• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

I think the biggest issue here, is that the players are dumb. That's why they hired Fehr, that's why they believe everything that comes flying out of his ass. The owners are greedy, but they at least seem to realize that hockey just isn't as big as the MLB or NFL, so they want to grab a bigger piece of the pie to compensate for a smaller pie.

The players on the other hand, seem to think they should be paid like MLB stars, and Fehr is just fanning that delusion. Yes, I agree with a salary rollback and a decrease in salary cap because it's climbed too fast. When Shane Doan is fucking demanding $6 million a season and thinks he deserves it, and likewise with Parise and Suter, then fuck, there is something horribly wrong with how much NHL players think they're worth.

No, it shouldn't, and I agree with that, but when 30 teams, are essentially relying on the financial success of 3 teams, then something is horribly wrong, and the NHLPA really shouldn't be saying that the NHL is doing tremendous right now. Canadian teams are doing tremendous and so are the few major market American teams, the rest are still doing absolutely abysmal in terms of revenue.

Some teams ARE very good at controlling salary though, the Canucks are probably one of the best in those remarks, and that's why they're one of the teams suffering most right now. Most of our players accepted reasonable salaries, and now they're being screwed because of the ones who demanded to be paid kings ransoms and are crying foul because the league thinks they're overpaid.

It doesn't, but the trend should still follow. Look at Phoenix, they had a big playoff push last season and they still barely made any money. Also, playoff revenue isn't guaranteed money, since its not guaranteed that a team will make it in and stay in it for a long duration. It's too all over the place to really count those numbers. Every team plays the same number of regular season game and it's much more accurate and easier to judge their revenues and profits based on that.

I didn't realize you were such an accomplished economist who could adequately gauge the market value of a hockey player. Personally I'd say if the owners are paying it, then you probably have a good indication of what the market value is. The CBA DEPRESSES salaries artificially. No economist ever is going to say the monopoly that the NHL has is artificially inflating player salaries. This whole moral argument of "players make too much" is bullshit and has no basis in any rational analysis.

I didn't realize you were such an accomplished economist who could adequately gauge the market value of a hockey player. Personally I'd say if the owners are paying it, then you probably have a good indication of what the market value is. The CBA DEPRESSES salaries artificially. No economist ever is going to say the monopoly that the NHL has is artificially inflating player salaries. This whole moral argument of "players make too much" is bullshit and has no basis in any rational analysis.

The average player salary has been going up even with the cap. Yes they artificially limit all salaries to 57% but they'd go up even more with a competitive NA league, no cap linkage etc. Players were getting like 75% before the last lockout.

Heretic

I think the biggest argument isn't that they make too much, it's that they make enough to get by (Edit: should have worded this better). This drop in percentage to HRR shouldn't hinder their lifestyle. Make a dent? Sure.

My biggest issue with both sides are:
Owners promised said salary and now they want to take it back.
Players not willing to take a paycut to play the game that they love.

So yeah...

gcubed

I think the biggest argument isn't that they make too much, it's that they make enough to get by (Edit: should have worded this better). This drop in percentage to HRR shouldn't hinder their lifestyle. Make a dent? Sure.

My biggest issue with both sides are:
Owners promised said salary and now they want to take it back.
Players not willing to take a paycut to play the game that they love.

So yeah...

Replace they = players with they = owners and its the same thing. They took a pay cut already. If they have to take another one its a league problem, not a player problem. If you need to cut players salaries every 8 years your business is fucked up

Edit.. watching the espn2 broadcast of the khl game. Wow the commentary is horrific, wish they had a muted feed

ShaneB

I just want the players to shut the fuck up about complaining. I'd hope they realize that blue collar average joe fan doesn't give a fuck about them not making millions of dollars during a lockout.

Marvie_3

Banned

Only for some players. On the other hand, free agency and the cap floor both lead to some players getting paid more than what they're worth.

fallout

Saw this on redditt ... HALF-TIME!

7DdEq.png

Alucard

Banned
Just don't listen to or watch any of the lockout coverage. The more we show we care, the more the players and owners know that people will just come back as if nothing happened once this is all over. The best thing to do at this time is to turn our backs. There is more to life than hockey, and just because some Canadian networks make it seem like it's the end of the world doesn't mean it is.

I thought I'd be more affected, but I honestly don't care. In the end, this still comes down to a bunch of spoiled rich men complaining about who should get a bigger piece of the giant money pie that the majority of people will never be able to touch.

Fuck them. Fuck them up their stupid, spoiled, delusional and greedy asses.

Only for some players. On the other hand, free agency and the cap floor both lead to some players getting paid more than what they're worth.

It has an overall depressing effect. Players who get paid to the floor are likely getting paid much closer to their value because you're talking about smaller numbers. Overall players as a class LOSE money due to the CBA, salary cap, gov't sanctioned monopoly, etc.

EDIT: As was said earlier, we've SEEN what a real competitive market for talent looks like and it accounts for a MUCH higher percentage of revenue. In any other industry what the owners are doing would be a blatant antitrust violation.

Montresor

Same. Fuck the NHL. I'm loving have time to do other shit instead of watching 80+ NHL games.

Exactly. Following your team takes a huge time commitment. A little part of me is glad that I'm going to be able to play more video games, watch more TV shows, and in general have more time for work/school.

But Saturday nights with HNIC will be missed. =(

I've made it to the first interview stage. The hirer wants to do a background chat with me.

Oh god oh god oh god.

Good luck Spectre!

ShaneB

Exactly. Following your team takes a huge time commitment. A little part of me is glad that I'm going to be able to play more video games, watch more TV shows, and in general have more time for work/school.

But Saturday nights with HNIC will be missed. =(

This is when I'm glad I don't follow a specific team throughout the season. I don't have any regular season dedication per se, other than watching hockey here and there throughout the week. It's not a big deal if I go a while where my focus is on something else. But come playoff time, I love to watch as much as I can.

That being said though, I sure as hell will soon start to miss hockey highlights and hockey talk/analysis besides cba talk. Sportsnet will be showing AHL games now, and their CHL friday night hockey will be starting this friday, so it's not completely barren.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Same. Fuck the NHL. I'm loving have time to do other shit instead of watching 80+ NHL games.

For real man. I'm still watching other sports but following the Leafs definitely took a big chunk out of my days compared to these other teams I follow.

So this is going to sound stupid... but there's really not much else at this point.

I have a friend. He's hardly a hockey journalist, but he HAS covered one or two things from time to time and is an acquaintance of a few real journalists. He claims the lockout could be over by this weekend.

Cue @Manicsfromgaf jokes.... It would be cool if he was right though....

Socreges

Banned
So this is going to sound stupid... but there's really not much else at this point.

I have a friend. He's hardly a hockey journalist, but he HAS covered one or two things from time to time and is an acquaintance of a few real journalists. He claims the lockout could be over by this weekend.

lol brucey

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

So, you have a friend who's friends with a few real journalists who might or might not know someone who themselves might or might not know something about the lockout?

Seems legit!

Seriously though, I've given up hope.

Acid08

Banned

No. Shut up.

Cake Boss

Banned

ibsW2RpPocH9lF.gif

fallout

brcwngrtzky pls

Revenant

BN2J
BN2J
BN2J
BN2J

lol brucey

So, you have a friend who's friends with a few real journalists who might or might not know someone who themselves might or might not know something about the lockout?

Seems legit!

Seriously though, I've given up hope.

No. Shut up.

brcwngrtzky pls

I take what little hope I can get.

Comcast :'(

Snider you bastard.

Is this the guy who told you there wouldnt be a lockout?

Is this the guy who told you there wouldnt be a lockout?

That was all me based on the numbers and the statements made beforehand. The only reason I'm not flat out laughing at this is because I still think the numbers make sense for a relatively quick compromise.

It's not like I'm claiming this is credible....

QUIT STEALING MY PROPOSAL!!!

I support this one too. See how much bitching we can hear on Twitter when they have to pay for own skates, their own sticks, their own hotel rooms, etc.

Bunch of fucking babies. Most of them are making a shitload of money playing a game and they bitch about having to share a hotel room?

GTFO

fallout

To be fair, they have to agree on the numbers at some point. How long it takes will be a reflection of how fair one side thinks those numbers are and/or waiting it out to see if they can get better numbers. I don't really know how well anyone could predict how long that will take when they're barely even talking.

Quick

Banned

Twitter.com/brucewaynegretzkyfromgaf

Top Bottom