• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Revenant

This is especially true in Ovechkin's case, being that his global star status is directly attributable to the National Hockey League. Otherwise, he's Sergei Mozyakin. Who? The KHL's all-time leading goal scorer. Exactly: Who?

perfect. Yes Ovie take your ball and go home, clearly the NHL has treated you so poorly you should probably head home, tail between legs. enjoy playing in an irrelevant league where Alexander fucking Radulov is a fucking captain.

perfect. Yes Ovie take your ball and go home, clearly the NHL has treated you so poorly you should probably head home, tail between legs. enjoy playing in an irrelevant league where Alexander fucking Radulov is a fucking captain.

Ovie's IQ conveniently matches the number on his Capitals jersey, I'm sure the IIHF will stop you from playing anywhere including Sochi if you bail on your NHL contract.

Heretic

What if the player "retires" then comes back to play for the KHL. Would that work?

And I agree with Solo. Just cancel the damn season. This is just as bad as waiting for Justin Piece of Shit Schultz to make his decision.

Question about everyone getting mad at these Russian players: Is it really that crazy for them? A guy like OV may very well have a chance of making more in Russia if the CBA rolls back his salary a noticeable amount. The KHL has shown it is willing to pay for big name talent. Seems to make sense for some of those guys to say they want to stay there.

If they are UFA sure why not. RFA or contracted fuck them. They agreed to terms and want to bail?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Question about everyone getting mad at these Russian players: Is it really that crazy for them? A guy like OV may very well have a chance of making more in Russia if the CBA rolls back his salary a noticeable amount. The KHL has shown it is willing to pay for big name talent. Seems to make sense for some of those guys to say they want to stay there.

Ovie comes to the NHL, becomes a star, earns shitloads of money, signs massive contract, then wants to bail on a contract he signed to play in Russia? That's not just ungrateful, that should be punished.

If they are UFA sure why not. RFA or contracted fuck them. They agreed to terms and want to bail?

Yeah they agreed to a dollar amount they're now being told they won't get.... yet they're the ones violating the contract?

I'm not even going to get into the "efficient breach" stuff where we expect people to breach contracts when it makes sense.

NHL needs to realize it isn't entitled to these players.

I personally want a league that has the best players in the world, but if the league isn't going to pay I'm not about to fault a guy for going to make more money somewhere else. I don't blame Jagr for going to Dallas despite claiming he really liked Philly. That makes perfect sense.

Smiley90

Yeah they agreed to a dollar amount they're now being told they won't get.... yet they're the ones violating the contract?

I'm not even going to get into the "efficient breach" stuff where we expect people to breach contracts when it makes sense.

NHL needs to realize it isn't entitled to these players.

I personally want a league that has the best players in the world, but if the league isn't going to pay I'm not about to fault a guy for going to make more money somewhere else. I don't blame Jagr for going to Dallas despite claiming he really liked Philly. That makes perfect sense.

Players are part of the NHLPA, if they didn't agree with being part of that union and following whatever decisions the union makes, they shouldn't have signed a contract under the union in the first place. You can't sign a contract within the union and then if the union makes a decision you don't like, just bail on the union. That's not how life works.

Players are part of the NHLPA, if they didn't agree with being part of that union and following whatever decisions the union makes, they shouldn't have signed a contract under the union in the first place. You can't sign a contract within the union and then if the union makes a decision you don't like, just bail on the union. That's not how life works.

Um, they signed deals with the teams under the assumption that it couldn't be decreased. NHL is basically asking for retroactive amendments to those deals.

And actually just leaving a job for another is EXACTLY how life works.

Um, they signed deals with the teams under the assumption that it couldn't be decreased. NHL is basically asking for retroactive amendments to those deals.

Due to escrow the players haven't been getting the exact amounts on their contract since the last CBA started after the lockout.

It's wrong but it's not a new concept.

Smiley90

They signed contracts with teams under the umbrella of the NHLPA. If the NHLPA now negotiates a new agreement that might or might not involve salary cuts, players are still under that umbrella. Again, if they didn't agree with being in the NHLPA, they shouldn't have come in the first place.

And if you think you can bail on your contract without repercussions, then have fun not playing in Sochi.

KHL isn't going to violate the transfer pact it has with the NHL.

I heard it's not much of a pact but more of an understanding which they can cancel at anytime.

Although the IIHF would step in if any funny business were to occur.

Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland
#NHL says there are no plans to meet this week...several players would like to before Thursday's "deadline" to play entire 82 game season

More cracks appearing in the union ?

Backstrom looking sexy today.

iBeDd.jpg

CCF23

I heard it's not much of a pact but more of an understanding which they can cancel at anytime.

Although the IIHF would step in if any funny business were to occur.

More cracks appearing in the union ?

...and when we're talking about the biggest Russian star player in the game, they'd likely be awfully tempted to say "fuck the agreement".

Cake Boss

Banned
"@RealKyper: If several players r planning to go 2 NY Wed in effort 2 spark up talks, it news 2 Fehr. #NHL #NHLPA remain in contact but no meetings sched"

LOL Fehr didn't even know about it. Hopefully they do like in 2005 and fire his ass.

Quick

Banned
"@RealKyper: If several players r planning to go 2 NY Wed in effort 2 spark up talks, it news 2 Fehr. #NHL #NHLPA remain in contact but no meetings sched"

LOL Fehr didn't even know about it. Hopefully they do like in 2005 and fire his ass.

Their meager salaries won't hold them for much longer.

fallout

Missing paychecks tend to do that.
A lost season is basically a 100% pay cut for that year of the contract. It's a 25% pay cut if your deal is 4 years. Unless you've got a really long term deal, you're likely going to be losing money as a result of an extended lockout, regardless of its outcome.

Socreges

Banned
That article might as well have been written by Fehr himself. And I'm sure the author is being fed lines by players (used to be one himself).

One question: According to the owners, escrow would work in the same way that it did before. So why the abject reaction suggesting it's some underhanded, deceptive ploy? I must be missing something?

RFA? So if you sign an entry league contract you are morally obligated to not to anything else after it is over? That is just insane. And even contracts that are signed, how valid are they for you morally if the terms you agreed to are changed?

Due to escrow the players haven't been getting the exact amounts on their contract since the last CBA started after the lockout.

It's wrong but it's not a new concept.

Escrow isn´t the problem, using Escrow as a way significantly pay out less money than you agreed to is.

Marvie_3

Banned
A lost season is basically a 100% pay cut for that year of the contract. It's a 25% pay cut if your deal is 4 years. Unless you've got a really long term deal, you're likely going to be losing money as a result of an extended lockout, regardless of its outcome.
Exactly. If the players were smarter, they'd realize this.

That article might as well have been written by Fehr himself. And I'm sure the author is being fed lines by players (used to be one himself).

One question: According to the owners, escrow would work in the same way that it did before. So why the abject reaction suggesting it's some underhanded, deceptive ploy? I must be missing something?

I can't wait til they reference Eklund's articles for PR.

Escrow is designed to ensure that players get their 57% of HRR. Since that number isn't known til the season is over, players give up 5-10% of their salary into escrow with the expectation they get most of it back once the final accounting is done. It's a lot easier to mail refund checks to players rather than chase them all down and have them write a check in case they got overpaid.

If the NHL lowers their %, they'll be giving up a lot more in escrow and they most likely will not be getting it back since they're now entitled to a smaller %. It's a kind of devious way to do a paycut without calling it a pay cut. Of course if league revenues climb they'll give up less over time, it's not a fixed % cut (like an actual rollback would be). The amount they lose would vary year to year, the better the NHL does, the less they give up.

Exactly. If the players were smarter, they'd realize this.
Sometimes you have to go together as a group and try to say no, even though it will hurt you potentially. If they just agreed to the first offer every time, cause they would loose money. There is no reason what so ever for the owners to not constantly try to lower the players percentage every time the percentage is up.

As a union, even though you know that you will have to agree on lower terms it is vital how much lower and that it also costs money for the owners for trying to lower it.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/10/22/nhl-owners-are-not-cheaters-jaromir-jagr-says/

Jagr is currently off the playing roster at his native Kladno because of an injury, but he’s still the owner of the club. His ownership status must have influenced his answer to the site’s question about what he thinks of Alexander Ovechkin’s round condemnation of the league. Ovechkin said the owners were trying to “cheat” the players out of paying their existing contracts.

“Cheating. I don’t know what he meant by the word. When someone owns something and wants to make as much as possible, you can’t call that cheating. You’d have to call a half of the world cheaters. It’s simply business. True, they need us to do the business, but still, they own it. And another thing: hockey is not the main thing for most of the owners. They make their money elsewhere. Unlike us, hockey players. They set the rules, no doubt about that.”

Interesting comments from Jagr since he's a team owner as well so he knows the story.

Compare to David Kerjci:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...gary-bettman-treats-the-players-like-animals/

“We want to play, we’re the ones who are doing the show in the NHL, but Bettman thinks it makes him. It is unfortunate that the NHL have such a guy. It’s a shame for the entire hockey world. Treats us like animals.”

Socreges

Banned
I can't wait til they reference Eklund's articles for PR.

Escrow is designed to ensure that players get their 57% of HRR. Since that number isn't known til the season is over, players give up 5-10% of their salary into escrow with the expectation they get most of it back once the final accounting is done. It's a lot easier to mail refund checks to players rather than chase them all down and have them write a check in case they got overpaid.

If the NHL lowers their %, they'll be giving up a lot more in escrow and they most likely will not be getting it back since they're now entitled to a smaller %. It's a kind of devious way to do a paycut without calling it a pay cut. Of course if league revenues climb they'll give up less over time, it's not a fixed % cut (like an actual rollback would be). The amount they lose would vary year to year, the better the NHL does, the less they give up.
I get that. I guess I was just surprised that (for example) the author on one day was saying the NHLPA should accept the proposal (with some minor adjustments) and then two days later writes another article saying 'after you read through the fine print'.... how did he not understand the implications? Or was he just slapped on the wrist for writing the initial article that requested the NHLPA compromise?

Revenant

“We want to play, we’re the ones who are doing the show in the NHL, but Bettman thinks it makes him. It is unfortunate that the NHL have such a guy. It’s a shame for the entire hockey world. Treats us like animals.”

funny-gifs-proboscis-monkey-eating.gif

Heretic

Is anyone here against the players wanting their contracts honored? I side with them on this and them wanting to help the smaller market teams.

Cat Party

This is fucking embarrassing for everyone involved that they aren't having meetings right now. There is a chance to save the full season and they are gonna let it slip by because no one wants to be the one to pick up the phone.

Top Bottom