• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
At least we're not Oilers fans.
mM5Cc.gif

Obama weighs in on the lockout.

Jay Leno: "Mike from Los Angeles- can you pull some strings to end the NHL Lockout"

Obama: Laughs "You know I do have a comment on this. And every time these things happen, I just wanna remind the owners and the players. You guys make money because you got a whole bunch of fans out there. Who are working really hard, they buy tickets, they're watching on TV. Ya'll should be able to figure this out. Get this done."
Tim Thomas is going to fucking flip.

RC

Banned
Bannings, Obama, Dutch league, oh my.
I've missed too much, darn this lack of free wifi. Oh well, pub crawl in the red light district tonight. I'm sure many poor decisions will be made.

This thread gets weird sometimes.

Also future Red Wings star Damian Brunner is tearing it up right now in the NLA and has had great chemistry with Z. Can't wait until he gets to come over and tears it up in the NHL. :D

Surge

Morgan Rielly scored a ridiculous end to end goal last night in the WHL.

16 points in 13 games so far, he's going to be a stud for the Leafs.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Also future Red Wings star Damian Brunner is tearing it up right now in the NLA and has had great chemistry with Z. Can't wait until he gets to come over and tears it up in the NHL. :D

"He needs to earn his time. We'll stash him on the 4th line and get him limited playing time until he pays his dues, gets frustrated, and eventually leaves the NHL for Europe. He can't be replacing established veterans like Dan Cleary on the top 2 lines." -- Mike Babcock

ShaneB

The league minimum is more than Obama makes.

This makes me think it would be fun to actually get to watch Bettman vs Fehr debate. I use to term fun loosely, because I think It could make me mad just as much.

Here's a trailer for a hockey documentary based on fighters in the NHL, particularly Chris Nilan. It's getting great reviews so far from players (not surprisingly) and hockey beat writers, and actually looks pretty interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv9UAmA0RJA

Saw the trailer for this not long ago, it definitely looks intriguing, but I worry that it'll take a pretty pro-fighting stance, even with all the other things that it seems the movie is about. I'm all for getting fighting out of hockey, so I'm on the fence about this until I watch this.

gcubed

This makes me think it would be fun to actually get to watch Bettman vs Fehr debate. I use to term fun loosely, because I think It could make me mad just as much.

Saw the trailer for this not long ago, it definitely looks intriguing, but I worry that it'll take a pretty pro-fighting stance, even with all the other things that it seems the movie is about. I'm all for getting fighting out of hockey, so I'm on the fence about this until I watch this.

holygrail5.jpg

gcubed

I would pay big money to watch Bettman chop off Fehr's arms and legs.

as would I. I have become vehemently anti-Fehr but still pro-PA. The thing is I think the PA can get basically what they want by the end of the day today. I think without the latest "hold strong" from Fehr there could have been a deal between the two with the 50/50 split and some changes to escrow. It's not like they are miles apart.

as would I. I have become vehemently anti-Fehr but still pro-PA. The thing is I think the PA can get basically what they want by the end of the day today. I think without the latest "hold strong" from Fehr there could have been a deal between the two with the 50/50 split and some changes to escrow. It's not like they are miles apart.

I was so pessimistic before things even started, but after the owners made their proposal last week I was sure we would have a season. I feel it is 100% Fehr holding things up now. I hope the players dump him soon and get someone in that wants to save the season more then they want to "win".

gcubed

I was so pessimistic before things even started, but after the owners made their proposal last week I was sure we would have a season. I feel it is 100% Fehr holding things up now. I hope the players dump him soon and get someone in that wants to save the season more then they want to "win".

if the story was true about the owners willing to talk about honoring the contracts then i'm not sure what else they need to do to win... its not like RFA/FA timelines would hold up talks for another month.

There's no way you can drop to 50/50 and still honor existing contracts.

They could gradually phase it in, but none of the PA's offers have guaranteed 50/50. If leagues revenues soar there are escalators that will take them to 54% ish.

It's all smoke and mirrors.

if the story was true about the owners willing to talk about honoring the contracts then i'm not sure what else they need to do to win... its not like RFA/FA timelines would hold up talks for another month.

Owners have a very different definition of "honoring contracts." They said their last proposal honored contracts.

Owners have a very different definition of "honoring contracts." They said their last proposal honored contracts.

It did. Player contracts come out of the player's share of revenue. If Crosby signs for $8.7M, that's 8.7M less for other NHL players.

Payers have been paying players so to speak for years.

Legally they've been honoring them, all contracts are subject to the current CBA.

Fuck it he's my idea:

49-49 split in HRR. 2% in escrow to honor contracts.
Continue that for 3 years and then 50-50 split. Money not used in escrow to be split.
???
Play hockey.

RC

Banned
Amsterdam has to be the most dangerous city in Europe to be a pedestrian. It's not even the cars you have to worry about, it's the bikes.
So many bikes.
It's not uncommon to see a woman completely done up with 6 inch heels on her cell racing through the streets on a bike. Kinda blew my mind the first time I saw it.

Wait, should say something hockey related. Met some people from Phoneix yesterday. Between the three of them, one knew that they have a hockey team. Now there's a market worth fighting for.

It's supposed to be 70-80 here today... In mid Michigan. :/

Though it is supposed to drop to the 30's and 40's tomorrow. Love Michigan weather sometimes.

ShaneB

Its snowing here. That means hockey should be here.

Fuck.

In Toronto it never feels like winter to me, so I'm perpetually confused. When I'm home in Labrador for christmas surrounded by mountains of snow... then I'll miss hockey. At least the Junior WC are then.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I need to move back to a place that gets snow. We got like 8 inches total last winter. I used to live in an area that got around 150 a year.

I need to move back to a place that gets snow. We got like 8 inches total last winter. I used to live in an area that got around 150 a year.

Just move to Northern Michigan or the UP, would love to live up there some time.

So, any new news on the lockout? Been ignoring.

Crosby took over Fehr's job after Fehr ran into the last NHL and NHLPA meeting in his underwear screaming hold the line while throwing pieces of paper around the room with scribble marks on them representing proposals.

So now Crosby is sitting at the head of the NHLPA twiddling his thumbs and keeps mentioning how he can't wait to learn how this whole process actually works...

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Amsterdam has to be the most dangerous city in Europe to be a pedestrian. It's not even the cars you have to worry about, it's the bikes.
So many bikes.
It's not uncommon to see a woman completely done up with 6 inch heels on her cell racing through the streets on a bike. Kinda blew my mind the first time I saw it.

Wait, should say something hockey related. Met some people from Phoneix yesterday. Between the three of them, one knew that they have a hockey team. Now there's a market worth fighting for.

You've clearly never been to Rome. Noone follows any kind of traffic rules there, and people are honking constantly. You have to watch out.

Plinko

Just move to Northern Michigan or the UP, would love to live up there some time.

I lived in northern Michigan for 15 years. I just turned down a job there teaching at my old high school this past summer. It is absolutely gorgeous, but it just isn't for me. I refuse to live in the U.P., though--once you cross the bridge it's like you've entered the late 1970s. Most gas pumps don't even have credit card readers, cell phone coverage is almost nonexistent, and high-speed internet is rare.

I'm thinking more like Minnesota, Wisconsin, or Canada.

Marvie_3

Banned
I lived in northern Michigan for 15 years. I just turned down a job there teaching at my old high school this past summer. It is absolutely gorgeous, but it just isn't for me. I refuse to live in the U.P., though--once you cross the bridge it's like you've entered the late 1970s. Most gas pumps don't even have credit card readers, cell phone coverage is almost nonexistent, and high-speed internet is rare.

Minnesota is nice if you don't mind people that have lived here all their life yet still can't figure out how the fuck to drive during winter.

UP is awesome to visit, but I agree, when I went up there, it was so barren, but it was really cool at the same time.

Not surprised AT ALL about Snider's involvement, as I've kind of suspected it all along.

He'a a hardcore conservative who really hates unions. He's also just a generally really penny pinching businessman by all accounts. If I were Hartnell I might watch myself. Ed isn't beyond taking Hartsy's involvement as a personal insult.

gcubed

There's no way you can drop to 50/50 and still honor existing contracts.

They could gradually phase it in, but none of the PA's offers have guaranteed 50/50. If leagues revenues soar there are escalators that will take them to 54% ish.

It's all smoke and mirrors.

well obviously it wouldn't end up being 50/50 until most contracts were off the books. Sucks for the owners, but oh well, fuck em.

Why can't you use the 50/50 base, lower the cap, use that percentage to lower the cap hit of existing contracts although ownership needs to continue to pay until they are gone.

I'm sure thats just basically the falling percentage plan that was offered by players

Crosby took over Fehr's job after Fehr ran into the last NHL and NHLPA meeting in his underwear screaming hold the line while throwing pieces of paper around the room with scribble marks on them representing proposals.

So now Crosby is sitting at the head of the NHLPA twiddling his thumbs and keeps mentioning how he can't wait to learn how this whole process actually works...

Well if he is as fast a learner as Fehr is it will only take him 18 months.

Quick

Banned

Just wanted to quote this again and say that this is pretty insightful.

For instance, team revenue is affected by how many tenants are sharing the same building, and which one is labeled as the primary tenant.

Q: Could you elaborate on "sharing a building with two other professional teams" and how that's detrimental to an organization?

A: Happy to, there is a thing called "primary tenancy" in any building. For example: At the Staples Center in LA, the NBA Lakers have primary tenancy. The LA Clippers have secondary, and at the bottom are the Stanley Cup champ NHL LA Kings. I don't know what the division of revenues for non-sport events are in LA, but I know that dividing that by 3, with all its concessions, etc dilutes revenue. And that's assuming all the concerts and suite revenue would be shared. Compare that with a Detroit. Great building, great team, primary tenant. They get ALL revenues for anything that happens there.

Thought that bit was quite interesting.

Marvie_3

Banned
I really hope the NHLPA gets all their demands and the owners get rid of Bettman. 4 work stoppages, two of them lockouts in 20 years.
First, the NHLPA is NOT getting all their demands.

Second, Bettman is nothing more than a figurehead for the owners and no commissioner is liked in any sport. Labor disputes are on the owners and the NHLPA. Bettman has little to do with them in the end. He can't institute a lockout without the owners telling him to do it.

Plinko

UP is awesome to visit, but I agree, when I went up there, it was so barren, but it was really cool at the same time.

It is great--I love vacationing there for a week to get away from everything (seriously, where can you still go that gets no cell phone signal?), but living there would be terrible.

Plus, they're all Packers fans.

Plinko

Just wanted to quote this again and say that this is pretty insightful.

For instance, team revenue is affected by how many tenants are sharing the same building, and which one is labeled as the primary tenant.

Joe Louis Arena used to be a great venue, but is in bad need of repair.

And then there was this:

Reddit said:
Hahahahaha. It depends on what month of the season they get injured. However, there are good reasons most of the time for holding someone out. I will say there was an unnamed player for an unnamed team whose "Upper Body Injury" was a hangover, and another whose "Lower Body Injury" was a rash....

Top Bottom