• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Listen, I'm a fan of a team that's quite a bit more valuable thanks yours will likely ever be.

But when the finances are completely skewed in the direction of overpaying players... And the NHLPA wants a fucking raise? Sorry. But Econ 101 is to get finances in order. If NHL were paying their players what MLB is... The league would be profitable. If structured like MLB, it would be just as fucking boring.

There's no need for a mediator. They are there. Fehr is trying to stall to make it look like he's doing "everything" he can while he chokes any positivity out of negotiation. It's an attempt to get in the middle but he's just going to fuck over core economics like EVERY SINGLE PROPOSAL HE HAS EVER DONE

What this process needs is psychiatrists, not mediators. Anyone who supports fehr or the NHLPA, especially for very non relevant things like "the coyotes don't make money!" Needs to get their heads checked.

Last I checked, there aren't 18 teams named the Phoenix coyotes and last I checked... Their revenue pit is helping the rest of the league.

So 18 teams even after the gift of a lower salary floor due to teams not reaching revenue mins means what? That they should move? Or maybe there is a more sensible Econ structure which doesn't revolve around players having their balls lathered with wet $100 bills?

I hate the coyotes and other poor earning teams than you ever will. But I still maintain common sense when dealing with core issues. There are causes to these things that I am fully aware of that you constantly feign ignorance to.

That's not an acceptable disagreement.

This is just ridiculous. I've explained numerous times how if you structure revenue sharing as a percentage of profits of the most profitable teams redistributed to the least profitable (minus the teams that clearly are incapable of being profitable) you can EASILY cover the teams which are not consistently profitable, but have the ability to be in the black if managed well.

The bolded is not an economic argument. It's another example of how you argue economics to further goals with have nothing to do with actual economics, but rather the broken monopolistic structure of how the league already works. An ACTUAL economically rational approach would be every team can pay what they want, but that's just what we had before when Toronto spent a billion dollars a year. The solution is an ACTUAL middle ground where you don't artificially depress wages to the point where an impossibly non-competitive business (aka PHX) is profitable.

Hopefully Bettman can announce the cancellation of the season so we can move on to the only hockey competition that means anything: THE WJC.

Marvie_3

Banned
PA is responding to the NHLs proposal

NHLPA's response:

iHZEtCodDSgAc.gif

At this point I'm hoping for A full season lockout, players end up taking it on the chin next summer, and then we all laugh when they realize they are little more than dancing monkeys on skates here to amuse us.
They're too stupid to realize this, but I agree.

At this point I'm hoping for A full season lockout, players end up taking it on the chin next summer, and then we all laugh when they realize they are little more than dancing monkeys on skates here to amuse us.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Yup.

How IS Forza? I love the franchise, but not sure what's up with the path they've taken with Horizon.

CCF23

The NHL staff have left the hotel to return to the NHL offices.. so this is probably over.

I'm guessing the PA countered again and Daly is taking it back for review with Bettman and the owners that remain in NY.

Apparently the PA is going to address the media in 15 minutes or so. Probably not good. Seriously, fuck them if this all falls through now. I've blamed both sides this entire time but if we lose a season at this point I hope the PA gets absolutely destroyed.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If it fails, this is it. There will be no season.

My guess is that the league would wait until the 10th and then go ahead with plans to cancel.

Cox: Players can't blame Bettman at this point. He hasn't been in a single meeting all week.

This is true. And while Bill Daly has been around, he looks like Homer Simpson, and who can stay angry at Homer Simpson?

FRANK GRIMES

Marvie_3

Banned
Yup.

How IS Forza? I love the franchise, but not sure what's up with the path they've taken with Horizon.
It's the best Forza game.

I'm guessing the PA countered again and Daly is taking it back for review with Bettman and the owners that remain in NY.

Apparently the PA is going to address the media in 15 minutes or so. Probably not good. Seriously, fuck them if this all falls through now. I've blamed both sides this entire time but if we lose a season at this point I hope the PA gets absolutely destroyed.
i32TIKgHKEtDk.gif

CCF23

Bunch of babies. "We want to talk with the owners, without Bettman" and then a week later "Waaaaah, Bettman isn't at the meeting". Looking for excuses every time.

For sure. Fuck who's in the room, just say what you have to say. If you have something to give, fucking give it and move this process along.

CCF23

The PA did indeed counter. Said they tried to address the NHL's concerns. Said the time is now to make a deal, so fucking make it.

Top Bottom