• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

I just started playing AW over the weekend. The beginning, thus far, has been hilariously bad. However I read somewhere on GAF that sequence is all part of building Alan's character, so I'm not giving it much weight.

Alan and his ugly girlfriend have just arrived in Bright Falls.

The Leafs are going to be well prepared for the new NHL, unlike last time, Brian Burke has been preparing for this!

JVR will lead us to victory!

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I am leaving Team Nope

I am now a member of Team Toronto Maple Leafs Hope, the most optimistic team in hockey
The first domino has fallen. The rest of you will fall behind until all that is left is Solo in the fetal position muttering about battered wives and how LeBrun's goatee won't stop haunting him.

HFBoards losing their collective shit over that Eklund tweet :lol

Now Dreger reporting on TSN that DoI filing still a strong possibility tonight? HOPENOPE ROLLERCOASTER.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
io6RBO4YDZlRo.gif

This gif reminds me of the time I was at one of my brother's hockey games. In between periods (after the Zamboni re-ices the rink) they have a contest and call some kid (who couldn't have been more than 7 years old) down from the crowd for a chance to win $100. All he has to do is put the puck in the net from center ice.

They go ahead and put some wooden thing in the net that reduces his chances of winning. He takes the shot. The puck clearly has enough speed on it to go in and is heading right for the spot where it needs to be. When the puck hits the crease, it's still got plenty of speed.

All of a sudden, the puck instantly stops about 2 inches from going into the goal. It was like somebody had put a force field around the net.

The problem? A low spot in the crease had a puddle of water that hadn't frozen. Instead of clearing away the water and giving the kid another shot, they sent him back into the crowd and screwed him over. Still one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen.

Anyway, back to video game and CBA talk.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
HFBoards losing their collective shit over that Eklund tweet :lol

Now Dreger reporting on TSN that DoI filing still a strong possibility tonight? HOPENOPE ROLLERCOASTER.

Eklund? The man who seriously proposed that EVERY team makes the playoffs?

Where is Dreger reporting DOI?

No confirmation, just that it was still a strong possibility from his perspective. Supposedly on TSN, but I'm at work letting HFBoards summarize things so I'm not sure what the exact quote was.

The NBPA filed for that shit and 18 days later they had a CBA, you could still negotiate.

Yep. Quite the bomb to drop at this point in negotiations though. Wouldn't put it past them.

PA walking thin ice. Not too difficult to see a compromise, but not difficult to see a misstep pissing the league off indefinitely either.

Solo

The fuck do NHLers need pensions for? I'm sorry, if you're making over $1m annually, I have no fucking sympathy for you if you can't manage your money post-retirement.

Solo

Players who play for the minimum and get injured?

Okay then, call it a double standard or whatever, but the guys who don't fall into that category should get sweet fuck all. The idea of Sidney Crosby getting a pension is beyond ridiculous. Like a clause or something that says that once a player has made more than $5M career earnings, he doesn't qualify for a pension anymore.

Players who play for the minimum and get injured?
This is one part where I'm a bit soft on. Most of these guys come into the league with no college (or even high school) education and come into hundreds of thousands before 21. They also have no education on how to manage that amount of wealth from an early age so they are managed by people whose best interest is themselves (aka leeches). I would be ok with pensions for guys under a certain amount. The better solution.is a wealth management training to start as soon as the draft happens. Maybe with PA as an larger management firm for new players until they can take charge of their own money. This PA though is more concerned about here and now than future players.

Plinko

Sorry--it didn't work out for you in your chosen field. Find a different field.

It sounds harsh but that's how it works for 99% of people in society. The pensions should be a non-issue.

That's an easy one... Witcher 1/2. And it's true, you don't need to play the first.

Dragon Age 1 was fantastic, but the second installment was really lacking. I'd say you should still play at least the 1st, and then see if the 2nd is necessary at all in order to fully understand #3. And I'm a huge Bioware fan who loved all three Mass Effects despite some shortcomings in the third. DA2 was really just kind of meh. Kingdoms of Amalur is a different kind of RPG, and while vast and fun for different reasons, I don't think it can be compared to the other two directly... I enjoyed my time with it, but never felt compelled to complete it. YMMV.

tl;dr: Play DA1 and TW2.

I actually played Dragon Age 1 when it came out but I got the Ultimate Edition so I want to play the DLC. DA2 will likely disappoint me but I'm a bit of a completionist when it comes to RPG's.

Maybe I'll just blaze through Witcher 1 on Easy.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
This is one part where I'm a bit soft on. Most of these guys come into the league with no college (or even high school) education and come into hundreds of thousands before 21. They also have no education on how to manage that amount of wealth from an early age so they are managed by people whose best interest is themselves (aka leeches). I would be ok with pensions for guys under a certain amount. The better solution.is a wealth management training to start as soon as the draft happens. Maybe with PA as an larger management firm for new players until they can take charge of their own money. This PA though is more concerned about here and now than future players.

All they need to take is a basic investing/finance course.

Quick

Banned

Apparently, a money management course/seminar does exist for players, held by the NHLPA.

That's what someone told me, at least.

Cake Boss

Banned
Blow this shit up over $40,000 a year when the average salary is $2,400,000 plus revenue sharing and sponsorships when you already lost $800M.

/PA Logic

Marvie_3

Banned
Sorry--it didn't work out for you in your chosen field. Find a different field.

It sounds harsh but that's how it works for 99% of people in society. The pensions should be a non-issue.
Exactly. Pensions for guys making 20+ times what the average person makes is a fucking joke.

Give me 25% of Crosby's salary for one year and I'm retired to-fucking-day.
This.

I was going to suggest that the PA set up a voluntary 'pension-style' investment plan for the players - then I realized that's a terrible idea for 2 reasons:

1) Since it's voluntary, only the smart athletes (who would have been fine either way) would invest, and;

2) Since it's the PA, somehow, someday, someone would steal all of the money.

Top Bottom