• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

ATF487

KingHenrik30 said:
I'll def be going up to Albany to see the Whale when they are in town. Always a shit show up there, cheap tickets, cheap booze and sit wherever you want.

Also working on planning a trip to CT to see the Whale live depending on how long the lockout lasts.

Are you from NYC? Hartford is closer than Albany...

ATF487

Are we watching the same Page? Its like $180 to follow 1 team all season.

150 according to the website, but that's still a lot of money to only be able to watch one team. Sort of eliminates the fun of subscribing to a service like that, too; I like watching lots of good out of market games

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I've seen it with my own eyes in the GM connected trailer. Behind the bench coaching, but for the life of me I can't fucking figure out how to do it.

say what? No, it's not behind the bench. It's like the Be a GM offline mode, just online.

belvedere

Junior Butler

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
They show a behind the bench perspective in the GM Connected trailer with what looks like the strategy/management interface UI on screen. I'm sure it's EA lies and wizardry, but the UI being shown from that view makes me think maybe it actually exists in some capacity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=osjkyxZeVDg#t=49s

ah, yeah, that exists I think, but... no, that's not the main feature of that thing. The main feature is that it's Be a GM in online, with trades between humans and entry drafts and free agency and shit. It's glorious.

Quick

Banned
http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=406548

I'm liking what I'm reading about Leo Komarov (Leafs prospect). He has the opportunity to make huge bank in Russia, and actually stayed behind an extra year to win the KHL championship last season, but ended up moving to Toronto to play in the NHL this season instead. He's with the Marlies due to the lockout, but I like his mindset:

"It's maybe that whole thing about I want to try and see if I can make it," Komarov explained. "If not, then I'm going to live with it. But if I [stayed] in [the] KHL, yeah it's good money, it's nice to be there, but then when I'm 40, [my kids] are going to ask me 'Why didn't you play in the NHL?'"

The lockout is stalling his chase at the moment, so for now Komarov will line up as a pesky agitator for the Marlies. He'll have to wait to grapple with the NHL, but 15 years down the line when he's approaching 40, he can at least tell his kids he took a shot.

"And now they can ask if I didn't make it, I'm going to tell them 'I didn't make it' and if I make it they're not going to ask why didn't you play over there. That's the point."

Respect.

Vesa Toskala has officially retired.

When will the Leafs be retiring his number?

One of the Leafs' greats. Sad 2 c him go. =(

q67WN.gif

Damn, the Checkers spend all of October on the road. The same week they have their home opener we need to be in Charleston for a hockey tourney and then the following weekend in Pittsburgh.

Maybe we can scoot down there for a game the weekend before T-giving.

By then fucking Bettman will have cancelled half the NHL season, the douchebag.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
ESPN bought rights to show some KHL games on ESPN3.

October 3 "Dynamo" (Moscow) vs. "Ak Bars"
October 6 - Lev vs. SKA
October 7 - "Slovan" vs. "Dynamo" (Moscow)
October 8 - CSKA Moscow vs. SKA
October 9 - Lev vs. " Dynamo "(Moscow)

ESPN bought rights to show some KHL games on ESPN3.

October 3 "Dynamo" (Moscow) vs. "Ak Bars"
October 6 - Lev vs. SKA
October 7 - "Slovan" vs. "Dynamo" (Moscow)
October 8 - CSKA Moscow vs. SKA
October 9 - Lev vs. " Dynamo "(Moscow)

Well... I know what I'm doing tomorrow night.

EDIT: Wait... these are going to be on during the day aren't they.... DAMNIT!

So there's talk the NHL wants to bring in replacement players in November if things don't get settled by then ? It comes from Bill Watters so I don't even think this is very legit but can they even do that ? It's not a strike, players technically want to play.

Would anyone here even watch scabs play in the NHL ?

Marvie_3

Banned
So there's talk the NHL wants to bring in replacement players in November if things don't get settled by then ? It comes from Bill Watters so I don't even think this is very legit but can they even do that ? It's not a strike, players technically want to play.

Would anyone here even watch scabs play in the NHL
?

In a heartbeat.

The legal mess would be too much.

That said they should have open PTOs.

Eh, I'd WATCH in the same way I watch AHL, college, or Euro hockey from time to time. There's no way I'd really care all that much and while I'd cheer for the Flyers, I wouldn't have any strong preference for them over other teams.

And yeah... there would be a legal mess. Manageable, but a mess.

You have to think the NHL is going to seriously reconsider bringing in replacement players right after the recent NFL ref fiasco though.

That said, it's still Bettman. It will be hysterical to watch when it blows up in his face and everyone is going, "You watched the EXACT same thing happen less than a month earlier. How the hell did you not see this coming?"

OMG that would be so awesome. Flyers could get Bryz to wear a wig and give him a fake name. He would be
one of
the best replacement goalie in the league.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/10/nhl-landscape-littered-with-landmines.html

If you have any doubt what a stalemate the NHL lockout has become, consider this: talks took a step backward last weekend because the league and the NHL Players' Association could not agree on who should pay for a) an extra trainer on the road and b) for each player to have his own hotel room.

Players felt teams should pay for both, especially since an extra trainer is a safety issue. Apparently, some teams only travel with one. As for single rooms, well, they've been fighting for that since Matt Stajan made Joe Nieuwendyk watch The Fifth Wheel. Right now, you can be solitary if you've played 600 NHL games.

The league, of course, feels otherwise, that these are added costs and should come out of hockey related revenue. There's no consensus and everybody leaves grumbling.

This is rapidly descending into a farce. Can they even agree that 2+2 = 4 at this point ?

ShaneB

For something a little lighter hearted, has anyone else listened to the Jay and Dan Podcast? 2 episodes so far, hilarious stuff as you'd expect from Onrait and O'toole.

Leafs-AGE what do you guys think about Cody Fransson? He just signed for my team here in Sweden and from the looks of it, for me it seems like a great signing. We need a big defensively good defender and one that can play Power Play but at the time we only have space for one in the roster without phasing out a young guy and he seems to fit both descriptions. Apparently he´s not quite at NHL level yet but I think he will do fine in SEL. If we were allowed to sign lockout players I would prefer someone else but we can´t and he seems like good option since he doesn´t have an NHL contract.

I can answer this one! They love him/think he will deliver them to the cup AND want him to die in a horrible accident because he makes everyone on the team worse and is a worthless piece of crap.

It's going to be interesting to watch the reception in Philly to Luke Schenn over the next few years (assuming we have hockey again within a few years) and compare to what happened in TO.

I imagine if there was another young D-man out there you could have gotten for JVR Holmgren would have pulled the trigger.

JVR should have been part of a larger package for a clear impact player. This deal could certainly make Homer look like a genius of L. Schenn pans out, so I'm not REALLY annoyed, but JVR was part of a lot of bigger rumors for a long time. Combine that with the crap he got for Bob and it just looks like he missed opportunities. He also really constrained himself by creating a situation where no one is readily shoppable. Most of the guys left are long term or clear blue chips that we want to keep around.

Petrovic is such a beast. WHL dman of the year, most points for a d-man for Rampage in the Calder playoffs, and now is set to be 1st pairing on the Rampage.

Top Bottom