• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Just got back from a Toledo Walleye game (ECHL) against Kalamazoo. Was a very uneventful game, KZ won in a shootout to make it 4-3. Despite the score it was rather boring hockey unfortunately. Last few games I saw them were better.

createcard.php

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
4:30 am and I'll pm you a stream since I'm not sure if we're allowed to post them. I'm hoping Canada wins 6-5 in OT and Gally gets 5 points

Cancel the season, go back to the September NHL offer, because fuck the players. Watch them cancel the season and then everyone taking a negotiation break until September again because it's "bad negotiating" to get a deal done in April.

This is all the people's fault who didn't wanna start negotiating February. Aka the NHLPA.

What would starting in February have changed? NHL would have moved jack shit before they needed to. We would just have had more months of public embarrassing stuff like "This is the hill we die on", no it´s not, thats not how it works and it shows now. Some media have been talking about how the league hasn´t really been all that interested in moving to get a deal done untill the other sports are over and it is even more important that NHL are playing, and I´m starting to believe that, that is more important that when they would have started these charades. Cause they have meant jack shit.

I want to support Ducks now, despite the time-zone absurdities.
I will make it work goddammit.

Any tips on learning the rules quicker? Apart from playing the NHL games, of course.

Welcome Ezekiel! The Ducks are a fantastic franchise, with a terrific owner, a questionable GM, a great coach, highly ranked prospects in our system and All-Star players on our roster out the wazoo! We're a team that's rather low in attendance for the majority of Anaheims citizens... unless the Red Wings, Leafs or Canucks visit us... But we do have a strong, loyal and dedicated following with a history of making the playoffs (eight times), one Pacific Division title (2007), two Western Conference Championships (2003 and 2007) a Finals appearance in 2003 and a Stanley Cup in 2007.

First off, yes, we're an expansion team that started with Disney buying an NHL team in 1993 and marketing it off of a sucessful movie trilogy and cartoon series. Using the classic Wildwing logo as their logo primarily along with the "Mighty" moniker that was a part of the movies themselves. That is until 2004 when the Samuellis (Susan and Henry, two rich Californian lawyers) bought the team and changed our name from the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim to simply Anaheim Ducks. The Samuellis plans also included redesigning our logo, colours, the sponsorship of Arrowhead Pond to become Honda Centre (affectionately known as Ponda Centre) and, basically - gave us a new identity seperate from the Disney relation.

Who's who of Ducks fans on NeoGAF

Heretic and myself. The sole two fanboys. I myself watch Ducks games from Australia in +10 AEST, which is usually midday here. Chances are slim that we'll ever be able to catch live games (save for weekends and holidays) so watching the game via NHL Gamecenter on your mobile (Not the 2012 version of the app, but the 2014... or 2013 if the lockout somehow ends) can be a viable option and/or simply watching via NHL Gamecenter on your web browser whenever is most appropriate for you.

Feel free to read up on the history of the Anaheim Ducks on Wikipedia.

For Ducks blogs and news, check out Anaheim Calling (Blog) as well as OC Registers Ducks News. Also if you have Twitter feel free to Follow the OC Registers Ducks Beat Reporter - Eric Stephens.

Why do the Ducks exist? On August 9, 1988 Wayne Gretzky (AKA: The Great One and the greatest player to play the game ever) was traded to the LA Kings (our territorial rivals). With his presence being felt in LA, NHL hockey became even more and more popular in California. A survey was conducted of the territories from where fans were coming from in towards (what is now called) Staples Centre to witness Wayne Gretzky. The most popular city was, of course, Anaheim... And thusly when NHL expansion was announced in 1993 - the city of Anaheim was awarded an NHL team. (Source: ESPN - 30 for 30: King's Ransom)

As of last season, we had the oldest (42) and greatest Finnish player to play the game on our roster - Teemu Selanne. He is highly revered league-wide for his amazing scoring ability (even at his current age), his friendly, respectful and selfless personality, his love for fans and the sport of hockey, as well as his unbroken rookie goals record of 76 goals (with the Winnipeg Jets).

Along with Selanne... Our other current star players include:

Jonas Hiller - Starting goaltender who rose to fame in 2009 when the declining performance of Stanley Cup winning Giguere warranted Hiller starting in the playoffs to defeat another one of our territorial rivals - the San Jose Sharks. Since then his fantastic play and ability have earned him the #1 undisputed goaltender position as well as an All-Star game appearance in 2011.

Ryan Getzlaf - Our towering and skilled balding Captain, despite having a mediocre 2012, is our first line center and currently one of the (arguable) greatest playmakers currently in the NHL. As a rookie on our 2007 roster, himself and Corey Perry helped win our first championship title. In 2010, Ryan and Perry again both helped Team Canada win Gold in the Vancouver Olympics. While emotionally immature at times with his discipline, he has shown to be a powerful intimidating force on the ice as well as an elite playmaker with a cannon-like shot.

Corey Perry - Along with being the right-hand man of Getzlaf on the first line, Corey Perry is a skilled, fast and edgy player who garners most of our goals through crease-crashing, sniping and decisive passing. Often criticised unfairly by fans of teams of lower quality for his "dirty play", his 30g+ efforts each season make him one of the best forwards currently in the game. In 2011, Perry won the Hart Trophy as the leagues MVP as well as the Maurice "Rocket Richard" trophy for his 50G effort, the most in the NHL for that year.

Bobby Ryan - AKA: The player drafted behind the current active greatest player, Sidney Crosby, in the 2005 NHL draft. After working his butt off in the AHL (and remaining there due to cap mismanagement) and unfairly treated by former coach, Randy Carlyle, Bobby Ryan has become the key 3rd part of the Ducks top line. A likeable, positive, dedicated workhorse from Cherry Hill NJ, Bobby Ryan in 2009 became the first rookie in Ducks history to record the fastest hat trick by any player in the 15-year history of the franchise. He was then named as a finalist for the Calder trophy and finished the season with 31G and 26A. Bobby Ryan played for Team USA in the 2010 Vancouver Olympics and earned Silver. His 30G+ consistent efforts each season since then have made him a crucial part of the Ducks offense as well as having earned the yearning desire of all 29 other teams in the NHL for his name to grace their rosters.

Honourable mention: Saku Koivu - After serving as the Montreal Canadiens captain for 10 years (out of 14 years of being a Canadien), Saku Koivu signed with Anaheim in 2009 to anchor the second line and play with long-time fellow countryman Teemu Selanne. While not an incredibly massive presence on the scoresheet, his two-way play, work ethic, prodution (30-52 pts per season as a Duck) leadership and guidance have helped Anaheims offensive depth immensely. On January the 22nd, 2011 Saku made his return to the Montreal Canadiens arena Bell Centre as an Anaheim Duck and received a standing ovation. Later on that game, he'd take 3 penalties, one of which resulted in tying the game against the Canadiens with only 12.6 seconds left in regulation time... ... Thankfully Bobby Ryan won the shootout to win the game).

Saku Koivu said:
"It didn't go the way we planned, with a tying goal at the end and myself getting three penalties," Koivu said. "But I'm relieved, I'm happy that it's done. It was emotional enough to get ready for this game, then the reaction I got from the fans, there's not really words to describe the feelings that I had out there and again after the game. It was a great night, they're memories that will stay with me for the rest of my life."
Source/recap - Anaheim Ducks @ Montreal Canadiens 22 Jan 2011

In the past, the Ducks have had a mix of future-HOF/elite and some noteable talent grace their rosters, with names such as:

Paul Kariya - The first "superstar" of the Ducks, and our first true leader and Captain. Kariya had terrific chemistry with Teemu Selanne and was often an unstoppable tandem to provide the majority of offense. His production with Selanne earned him three NHL First All-Star Team invitations while also finishing as the first runner-up for the Hart Memorial Trophy in 1997. Kariya also won back-to-back Lady Byng Trophies in 1996 and 1997. One unforgettable moment that all Ducks fans should be aware of happened in Game 6 of the 2003 Stanley Cup Finals. Kariya won Silver in the 2004 Winter Olympics on behalf of Team Canada. Eight years later, he helped Canada win gold at the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. In between Olympic appearances, he won gold and silver at the 1994 and 1996 World Championships, respectively. Kariya went on to free agency in 2004 and demanded $10 million dollars to stay with Anaheim, which could not be reprocated from the organization itself. This situation has led many early fans to believe that Paul Kariya is a "traitor". Which is incredibly wrong. Paul went on to play with the Colorado Avalance, Nashville Predators and finally the St Louis Blues before retiring in 2011 due to post-concussion symptoms.

Jean-Sébastien "Giggy" Giguère - Won the Conn Smythe trophy in 2003 for setting a record for the longest playoff overtime shutout streak at 168 minutes and 27 seconds, despite the New Jersey Devils beating the Ducks to win the Stanley Cup. The aforementioned image of Giguere receiving the Conn Smythe trophy as he expresses obvious sadness over being eliminated from the Finals is a strong image that resonates with a lot of Ducks fans. Giguere later led the Ducks to their first Stanley Cup in 2007 - an image which resonates even stronger with more Ducks fans. He also received the 2003 ESPY award for best hockey player as well as a 2009 All-Star game invitation. Giguere was later traded in 2009 to the Toronto Maple Leafs after a decline in performance in comparison to backup goaltender Jonas Hiller. As of last season, Giguere has been a backup goaltender to Semyon Varlamov of the Colorado Avalance.

Chris Pronger - Requested a controversial trade from the Edmonton Oilers ((Important Note: Delusional Oilers fans think that the Justin Schultz situation is justified purely because of this circumstance - they're idiots, and are terribly wrong)) and was picked up by the, then, current Ducks GM Brian Burke who helped us to go on to win the Stanley Cup in 2007 - followed by a trade in 2009 to the Flyers... (All due to cap space issues of not being able to afford both Scott Neidermayer AND Chris Pronger)... Unfortunately, after suffering an injury, Chris Pronger has been put on Long Term Injury Reserve with the Flyers and is widely believed to be retired due to concussions resulting from said injury.

Scott Neidermayer - Served as Captain for several years including during the 2007 Stanley Cup victory. Originally signed after his debut, and very successful tenure, with the New Jerysey Devils, all in order to achieve a championship with his (more unskilled) brother Rob Neidermayer whom was signed a year prior to. Won Gold in the 2010 Vancouver Olympics as Captain of the Olympic Roster itself.

As well as the aforemention, other such players include... Ruslan Salei (RIP), Guy Hebert, Chris Kunitz, Steve Rucchin, Rob Niedermayer, Andy Macdonald, Ilya Bryzgalov (Trivia: Current starting goaltender for the Philadelphia Flyters, he briefly took over as the starter for the first four games of the Western Conference quarter-finals in 2007 in replacement of Giguere, winning three games, as Giguère took a leave of absence with personal issues) and Samuel Pahlsson.

Each of these names have made an immense on-ice contribution towards the Anaheim Ducks (in one way or another) and should be acknowledged as significant contributers. Some of the ex-players, such as Scott Neidermayer (considered one of the best defenceman in the NHL of the past 20 years), have been hired by the Anaheim Ducks organization as a consultant, as well as being a role model and trainer for current defenceman project Cam Fowler (Trivia: When Cam Fowler was first assigned to Anaheims roster, he lived with Scott Neidermayer and his family during the first year of his Entry Level Contract, where he was tutored and taken care of as well as given the opportunity to get to know Scotts play style and lifestyle habits).

What's the future looking like?

With Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf heading towards free agency, 2/3rds of our top line have an uncertain future with the Ducks. With Getzlaf wearing the C and having a family established in Anaheim, it's very likely that we see him signing back up and continuing to lead the team. Will it be enough to influence Perry to stay here too? Bob Murray is going to have to work some magic here...

Teemu Selanne is most certainly playing his final season, if we were to have a 2013 season, or has already played his last season in the NHL. As a powerful presence on the scoresheet, his contributions as well as his influence on the team, will be sorely missed.

Along with this, we'll also predict to generally see a declined performance on our blue line from aging Francois Beaucheman, a cornerstone Defensive presence that we saw elite depth offense and a highly skilled prospect sent to Toronto in exchange for, as well as Toni Lydman and Saku Koivu.

But with open slots on the roster, it means there's opportunity for some of our highly-regarded elite prospects to make their debut. With offense such as Emerson Etem (led the entire CHL in goals in 2012 with 61G), Peter Holland, Kyle Palmieri and D talent Sami Vatenen looking to make the roster.

As well as that... Cam Fowler, a projected 3rd overall pick that we snapped up at #12 in 2010, is blossoming into the stud puck-moving defenceman talent that the Ducks have been missing since Scott Neidermayer retired.

We have solid talent at all positions in our prospect pool. And overall, a future that is certainly bright.

Last minute trivia: The Ducks nearly signed Wayne Gretzky !!

During the 1996 off-season, there was speculation that the Mighty Ducks would acquire Wayne Gretzky, whose contract had expired with the St. Louis Blues. Gretzky's agent had publicly declared that the All-Star centre had interest in joining the Ducks, particularly to play with Kariya and Selänne, though the team had not contacted him with an offer. Instead, the Ducks signed 36-year-old centre Jari Kurri from the New York Rangers. Following the signing, Ducks head coach Ron Wilson commented that "A veteran player is much better prepared to play with guys like Teemu and Paul." (Though Kariya began the season centred by Kurri, the Finnish veteran did not often play on the top line in his lone season with the team). This is further proof that Ron Wilson is a goddamn moron and is evidence that in 2013 he still does not have a job coaching an NHL team after being fired from the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2012 and being replaced by ex-Ducks coach Randy Carlyle.

... Also Justin Schultz is a fucking douchebag, and the LA Queens suck.

Subban is looking so fierce this game.

As well as that, I'm seriously enjoying Grimaldi failing at all of his attempts to set ANYTHING up, and slightly conflicted at how good John Gibson is. He's got future starting goaltender written all over him.

Hartman r fukkan dum. Teem USA r fukkan dum.

EDIT: Forgot WJC thread existed. Sorry.

nice write up dastardly.
nice to see that koivu is appreciated in anaheim. still pissed that we let him go. was my one of my favorite players, and we had to replace him with gomez

dstrdly pls

Don't try to Socreges the newb

It's OK I made a Montreal Canadiens version for you just incase a potential Habs fan comes here

ok here we go

Welcome *potential fan name*! The Montreal Canadiens are a good team with a rich history but I, Solo, still don't know what soap and shaving cream is.

Marvie_3

Banned
What would starting in February have changed? NHL would have moved jack shit before they needed to. We would just have had more months of public embarrassing stuff like "This is the hill we die on", no it´s not, thats not how it works and it shows now. Some media have been talking about how the league hasn´t really been all that interested in moving to get a deal done untill the other sports are over and it is even more important that NHL are playing, and I´m starting to believe that, that is more important that when they would have started these charades. Cause they have meant jack shit.

izlQLcTrlHBw.gif

Cake Boss

Banned
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod
CBA calls are about to resume, and could lead to a face-to-face meeting later today. Some points have been agreed upon.

MORE HOPUIM FOR YUR SUNDAY MORNING!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
@DarrenDreger: RT @aaronward_nhl: NHLPA / NHL lawyers and financial staff met face to face.Still in the review and clarification stage. #TSN

Top Bottom