• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

In all seriousness though, NHL growth is also held back by the extreme amount of money it costs to actually play the sport and it's growth in the US is stunted by the fact that Americans don't dominate the sport. Sounds petty but it's true.

Marvie_3

Banned
In all seriousness though, NHL growth is also held back by the extreme amount of money it costs to actually play the sport and it's growth in the US is stunted by the fact that Americans don't dominate the sport. Sounds petty but it's true.
If Americans don't dominate the sport then why hasn't a Canadian team won the Cup since '93?

Acid08

Banned
Is it the most expensive sport to actually buy tickets to? Sure seems like it.

It's not so much "American" but the team reflecting the population it plays in. When most people think of a hockey team they see a bunch of white guys on ice. A more diverse league would help, but is an image problem.

Marvie_3

Banned
It's not so much "American" but the team reflecting the population it plays in. When most people think of a hockey team they see a bunch of white guys on ice. A more diverse league would help, but is an image problem.

Another part of it is that you have players(Subban, Ovechkin, etc) that get blasted for showing even a smidge of personality. I'm not saying NHL players need to turn into a bunch of prima donna wide receivers, but it's ridiculous to criticize players for not being robots.

I just the email from the devils about it

The Devils organization is pleased to announce that it has completed a refinancing of its credit facilities with CIT Group acting as lead arranger. The organization believes that its successful refinancing during a work stoppage demonstrates the strength of the Devils franchise and the Prudential Center, enabling it to continue to execute on its business plan. In addition, in connection with the refinancing, Jeff Vanderbeek and his affiliated entities purchased the stakes of his co-owners, Brick City Hockey and its related entities.

Statement from Jeff Vanderbeek:

“Today’s announcement is good news for Devils fans though I fully recognize fans' frustration with the work stoppage. Our future is now secure and we can be confident of continued on-ice success. Our team has gone to the Stanley Cup Final 5 times in the last 17 years and following the most recent run to the Stanley Cup Final last year, we are excited about our future -- for Jersey's team and Prudential Center, home to the 2013 NHL Draft.

I am grateful to Mike Gilfillan and Brick City Hockey for our former partnership. Together we shared a passion that led to the building of the Prudential Center – truly a shining jewel of a facility and in my view one of the best arenas in the entire world. The Rock is a great legacy for which we will always be proud.”

Sincerely,

The New Jersey Devils

Xeke

Banned
Its big 4

NHL revenue is close to NBA (very close) and that's saying a lot considering TV deals. NHL beats NBA on gate and merch.
MLB is NHL and NBA combined
NFL is a couple billion more than that.

MLS all franchises combined has less revenue than the maple leafs...

League minimum salaries

NHL: $525,000
MLB: $480,000
NBA: $473,604
NFL: $390,000
MLS: $33,750

How does it make any sense that the min NHL salary is that much more than an NFL salary.

Row

Banned
How does it make any sense that the min NHL salary is that much more than an NFL salary.

nfl rosters are much bigger, and the nflpa gets a smaller revenue share than the nhlpa

edit: thought those were averages, although I guess the above still applies to minimum salary

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Although the two sides are expected to resume meetings Friday morning, the NHL's locked-out players did not show up for a meeting that commissioner Gary Bettman said a federal mediator wanted to start at 10 a.m., instead choosing to update their membership.

From Burnside's ESPN article. Classy to the very end, PA.

Both Burnside and Lebrun have articles up that Team Nope would enjoy.

It seems like the two choices for the players, the owners and the game are bend and make a deal or complete and utter chaos, with the players feeling most of the brunt of that chaos

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Josh Rimer said:
From an NHL Sponsor. "We're pretty confident we'll be playing Hockey on Jan 19th."

"I should say by talking to that player I still got the impression that a deal will get done this season. Just know this will go to the wire."

CCF23

NHL GAF Pun hour is right up there with Post - Leafs victory on the list of things that I am glad don't happen too often.

post-45702-0-99950800-1354134171.gif

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Django was a lot of fun.
Until the big shootout, it was fun AND captivating. And then Tarantino went, "fuck it, let's blow shit up and have more fun!". Still great, but I liked Basterds and especially Kill Bill more.

Anyone remember the NHL? That was a helluva league.

CCF23

I played a fuck of a lot of Hitman Absolution today. The 11th mission of that game can go fuck itself. Otherwise, I'm enjoying it a lot.

Eugh, I missed out on WJC because I had company :( woke up and saw the result.. not happy.

Hey, so what happens if they decide to lower the cap to 60m in the next season but teams, like Vancouver, are over it?

And for some reason or another today was spent in the garden helping mum and getting angry at Doom II and Lego Lord Of The Rings respectively.

Join the Hope side, Dastardly!

After hearing that our main main is saying we'll have a season next monday... I'm almost thinking twice. If anyone can make me switch teams - it's TEEEEEEEEEMMMMMMMMUUUUUU (there's a gay joke in here about "trading multiple teams" but I can't word it properly).

Selanne fanboyism and my general yearning for positivity aside - logic says Nope.

John Gibson is fucking awesome. Be happy about that pick, Ducks fans.

ARE WE EVER

Hiller's about 4 seasons from being past his prime, that's when Mr Gibson steps up and becomes our prophesised starter. ALL HAIL GIBSON!

you bet your ass we are!!! Loves me some Gibson!!! He's coming back from an injury too. So glad he's tearing it up. Guaranteed silver medal for that guy and for sure MVP of the tourney if they have that.

They have Player of the Game awards, he's gotten it a few times I believe. And well deservedly so!

... Unless Bob Murray fucking trades him to Toronto.

I like it. Team Hope to be rebranded as Team Cope!

:lol

Because Coping Mechanisms are what you'll need to learn once we have to wait for a new season :( :( :(

They beat us twice last year, but I get your point.

Dude, we had a 7-4 game against them last season. It was almost like Pens v Flyers but without the skill. Nash was very deadly that game though...

He's going to be traded or go as a UFA and go to Edmonton

FARRRRR COUGH

There's always money in the banana stand

NO TOUCHING

You'd think no hockey would make us put aside rivalries, but instead we get the biggest rivalry of them all. Confrontation is good for us, clearly. :p

... And I thought my last relationship was poisonous! *rings cowbell furiously*

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
If Americans don't dominate the sport then why hasn't a Canadian team won the Cup since '93?
If Americans dominated the sport, the Leafs would do better....you know....cause we have a lot of American players. But don't let Toews or any other number of Canadians on your team tell you otherwise.

I have a team Canada Toews jersey :(

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/op...eal-in-days-or-its-over-source-185620012.html

Bettman will cancel season next Thursday if no deal done or imminent

Tim Panaccio ‏@tpanotchCSN
not to spoil anything, but Bill Daly told me he does not have very high expectations going into today's meetings after yesterday.

Good. One way or the other, I want this done.

I think this is the league's counter to the PA's, "Well, we need a deal soon or we'll dissolve as a union."

Edit:

The governor said owners and league personnel believe Fehr is trying to blow up the process and is no longer interested in making a deal.

I've believed this from the very beginning.

Cake Boss

Banned
That picture looks weird.

These assholes are a good day of negotiating away from a deal but would rather take it to next week where there is a small possibility they may or may not get what they want while the gains they would have made would be no where close they could get if they got a deal early and played the extra games.

What's funny is that both sides care desperately how they will perceived after this deal is done, however if one side acquiesced they would be seen in a more favorable light as the other side who was proclaimed the "winner".

Top Bottom