• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

CCF23

And they are protected by escrow

Yeah. Feels like one of those things where the NHL says they won't budge for the sake of trying to get the players to cave to it. I'm sure they'll come off $60 mil as we get closer to the 11th. If we get a deal done, that number will probably be closer to $65 than $60.

Exactly. They're not going to lose the other half of the season and all that money when they're this close.

The core economic issues are virtually solved. That's all you need to know. There's no point in them caving to everything now when they have another week to squeeze and see what last bits they can get, but to throw an entire other half a season away over what separates them right now (A "Dennis Wideman" gap in salary cap, some pension issues, and a difference in salary variance) would be complete insanity.

CCF23

Can someone hope-ify my avy? I'm picking sides.

hQQPI.jpg

NHL 94 font. Welcome.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Actually CCF23;46005092 could you hopeify my avatar as well? I didn't think if would fit the context but it'll have double meaning with gally being the face of the Habs soon.

Quick

Banned
Actually CCF23;46005092 could you hopeify my avatar as well? I didn't think if would fit the context but it'll have double meaning with gally being the face of the Habs soon.

ibkWS3ZIihAIJ3.png
ibh1p26pJWy1B8.png

Second one might not be as effective. Looks like it says "CHOPE".

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So the new schedule would have teams facing division rivals 7 times each.

No thank you.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
How will you ever sell out all those games against the Blue Jackets?

That's part of my problem with it. No games against teams from the other conference and 7 games against the Blue Jackets? CAN YOU FEEL THE EXCITEMENT?

I think it's certainly time for trade offs and let's end this crap. Players, whats more important, Pensions or Cap in 2013/14? One side gets one and the other side gets the other.

That's part of my problem with it. No games against teams from the other conference and 7 games against the Blue Jackets? CAN YOU FEEL THE EXCITEMENT?

Their AHL affiliate is tearing it up this year. Atkinson and Johansen have been doing great. I'm sure the games will be closer. Plus, we have the number one cop as our goalie now. Can't be much worse than Steve Mason.

Apparently the NHL isn't willing to budge on a $60 million cap right now...Which seems a little bit silly to me. I'd bet there's a decent number of owners that would hate a $60 million cap. PA is asking for it to be in the $65-$67 million range.

The fact that they're fighting over a $5 million difference in where the salary cap will be and not huge money issues shows both how close they are and how silly this is.

From what I've heard the NHL wants a $60M cap and the PA wants a $67M cap. That's $7M per team, so $210M.

That on top of a Make Whole of $300M and you're talking half a billion dollars. I don't think it's as small as a Dennis Wideman contract when you pile it all together.

From what I've heard the NHL wants a $60M cap and the PA wants a $67M cap. That's $7M per team, so $210M.

That on top of a Make Whole of $300M and you're talking half a billion dollars. I don't think it's as small as a Dennis Wideman contract when you pile it all together.
How many teams are usually close to the cap? I understand that it will be many more than usually, but 210 seems way to much.

AHL =/= NHL

edit: Also Bobrovsky is hot garbage

Yeah, I understand it isn't equal. But Atkinson finished last season almost getting two hattys within less than a week of each game.

Bob's had a decent season in the KHL but I know KHL =/= NHL either. Whatever, I just want to see some NHL hockey.

Beez

Banned
My dad says anyone who gets behind this shortened season is a fool. I'm sort of excited to see the Leafs back again *shrugs*

How many teams are usually close to the cap? I understand that it will be many more than usually, but 210 seems way to much.

Old cap was $70M so floor was $56M ($54M?). So yeah, might not be as much money as I'm thinking, considering most teams don't go to the cap. Any word on whether the variance between cap and floor will remain the same?

Old cap was $70M so floor was $56M ($54M?). So yeah, might not be as much money as I'm thinking, considering most teams don't go to the cap. Any word on whether the variance between cap and floor will remain the same?
I´m not sure, and another factor is the already missed paychecks, bringing it down further(I think).

Yeah, I understand it isn't equal. But Atkinson finished last season almost getting two hattys within less than a week of each game.

Bob's had a decent season in the KHL but I know KHL =/= NHL either. Whatever, I just want to see some NHL hockey.

Almost =/= Did

Also:

@michaelgrange: A couple of encouraging details: #NHL has agreed to two compliance buyouts/team in 2013-14; and variance on contracts in 20% range now

Why is two necessary? Give back 1 and make the cap higher in 13/14. Seems like the NHL is doing this so they could help teams comply with the 60 mill cap next season, but really what team has 2 buy out candidates? If any they're aren't a lot.

Bettman wants to punish the high cap spending teams it seems.

Yes let's punish the teams that generate all our revenue! Great idea.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The dirty little secret of professional sports leagues is you want the big market teams to be able to eek out small competitive advantages from their financial advantages. The trick is obviously balancing this. Situations like the Yankees are not good for a sport. Situations like the NY Rangers can be.

The big market teams are always going to be the driving force behind the sport. If they are unable to transition from being horrible slightly faster it hurts the league overall.

Top Bottom