• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

ZeroGravity

Apparently we're erecting a statue for Dave Andreychuk on April 5th

The life-size bronze statue of Andreychuk will be located at the entrance to Ford Thunder Alley, just northeast of the intersection at Channelside Drive and Morgan Streets. The statue will depict Andreychuk hoisting the Stanley Cup over his head after the Lightning defeated the Calgary Flames in Game 7 during the 2004 finals. The Andreychuk statue will stand 9-feet tall and weigh approximately 600 pounds.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
2Vn3koT.jpg

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Only a year ago the Canucks were a top team, and After Hours graced us every night. Now look at us :(

Smiley90

Eddie Lack still has a Top 10 sv%!

..... but at this rate of decline...

I like how Torts' comment on why he didn't pull Lack was "Markstrom wasn't ready yet"

So you call the prospect backup goaltender less ready than the guy that just let in 6 goals.

Way to crush BOTH goaltenders' spirits, Torts.

Socreges

Banned
I like how Torts' comment on why he didn't pull Lack was "Markstrom wasn't ready yet"

So you call the prospect backup goaltender less ready than the guy that just let in 6 goals.

Way to crush BOTH goaltenders' spirits, Torts.
He said that? Was there more context? Because that makes zero fucking sense. You've got a backup goalie on a team that's apparently trying to make the playoffs that can't be put in net? Likely because he's too inexperienced - so meanwhile he warms the bench and misses out on ice time in the AHL. How do they not anticipate this?

Smiley90

Red_Man

I'm not aware how reliable The Province is, but they said that if the Canucks had lost in Calgary, there was a scenario where Torts could have been fired. If that's the case, it seems impossible he survives after tonight's debacle.

Edit: Lol @ "Don't put this all on Eddie, but he makes a mistake there"

Smiley90

I'm not aware how reliable The Province is, but they said that if the Canucks had lost in Calgary, there was a scenario where Torts could have been fired. If that's the case, it seems impossible he survives after tonight's debacle.

After he let in Lack for 5 goals against Dallas and 6 goals against the Islanders and has seemingly turned Burrows and the Sedins into scoring black holes and has made Kesler wanna leave the club, I wouldn't even be mad. He doesn't seem like the kind of coach to supervise a rebuild.

BRING US DALLAS EAKINS

Socreges

Banned
Hard to believe that Friedman was actually privy to such sensitive information. Also convenient that he brings this to light when it's meaningless and impossible to vet.

I could see them firing him soon and putting in a temporary coach (in a last ditch effort to make the playoffs), but I think it's more likely that he and Gillis are gone in April.

I actually forgot it was 'just' a 2-goal deficit so yeah you go with the goalie that gives you the best chance, if you feel there is a chance....... so never mind.

Red_Man

Hard to believe that Friedman was actually privy to such sensitive information. Also convenient that he brings this to light when it's meaningless and impossible to vet.
Were you responding to me? I'm confused. The point I brought up has nothing to do with Friedman. That information came from here:

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/03/10/the-van-provies-time-to-tie-off-torts/

That's why I questioned the validity of the source, I have no familiarity with it. A guy from TSN retweeted it.

Socreges

Banned

Red_Man

Oh, I see. I didn't hear it before, just saw it in that article I posted. Regardless of whether it's valid or not, blowing a 3 goal lead and allowing 7 goals in one period is as much a breaking point in a season as any other event could be.

Socreges

Banned
Oh, I see. I didn't hear it before, just saw it in that article I posted. Regardless of whether it's valid or not, blowing a 3 goal lead and allowing 7 goals in one period is as much a breaking point in a season as any other event could be.
Definitely might wake up tomorrow and find him fired.

All depends on how the organization sees this group of players, imo. If they want to believe that it's capable of turning things around and making the playoffs, Torts is gone tomorrow. But if they're more realistic and can see that the roster has serious problems as well, I think they let him ride out the season.

yyzjohn

Banned
Just checked the Canucks score. Why would Torts pull the goalie after they gave up 6 in a period, just for laughs to tie their club record with 7 against?

Canucks fans, as a Leafs supporter I know your feels bro, you're at the end of days for Gillis/Torts, it'll go up from here.

Is this going to be the year a Canucks fan makes the off-season thread?

No.

Crazed has to make the offseason thread.

No, I have a feeling you won't see me for a long time once we get confirmation that we miss the playoffs, which is really soon after we lose tonight. And at least we have an excuse for being so bad considering half our team has been injured the whole year.

However, I probably will make it after our first loss of next season, which will be game 1.

We Are All Canucks Negative

I like this....

Obligatory: Well at least the Canucks still suck.

Edit:

tumblr_n28lgg0Ckw1rgjwupo1_500.png

OMG!!! BEST NEWS EVER!!!!
Will we still be playing once that is over though? Probably not

Socreges

Banned
Just checked the Canucks score. Why would Torts pull the goalie after they gave up 6 in a period, just for laughs to tie their club record with 7 against?

Canucks fans, as a Leafs supporter I know your feels bro, you're at the end of days for Gillis/Torts, it'll go up from here.
Better that than being one of the few coaches in history to ever be down 2 goals and concede the game. You always pull the goalie.

And thanks for the empathy. I wonder how much longer this modesty from Leafs fans will last. China also portends a peaceful ascension, but we all know they're gonna fuck shit up if they ever get the chance.

I'm pretty sure the Q playoffs end like two weeks before the NHL season ends.

Because after Phillips/Coyle won the Q championship with SJS a few years ago they went down to our AHL affiliate and played for a week or two down there and then all of the AHL playoffs.

Red_Man

tumblr_n28lgg0Ckw1rgjwupo1_500.png

Not to rain on your already shitty parade, but that guy is far from a credible source, especially when it comes to Montreal guys. Not that it can't happen, I just wouldn't take anything he says seriously.

yyzjohn

Banned
Better that than being one of the few coaches in history to ever be down 2 goals and concede the game. You always pull the goalie.

And thanks for the empathy. I wonder how much longer this modesty from Leafs fans will last. China also portends a peaceful ascension, but we all know they're gonna fuck shit up if they ever get the chance.

Lord knows Canucks fans never let the Leafs fans know when we were shit. ;-)

I'm pretty sure the Q playoffs end like two weeks before the NHL season ends.

Because after Phillips/Coyle won the Q championship with SJS a few years ago they went down to our AHL affiliate and played for a week or two down there and then all of the AHL playoffs.

:D

Not to rain on your already shitty parade, but that guy is far from a credible source, especially when it comes to Montreal guys. Not that it can't happen, I just wouldn't take anything he says seriously.

:(

Red_Man

Did you interpret that as him being called up to the NHL or AHL? NHL can't happen, but AHL seems pretty likely. Lots of teams call up junior prospects once their seasons are over to get in 10+ AHL games and the playoffs if the team is in it. Montreal did so with 3-4 guys last year.

Did you interpret that as him being called up to the NHL or AHL? NHL can't happen, but AHL seems pretty likely. Lots of teams call up junior prospects once their seasons are over to get in 10+ AHL games and the playoffs if the team is in it. Montreal did so with 3-4 guys last year.

AHL, would nice to see what he can do against tougher competition.

Spl1nter

Going to be a tough game tonight against the Kings. It seemed like Getzlaf and Perry were on the ice last night for the entire third period. I looked at the boxscore and they played 26 and 24 minutes respectively, damn they were dominant out there.

The funniest thing about this to me is that, if my memory is correct, Markstrom wrecked us in Madison Square Garden last season.

Fake edit: Yup.
And back down in FLA :D. That stretch he only allowed one GA per game for 4 games. His best game still is the face-fucking he gave MTL in his debut.

He has the skill but has never been able to put it together for long stretches even in the AHL, that and his knee issues.

Top Bottom