• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Contracts scaled with the last CBA though. The contracts they have now don't really reflect the (proposed) CBA. Still though, they should be honored. But I ask you, what is a contract? Webster's defines it as “an agreement under the law which is unbreakable.” Which is UNBREAKABLE. Excuse me, I must use the restroom.

Heretic

Contracts scaled with the last CBA though. The contracts they have now don't really reflect the (proposed) CBA. Still though, they should be honored. But I ask you, what is a contract? Webster's defines it as “an agreement under the law which is unbreakable.” Which is UNBREAKABLE. Excuse me, I must use the restroom.

They're playing classic Mighty Ducks games right now =) Game 6 of the 2003 playoffs against the Stars

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Paying Parise and Suter those ridiculous amounts, and then trying to back out of honoring them is a joke, they tied the noose around their own necks.

ibvtItA7BdDvtc.gif

Marvie_3

Banned
Paying Parise and Suter those ridiculous amounts, and then trying to back out of honoring them is a joke, they tied the noose around their own necks.
Oh please. If you owned a team and had the opportunity to lock up two top players long term, then lower the money you owe them, you'd have done the same thing. Everyone would.

bluemax

Banned
Aww man I was checking Facebook just now and found out from a friends post that the Stanley Cup was randomly at a bar like a mile from my apartment tonight. I could've gone had I known!

I forgot who, but someone mentioned that their salary is so high because they figured there would've been a rollback, thus asked for a large salary to compensate for it.

Quick

Banned
I figured. I was thinking a decent area that's outside of downtown, but easily connected by transit. My roommate and I are thinking about moving there for a year.

Check with the Toronto-Age thread. EvilMario has a pretty comprehensive guide on the OP, including rentals.

Surge

At this point I just want them to cancel the entire season and get it over with.

I'm fully satisfied with watching the AHL, KHL, and some OHL games every once in awhile.

Oh please. If you owned a team and had the opportunity to lock up two top players long term, then lower the money you owe them, you'd have done the same thing. Everyone would.

Yet somehow this is "normal business," but players trying to fight to keep those contracts at the level negotiated through their designated bargaining representative is them "not getting it."

I love the logic around here. Somehow the owners are just these rational economic actors while the players and Fehr are somehow acting in some way that can't POSSIBLY be rational. Give me a fucking break.

Like I've said before, both groups know that once an agreement is on the table that is worth more over the long term than it is to hold out then they'll back down. (Long term includes next CBA too. Players aren't about to just drop HRR down with no future precautions so we can do this all again in 7 years.)

Player contracts were never guaranteed in the last CBA, they were always adjusted with escrow.

NHL is more concerned with union busting now than getting a deal done though.

Cagey

Banned
Big announcement for NY Islanders at 1pm. Rumored to be moving to Brooklyn according to a local news affiliate.

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=644105

WHAT: Press Conference

WHO: New York Islanders Owner Charles B. Wang, Barclays Center Majority Owner and Developer Bruce Ratner, Mayor Michael Bloomberg, National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman, Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz, Islanders General Manager Garth Snow, and Barclays Center and Brooklyn Nets CEO Brett Yormark

WHERE: Barclays Center
620 Atlantic Ave.
Brooklyn, NY 11217

Media to enter main entrance.

WHEN: TODAY, Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 1 p.m.

Located atop one of the largest transportation hubs in New York City, Barclays Center is accessible by 11 subway lines, the Long Island Rail Road, and 11 bus lines.

calder

Is Barclay's Center as small for hockey at wikipedia says?

Capacity
Basketball: 17,734
Ice Hockey: 14,500
Concert: 19,000

Insert your own Islanders "about 7k more than they need" joke, but still seems small for the market. Randomly I was looking up Barclay's yesterday and looking at the transportation to it. It would be cool to take a subway right to a game.. granted I'm a short walk away from the MTS Centre.

Cagey

Banned
Seating capacity would be the lowest in the NHL, but with the benefit of being more accessible (I think).

I don't know how many Islanders fans live far out into Long Island versus closer to the boroughs, but the Barclay's Center is ingeniously located atop a major subway and Long Island Railroad transportation hub. It's a breeze to get to via mass transit from inside NYC, and the LIRR aspect is akin to why the Devils moved to Newark: NJ Transit + PATH trains made public mass transit an actual viable option.

Right now, the Islanders are in the middle of who gives a fuck land.

EDIT: Also, Rangers fans are going to DOMINATE Isles/Rags games in Barclay's. To an absurd degree.

toro5741

I have a feeling they're going to announce they are playing their for the 2015 season while they continue to try to negotiate with Nassau County for a new arena, but I'd love it if they end up there permanently - would make going to games so much easier for this fan!

Cagey

Banned
Beats them playing in Quebec...

Agreed, beats playing in Quebec. Team was getting royally screwed over in Nassau but other than that they'll be fine in a new building, if they start winning some games.

Speaking of that, if you could start beating the Rangers, I'd really appreciate it.

calder

sportsnetmurph
BREAKING: Daryl Katz to visit Nassau County Coliseum.

Heh. But best Isles-related tweet imo would be:

nhlrulebook
The Islanders will wait for their lease to expire in 2015 before moving to Brooklyn because hey, you can't just ignore a signed contract.

Fox318

I don't know how many Islanders fans live far out into Long Island versus closer to the boroughs, but the Barclay's Center is ingeniously located atop a major subway and Long Island Railroad transportation hub. It's a breeze to get to via mass transit from inside NYC, and the LIRR aspect is akin to why the Devils moved to Newark: NJ Transit + PATH trains made public mass transit an actual viable option.

EDIT: Also, Rangers fans are going to DOMINATE Isles/Rags games in Barclay's. To an absurd degree.

It's better than the alternative of the Islanders moving to Kansas City for Islander Fans.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

I live wayyyy out there in Suffolk, so this news is kinda weird to me... but they really deserve to play at somewhere at least somewhat modern, the coliseum is so dated and Nassau's government/residents blocking any plans for redevelopment has gotten pretty frustrating.

Fox318

Islanders should have moved to Staten Island just so they could be called the Staten Islanders.

But if that Nascar track couldn't have been built nothing ever will until a train connects the Island to the rest of the city.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
As an Islander fan in NYC, I sorta like this.

Easy access and a growing fanbase for my team? Good.

Fanbase that will now consist of non-hockey fans and obnoxious hipster types? Bad

They already assured everyone that the league mandates that the name doesn't change. but if they alter the colors or logo, i'm gonna be really unhappy about that.

toro5741

As an Islander fan in NYC, I sorta like this.

Easy access and a growing fanbase for my team? Good.

Fanbase that will now consist of non-hockey fans and obnoxious hipster types? Bad

They already assured everyone that the league mandates that the name doesn't change. but if they alter the colors or logo, i'm gonna be really unhappy about that.

As an Islander fan that works in NYC and lives in NJ I LOVE this.... wondering how far in advance I can get a partial season ticket plan for 2015.

Top Bottom