• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

Acid08

Banned
It's nice to see Commander Sheppard doing well. Good on him.
His line with Wingels and Havlat have been great for us. They're producing and letting Pavs stay up on the first while Hertl is still out. He had been having effort issues for a while but they gave him his own line and he's playing his heart out.

Samyy

Fair enough, he was fine in LA. Before and after that he's been bad. Bad.

Interesting post I saw that speaks to the mind numbing terribleness of our team:

Here are some stats re: our goaltending and record since the Olympic Break.

Jonathan Bernier is 3-1-2 (two OT wins). In the loss, he was a .939. In the two OT losses, he was .857 and .867. In the two OT wins, he was a .903 and a .943. In the lone regulation win, he was .977. The opponents were NYI (cold), MTL (cold), CBJ, NYR (hot), PHL (hot), ANA. He left the LAK game in which he had put up .800 in the first. He faced an average of ~34 shots a game.

James Reimer is now 1-5-0. In the five losses, he's been .833, .875 (the SJ game, which we all seemed to agree the whole team was out to lunch on), .889, .903, and .906. In the lone win, he was 1.000. The opponents were WAS (cold), DET, TPA (hot), MTL (hot), SJS, and LAK. He faced an average of ~36 shots a game.

Neither goalie has played phenomenal, and even when Our Saviour Bernier has, the team still only managed to grab one regulation win. The only two regulation wins we have had since after the Olympic break have had .977 or higher SV% and 1.00 or lower GAA. Both goaltenders have had some sub-900 nights (which were OT losses for Bernier and regulation losses for Reimer), and some above-900 nights (which were OT wins for Bernier and regulation losses for Reimer).

Maybe -- just maybe -- the team is playing awful and the goaltending can't bail them out from being as bad as they have been since the break.

Whatever, hopefully in a few years they'll realize they messed up.

Vman

His line with Wingels and Havlat have been great for us. They're producing and letting Pavs stay up on the first while Hertl is still out. He had been having effort issues for a while but they gave him his own line and he's playing his heart out.

Good, it sucked when he got hurt in that atv accident. I thought he was done for sure.

CAPS WIN!

Biulq0v.gif

Samyy

Leafs are great at hiring local guys or fulfilling wishes. As for their effectiveness? All over the place.

Well who can blame them, management hasn't established a direction for the team, its very confusing.

1) They bring in a coach that plays a certain style of game, which, I figure they would like to play - but the team is just not built that way, and can't play that way without major changes.

2) Coach then starts trying to play that game/ management bends to his will to bring in overpriced player whose uselessness at playing Carlyles supposed game is perplexing since he (Clarkson) was brought in to do just that.

3) Now coach says okay lets play whatever game the team is suited to play but wait, the team doesn't have the responsible defence to be able to survive playing a loose run-and-gun style and the coach can't seem to figure out how to play defence with the team he has.

Honestly there is no excuse for how the Leafs play, because honestly there is no semblance of any system or structure. It seems like Carlyle couldn't do what he wanted so he ended up doing nothing at all.

Pension Plan Puppets: where 3-2-1 = 1-5-0

Thats not where I got it from but interesting that you would point to guys who actually provide stats and research to backup their articles and seem to derive some negative connection to that. Just because people are critical of the Leafs doesn't mean their wrong, which is generally the complaint about PPP.

Seems like most of Toronto just wants to be told everything is sunshine and rainbows.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Saw this mentioned on twitter and seems like a legitimate area of concern for the Leafs in that their top forwards and goalies are all having career years and they're still just squeaking into the playoffs as of right now.

We keep winning against playoff teams and losing against non-playoff teams. Baffling.
It's always been like that in sports. What separates the best teams from everyone else is getting over that and having that killer instinct.

zroid

Banned
What's truly amazing is that seemingly every team (other than the Sens lol) that was trying to compete for a playoff spot in the East has stepped it up big in the last couple weeks. Flyers, Rangers, Habs, Blue Jackets, Red Wings, Caps, Lightning.

Meanwhile, in Toronto...

Thats not where I got it from but interesting that you would point to guys who actually provide stats and research to backup their articles and seem to derive some negative connection to that. Just because people are critical of the Leafs doesn't mean their wrong, which is generally the complaint about PPP.

Seems like most of Toronto just wants to be told everything is sunshine and rainbows.

Maybe the lesson here is to post your sources, definitely seemed smug enough to be a PPP article. My major problem with PPP is that they are a stats website with a passing interest in the Leafs.

In any case, I know you're going really far out of your way to prove this is a bad team, or a bad coach, or whatever, but Reimer had a shit game tonight. He dropped the ball hard tonight, and against Tampa.

Samyy

Saw this mentioned on twitter and seems like a legitimate area of concern for the Leafs in that their top forwards and goalies are all having career years and they're still just squeaking into the playoffs as of right now.

It's always been like that in sports. What separates the best teams from everyone else is getting over that and having that killer instinct.

I'd say this is a typical year for Kessel.
JVR is having a career year.
I guess you could say Bozak is having a career year but when your wingers are a PPG guy and the other is having a career year your numbers are going to improve anyway.

Kadri and Lupul have regressed.

Bernier is having a career year (?) difficult to gauge with it being his first full season as a backup, goalies are weird.

So yea not too much of a concern actually, I would say we are under performing overall with Gardiner & Franson taking a step back, Dion not being as good as he was last season, Kadri & Lupul regress.

Maybe the lesson here is to post your sources, definitely seemed smug enough to be a PPP article. My major problem with PPP is that they are a stats website with a passing interest in the Leafs.

In any case, I know you're going really far out of your way to prove this is a bad team, or a bad coach, or whatever, but Reimer had a shit game tonight. He dropped the ball hard tonight, and against Tampa.

Fine, Reimer had a poor game. Now you can go tweet mean things at April Reimer like the rest of this cesspool city is doing right now.

ZeroGravity

Updated chances of making the playoffs:
99.9% - Tampa Bay
99.6% - Los Angeles
97.3% - Montreal
96.4% - Philadelphia
93.3% - New York Rangers
88.9% - Minnesota
67.5% - Columbus
66.5% - Detroit
57.6% - Phoenix
50.5% - Dallas
42.2% - Toronto
26.4% - Washington
09.4% - New Jersey
02.5% - Vancouver
00.8% - Carolina
00.7% - Winnipeg
00.2% - Ottawa

Quick

Banned
April doesn't deserve that. She's the last bit of innocence the team has. Even Eternal Optimist Good Guy Reimer's soured.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Wow. Classy.

Also Gretzky's daughter reins above everything, if only 'cause she's a Gretzky.

EDIT: I totally didn't realize the Leafs fell so much. I thought they were a lock for the playoffs beginning of the year. haha.

... haha. :(

What kind of a fucking person thinks "this guy sucked in a game, I should tweet his wife about it"? I've got a new thing to be pissed off about now.

Seriously, what happened to you as a child to make you do this?

Last year was an anomaly and you know it. The team overall played better defensively because we dropped in a couple guys who were sharp from the minors, it was a shortened season, and we only played teams in the east.

I don't think it was an anomaly: His numbers in 10/11 are very similar to his 12/13 numbers.

Do you really think Reimer got it done tonight?

Well, because this team is so defensively inept, and I know how badly they need goaltending to completely bail them out every game - no, I don't think he did.

Samyy - Here are some depressingly prescient comments about Carlyle from a March 2012 PuckDaddy post:

• He demands strong defensive zone coverage, but loves a cranked up forecheck that keeps the puck out of his defensive end. Of course, he also likes having a goaltender — be it Giguere or Hiller in Anaheim — that can bail him out. The Leafs afford him no such luxury at the moment.
  • One of the knocks on Carlyle is that he's not adept at developing young players. (Yes, even though The Kid Line of Dustin Penner, Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry won him a Cup ring.) The Leafs are going to have a great number of them moving up the ranks as the team reloads. Carlyle, meanwhile, is the kind of coach that likes to keep his bench short and his veterans on the ice.
    This might have been one of the more compelling arguments for Marlies Coach Dallas Eakins to take over, giving that young core someone to grow with rather than finding a disconnect with Carlyle. But let's see how that reputation plays out in Toronto before judging the new guy's work with the youngin's.
  • How fortunate that Lupul was in Montreal when this news broke, seeing as how it's a city of sublime diversions. Because this is one relationship that needs a-mendin'.
    In his second season as a Leaf, Lupul is having a career year with 66 points. Part of the reason, he said, was that Ron Wilson believed in him as a left winger where Carlyle did not.

Is it me, or are we seeing these themes play out again? Carlyle teams need a super-star goalie to survive; Carlyle doesn't like to develop young players and overuses veterans (McClement<barf>); Carlyle has needlessly shitty relationships with his players.

ZeroGravity

Wow. Classy.

EDIT: I totally didn't realize the Leafs fell so much. I thought they were a lock for the playoffs beginning of the year. haha.

Vancouver's chances actually went up 0.5% since Wednesday!

Samyy

Wow. Classy.

Paulina Gretzky has like a negative ass, it actually goes inwards or some shit blegh

Samyy

What kind of a fucking person thinks "this guy sucked in a game, I should tweet his wife about it"? I've got a new thing to be pissed off about now.

I think its a fundamental problem with the internet, its almost like people don't realize that everyone on it is still an actual person IRL and what your saying actually has consequences.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
If my child gets to have Wayne fucking Gretzky as his grandpa I couldn't care less about how much ass she has, as long as she's not crazy ugly.

Which she's definitely not.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Wasn't there a thread on Gaf like a month ago about a study that proved these kind of trolls have serious psychological issues? If Ellers wife had twitter, I'm pretty sure Forza would be in jail by now.

Paulina Gretzky has like a negative ass, it actually goes inwards or some shit blegh
157.gif

So his 11/12 and 13/14 numbers are the anomally? It's hard to keep track of which set of 60 games is supposed to define this goaltender.

Well considering it's only been mid-December to now where he hasn't played well AND played a minimal amount of games at that, it'd be difficult for you to define him as a goaltender in that stretch as well.

Top Bottom