• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

CREMSteve

I'm going to rant for a minute here, please forgive me.

I don't understand why the NHL owners would even come back to the negotiating table at this point.

This was embarrassing.

There are dozens of debatable issues on the table, but the NHL gave three points that they made sure everyone understood they aren't willing to move on. They'll give and give and give, but on those three key points, they are NON-NEGOTIABLE.

The PA in return, of course tried to negotiate on those three points.

If I was an owner, I would be infuriated.

This is their business. They have every right to run their business the way they want to.

The NHLPA are employees, not the brand. The customers are loyal to the jersey, not the bodies wearing them. The league turns these individuals into stars and pays them millions. When a player is traded, he becomes an enemy we no longer cheer, and we pick right up where we left off, cheering on our teams on any given night.

When this all starts up again, we won't cheer every Saturday night because we're happy to have these players back on the ice, we'll cheer because our franchises that we love and are invested in, are back and ready for us to celebrate.

The players think they ARE the game. This delusional perspective is punishing all of us, forcing us to be without something we all love so deeply.

I'm at the point where I actually believe that the NHL needs to cancel not only the season, but shutdown the league as a whole. Start from scratch. Pay these players the average working salary of 50K a year, lower the prices of an average ticket so a man with a wife and three kids can take his family to a hockey game without having to take out a second mortgage on his house. Stop sharing revenue and profits with it's employees, pay them a wage and be done with it.

They aren't entitled to anything, and if they cannot realize this, then the NHL needs to rise from the ashes as something else, and the entitled millionaire whiner players of today, can become fast food workers, architects, bartenders or whatever else they have the skills to pull off, or they can continue playing the game they apparently love so dearly, at a fraction of what they could have, if they hadn't thrown it all away while being blinded by their blatant GREED.

Well, they won't ever see another penny out of me. I'll cheer for my team on the radio, or on TV, or online, but I'm done going to games and buying jerseys, keychains and videogames when I know that 50% of my hard-earned purchase is going into the pockets of this group of players.

Give me 20 years when these clowns have all retired, maybe I'll feel comfortable coming back.

Signed,

A lifelong hockey fan.

:(

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
It is, if there is a minority of cancer cells that do the damage while the rest are benign. But I'm no doctor.

Yeah you're right.

There are (under study) "cancer stem cells", so presumably not ALL cells in a malign tumor are actually contributing to the cancer.

The other cells aren't "benign" though - Benign is a term reserved for benign tumors, which are by definition not cancerous, because Cancer is defined by being malign versions of tumors.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Both sides are still negotiating.

The owners pulled their offer "off the table", but they haven't cancelled the season yet. Hence, there's a chance - albeit seemingly slim - that they will give the players a better offer still. If that happens, then it could be argued that the players/Fehr did the right thing this week by not accepting the owners' latest "final" offer.

Until the season is cancelled, everything can and should be considered part of this immature game that both sides consider negotiation.

FOOTE

Both sides are still negotiating.

The owners pulled their offer "off the table", but they haven't cancelled the season yet. Hence, there's a chance - albeit seemingly slim - that they will give the players a better offer still. If that happens, then it could be argued that the players/Fehr did the right thing this week by not accepting the owners' latest "final" offer.

Until the season is cancelled, everything can and should be considered part of this immature game that both sides consider negotiation.

ibdBg0epbvJH8t.gif

I gave up hope for a season about a month ago.

Stasis

If LeBrun thinks there's going to be a season, then I'm optimistic.

Lebrun is like the champion of optimism. I'm not sure I believe it anymore, even from him.

I'm going with McGuire. Creep factor aside the dude knows his shit and is more balanced.

Curufinwe

I'm going to rant for a minute here, please forgive me.

I don't understand why the NHL owners would even come back to the negotiating table at this point.

This was embarrassing.

There are dozens of debatable issues on the table, but the NHL gave three points that they made sure everyone understood they aren't willing to move on. They'll give and give and give

The NHL owners already got their revenue share increased by 7%, and the rest of the negotiations are just about how any more concessions they can extract from the players. They aren't giving shit.

CREMSteve

The NHL owners already got their revenue share increased by 7%, and the rest of the negotiations are just about how any more concessions they can extract from the players. They aren't giving shit.

They run a business, they have every right to determine what share of revenue they are willing to share with their employees. The fact that they are giving them any percentage at all, and the employee gets to say that it isn't enough, blows my mind.

Curufinwe

It's not mind-blowing in the slightest that when a monopsony goes up against a monopoly the outcome is determined by bargaining. The owners have much more leverage so they are getting most of what they want, but they know without the players they have no sport and no business and so that's why they didn't offer a ridiculous figure like 20%.

Most of this article on the NBA lockout also applies to the current NHL lockout.

http://www.freakonomics.com/2011/11...-the-economic-battlefield-of-the-nba-lockout/

Quick

Banned
Nay sir, we do not utter the name lest misfortune becomes us. Lady M, or "M" will do.

NHL-GAF presents

With collaboration with the Shakespeare Company

And the NHL and NHLPA

MACDUBBEDINENGLISH.

starring

Dubbedinenglish as the titular character.

Co-starring Based Huberdeau

Cake Boss

Banned
You guys are dicks, you really don't understand.

Because of Gary Bettman there should 3 women in that bed and a chimpanzee holding sex toys in its hand. That's how you party.

I don't know how Proust is surviving with just one female and with no chimpanzee sex orgys.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I like how fehr talks about profits when referring to nfl

Then when he starts talking about the nhl it's revenue

Quit the dog and pony show, it's a boring act

Top Bottom