• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Marvie_3

Banned
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

League source says all "changes" to Article 50 were highlighted and flagged and the union has had docs for a week.
:lol :lol

Real_ESPNLeBrun (Pierre LeBrun)
Players on conference call were angry about the HRR dust-up with the league. Foul mood right now on players' side
:lol

Deal will be announced soon ? we'll see ... we've heard that before.

why do you have to pick on pens fans?

4-the_rock_clap_clap_gif.gif

Xeke

Banned
What exactly makes this so much harder to achieve than every other major sport in America? Is it the fact that they have envy of the NFL,NBA and MLB? MLS will be more popular at this rate.

What exactly makes this so much harder to achieve than every other major sport in America? Is it the fact that they have envy of the NFL,NBA and MLB? MLS will be more popular at this rate.

Too many concussions and head injuries on the NHLPA side.

Row

Banned

NFL - high % of players with some form of university education
NBA - high % of players with some form of university education
NHL - 2 + 2 = 13

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Wasn't there some fan movement that promised to not watch games for every single day they missed from December 20th or 21st?

The disparity in revenue between rich teams like Toronto and poor teams like Phoenix are larger than they are in other leagues.

Row

Banned
Wouldn't it make more sense to move franchises to northern cities where hockey is more popular?

in the short term, but in the long term it hurts the chances of big tv deal when you have no presence in several major markets

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
The disparity in revenue between rich teams like Toronto and poor teams like Phoenix are larger than they are in other leagues.

Just looked

NBA and MLB there's greater disparity

NFL is close

That's percentage wise.

In actual dollars? NHL has tightest league of the big 4 by a decent margin, which is pretty interesting considering NHL doesn't have a big tv deal.

NHL problems isn't market. It's purely the player share.

Just looked

NBA and MLB there's greater disparity

NFL is close

That's percentage wise.

In actual dollars? NHL has tightest league of the big 4 by a decent margin, which is pretty interesting considering NHL doesn't have a big tv deal.

NHL problems isn't market. It's purely the player share.

Is it really considered the big 4 or is it the big 3 and the other guys (MLS, NHL, PBA, etc)

DopeyFish

Is it really considered the big 4 or is it the big 3 and the other guys (MLS, NHL, PBA, etc)

Its big 4

NHL revenue is close to NBA (very close) and that's saying a lot considering TV deals. NHL beats NBA on gate and merch.
MLB is NHL and NBA combined
NFL is a couple billion more than that.

MLS all franchises combined has less revenue than the maple leafs...

League minimum salaries

NHL: $525,000
MLB: $480,000
NBA: $473,604
NFL: $390,000
MLS: $33,750

Marvie_3

Banned
no, but it can certainly do a lot better than 200m over time

Possibly but the NHL was already a fringe sport to begin with. With the other major sports and UFC/MLS/etc also gaining popularity, there is a lot more competition for tv money now. It'll be decades before the NHL ever sniffs TV revenue of $1B+/year.

The PBA? Really? :lol :lol

DopeyFish

WHAT ABOUT NASCAR????

/arab

NASCAR is slightly under NHL at about $3 billion

It certainly won't be anymore if it ever even was. Time magazine called it a "Wannabe Major Sport"

Time is full of shit.

The only thing holding back the NHL is the TV deals. NHL gate revenue beats NBA and would be decently close to NFL.

If TV is out of the picture, MLB becomes the #1 sport. Yankees have higher gate revenue than Leafs, Lakers and Cowboys combined.

Alucard

Banned
I was wondering if there was any progress today. This is my source for lockout news. Haven`t been checking news sites at all.

Marvie_3

Banned
NASCAR is slightly under NHL at about $3 billion
I don't consider NASCAR a sport at all so I wasn't being serious. :lol

I was wondering if there was any progress today. This is my source for lockout news. Haven`t been checking news sites at all.
Here's how you can see what kind of progress was made:

1. Stand up
2. Spin around in circles a few times
3. Sit back down

I am not responsible for any injuries you may sustain while attempting this

Top Bottom