• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I love how the Hope/Nope divide has gone on long enough that it's starting to take on tribalistic elements. The standard hostility and generalizations. Soon we'll be at each other with rocks and spears.

I plan on using a board with a nail in it.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I hope they just keep pushing the meeting back until the drop-dead date and time runs out.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Hearing NHL new counter offer it has worked on last 24 hrs is comprehensive; hence the delay this evening putting finishing touches on it

The NHL is probably photocopying their asses and stapling it to the back of the proposal.

If that's true then shouldn't this thing be pretty close to being done? Unless revenue isn't this HRR we all keep hearing about.

The Salary cap in 2013-2014(NHL wants a $60M cap, NHLPA wants $67M) and escrow are the biggest issues from my understanding.

The players want a cap on escrow(league revenues will drop due to the lockout and they don't want to be on the hook for it).

Snowdrift

More simpleton economics from the NHLPA

Taylor Hall said:
RT @darrenturcotte8: It is pretty obvious. The shorter the season the more owners make. 1/2 salaries plus all benefits of playoff money for 48 game season

I guess the fixed costs paid out in signing bonuses, front office staff and facilities are irrelevant in the minds of the NHLPA when determining total costs and profit.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The Salary cap in 2013-2014(NHL wants a $60M cap, NHLPA wants $67M) and escrow are the biggest issues from my understanding.

The players want a cap on escrow(league revenues will drop due to the lockout and they don't want to be on the hook for it).

Ah gotcha.

At least they haven't blown up at each other yet

Bettman to speak in a minute

Kypreos says there has been movement on the NHL side again

Bettman looks not pissed

There were some things we agreed to
There were some things we moved towards the players
There were some things we said no to

And I think I bought that sweater Bettman was wearing on boxing day lol

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Revenue sharing and 10 year CBA with conditions agreed to by both sides

So... Pension, contracting, escrow appear to be the MAJOR issues left

Pension is easy

Don't see NHL budging on the other two (Especially escrow)

Revenue sharing and 10 year CBA with conditions agreed to by both sides

So... Pension, contracting, escrow appear to be the MAJOR issues left

Pension is easy

Don't see NHL budging on the other two (Especially escrow)

They'll get SOMETHING on contracting, though I expect the numbers to be tweaked on length and fluctuation. Escrow will be killer. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fehr cave there in exchange for contracting restriction changes.

DopeyFish

They'll get SOMETHING on contracting, though I expect the numbers to be tweaked on length and fluctuation. Escrow will be killer. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fehr cave there in exchange for contracting restriction changes.

Contracting is very important because of insurance

I think the max the NHL can do is 7 years (they are at 6 years / 7 years for drafted team currently)

Insurance is important to players too as if someone goes on LTIR, they're paid with insurance and it frees up the cap space for another player (with up to equal value)

It's essentially adding money outside of the system

DopeyFish

Don't forget the 2013/14 cap, still a big issue

The current assumption (which confuses me)... Is players want the high cap even with high escrow to keep teams together and hope revenues pick up

It also raises the floor, increases team spending so pool increases but players are paid less

Instead of low cap = players paid more, but less available for others

The logic doesn't fly to me considering some of the players comments though

Contracting is very important because of insurance

I think the max the NHL can do is 7 years (they are at 6 years / 7 years for drafted team currently)

Insurance is important to players too as if someone goes on LTIR, they're paid with insurance and it frees up the cap space for another player (with up to equal value)

It's essentially adding money outside of the system

Why can't they go past 7 years? And when did they move to 6/7? Last I remember was 5/7 I thought.

At this point why not just go 7 across the board and drop the damn variance limits? If the contract is capped at 7 years the variance doesn't seem particularly important.

DopeyFish

Why can't they go past 7 years? And when did they move to 6/7? Last I remember was 5/7 I thought.

At this point why not just go 7 across the board and drop the damn variance limits? If the contract is capped at 7 years the variance doesn't seem particularly important.

Because insurance companies don't want to insure contracts greater than 7 years

No insurance means when a player gets injured, team eats the cost... Depending on the team and contract value, they might not be able to afford other contracts in their place

Variance is important because it deflates cap hit.... Can't have those types of contracts

Though it makes me want NHL to stop averaging salary over contract length

Because insurance companies don't want to insure contracts greater than 7 years

No insurance means when a player gets injured, team eats the cost... Depending on the team and contract value, they might not be able to afford other contracts in their place

I understand what you're saying, what I don't understand is where they got the 7 year figure from. It's obviously not arbitrary. Are they NOT getting insurance now? Did insurers just come to them and say "We won't insure contracts longer than 7 years anymore?"

OK, so they're not covering everyone, and already eating some costs. The 7 year contract term requirement is rather arbitrary as a "non-negotiable" then. It's not like its the difference between total coverage and no coverage. I understand why they'd set that as their benchmark, but it hardly seems like a "necessary" term for them considering what they get by capping at 7 years.

DopeyFish

OK, so they're not covering everyone, and already eating some costs. The 7 year contract term requirement is rather arbitrary as a "non-negotiable" then. It's not like its the difference between total coverage and no coverage. I understand why they'd set that as their benchmark, but it hardly seems like a "necessary" term for them considering what they get by capping at 7 years.

Everything is insurable... But after year 7 the prices likely become ridiculous. Especially with players with injury history.

And insurance plays a pretty big part in nhls ability to keep guaranteed contracts.

Sidney Crosby can't play overseas right now because the teams can't afford his contract premiums which are probably upwards of $1.5-2 mil a year

Merguson

Banned
From everyone's favorite insider.

Kypreos reports that both sides had internal meetings on adding four more teams to the playoffs but it hasn't been brought up in negotiations.

Hope for the Leafs??

DopeyFish

Kypreos reports that both sides had internal meetings on adding four more teams to the playoffs but it hasn't been brought up in negotiations.

Hope for the Leafs??

Fuck I hope not

I'd rather the NHL expand to 48 teams and have a 32 team playoff before they do something as lame as 4 extra playoff teams

It screws up the great symmetry of the playoffs

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Fucking LOL. Screw the regular season, who needs it? Just put every fucking team in the playoffs from the get-go and do one big ass tournament.

The MLB had the right idea with the additional wildcard and play-in game, and I'd be behind the NFL adding another wildcard per conference (and eliminating the #2 bye), but 20 fucking playoff teams in the NHL would just be absurd.

Quick

Banned
Would things be ton more simple if the league changes to a W/L/GB count, rather than a points system (2W, 0L, 1OT)?

That reminds me of when UEFA added a second group stage to the Champions League. It was awful, everyone hated it, and after a few years it was scrapped.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Hope for the Leafs??

What is this garbage?

No. No. NO.

Top Bottom