogaard-parents-lawsuit-nhl-pa-new-york-rangers/#ixzz279sOuGTQ

Source: http://www.tmz.com/2012/09/21/derek-boogaard-parents-lawsuit-nhl-pa-new-york-rangers/

Red Wings Senior VP cuts loose:

http://islandsportsnews.net/compone...ith-jim-devellano-detroit-red-wings-senior-vp

"Each owner / team has a decision as to how they want to pay their players, as long as they are under the cap. Now Donald Fehr would have you believe by getting rid of the cap, the owners would make more money and that the sky is the limit, but trust me Scott, the owners would lose their *****. We've tried that. It doesn't work. There is just too much cost involved in running and owning a team."
"It's very complicated and way too much for the average Joe to understand, but having said that, I will tell you this: The owners can basically be viewed as the Ranch, and the players, and me included, are the cattle. The owners own the Ranch and allow the players to eat there. That's the way its always been and that the way it will be forever. And the owners simply aren't going to let a union push them around. It's not going to happen."

Wow

http://m.thestar.com/sports/leafs/a...fs-wings-winter-classic-could-die-in-november

Apparently Bettman plans to cancel the WC in November :(
A league source told the Star that, barring a settlement, commissioner Gary Bettman plans to cancel it in November — to take away any advantage the players may have at the bargaining table because of the game’s popularity.
“Gary told (the board of governors) he was going to cancel the Winter Classic in November because he didn’t want the players to use the game as leverage,” the source said.
A source close to the players said the NHLPA had heard the same thing.

NHLPA run league, all players make 5 million or more even if they are a 4th line agitator!!!

Edit: Yeah we aren't getting a season this year.

RC

Banned
Fuck it, since they'll be no hockey, I've booked a three week trip to Europe. Hopefully Amsterdam's red light district and Berlin's plentiful beer will make me forget about the lockout.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Fuck it, since they'll be no hockey, I've booked a three week trip to Europe. Hopefully Amsterdam's red light district and Berlin's plentiful beer will make me forget about the lockout.

Be careful bro, the Red Light District has everything.

EVERYTHING!

Quick

Banned

I'm planning a trip to Europe for either late next year or in early 2014.

Stay safe, Desi. You will be my guinea pig for what NOT to do in Europe.

Top Bottom