• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Marvie_3

Banned
So what would you do ? Split the NHL up like AT&T ?
With no cap you might as regress into an 8 team league as only those teams could even remotely compete financially. The rest would fold.
And lots of players would lose jobs.
Salary cap has been good for most of the players.

Hell yes he would! Then the NHL would have competition and not be a monopoly!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Hell yes he would! Then the NHL would have competition and not be a monopoly!

Fun fact: KHL salary cap indicates maximum potential salary is greater than 50% of NHL maximum potential salary

If the planned KHL expansion goes through and maintains same salary cap... There's a good chance KHL will be giving more to the players than NHL (at current figures about $700 million more)

If that expansion goes through... NHL will likely become a North American only league

Not competing my ass

Marvie_3

Banned
Fun fact: KHL salary cap indicates maximum potential salary is greater than 50% of NHL maximum potential salary

If the planned KHL expansion goes through and maintains same salary cap... There's a good chance KHL will be giving more to the players than NHL (at current figures about $700 million more)

If that expansion goes through... NHL will likely become a North American only league

Not competing my ass

Stop spoiling bruce's fun.

DopeyFish

So we're still in the third with 5 min to go...whole we don't pull a Patrick Stefan.

Annnnd Nope steals and they ice it! At least I thought they were gonna! Hope steals! Hope is loose! Hoppppppeee scooorrrreesss

Cannnn you.... believvvvee... whatttt weeee.... just sawww?

I need less coffee

Today: Hiller is in his prime. I lay blood and money down on the fact that given his charity game performances, as well as historic evidence, he would've been up for a Vezina nomination this season.

Tomorrow: Viktor Fasht provides soluable backup solutions with the achievements (SEL MVP 2011) to back them up.

Next week: John Gibson riding the pine for a post-prime Hiller after an AHL stint.

The week after that: John Gibson, Anaheim Ducks starting goaltender 2015/16/17.

You want to throw mud at goaltenders that were highly touted but have so far failed to perform up to their immediately high expectations? Subban is over there.

John Gibson is a SECOND ROUND PICK from 2011. He's a steal at best, and a mediocre AHL goaltender at worst.

Well good news for you, Mrazek from last years crazy WJC performance is tearing up the AHL for the Griffins right now, so it is only fair to assume Gibson will do the same soon. :D

DopeyFish

@adater
Two top hockey industry sources: things positive again in talks. "Things are moving again" said one

@Real_ESPNLeBrun
Mediator has left NHL office, now headed back to NHLPA hotel. And yes, I'm sorry for the play by play.

DopeyFish

NHL and NHLPA (with mediator) having a small meeting in 20 minutes

Now they are back to face to face negotiations

Wonder how long until large meeting takes place

Bettman and Daly have arrived at NHLPA hotel

Marvie_3

Banned
NHL and NHLPA (with mediator) having a small meeting in 20 minutes

Now they are back to face to face negotiations

Wonder how long until large meeting takes place

Bettman and Daly have arrived at NHLPA hotel

If dstrdl shows up next you know an orgy is going down.

MacAttack

Sleeping Dogs is $4.49 on Steam right now. Don't know if that's a pricing mistake but its 91% off.

edit: pricing has been fixed. deal over.

DopeyFish

@DarrenDreger: Well, if its a close as we're sensing it could be a very "good day" according to source.

@DarrenDreger: PA hotel is buzzing in anticipation. Down to minimal issues...but, still not done. And definition of "minimal" may differ.

Marvie_3

Banned
@DarrenDreger: Well, if its a close as we're sensing it could be a very "good day" according to source.

@DarrenDreger: PA hotel is buzzing in anticipation. Down to minimal issues...but, still not done. And definition of "minimal" may differ.
Just like the definition of HRR.....

Merguson

Banned

Disclaimer of interest deadline looms.

Everyone called it a good day.

Deadline passes.

A horrible and wasted day by sources.

Deadline for voting ends at 6pm today. After that, they can file.

Apparently could be a very good day?

Not bad for an empty threat.

DopeyFish

Chris Botta ‏@ChrisBottaNHL

NHL deal edging closer. Hurdles left that will need some time, but you can plan on the season starting in 2 weeks.

And to drown hopes

@DarrenDreger: Issues still include cap in 13\14, max contract and variance. So, "minimal" may not be best word unless significant movement from both.

Merguson

Banned
Well. I'm going to the Marlies game at 3pm..

So hopefully this turns out to be a productive day for the CBA bargaining process.

Alucard

Banned
HOPEUIM OVERLOAD ON TWITTER!!!!

CAN YOU DIG IT MOTHERFUCKAS!!???

ceaser_nope.gif

ZeroGravity

This deal will likely solve none of the NHL's problems and we'll be back at the same place in 8-10 years, so just get it done already and give us hockey back.

Source "tentative deal could be done within 24 hrs or #NHLPA could serve #NHL notice to disclaim early as 2day. Present meeting is huge.

Sleeping Dogs for $4.49 and now a CBA deal within 24 hours? What is this madness?

DopeyFish

And here's the wtfareyouguysdoingcalmthefuckdowntweet

Renauld:
Are we going to far by saying a deal is close ? Yes I've been told. So before we start the celebration, lots of work to be done here.

I think he's jabbing at the nhl and not the nhlpa

Though that's left to interpretation

I dunno, he's one of the few Blues players I didn't mind following on twitter through all this shit. He doesn't whine or cry victim or spew the anti-Bettman/NHL kind of tweets that we've all come to love (fucking Perron). He usually RTs support for arena workers and fans in general without making an argument for the NHLPA or against the NHL.

“I don’t know why it’s taking so long,” McDonald said. “I guess it’s a leverage point on both sides, and you want to wait to the end to find out whatever that last proposal is. It’s a scary proposition and it should have been avoided.”

Isn't supporting the league, but doesn't exactly paint a pretty picture of how he views the Fehrs' negotiation tactics either.

@SNHockeyCentral

Legal expert: #NHLPA's strategy could backfire http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-...l_nhlpa_disclaimer_of_interest_antitrust_law/ …
Retweeted by Andy McDonald

RTs like that aren't uncommon either.

Dreger and Walsh getting into it again:

Allan Walsh ‏@walsha
Interesting how the same NHL people who've been leaking to the media that Don Fehr doesn't want a deal are now leaking that a deal is close.
Details

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
@walsha. How do you know the "leaks" are from NHL people. Stick to what you know. Leave the reporting to us.

Allan Walsh ‏@walsha
How do you know I was referring to you? Oops, busted! @DarrenDreger

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
@walsha. Oooh, got me. Most who read tweet, some less educated than you, see I was speaking for reporters covering story. Pay attention.

CCF23

Dreger said both sides have given a bit on their cap stance. NHL was at 60 mil, the PA at 65. Here's an idea...62.5 million!

I'm a god damn genius, i know!

But I haven't heard anything about pension, so it seems that has been put to bed. If both sides have moved on the cap (NHL from 60 and players from 65) then they're likely within a million or two of each other there.

Dreger said both sides have given a bit on their cap stance. NHL was at 60 mil, the PA at 65. Here's an idea...62.5 million!

I'm a god damn genius, i know!

But I haven't heard anything about pension, so it seems that has been put to bed. If both sides have moved on the cap (NHL from 60 and players from 65) then they're likely within a million or two of each other there.

Just saw this:

@JSportsnet

Told the pension issue was resolved a while ago. For all you Actuaries....it will be a Defined Benefits pension, funded by the players.

DopeyFish

Thank goodness it's player funded

Didn't need that potential time bomb going off

So this leaves issues at

Cap for 2013/14 (minor issue)
Contract length (major issue)
Variance (minor but somewhat major issue)
CBA term (no brainer)

Should be a cakewalk at this point I think

Both sides should just give a little. NHL give on variance and cap, NHLPA on the lengths

Nick Cotsonika ‏@cotsonika
Seems to be more optimism on the NHL side than the PA side, which is interesting. It has been PA saying they're close, NHL saying not.

DopeyFish

NHL and NHLPA have broken off and are both having internal discussions

"some NHL Board of Guvs have been told that progress has been made but there is a ways to go"

Well fuck

CCF23

I'm guessing the NHL is pushing hard for a deal before 6PM when the PA gets their disclaimer leverage back. If we pass 6PM and the tone doesn't change for the negative, it's a good sign.

CCF23

John Shannon says he feels like it'll take probably 3 more days or so still. Says Steve Fehr told him in November that even when they get very close, it'll take 3 days or so to finish it off.

Hopefully they reach a tentative deal before then and announce it so we can end this shit.

DopeyFish

@RobRossi_Trib

"Player just laughed when I asked about deal being close. 'Maybe they think so, not yet from us.' He was in contact with #nhlpa this AM

@NYP_Brooksie

Told that league has indicated willingness to come off $60 for next year, maybe $63-64, but in return for what, I don't know...

Cake Boss

Banned
Yeah but Fehr told us they were so close in December, how could a month or has passed and a bunch of proposals exchanged and they somehow get farther then they were in December?
EH EH EH? CUNTY ASS UNION.

DAT FEHRNESS

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one who doesn't believe the majority of the reporters on Twitter and their "sources"? This includes the big name guys too.

Top Bottom