• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Pierre Mcguire just said both sides will meet in NY tonight

I get that, but pretending to have any idea what will actually go down once it goes to court is kind of silly imo.

Yeah, he's not presenting the whole case. The reason all these unions say they will decertify isn't because it's just a negotiating tactic. It's because they're negotiating with a monopoly.

Honest question 2: Did Fehr ever threaten decertification with the MLB? There it would make less sense because they have a statutory antitrust exemption.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Yeah, he's not presenting the whole case. The reason all these unions say they will decertify isn't because it's just a negotiating tactic. It's because they're negotiating with a monopoly.

Honest question: Did Fehr ever threaten decertification with the MLB? There it would make less sense because they have a statutory antitrust exemption.

MLB is essentially what NHL would look like with decertification

MLB is essentially what NHL would look like with decertification

Because, say it with me: IT. IS. A. MONOPOLY!

Seriously, I'm ok with it in this instance, a monopoly makes for a more consistent and interesting competitive sports league, but that comes with certain caveats when it comes to dictating costs.

DopeyFish

Because, say it with me: IT. IS. A. MONOPOLY!

Seriously, I'm ok with it in this instance, a monopoly makes for a more consistent and interesting competitive sports league, but that comes with certain caveats when it comes to dictating costs.

It's not a monopoly, though.

If NHLPA members didn't have contracts, they would all be going for KHL, SEL, etc

There are other pro hockey leagues out there

They can play in the KHL or in Europe, not a monopoly.

You mean the leagues that the NHL has non-compete agreements with?

The NHL engages in quite a few practices that would be immediately prosecuted in other industries.

Also, it can be a North American monopoly. A monopoly can exist within one market even if other markets have products that would be competitors if they were there.

DopeyFish

You mean the leagues that the NHL has non-compete agreements with?

The NHL engages in quite a few practices that would be immediately prosecuted in other industries.

Also, it can be a North American monopoly. A monopoly can exist within one market even if other markets have products that would be competitors if they were there.

NHL doesn't have a non-compete with the KHL or SEL. They have transfer agreements arranged through the IIHF

You can't argue North American monopoly as A) AHL is another pro league B) NHL is a global entity

And this isn't another industry.

NHL doesn't have a non-compete with the KHL or SEL. They have transfer agreements arranged through the IIHF

You can't argue North American monopoly as A) AHL is another pro league B) NHL is a global entity

And this isn't another industry.

The other pro leagues serve as feeder leagues into the NHL! They're not in the same market. They're in the market for amateur level hockey.

And you're right this isn't other industries, but there IS a reason that the MLB has a statutory antitrust exemption, because enough people looked at it and thought it WAS a monopoly. You're arguing as if your position is some foregone conclusion, but that's complete bullshit. Antitrust as a field is incredibly vague and in the NBA case in a unfavorable jurisdiction a federal appellate judge disagreed with you so you might want to back off on you confidence in this regard. I'm not claiming it's an open and shut case, what I'm saying is that decertification to file what is a completely legitimate legal issue that needs to be resolved is a rational course of action, and that's exactly why every major sports league is so scared of that happening (MLB excluded of course).

RealKyper (Nick Kypreos)
Believed #NHLPA has already received 75% needed votes to file disclaimer to #NHL once again. As of now, no internal date has been set.

Alucard

Banned
It's still amazing to me how private negotiations in a billion-dollar sport become so incredibly public. For what? Public sympathy?

Marvie_3

Banned
I want a one game season.

Don't even play a game. Just one huge shootout. 20 rounds. Every player for every team shoots once. The 16 teams that score the most goals get in the playoffs. Stanley Cup is awarded by an air hockey tournament played by the mascot of each team.

Marvie_3

Banned
So then you're you're saying the Thursday deadline is 100% absolute?
There may be a couple days of last minute negotiations like there was in 2005, but I have no reason to doubt that the season isn't in jeopardy next week.

There's no point in having a season that is the same length as the playoffs and you also can't have a 48-50 game schedule with full playoffs starting in March. At that point you're fucking up all the offseason things as well as cutting down a good chunk of the time off between seasons.

Socreges

Banned
There may be a couple days of last minute negotiations like there was in 2005, but I have no reason to doubt that the season isn't in jeopardy next week.

There's no point in having a season that is the same length as the playoffs and you also can't have a 48-50 game schedule with full playoffs starting in March. At that point you're fucking up all the offseason things as well as cutting down a good chunk of the time off between seasons.
I agree with everything you just said. But no one seems willing to say that they believe that the Thursday deadline is as final and absolute as we're being told. Because we all know that the NHL will be willing to compromise (to a point, obviously).

Fei

$800k minimum. :lol

I guess the players needed something to "trade" for other areas of improvement, so they made one up.

Marvie_3

Banned
I agree with everything you just said. But no one seems willing to say that they believe that the Thursday deadline is as final and absolute as we're being told. Because we all know that the NHL will be willing to compromise (to a point, obviously).
I don't think anyone really believes Thursday is the ABSOLUTE deadline, but more that the Thursday deadline breaks down to "we get it done in this chunk of negotiations or not at all".

If nothing happens by the end of the weekend, it wouldn't surprise me to see the season gone.

That's what happened in 2005. Bettman set a deadline, proposals went back and forth, deadline passed, more proposals went back and forth, after a couple days and no progress, the season was cancelled.

Heretic

When Bettman says that the offer is off the table he means that the package deal that they are offering is off the table. Not that they're never offering that item again. That one deal can be a part of another package deal. He's made it pretty obvious.

Don't even play a game. Just one huge shootout. 20 rounds. Every player for every team shoots once. The 16 teams that score the most goals get in the playoffs. Stanley Cup is awarded by an air hockey tournament played by the mascot of each team.
If this doesn't happen it should be a video game format in NHL 14

Socreges

Banned
I don't think anyone really believes Thursday is the ABSOLUTE deadline, but more that the Thursday deadline breaks down to "we get it done in this chunk of negotiations or not at all".

If nothing happens by the end of the weekend, it wouldn't surprise me to see the season gone.

That's what happened in 2005. Bettman set a deadline, proposals went back and forth, deadline passed, more proposals went back and forth, after a couple days and no progress, the season was cancelled.
Agreed. So I do think Bieksa's reply was accurate, though he was definitely under stating the importance of this particular deadline.

Marvie_3

Banned
Agreed. So I do think Bieksa's reply was accurate, though he was definitely under stating the importance of this particular deadline.
iRtIwtBS2QjTz.gif

Fehr fucking shit up AGAIN. I hope he's dead by next CBA.

You know what that number is?

That's the number of episodes of Grey's Anatomy my pregnant wife has streamed onto our TV since the lockout started.

One hundred and seventy fucking two. Episodes. Of Grey's Anatomy.

If you, or someone you know has been affected in a similar way, please, donate now to the lockout. Call the toll-free number below to prevent this tragedy from happening to someone else.

1-800-CRY-MOAR

I... Wow... There are that many episodes? Wow.

Shhhhh, everyone says Calgary has no prospects.

They didn't say that, they simply said "Calgary has no prospects that are dateless to their high school proms next week"

Top Bottom