• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Fei

I doubt they'll lose much ticket revenue considering they didn't sell 14k+ tickets every night, and they will likely charge a lot more per seat. Also their revenue from a local TV contract should go up substantially if they can become relevant to NYC'ers.

It's not the best case scenario, but it seems like the best practical option they've had for a long time.

Sanjuro

jewish hipsters?

If anything he is referring to the Jewish hipsters, not me.

I doubt they'll lose much ticket revenue considering they didn't sell 14k+ tickets every night, and they will likely charge a lot more per seat. Also their revenue from a local TV contract should go up substantially if they can become relevant to NYC'ers.

It's not the best case scenario, but it seems like the best practical option they've had for a long time.

It really is the best case scenario because it's the most practical. No chance they build a new arena down there and even if they did, why?

CREMSteve

At this point I just want them to cancel the entire season and get it over with.

I'm fully satisfied with watching the AHL, KHL, and some OHL games every once in awhile.

I'm really enjoying watching the AHL games, but the big thing hurting them is their schedule. So far, the Heat have only played games on the damn weekend. Going a full week between games is brutal, and completely saps the hype I get from watching their games.

By the time their next game is on, I barely remember to tune in. With the NHL, it's like every second night, I'm watching a Flames game. The AHL needs to replicate that experience, IMO.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
You do know the Nassau Coliseum was on Long Island, right?

Nah, just non hockey people in NYC/Brooklyn who will now pretend to like hockey. And say things like the team should change its name/colors/jerseys etc.

People who are clueless to the team's heritage, who've never heard of Billy Smith, things like that. That's what I'm referring to. Its already begun. I'm not an idiot, I'm aware where the team's arena was located and attended 10+ games a year for as long as I can remember.

gcubed

Man, its the perfect time for the Islanders to change their name/colors/jerseys, etc! Reinvent the team, they have no tradition to hold on to anyway

Sanjuro

Nah, just non hockey people in NYC/Brooklyn who will now pretend to like hockey. And say things like the team should change its name/colors/jerseys etc.

People who are clueless to the team's heritage, who've never heard of Billy Smith, things like that. That's what I'm referring to. Its already begun. I'm not an idiot, I'm aware where the team's arena was located and attended 10+ games a year for as long as I can remember.

Those people are going to contribute to keeping your team alive. The distance isn't as great as you would think though. When I was living there, I wanted to attend some Islander games. The travel just didn't make sense most nights.

Sanjuro

I hope they are re-named the Nets and have the same color scheme as the basketball team. EVERY TEAM IN THERE MUST BE THE NETS.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Those people are going to contribute to keeping your team alive. The distance isn't as great as you would think though. When I was living there, I wanted to attend some Islander games. The travel just didn't make sense most nights.

I'm aware of this too. I live in NYC and grew up on Long Island. I said I welcome the growing fanbase, but I, nor would any diehard fan, be thrilled with an influx of bandwagoners who are going to say dumb things like they want the name changed or new jerseys, etc.

it's good and bad, like i said in my first post. Glad i'll be able to take the subway to the games though, and I'll definitely be looking for a partial ticket plan

gcubed

forgive my obnoxious reply, this is a sensitive issue for me!

ha no problem, I think its a good move for them. You get nitwits no matter where you are, so just be happy that you get their money to help improve the team.

Hopefully we can watch hockey by then

Tough way to grow your business by downgrading capacity, upping ticket prices and moving into your largest competitors already heavily dominated territory. Good for them though, honestly didn't want them to leave NY. Isles you would think should be competitive before they move.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
One really good aspect of this is that the new arena will help attract free agents to a franchise that has really, really struggled to lure big names for the past 5-7 years.

Our most notable FA signing of the past 7 years was probably Miroslav Satan. Nobody knew how good Streit/Molson/Grabner were at the time they signed.

Edit: my phone does not know how to spell Mark Streit's name

One really good aspect of this is that the new arena will help attract free agents to a franchise that has really, really struggled to lure big names for the past 5-7 years.

Well if Wang and Snow stop being so cheap with contracts .. then yes. Islanders should be good in a few years if they don't screw it up.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Man, its the perfect time for the Islanders to change their name/colors/jerseys, etc! Reinvent the team, they have no tradition to hold on to anyway

Easily the most uninformed comment I've seen in NHL-GAF in months.

Even as a joke :p

gcubed

Easily the most uninformed comment I've seen in NHL-GAF in months.

Even as a joke :p

Al-bundy-ed-oneill-animated-gif-2.gif

Quick

Banned
Probably one of the best things Wang could do to help the team continue to exist. A downgrade in seats and (assuming) raised ticket prices to compensate are hurdles, but the team is in a good position to be successful and regain popularity with the right pieces.

And I'm sure there could still be some modifications made to Barclays Center down the line. Maybe they can even add some seats before 2015.

Osorio

Anyone who thinks Brooklyn is just Hipsters hasn't been to Brooklyn

This is a great move by the Isles even though I feel most Rangers fans in the city are from Brooklyn and Queens.

Osorio

Hopefully this'll do something for hockey in NYC. It's really not that respected in the city, but that could be because there's too little exposure.

Hopefully this'll do something for hockey in NYC. It's really not that respected in the city, but that could be because there's too little exposure.

Eh, Rangers still sell out every game. Hockey is never going to be more than sport number 4 in this city. I doubt the islanders moving to Brooklyn changes that.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Eh, Rangers still sell out every game. Hockey is never going to be more than sport number 4 in this city. I doubt the islanders moving to Brooklyn changes that.

I was about to say.

How can you compete against the Yankees, Knicks, Giants/Jets to be #1.

Rangers do a solid job at where they are on the sports landscape in New York.

Osorio

Eh, if Rangers games were all rabid fans you'd have a point but there are mad suits in the lower bowl. Not to mention MSG is probably one of the easiest arenas to get to in the world. So you have Rangers fans from NJ,LI, and Westchester coming to games as well. Most hockey conversations I have in the city are with transplants.

Marvie_3

Banned
Buh? I feel like changing the name and/or logo could have brought in a lot more fans, while only alienating some Islanders fans.
"Hey remember that really shitty hockey team?"
"Yeah, what about them?"
"THEY HAVE A NEW NAME AND LOGO"
"FUCK YES GIMME TEN HUNDRED SEASON TICKETS"

Seattle is gonna need a team name too though!

Guess they can fall back on baristas or neckbeards

Seattle Stevejobs

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Eh, if Rangers games were all rabid fans you'd have a point but there are mad suits in the lower bowl. Not to mention MSG is probably one of the easiest arenas to get to in the world. So you have Rangers fans from NJ,LI, and Westchester coming to games as well. Most hockey conversations I have in the city are with transplants.

Yeah, not to mention the crazy amount of tourists who just want to go to an event at MSG buying up tickets. Like how every David Letterman show audience is comprised entirely of tourists, not people who live in the city.

The Rangers have a great, loyal fanbase, no one denies this, but their home games (not the playoffs) have at least 40% suits/tourists taking up seats and not being what the culture would call "real" hockey fans. Comes with the territory when you play in midtown.

People who wear suits to games can't be hockey fans. Got it.

The Rangers are the third most profitable team in the league. They didn't get that way just because their lower bowl has corporate types in it.

Top Bottom