• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Socreges

Banned
Hockey fans are not like this stupid. The Islanders have a proud enough history and enough young talent to attract fans in the new area without cheap gimmicks.
While that's certainly not true, we're not even talking about "hockey fans". They'd be bringing in new people who would identify with, or be drawn to, the 'Brooklyn' name.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Actual hockey news? Some-sort-of smacktalk between Rangers/Isles fans? The end must be near.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
While that's certainly not true, we're not even talking about "hockey fans". They'd be bringing in new people who would identify with, or be drawn to, the 'Brooklyn' name.

You're right, better change to the Bronx Yankees and the New Jersey Jets/Giants while we're at it.

C'mon, man.

Marvie_3

Banned
Keeping it as New York targets a wider range of people instead of the smaller number that would identify themselves with Brooklyn.

Keeping it as New York targets a wider range of people instead of the smaller number that would identify themselves with Brooklyn.

Yet the nets are reaping the benefits of doing so, at least from a merchandise point of view. I can't walk 2 blocks without seeing someone wearing Brooklyn nets gear.

Osorio

People who wear suits to games can't be hockey fans. Got it.

The Rangers are the third most profitable team in the league. They didn't get that way just because their lower bowl has corporate types in it.

Those suits allow for consistent sellouts at one of the highest priced tickets in the league. That might have something to do with it.

Marvie_3

Banned
Yet the nets are reaping the benefits of doing so, at least from a merchandise point of view. I can't walk 2 blocks without seeing someone wearing Brooklyn nets gear.
They're the first pro sports team to be based in Brooklyn since the Dodgers and basketball is more popular than hockey.

Osorio

Yeah but Brooklyn has always considered itself a different entity. Now that it's not a complete shithole Brooklyn pride is at it's highest.

Not to mention that if Brooklyn was it's own city it'd be in the top 5 largest cities in the US

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER

Basketball is much more popular than the NHL, as much as that makes me sad to say. The market for NBA gear is also way more in line with the "Brooklyn" image, as seen in the ridiculous amount of Jay-Z marketing by the Nets. Jay owns 1/15th of 1% of the team.

Hockey is a more niche sport in this country that has fans who care more about tradition than new merchandise.

Socreges

Banned
Not so sure that 'New York Islanders' had much caché around the state, not to mention that few Islanders fans will stop identifying with the franchise.

You're right, better change to the Bronx Yankees and the New Jersey Jets/Giants while we're at it.

C'mon, man.
What... is this? Those are three of the most popular franchises in all North American sports. The Islanders are... the Islanders.

Those suits allow for consistent sellouts at one of the highest priced tickets in the league. That might have something to do with it.

Again, wears suits = not a fan of hockey?
Only poor white trash are allowed to like hockey?

More dislocated Ranger fans who cant get affordable seats at their own arena, yes. Glad we see eye to eye on this issue/

Is this what Isles fans have to hold onto? Yikes, things are more dire than I thought.

Osorio

Not so sure that 'New York Islanders' had much caché around the state, not to mention that few Islanders fans will stop identifying with the franchise.

You're looking at this like a Canadian. New York Islanders doesn't have much cache around the state because hockey doesn't have much cache. Hockey in the Tri-State area is passionate but very niche.

Seriously, the only Rangers fan I know that isn't from NJ and LI is probably KingHenrik

Whatever helps you sleep at night

Basketball is much more popular than the NHL, as much as that makes me sad to say. The market for NBA gear is also way more in line with the "Brooklyn" image, as seen in the ridiculous amount of Jay-Z marketing by the Nets. Jay owns 1/15th of 1% of the team.

Hockey is a more niche sport in this country that has fans who care more about tradition than new merchandise.

People are jerking off to Brooklyn right now. They are putting it in front of everything now. I'm not saying the ilses should change their name, I'm of the opposite opinion. I'm just saying that putting "Brooklyn" in front of something is going to get it sold all over the country.

Osorio

And everybody at Knicks courtside seats are diehards too.

That's not to say none of the suits are Rangers fans but as someone who has been lower level for a Devils-Rangers game at MSG they sure don't sound like they give a fuck.

MSG needs to institute a dress code.

1836-mnj-ph-01f.jpg

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
You're looking at this like a Canadian. New York Islanders doesn't have much cache around the state because hockey doesn't have much cache. Hockey in the Tri-State area is passionate but very niche.

Well said. Isles fan base is small, but extremely loyal. if they changed the name, hockey fans would be angry all around the Tri-State area would be pissed.

Is this what Isles fans have to hold onto? Yikes, things are more dire than I thought.

Well, we hold on to that and the laughable contracts you guys tend to give to overpriced forwards with careers on the decline. Incidentally, is Nash's injury all better yet?

Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland
On Tuesday's conf. call Don fehr explained to the players that the deal got better in 2004the longer the lockout went.

Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland
According to sources Don Fehr has convinced the players the longer they remain firm, the better the deal will be down the road #NHLPA

Giant facepalm

And everybody at Knicks courtside seats are diehards too.

That's not to say none of the suits are Rangers fans but as someone who has been lower level for a Devils-Rangers game at MSG they sure don't sound like they give a fuck.

Coming from a true unbiased source. But whatever, I'm sure it's better than the empty seats at the rock who don't look like they give a fuck.

The fact that it's true? I bet. Rangers fans are mostly from the burbs.

Rangers fans are mostly from every part of the 5 boroughs, westchester, long island....
Saying people in manhattan arent rangers fans is assinine.

Well, we hold on to that and the laughable contracts you guys tend to give to overpriced forwards with careers on the decline. Incidentally, is Nash's injury all better yet?

If there is one team that can't bust on the Rangers for giving out bad contracts it's the islanders. Even with the bad contracts we've been more succesful than you over the last 20+ years, and that's not saying much. Nash is fine, bone bruise. He's back playing for Davos.

Socreges

Banned
I'm not sure how you're providing any new information here. Does that contradict what I'm saying?

This sounds like KingHenrik and his 'YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND NEW YORK' rant.

Well said. Isles fan base is small, but extremely loyal. if they changed the name, hockey fans would be angry all around the Tri-State area would be pissed.
So the extremely loyal fans would.... stop following the team? Huh?

Osorio

I'm not sure how you're providing any new information here. Does that contradict what I'm saying?

This sounds like KingHenrik and his 'YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND NEW YORK' rant.

I'm saying the name is nowhere near the issue

ShaneB

Giant facepalm

Uhh... don't I remember that the deal they eventually accepted was worse than what was originally offered? "Worse" being relative considering how much more the players have made since then...

edit: in either case, fuck Fehr, cancel the season, let me move on in peace.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
If there is one team that can't bust on the Rangers for giving out bad contracts it's the islanders. Even with the bad contracts we've been more succesful than you over the last 20+ years, and that's not saying much. Nash is fine, bone bruise. He's back playing for Davos.

Hey, hey! That DiPietro contract has plenty of years left for him to redeem himself!
/sarcasm

but at least its a minor cap hit for the length of it, unlike the shitty Yashin deal. It can be argued that we learned a lot from our mistakes since Wang forced Snow to give DP that contract though. Good, fair deals in place for Tavares, Moulson, Grabner, Hamonic, and Streit.

And of course I'm just trolling you for fun, also.

No, they'd be angry and want the team to stay true to its roots. How angry would you be if the Canucks moved to a new arena over in the New Westminster area and chose to alter the teams name and/or logo to sell merch to new prospective fans in the area? You don't give Ny hockey fans or the Islanders franchise enough credit.

Socreges

Banned
I'm saying the name is nowhere near the issue
I'm not saying it's an issue. I was just saying that changing it to Brooklyn plus cool name/logo would be significant in attracting new fans and improving merchandise sales. I'm surprised that they didn't take the opportunity, but I can totally understand (and agree with) the sentiment of retaining the name/logo because of the history/intangibles.

No, they'd be angry and want the team to stay true to its roots. How angry would you be if the Canucks moved to a new arena over in the New Westminster area and chose to alter the teams name and/or logo to sell merch to new prospective fans in the area? You don't give Ny hockey fans or the Islanders franchise enough credit.
You're not even replying to what I'm saying, dude.

gcubed

really, I'm annoyed by Fehr as he isn't negotiating, he's just holding out. I mean, both sides are insanely close to each out, the fact that they aren't even talking is annoying

Osorio

I'm not saying it's an issue. I was just saying that changing it to Brooklyn plus cool name/logo would be significant in attracting new fans and improving merchandise sales. I'm surprised that they didn't take the opportunity, but I can totally understand (and agree with) the sentiment of retaining the name/logo because of the history/intangibles.

The best way to go about it would be keeping the name and logo. The Nets are moving to Brooklyn as the bastard child of New York-area sports. They were in New Jersey for 35 years with a minute amount of success which dissipated into new ownership and a plan to move. They're also giving a city (Most Brooklyn born people I know consider Brooklyn it's own city) it's first franchise since 1957. Yet, there's nothing glorious about the history of the New Jersey Nets.

The Islanders on the other hand have as many Stanley cups since 1972 as the Rangers have had since 1926. Despite Nassau Coliseum being a complete shithole whenever I went there I loved seeing all the banners hung up from their past.

Revenant

Giant facepalm

I can see it now

Winter 2013 - a small group of players and Fehr are locked in a room with a phone on the table, now looking tired and unkempt.

Fehr: We almost have them where we want them fellas! I can feel them breaking!

(Iginla antsy, starts to reach for the phone- Fehr slaps him away as crosby begins to tear up.

Fehr: Don't you see our great victory is almost at hand! We'll have everything EVERYTHING!" (laughs maniacally as the players huddle and slowly move away form Fehr and his now obvious erection)

Iginila begins to remember a conversation he had with a former MLB player.

MLB player: If you're looking for a new PA man don't be looking for that Donald Fehr o'er there. The person you hire ain't the person you get.
Iginla: but you think he'll come out of retirement?
MLB player: dammit Iginla! sometimes, retirement is better

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
When asked if the CBA negotiation is about to go into a deep freeze, B. Daly said "I suspect so. Back to the drawing board. Unfortunate."

YAY MORE GOOD NEWS

RC

Banned
Greetings from Amsterdam!

Had a magic brownie last night, and it was a pretty awful experience. I was in bed, wide awake, questioning if I was real or not. At one point I even convinced myself I was dead, and stuck in hell. Never again.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I wonder if the Isles will get the Jay-Z makeover ala the Nets:

301978_XkrpjU2KOB2IlaeFm4rzi02Fm.jpg

BrooklynIslanders.png

Already confirmed not to happen, thankfully.

Those logos (and the Nets new logo) are awful.

Top Bottom