• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2013 |OT| Black History Forever

dem

Good move holding on to Iginla until all you can get is 2 bad prospects and the last pick in the first round.

We got more for Dustin Penner.

ShaneB

I was more upset with the thought of Iginla going to the Bruins. Would be nice to see him win a cup, but not the Bruins, blech! I certainly won't be cheering for a Penguins win, but if Iggy wins a cup with the Pens... *shrug*

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Iginla went to Pitts instead of Boston?

YES YES YES YES YESSSSSSSSSSS

Don't get me wrong, the Pens now have the most top end talent in the league, but they scare me *much* less than Boston. Why? Simply put, Pens are soft and the Bruins aren't, and being soft always catches up with you in the playoffs.

Soft?

In what way? Kunitz, Cooke, Vitale, Orpik, Letang, Engelland, Iginla, Sutter, Morrow, Murray are definitely not soft. Even Dupuis can have some solid body checks with his speed. Not saying the Penguins are "tougher" than the Bruins but with the latest three additions, they can bring it. Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla is going to be unreal.

Solo

7h0bH3G.gif

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
That's a pretty bad trade for the Flames, two potential 2nd/3rd liners and a really late 1st round pick for Jarome Iginla? Horrible

Why would Calgary agree to such a shitty trade?

Jay Feaster is a moron. Don't understand how he still has a job after that O'Reilly fiasco.

It's probably Iginla's NTC that stopped the Boston trade.

From what I've heard, Feaster had an offer from all the teams on Iginla's list and gave Iginla the choice to go where he wants, which tells me that, at the very least, he found the Pittsburgh offer acceptable.

I haven´t posted that much recently. I have been in China for a while and being unable to watch hockey(not even highlights, fml) has made it unbearable to be in this thread. Hell I cant even enjoy the standings properly. And this has to be the year when Kane are finally beasting:(

But I have to say something about Iggy. He is withouth a doubt my favourite non Hawks player to play in the NHL. I wish I would have been able to see him in a Hawks jersey. Fuck you Pens...

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I still feel like Calgary still thinks they aren't rebuilding. Watch as they trade away their draft pick for some scrubs.

Trade deadline's still a week away and Feaster couldn't get a better deal from the Pens than 2 college kids and a 1st?

Man, I feel sorry for Calgary

Iginla went to Pitts instead of Boston?

YES YES YES YES YESSSSSSSSSSS

Don't get me wrong, the Pens now have the most top end talent in the league, but they scare me *much* less than Boston. Why? Simply put, Pens are soft and the Bruins aren't, and being soft always catches up with you in the playoffs.

This exactly.

I mean, the Pens are explosive and fast as hell, but clearly the Bruins have that intensity and shear strength that scare me much more.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Rangers have finally OFFICIALLY signed Mats Zuccarello, which i guess means the KHL finally completed the paperwork of releasing him from his contract. He's with the team in Ottawa right now, but my guess is we don't actually see him in the lineup until either Saturday in Montreal or Monday back at the Garden against the Jets.

MacAttack

Pens really look like the NHL's version of the Heat. Let's hope they come up short this season like the heat did in year one and next year they get bit by free agency.

The way I see the East right now is a 4 tier system.

Tier 1: Boston, Pittsburgh
Tier 2: Montreal
Tier 3: Ottawa, Toronto, New Jersey, Winnipeg
Tier 4: everyone else

I think the East's representative in the SC comes from Tier 1 or (hopefully) Tier 2. Ottawa would slide into Tier 2 if they were healthy.

That's a good list. We should be up to Tier 1.5 at least if we get everyone back from the IR before the playoffs as expected.

As for the Iginla trade, should blame the owners not the GM more for not making this trade sooner. That's what happens when ownership meddles in hockey operations.

sammich

The Flames i think got the best that they could have hoped for with Iginla. 3 Months and after he wins the cup comes back if he wants. Plus i actually have faith in Feaster/Weisbrods scouting with the NCAA considering Gaudreau and Gilles and Jankowski to a lesser degree. Could he have gotten better? Hard to say considering Pitts probably knew that they were the front runners and Iggy had the choice. You have a choice to play with Crosby/Malkin and have the best chance at a cup. Why the F would that not be the 1st choice.

Now they have to get rid of:

Bouwmeester
Callamari
Stempniak
Stagan
Kipper(though this will prob be a trade there for rest of theyear, trade back and then Buyout)
Tanguay
Sarich
Butler
Babchuk
Comeau
Jackman
Irving

They are going to have to start getting rid of players regardless as they are close to the contract limit.

sammich

Right, but that doesn't prevent the Flames from trying to seek a better deal from the Pens.

And what did you expect Pittsburgh to give the flames for 3 months of Iginla knowing that they would be his first choice? He isnt signed for anything once the playoffs are done. He can come back to calgary with the cup WHEN he wins one. If he does the flames got a 30th pick and 2 who knows what right now players for nothing.

And what did you expect Pittsburgh to give the flames for 3 months of Iginla knowing that they would be his first choice? He isnt signed for anything once the playoffs are done. He can come back to calgary with the cup WHEN he wins one. If he does the flames got a 30th pick and 2 who knows what right now players for nothing.

The time to negotiate it higher would have been when it wasn't known PIT was Iginla's first choice, especially if you believe the reports that the Flames liked the Bruins' offer more than the Pens' offer. Flames had the upper hand to try to get the Pens to at least offer something that was on par with what they could've gotten from the Bruins, since theoretically, only they should have known PIT was first choice. The reports beforehand was there was a handful of teams he would waive the NMC for.

MacAttack

This will never happen. He's never going back to Calgary no matter what happens. The Pens have the inside track on re-signing him if they want to.

sammich

This will never happen. He's never going back to Calgary no matter what happens. The Pens have the inside track on re-signing him if they want to.

If he wins the cup this year hes going back home to Calgary. I have no doubt in that. He isnt moving his entire family to Pitts for the remainder of his years considering hes a god in Calgary and they have been there for so long. He will retire a Calgary Flame.

Or ..

At least i hope so to make me feel better.

*ignores everything regarding iginla extension with pitts if if it happens*

Parch

The Pens deal makes more sense than the Boston nonsense last night. That's reasonable return for a rental of Iginla's level.

Probably not enough cap for Pittsburgh to resign him, but it's still worth it for the cup run and the Crosby-Iginla olympic reunion.

GRIP

If he wins the cup this year hes going back home to Calgary. I have no doubt in that. He isnt moving his entire family to Pitts for the remainder of his years considering hes a god in Calgary and they have been there for so long. He will retire a Calgary Flame.

Or ..

At least i hope so to make me feel better.

*ignores everything regarding iginla extension with pitts if if it happens*

I'm sure that will go over real well in Calgary. Regardless if the Pens with the cup or not, he's not going back to Calgary. At least not next season.

Edit: or ever.

Parch

Calgary is looking north to a real rebuilding team. They have to deal with the Oiler rebuild media hype and they've always been wannabes. I think there's no chance they'll resign Iginla unless it's a ridiculous bargain. Not going to happen.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
More like people actually want Budaj to take the #1 spot......jesus christ

That game had a lot of crazy bounces and some terrible D. Blaming Price is stupid. It could have been worse it Price and Budaj didn't make some huge saves.

edit: Also remember early in the season when Alucard wasn't enjoying hockey being back, :lol

Cake Boss

Banned
That game had a lot of crazy bounces and some terrible D. Blaming Price is stupid. It could have been worse it Price and Budaj didn't make some huge saves.

edit: Also remember early in the season when Alucard wasn't enjoying hockey being back, :lol

Life of a bandwagonner.

Acid08

Banned
Fuck it, I'm cheering for the Pens if(when) the Sharks don't make it out lose in the first round. I want to see Murray lift the Cup. The rest of you are so butthurt toward the Pens :lol this thread would be so fun if they won.

Jesus H Christ

So, a team that was picked #1 by many and has the best odds to win the Cup by analysts during the pre season in this shortened season just got Morrow and Iginla.

Man, part of me wants to see a 1st round upset just to see the salty Pens tears.

Knowing our luck though, they'll face the Leafs in the 1st round and sweep us.

Iginla for a 1st 2013, a college player picked in the 3rd round, and another college player picked in the 5th round?

Looks like the Pens win.

But Iginla could go back to Calgary afterwards, right?

Would that mean the Flames win?

Winning a cup means the Flames win? :lol Spoken like a true leafs fan.

WUT? Have you?

The only thing I did during the lockout was watch basketball.

Yes? And Pens stars aren't old and slow, the Lakers stars are.

sammich

Translation : Paul MacLean on the Jarome Iginla trade.

is that real? Well i was wondering that anyway. How many teams out there thought they could handle Pitts before the Iginla deal still think they can after the deal? Doesnt this sorta kill the trade market. Who does Boston now go out and get to counter the 3 that Pitts just got considering Pitts was beating Boston without those 3 and Malkin.

Out west i think only LA can do it due to the toughness/abusive factor that the kings could lay down on the Penguins, though that isnt as one sided anymore.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I still think if the Leafs faced the Pens they could give them a hell of a series...they won't win but they'll play hard and force the series to 7.

Top Bottom