• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
500,000 viewers at 5am? That's crazy talk lol

I wonder what they'll reach when/if they reach the finals

Actually, bet its slightly inflated by BC - that's 1:30 am start for them

Socreges

Banned
500,000 viewers at 5am? That's crazy talk lol

I wonder what they'll reach when/if they reach the finals

Actually, bet its slightly inflated by BC - that's 1:30 am start for them
It's slightly inflated by the Red_Mans of the world. I don't know anyone who stayed up to watch the game (in BC). Does the 500k number not include the repeats or PVR recordings?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It's slightly inflated by the Red_Mans of the world. I don't know anyone who stayed up to watch the game (in BC). Does the 500k number not include the repeats or PVR recordings?
Repeats bump it to 1.22 Million or something like that according to Bob. You don't know anyone who stayed up? Probably because they're all Canuck fans, everyone around here are Leaf fans, that's not an insult either, just Leaf fans in general are nuts for hockey. I know close to 15 people who stayed up for the games so far.

Socreges

Banned
Repeats bump it to 1.22 Million or something like that according to Bob. You don't know anyone who stayed up? Probably because they're all Canuck fans, everyone around here are Leaf fans, that's not an insult either, just Leaf fans in general are nuts for hockey. I know close to 15 people who stayed up for the games so far.
Maybe you associate with more internet hermits than I do? :p When you've got stuff to do at normal times of the day, staying up until 430am, much less 730am, doesn't really make sense if you've got a PVR or repeats three times a day.

I don't doubt I'll be staying up for certain games, though, as they get deeper into the tournament. Just like I did with the World Championships.

A lot of interesting things in that proposal, I like it. Not getting my hopes up still, although if a deal was to be made, around now would be the time for it to happen. Fehr's been repeatedly holding out for better offers with success (at the cost of players' pay cheques), but with the season looking to be canceled in mid January if they don't come to terms, that game's almost played out now. Both sides, no matter how idiotic anyone comes off at (I'm looking at you players) have to realize the crippling effect that a cancelled season along with the clusterfuck any legal proceedings will bring forth will have on the health of the NHL and in effect, their wallets. I am hoping, but not pinning my hopes on, a CBA being signed in early January. God damn I want the NHL back, screw all this bullshit, I'm still going to start watching day 1 if it happens.

Pharros

6AM for us Newfoundlanders, not too too bad to get up around there, so I'm sure we account for some of the viewers in the early morning. Quite impressive overall though.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Maybe you associate with more internet hermits than I do? :p When you've got stuff to do at normal times of the day, staying up until 430am, much less 730am, doesn't really make sense if you've got a PVR or repeats three times a day.

I don't doubt I'll be staying up for certain games, though, as they get deeper into the tournament. Just like I did with the World Championships.
Those people I was referring to including myself are students on break so staying up until 4:30 isn't a big deal. Lots of people still on holidays as well.

Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib
Sense from some conversations: #NHL folks really believe new offer basis for a deal. #NHLPA players not sold on many parts of proposal.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle
General consensus from players on PA call: League's movement wasn't all that much. It's enough to restart talks, however.

LOL Nope Strikes again.

Oh god I hope so much with every fiber of my body that the players fuck this up, draw the ire of everybody, get blamed for the season ending, and then become the equivalent of indentured servants. Please lord god baby Jesus make this happen. Oh please.

Socreges

Banned
Posted in another thread. Thought NHL GAF might know.

Any drawbacks to this Acer laptop? I'm not great with differentiating between computers. Looking for value here. Just 4GB of RAM and 1.8Ghz being the low points compared to other laptops. If I'm not looking to run games, but hoping to run programs like Photoshop and Adobe Premiere, and for the laptop to not face any performance problems over the next few years, I should be fine? I honestly don't totally understand the significance of Processor Speed and what it affects.

Not for me.

Heretic

Rendering video is a resource hog. Even previewing. The more RAM the more you can preview. If you're doing basic video editing like cuts then you'll be ok. Otherwise go with more power and RAM.

Posted in another thread. Thought NHL GAF might know.

Any drawbacks to this Acer laptop? I'm not great with differentiating between computers. Looking for value here. Just 4GB of RAM and 1.8Ghz being the low points compared to other laptops. If I'm not looking to run games, but hoping to run programs like Photoshop and Adobe Premiere, and for the laptop to not face any performance problems over the next few years, I should be fine? I honestly don't totally understand the significance of Processor Speed and what it affects.

Not for me.

I'm not familiar with the lower-end laptop processors, but it seems decent to me. As long as the i3 isn't actually an atom processor, as Intel labels them as such nowadays (and I don't believe it is), then it looks fine to me. Very important to me in a laptop is its weight, and this one fits the bill along with having a few nice features (USB 3 and the SSD that should allow for fast OS functionality, not enough room for additional programs though.) I would expect that you may be able to find one with more brute force for the price if you don't care about how much it weighs.

I also wouldn't expect the SSD to come close to the speeds of ones you would purchase separately though, but it will probably be good enough. The integrated graphics (HD4000) are pretty decent nowadays compared to the crap they used to be, not enough for use as a gaming laptop, but should do for HD video viewing and such. Don't know about rendering though - usually the more power and RAM for that the better. I would look into benchmarks for HD4000 and for the CPU in photoshop and any other editing programs before making your choice.

Socreges

Banned
Thanks, guys.

It's actually $100 cheaper in-store, too... as long as it's available. That's why we're looking at that one specifically. And it does have to be quite light/portable.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I haven't had any problems with Acer.

I've never had an acer product which I didn't have to RMA

Ever. Across a bunch of my friends, acer fail rate is well above 50%... And no longer a brand worth considering.

I really have no idea how the company still exists

So a conference call is scheduled for 11am. I assume we'll get skyisfalling tweets within the hour.

Probably more of the same

romans_zps1d156e08.jpg

"What have the owners ever done for us ?"

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS

Expect NHL CBA talks to resume late Sunday or Monday in New York. NHL offer clarification will happen again in the morning Sunday.

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS

Conference calls between the NHLPA and the NHL are done for the day.

Lol, using the clarification / information sessions as a stalling tactic.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see a deal between Jan 5-10

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'd believe it.
I worked at the GM Centre in Oshawa when it was under construction and after it opened in the Winter of 06/07 and I'd believe it also. Those boys weren't the smartest of fellows and I can't imagine they got any smarter the further they went in the OHL->NHL. The puck bunnies lining up outside after practice were the smart ones buying lottery tickets by going out with them.

CREMSteve

Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib
Sense from some conversations: #NHL folks really believe new offer basis for a deal. #NHLPA players not sold on many parts of proposal.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle
General consensus from players on PA call: League's movement wasn't all that much. It's enough to restart talks, however.

LOL Nope Strikes again.
Greedy fucking bastards the NHLPA are.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Greedy fucking bastards the NHLPA are.

Cue brucewaynegretzky.

Seriously, I have no clue where the players are getting the idea that the league hasn't moved at all. They're lucky to get half of what was offered in this last proposal.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Cancel the season, go back to the September NHL offer, because fuck the players. Watch them cancel the season and then everyone taking a negotiation break until September again because it's "bad negotiating" to get a deal done in April.

This is all the people's fault who didn't wanna start negotiating February. Aka the NHLPA.

Solo

Watch them cancel the season and then everyone taking a negotiation break until September again.

You act like this isn't exactly what is going to happen.

Okay, September's pushing it, but once they cancel the season in January, they won't speak a word until June at the earliest.

Top Bottom