• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lockout/2012/09/30/krys_barch_twitter_rant_nhl_lockout/

Someone take his alcohol or his twitter account away

Life is so tough making 750k a season

So basically he's outing 1/2 to 3/4 of the players as absolute morons who were given far more money than at least 90% of Americans will ever see and yet were dumb enough to overspend and not prepare for the future.

Every time one of these guys opens their mouths my support for the owners in this solidifies even more.

Alucard

Banned
Seriously, I have no sympathy for guys who even "only" made 2-3 million in 4-5 seasons and weren't able to stick around for longer after that. Put that shit in a high interest savings and never worry for the rest of your life.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lockout/2012/09/30/krys_barch_twitter_rant_nhl_lockout/

What a fucking moron. Does he even know how much money truck drivers and farmers make a year? I cant believe he compared being a hockey player to having a job like that. Fehr has done a great job making these idiots believe his lies. I am really starting to wonder if a multi year lockout is possible.

Cake Boss

Banned
That was pretty articulate for a 4th liner who got punched in the head multiple times.

But yeah I don't know you piss away all that money in that time frame, give me that money and the only luxury I will spend it on is a new GTR, and I will basically live and spend as a middle class citizen with few extra spendings here there.

Osorio

Got so Cake Boss'd last night, was contemplating sleeping in the bus station.

Took a taxi instead....

I got so cakebossed I was passing out in the middle of a busy street in Brooklyn, ended up getting drawn on by some artist from Reno. Woke up in a stranger's house.

How I'm not in the drunk tank I have no idea. Life is twerking for me.

Quick

Banned
I really wish Bettman would make his own statement on the comments from some of these players. A formal "shut the fuck up."

And the NHLPA needs to wrangle these guys together and tell them to ease up on the public comments against the owners.

I really hate the victim card these players are pulling, to say the least.

Come on guys. He's just trying just trying to get ahead in life for his family. The man is at the bottom of the tier in earnings... for the top 1% of the country...

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
That is why CFL players are the best. Most of the them make fuck all and usually have a second job in the off season. They put there bodies on the line as well.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Plekanec has 13 points in 5 games, and him, Tlusty and Jagr have a combined 40 points in 5 games. I'm thinking I should go play in the Czech league.

Socreges

Banned
So that makes their position in negotiations inherently incorrect because they're saying stupid things on Twitter? Tell me more.
I don't think you get it. No one's saying that they therefore want the players to take a deeper cut. We're talking about neutrality in terms of feelings. While the owners are just as selfish, they're not pretending that this is about anything other than money or that their lifestyle would be ruined otherwise. We're tired of hearing the players complain and engage in these stupid propaganda campaigns.

CREMSteve

WTF

He makes 750K per season. He's been playing for 5 years. Doing some quick and dirty math, even with taxes being factored in, he and his family could live off of the interest alone of what he's made, if they've been smart about saving.

Then again, smart doesn't seem to be this guy's strong suit.

I swear the players are coming off as total idiots in this lockout.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So that makes their position in negotiations inherently incorrect because they're saying stupid things on Twitter? Tell me more.

Does it make them incorrect? Not really.

Does it make them VERY hard to agree with? Absolutely, as others have stated already.

I'm sorry--defend them all you want. But when I see a guy who made more money in one year than I'll make in almost 20 years as a teacher complain about how he and others will have to work to normal retirement age AND act as if his family is destitute, I laugh heartily and and lose total respect for the guy.

Solo

That is why CFL players are the best. Most of the them make fuck all and usually have a second job in the off season. They put there bodies on the line as well.

One of my oldest friends in the world played in the CFL, won a Grey Cup a few years back, and now is "retired" (fancy terminology for what happens when a guy who was always on a one year contract is finally replaced by someone younger and cheaper) works on oil rigs in Fort Mac. Yeah, those players are actually human beings.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
One of my oldest friends in the world played in the CFL, won a Grey Cup a few years back, and now is "retired" (fancy terminology for what happens when a guy who was always on a one year contract is finally replaced by someone younger and cheaper) works on oil rigs in Fort Mac. Yeah, those players are actually human beings.

Probably makes more money in Fort Mac as long as he doesn't blow it on drugs and strippers, lol.

Tawpgun

Right in the feels

401373_537394762943530_2068441688_n.jpg

Alucard

Banned
Yeah, I totally spend 200'000 dollars on groceries, too.

They likely spend much more on eating out, clothes, consumer goods, and travel than us regular folk, but yeah, I have no sympathy for millionaires complaining about not making enough to feed their families.

As someone mentioned, I won't make $1 million in 20 years, and I'm still able to save for the future while enjoying a moderately comfortable lifestyle. Can a buy a car outright for cash? Not really. A home? Nope. But I can more than survive. These guys just have a misconstrued perspective of reality since a lot of them become millionaires overnight in their early-to-mid twenties.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
These guys just have a misconstrued perspective of reality since a lot of them become millionaires overnight in their early-to-mid twenties.

i think just scared because all they've known their entire life is hockey and are very uncertain on how to make money after its over in order to maintain the same standard of living their families have become accustomed to.

Socreges

Banned
i think just scared because all they've known their entire life is hockey and are very uncertain on how to make money after its over in order to maintain the same standard of living their families have become accustomed to.
Yep. I can't imagine it's easy or possible to budget and be cautious while everyone around you is spending like crazy. What surprises me is that they don't seem to even realize that they're no longer on the same level as the rest of us. They take their new lifestyle for granted and are concerned that they won't be able to maintain it.

Solo

Athletes are fucking morons, especially with finances. Shit has always been, shit will always be. See: the scores of former pro athletes who made millions over their careers and had NOTHING within 10-15 years of retirement. Most of the dumbasses keep living the way they did when they were paid players when they retire, despite the lack of income. Then you've got the leeches sucking you dry too.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Athletes are fucking morons, especially with finances. Shit has always been, shit will always be. See: the scores of former pro athletes who made millions over their careers and had NOTHING within 10-15 years of retirement. Most of the dumbasses keep living the way they did when they were paid players when they retire, despite the lack of income. Then you've got the leeches sucking you dry too.

10-15? shit, those are the smart ones. http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sports/Vince-Young-Broke-Out-of-NFL-170334706.html

Socreges

Banned
Whereas Solo would live in a one-bedroom apartment and continue driving his '94 Fiat, eating home-cooked meals each night while scoffing as his peers drown in luxury and excess.

Solo

Whereas Solo would live in a one-bedroom apartment and continue driving his '94 Fiat, eating home-cooked meals each night while scoffing as his peers drown in luxury and excess.

Hahah no, but come the fuck on, have some fucking sense, players! If I was set to make $5M a year, I'd be instantly investing at least $1M of that annually. Grow that fucking shit. Don't go all hookers and blow.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Hahah no, but come the fuck on, have some fucking sense, players! If I was set to make $5M a year, I'd be instantly investing at least $1M of that annually. Grow that fucking shit. Don't go all hookers and blow.

Agreed, space that shit out.

Hookers once every quarter and blow maybe twice a year or three times if something really special happens that year.

Socreges

Banned
I agree. You just so rarely leave yourself vulnerable.

Alucard

Banned
If you just left a million in a savings account and used that for your bills, food, etc. I really don't see how you'd go broke. You'd still have the other millions to party it up and such.

Blah. I just don't get the problems of millionaires. Didn't their parents teach them how to budget? Don't they have enough sense to hire a fucking FINANCIAL PLANNER early on in their careers?

Solo

The problem in a lot of cases is that the parents are EVEN MORE money hungry than the kids. So you've got 19 year kids who've never worked a day in their lives, never had money or responsibility, suddenly come into millions of dollars and be surrounded by a bunch of vultures and a fast paced lifestyle, and no common sense or life experience to let them realize its not a sustainable lifestyle.

Marvie_3

Banned
No point in having millions of dollars then.

Top Bottom