• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Lockout With Your Cock Out |OT|

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Well following the hockey media constantly is your problem. AHL is filling in fine for now while I watch my other sports and just keep up with my other hobbies.

Exactly. Cancel it now and be done with it. Get your shit sorted and come back for a full 2013-2014 season.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/175971521.html

The biggest question: What's the end-game here? Owners aren't allowed to speak, so I can't ask em. As for the players, there's not one player that has been able to answer this question for me. But it's a question they better start asking their union boss. They're fighting over a reduction of $1.6 billion over six years. Well, these players are going to lose more than that by not playing THIS YEAR alone, and as was proven during the last lockout, players always make out better in the long run. There's a reason many players have seen their salaries skyrocket, have seen the average NHL salary rise by a $1 million in the last eight years.
So does any of this make any sense?
Where does this end?
If Donald Fehr is not willing to go immediately to a 50-50 split in a $3.3 billion business, he's not going to do so when revenues take a gigantic hit. And considering both the union and the league are basing proposals on revenue growth, those proposals are both going to have to come off the table as revenues plummet.
We're officially at the ugly stage with no end in sight. If Fehr goes after the cap, which does appear to be his intention, we're all going to be in for a long, painful hiatus.

This is probably going to get uglier.

Why do people want the whole season canceled? I want the NHL back.

It's just tiring hearing all the crap both sides are saying through the media not to mention getting your hopes up that we might have hockey soon only for things to fall apart.

Neither side seems really interested in pulling out the stops to get a deal done, if they're more interesting in posturing and stonewalling then cancel the season and put us out of our misery.

I'm fully expecting the season to be cancelled. No disappointments this time. Both sides can fuck right off. I cringe every time I see Toews on tv trying to act like he knows what he's talking about. The owners will get their way for the most part anyway at the end of the day, so it's funny seeing these players act like they understand any of this.

I'm fully expecting the season to be cancelled. No disappointments this time. Both sides can fuck right off. I cringe every time I see Toews on tv trying to act like he knows what he's talking about. The owners will get their way for the most part anyway at the end of the day, so it's funny seeing these players act like they understand any of this.

I cant see how the lower and mid-tier players are okay with this. They lost a full year already so the top guys could make more and now they are going to lose another year so the top guys can keep their money? It seems insane to me. I keep hoping their is a players revolt and they get that bastard Fehr out.

Osorio

Interestingly enough a lot of my coworkers that don't know shit about hockey are excited about the Islanders moving to Brooklyn.

Anecdotal device but still a good sign.

I cant see how the lower and mid-tier players are okay with this. They lost a full year already so the top guys could make more and now they are going to lose another year so the top guys can keep their money? It seems insane to me. I keep hoping their is a players revolt and they get that bastard Fehr out.
It's not just the mid tier depth and grinder guys vets stand to lose a lot as well. Iggy has lost about 15 million over 2 lockouts and is a year closer to retirement. You have to wonder why those guys are OK losing 2 years off their career and 2 years of salary.

I do agree no deal until Fehr is routed.

Heretic

Fehr can go after the cap all he wants. If the owners don't want to honor the big contracts, there's no way they'll drop the cap. Not sure why he's using that as his trump card. It's stupid.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Yes. I still predict a full season lost and Fehr getting fired by the PA after that.

Fehr can go after the cap all he wants. If the owners don't want to honor the big contracts, there's no way they'll drop the cap. Not sure why he's using that as his trump card. It's stupid.

Fehr just doesn't believe in the cap, kind of like Romney and same sex marriage.

I think he'd sacrifice player's salaries and careers just to fight the salary cap.

And when that happens NHL will pull guaranteed contracts off the table.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Fehr just doesn't believe in the cap, kind of like Romney and same sex marriage.

I think he'd sacrifice player's salaries and careers just to fight the salary cap.

Romney believes in same-sex marriage, as long as his audience believes in same-sex marriage... Bad example.

When he was with MLB I remember the idea of a cap coming up and he seemed really opposed to it. The cap works great in hockey though. If he cant see that then they need to find someone that can.

When he was with MLB I remember the idea of a cap coming up and he seemed really opposed to it. The cap works great in hockey though. If he cant see that then they need to find someone that can.

The cap limits how much top end players make, I imagine Crosby, Ovechkin would be getting closer to $15M with no cap.

And those are the only kind of players the NHLPA cares about.

And Fehr doesn't care about hockey, he's a baseball guy. He just thinks the current system is wrong and gives the owners too much power over players.

And he'll throw most of the players under the bus to fight it if he can.

John Buccigross ‏@Buccigross
NHL sources tell me the NHL will cancel Winter Classic and All Star Game. Announcement presently scheduled for Monday.

Shit's getting real.

So I guess the season will go soon. All the "experts" seemed to be saying that the winter classic was the big thing the oner wanted to save. I really hope that this is all worth it for what ever side wins. So many people were talking about hockey last year and the ratings were great for the playoffs. Both sides are idiot for fucking with that.

I really wish people would stop trying to appeal to both the NHL and NHLPA to end the lockout.

They don't care. They don't care that they're ruining hockey or pissing off the fans. None of this is about that. Hockey doesn't matter to the owners or players, the fans doesn't matter, what matters at the end of the day is money.

There IS a reasonable deal to be made here, both sides know it, and they both know what that deal is, but neither side actually want it, because reasonable isn't enough. This will only end when one side caves, there won't be a fair deal.

@DownGoesBrown
The NHL canceling the Winter Classic two months early = Keyser Soze shooting his own family to let the bad guys know he means business.

That's a good analogy(from one of the best movies ever no doubt)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If the Winter Classic is canceled, I see absolutely no way they have any season.

Also, LOL at Walsh saying the PA is stronger than ever. Right. Wait until they cancel the season and the lower- and mid-tier players start complaining.

I have no doubt the owners will miss 2 full years of NHL hockey if necessary.

Heretic

I don't know how the players don't tell him to shut up. I can't see the owners wanting to deal with him after all of the shit he talks.

If the Winter Classic is canceled, I see absolutely no way they have any season.

Also, LOL at Walsh saying the PA is stronger than ever. Right. Wait until they cancel the season and the lower- and mid-tier players start complaining.

I have no doubt the owners will miss 2 full years of NHL hockey if necessary.

But that could potentially kill the NHL :(

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Am I the only one that really looks forward to seeing what shit the NHL and the PA will put out when hockey does come back?

Those "thank you fans" messages and commercials were hilarious.

I especially love the first press conference once an agreement is reached where the PA stands side by side with Bettman saying how great a deal this is for both sides.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
They better come back with 2 more teams in Seattle and x, phoenix relocated and the conferences rearranged. They have enough time to discuss that now.

Fuck both sides for being pretentious cunts, neither side cares about hockey or the fans or anything, it's all about "pride" and money. They'll come back after losing 2 years of hockey with like "YEAH WE GUARANTEED OURSELVES 5% MORE REVENUE WE WIN", while completely ignoring how much they lost by not playing.

-flips table-

I especially love the first press conference once an agreement is reached where the PA stands side by side with Bettman saying how great a deal this is for both sides.

I can't wait to see the first interview with Toews after the NHLPA gets bent over the table again.

Top Bottom