• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
im starting Team Hope Solo

r3OV1.jpg

Guess mediation is giving the PA their evaluation this morning.

Dreger saying that NHL offer very much "take it or leave it", but they are willing to trade on certain items. Most logical thing there would be some amount of Make-whole in return for movement on contract length. Won't happen though. The players would rather lose an entire season's salary than take $50-100M less now. All about who "wins" and "loses".

Cake Boss

Banned
I don't even know what the fuck they are fighting about anymore, The NBA has a 4/5 year contract limits, the NFL doesn't even guarantee contracts and they all offer under 50% of revenue sharing, and both of those league are 5x times bigger than the NHL.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I don't even know what the fuck they are fighting about anymore, The NBA has a 4/5 year contract limits, the NFL doesn't even guarantee contracts and they all offer under 50% of revenue sharing, and both of those league are 5x times bigger than the NHL.

Because fehr keeps throwing in random shit that delinks revenue from salary cap

Like growth

Like cap freezing

Like escrow caps

Ps NHL was likely going to pass the nba in revenue in a year or two, but now?

ShaneB

Because most NHLer's are delusional in how big they think the NHL is.

Sure it's grown immensely over the past 20 years under Bettman's reign (man that was hard to type..), but it's still the red headed step child compared to other sports.

Because baseball has none of those things and that's where Fehr is from.

Cake Boss

Banned
Yeah I guess.

If the players are willing to play an 162 game season then sure it may work, also being the national past time sport of a country with 300+ million people compared to one with 30 million people then yeah.

DopeyFish

Why would the popularity of the sport matter for what percentage that would seem fair? The same argument could just be turned around.

Higher the revenue, the higher the percentage can realistically be because the largest costs outside player costs are not based on percentage of revenue and are relatively fixed costs (they typically don't see grand increases)

So if the nfl started pulling in 20 billion a year for example... The owners would make the same now if the players earned 75% of revenue

Right now it's really backwards

NFL players make less than 50%
MLB players make about 42%
NBA players make less than 50%
NHL players make less than 57%

Merguson

Banned
Donald Martin Fehr.

2nd Commissioner of the National Hockey League.

His first declaration as NHL Commissioner.

"We take the NHL teams from the owners. The rich. The oppressors of generations who've kept you down with the myth of salary cap equality. And we give it to you, the players. The NHL teams are yours - none shall interfere. Do as you please."

Believe.

see what the lockout is making me do

Higher the revenue, the higher the percentage can realistically be because the largest costs outside player costs are not based on percentage of revenue and are relatively fixed costs (they typically don't see grand increases)

So if the nfl started pulling in 20 billion a year for example... The owners would make the same now if the players earned 75% of revenue

Right now it's really backwards

NFL players make less than 50%
MLB players make about 42%
NBA players make less than 50%
NHL players make less than 57%

This is really interesting and if it is true I guess that it makes sense. I dont know what the other big costs are stuff like travel I understand that it is more tied to amount of players and games than revenue. Stadium costs on the other hand seems pretty tied to revenue? High revenue sports leads to bigger stadiums to take care of. The same thing for personell around the teams I guess, It´s not like it isn´t possible to run a hockey team with lower costs, I can´t see that the costs that a Swedish team have(outside of players) is remotely close to a NHL club.

But its a good argument from you and it would be interesting to see stats for other costs compared to revenue.

Pharros

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
A few players remain, but some have also left NJ-NYC. PA and mediator intend on mtng again this aft. So...we wait.

Confirmed, some players have no idea what's going on so they left. Let's hope the few that stayed are the ones who are looking to get a deal done...

Socreges

Banned
Geek post.

Final cuts tonight. 1 G, 3 D, 4 F

GONE: Beauvillier, Pouliot, Pelech, Graovac, Monahan
SAFE*: RNH, Huberdeau, Scheifele, Jenner, Strome, Rielly, Hamilton, Harrington, Ouellet (??)

8 forward spots left:

Drouin-Danault-Rattie
Hudon-MacKinnon-Ritchie
Shinkaruk-Catenacci-Wilson
Camara-McNeill-Lipon

(Gonna guess.... Catenacci, McNeill, Camara, Shinkaruk to be cut)

3 dman spots left:

Reinhart-Corrado
Murphy-Sproul
Wotherspoon-Dumba

(I'm guessing Sproul and Wotherspoon will be cut. If Dumba beats out Corrado.... man.)

* My own assumption based on the fact that they were left out of the lineup for today

ShaneB

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
A few players remain, but some have also left NJ-NYC. PA and mediator intend on mtng again this aft. So...we wait.

Confirmed, some players have no idea what's going on so they left. Let's hope the few that stayed are the ones who are looking to get a deal done...

I like you for having such a fantastic avatar. I was more a Blades of Steel guy, but Ice Hockey was grand times as well.

DopeyFish

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
Sidney Crosby (per @joshyohe_trib): "For me, it just doesn‘t make any sense. Why can‘t they get in the room and keep talking?"

Lolol

Cake Boss

Banned
Geek post.

Final cuts tonight. 1 G, 3 D, 4 F

GONE: Beauvillier, Pouliot, Pelech, Graovac, Monahan
SAFE*: RNH, Huberdeau, Scheifele, Jenner, Strome, Rielly, Hamilton, Harrington, Ouellet (??)

8 forward spots left:

Drouin-Danault-Rattie
Hudon-MacKinnon-Ritchie
Shinkaruk-Catenacci-Wilson
Camara-McNeill-Lipon

(Gonna guess.... Catenacci, McNeill, Camara, Shinkaruk to be cut)

3 dman spots left:

Reinhart-Corrado
Murphy-Sproul
Wotherspoon-Dumba

(I'm guessing Sproul and Wotherspoon will be cut. If Dumba beats out Corrado.... man.)

* My own assumption based on the fact that they were left out of the lineup for today

Corrado won't be cut, he had another goal today, at worst he would be 7th dman.

Hamilton Reilly
Harrington- Ouellet
Murphy-Corrado
Reinhart

Is the D we should be going with, too bad Canada has a hard on for Dumba and he will take one of Reinhart or Murphy's spot.

CCF23

Listening to The Hip's "Heaven is a Better Place Today" (written about Dan Snyder), and it's pissing me off. Makes me think about guys like Snyder and Bourdon and guys like that who didn't get to play the game they loved because they died. Makes all this bullshit seem even more ridiculous.

Just play the game and everyone get rich and shut the fuck up squabbling over things that are so fucking insignificant.

Socreges

Banned
Listening to The Hip's "Heaven is a Better Place Today" (written about Dan Snyder), and it's pissing me off. Makes me think about guys like Snyder and Bourdon and guys like that who didn't get to play the game they loved because they died. Makes all this bullshit seem even more ridiculous.

Just play the game and everyone get rich and shut the fuck up squabbling over things that are so fucking insignificant.
Read this and just try not to be depressed.

Cat Party

Hearing that the PA is doing "internal work" sounds like a point for Team Hope. That means they might be reconsidering their position, since we know the NHL has done nothing new.

Hearing that the PA is doing "internal work" sounds like a point for Team Hope. That means they might be reconsidering their position, since we know the NHL has done nothing new.
Know it's the players, they're probably discussing how much they're struggling without a 3rd vacation home.

I think the defense right now is really just a 3 way fight for the 7th spot.

The top 4 is already set, Reinhart and Corrado are almost certainly going to be that bottom pairing. It's just a question of who deserves the 7th spot between Murphy, Sproul Wotherspoon.

Dumba has no chance. He should've been cut last night.

Top Bottom