• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
PA Parenteau (twitter)

If their is no hockey right now it has nothing to do with Don Fehr... Bettman had a date in mind a year ago.

Ps Meeting starts around 5pm

Awaiting word when Parenteau will go back to finish elementary school

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
PA Parenteau (twitter)

If their is no hockey right now it has nothing to do with Don Fehr... Bettman had a date in mind a year ago.

Yeah, I'm sure hiring the only guy involved with the last work stoppages in any major sport had nothing to do with the fact that we still have a work stoppage in a major sport.

Heretic

PA Parenteau (twitter)

This is what the players are getting fed.

Link to his twitter? I want to see the response that he's getting.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is what the players are getting fed.

Link to his twitter? I want to see the response that he's getting.

https://twitter.com/PAParenteau

Here's my favorite response:

"Saying such things in the most critical stage is remarkable. How stupid are most NHL players. You should be working at MCD."

The same guy also has "You are so brainwashed by Fehr, it's remarkable."

I find those replies remarkable.

Yeah, I'm sure hiring the only guy involved with the last work stoppages in any major sport had nothing to do with the fact that we still have a work stoppage in a major sport.

This is the response that should be made. Take care of that, Plinko. For NHL-GAF.

The only question left now is whether we'll get to Lockout OT2 before we have an NHL season.

Plinko

This is the response that should be made. Take care of that, Plinko. For NHL-GAF.

The only question left now is whether we'll get to Lockout OT2 before we have an NHL season.

I would but I'm not on Twitter.

So there was no NBA lockout last year? Or NHL lockout last time? I'm sure Fehr was secretly working behind the scenes there too...

DopeyFish

adater says owners are furious at don fehr

Fehr is a piece of shit

adater ‏@adater
Owners furious about Fehr's stalling, mediation ploy. He's a "suicide bomber" one from mgmt aisle put it

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If there is a season this year, Bettman will have to wear a suit of armor when he hands out the cup.

I fail to see how wanting a neutral third party in the room as things get finalized is somehow a ridiculous demand...

Dopey and I can disagree all we want about whether or not the players should be forced to pay for a piece of shit team that will never be profitable (and it's a legitimate disagreement), and there's really no way the other side will see the other as reasonable, but a mediator? I just don't see what's so objectionable.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
No NHL owners in today's negotiating session with NHLPA. Some have gone home, some still around but "owner-player" train left station.

"No NHL owners", "some still around", WHAT ARE YOU SAYING BOB

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
David Pagnotta said:
Spoke to a few folks over on the NHLPA side... The simplest way to put it is "things don't look good."
Fans were already pissed with this process, if this blows up after these last 2 days then it's really going down the shitter.

Kifimbo

Players have to realize:

1. They lost the PR war.
2. The deal proposed is a lot better than losing a complete season salary. Which is what will happen if this doesn't work. Fuck your principles, be a realist. You are never getting a better deal, not next month, not next summer.

Just try to get one or two more year of contract lenght (6-7 instead of 5) and a CBA of 9 years instead of 10 (with an opt out at year 7). And a few more millions in make-whole money.

Just try to get one or two more year of contract lenght (6-7 instead of 5) and a CBA of 9 years instead of 10 (with an opt out at year 7). And a few more millions in make-whole money.

I think the point is they CAN'T get that at this point. My guess is they're more pissed about the variance lock than the term length. 7 years with no variance lock probably wouldn't be much of an issue.

I fail to see how wanting a neutral third party in the room as things get finalized is somehow a ridiculous demand...

Dopey and I can disagree all we want about whether or not the players should be forced to pay for a piece of shit team that will never be profitable (and it's a legitimate disagreement), and there's really no way the other side will see the other as reasonable, but a mediator? I just don't see what's so objectionable.

It's a stall tactic?

Marvie_3

Banned
Players have to realize:

1. They lost the PR war.
2. The deal proposed is a lot better than losing a complete season salary. Which is what will happen if this doesn't work. Fuck your principles, be a realist. You are never getting a better deal, not next month, not next summer.

This was over the minute they hired Fehr.

Kifimbo

This was over the minute they hired Fehr.

Not really, at first it was the most hated man in hockey against some villain from baseball. Unless you're following baseball since 15+ years or you're a Montreal Expos fan, then Fehr was the devil from the start.

Stall for what? It doesn't DO anything. What would he be stalling for? There's no magical date where things get better.

That hasn't stopped the PA from stalling with its bullshit for months.

What good does waiting for moderated meetings do now when it didn't help before? We're in the endgame here.

DopeyFish

Listen, I'm a fan of a team that's quite a bit more valuable thanks yours will likely ever be.

But when the finances are completely skewed in the direction of overpaying players... And the NHLPA wants a fucking raise? Sorry. But Econ 101 is to get finances in order. If NHL were paying their players what MLB is... The league would be profitable. If structured like MLB, it would be just as fucking boring.

There's no need for a mediator. They are there. Fehr is trying to stall to make it look like he's doing "everything" he can while he chokes any positivity out of negotiation. It's an attempt to get in the middle but he's just going to fuck over core economics like EVERY SINGLE PROPOSAL HE HAS EVER DONE

What this process needs is psychiatrists, not mediators. Anyone who supports fehr or the NHLPA, especially for very non relevant things like "the coyotes don't make money!" Needs to get their heads checked.

Last I checked, there aren't 18 teams named the Phoenix coyotes and last I checked... Their revenue pit is helping the rest of the league.

So 18 teams even after the gift of a lower salary floor due to teams not reaching revenue mins means what? That they should move? Or maybe there is a more sensible Econ structure which doesn't revolve around players having their balls lathered with wet $100 bills?

I hate the coyotes and other poor earning teams than you ever will. But I still maintain common sense when dealing with core issues. There are causes to these things that I am fully aware of that you constantly feign ignorance to.

That's not an acceptable disagreement.

Montresor

I walked past Mark Owuya today. I WALKED PAST HIM. I didn't see him, but I got a streetpass tag for a black Mii from Sweden called Mark Owuya... and he was wearing an orange giraffe hat.

PICS COMING.

Marvie_3

Banned
Listen, I'm a fan of a team that's quite a bit more valuable thanks yours will likely ever be.

But when the finances are completely skewed in the direction of overpaying players... And the NHLPA wants a fucking raise? Sorry. But Econ 101 is to get finances in order. If NHL were paying their players what MLB is... The league would be profitable. If structured like MLB, it would be just as fucking boring.

There's no need for a mediator. They are there. Fehr is trying to stall to make it look like he's doing "everything" he can while he chokes any positivity out of negotiation. It's an attempt to get in the middle but he's just going to fuck over core economics like EVERY SINGLE PROPOSAL HE HAS EVER DONE

What this process needs is psychiatrists, not mediators. Anyone who supports fehr or the NHLPA, especially for very non relevant things like "the coyotes don't make money!" Needs to get their heads checked.

Last I checked, there aren't 18 teams named the Phoenix coyotes and last I checked... Their revenue pit is helping the rest of the league.

So 18 teams even after the gift of a lower salary floor due to teams not reaching revenue mins means what? That they should move? Or maybe there is a more sensible Econ structure which doesn't revolve around players having their balls lathered with wet $100 bills?

I hate the coyotes and other poor earning teams than you ever will. But I still maintain common sense when dealing with core issues. There are causes to these things that I am fully aware of that you constantly feign ignorance to.

That's not an acceptable disagreement.

ibxUavqd8yMSWK.gif

CCF23

As someone who has defended the players in the past, if talks break off now for good and they go the decertification route they're firmly to blame. The writing is so incredibly clearly on the wall here. This is the best deal they're going to get. If they wait and lose a season they are rightfully going to get fucked.

Top Bottom