• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Those wildcard spots in the East are quite the cluster fuck. Detroit plays Columbus, Montreal, Toronto, and Tampa in 4 of their next 5 games. Their playoff hopes are essentially in their own hands.

Those wildcard spots in the East are quite the cluster fuck. Detroit plays Columbus, Montreal, Toronto, and Tampa in 4 of their next 5 games. Their playoff hopes are essentially in their own hands.

You mean in the hands of pretty much just Nyqust and maybe Tatar since the rest of the team is doing jack.

Even though we are in 7th now, still going to take a miracle to make it I believe. The other teams around us are better and will find their footing here for a final push.

He barely came up with any saves tonight. Notice McIntyre didn't allow a goal on more shots. It's sad when you're outplayed by a career AHL goalie.

Well that's because no one knows anything about MacIntyre. There's a book out on Reimer already. Reimer outplayed Gustavsson and Giguere in 2010 and look how that ended up. I give him credit for keeping the Leafs in the game but there's a reason why he's an AHL journeyman.

Samyy

Red there is no point
Goalies are easy scapegoats and Toronto hates hearing that their team isn't good.

Probably why Mirtle gets so much hate for instance, I understand why people might disagree with him but people get frothing mad when he posts anything slightly negative :p

Red there is no point
Goalies are easy scapegoats and Toronto hates hearing that their team isn't good.

Probably why Mirtle gets so much hate for instance, I understand why people might disagree with him but people get frothing mad when he posts anything slightly negative :p

It's most of Leafs GAF too though. Why the fuck is your fanbase incapable of seeing that Reimer is not the issue here? You guys have sooooo many more issues than that and Reimer takes all of the heat. Even here, where people usually are smarter than the average hockey fan (besides Tabris).

As you said, your team is not good. It is not all on Reimer or even MOSTLY his fault.

It's most of Leafs GAF too though. Why the fuck is your fanbase incapable of seeing that Reimer is not the issue here? You guys have sooooo many more issues than that and Reimer takes all of the heat. Even here, where people usually are smarter than the average hockey fan (besides Tabris).

As you said, your team is not good. It is not all on Reimer or even MOSTLY his fault.

To point out goaltending as being the issue with this team is a cop out tbh.

Sanjuro

Reimer "is" an issue, but not the complete one now.

If the team was stacked in the skater categories and ready to contend, I would have serious questions about Reimer being the guy to lead them all the way.

The topic is important because this team can get into the second season and needs someone who can stand on their head and stop the bleeding, regardless if it doesn't get them the whole way.

Red there is no point

James Reimers last five starts:

For a 0.846 average.

Samyy

For a 0.846 average.

The Leafs on average, give up 3 goals a game, and have all season long - even with Bernier in net.
I repeat, they have the 5th WORST GAA IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE! They only win if the offence is going and its not going right now.
Has Bernier been able to steal some games, yes, but on average we have had to score 4 goals to win a game or win it in the shootout.

Red_Man

Both Cujo and Belfour had save% > .911 in multiple seasons.
You're right, I just checked the guy that posted that stat and it's from the lockout forward. Basically the only hockey that exist anyways according to some.

You're right, I just checked the guy that posted that stat and it's from the lockout forward. Basically the only hockey that exist anyways according to some.

So a stat that only counts from when the goalie carousel started? Wow, such useful.

The Leafs on average, give up 3 goals a game, and have all season long - even with Bernier in net.
I repeat, they have the 5th WORST GAA IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE! They only win if the offence is going and its not going right now.

A .700 dude.

Reimer "is" an issue, but not the complete one now.

If the team was stacked in the skater categories and ready to contend, I would have serious questions about Reimer being the guy to lead them all the way.

The topic is important because this team can get into the second season and needs someone who can stand on their head and stop the bleeding, regardless if it doesn't get them the whole way.

Of course. But a lot of goalies would struggle with the defense Reimer has in front of him lately.

For a 0.846 average.

I've watched four of these. Your defense is doing him absolutely no favors.

zroid

Banned

I don't know about the rest of the Internet, but I haven't seen anyone on GAF contend that this team is anything but deeply flawed. The only reason any of us complain about Reimer is he is playing relatively bad right now and unlike terrible D which isn't something you can easily fix, especially after the trade deadline, playing a goalie that can bail us out (eg: Bernier) is. Unfortunately he's injured and Reim's all we've got. So some of us are a bit frustrated.

yyzjohn

Banned
You have evidence to the contrary?

Problem with Reimer is yeah he's had 2 seasons with save % > .920 but its never been more then 40 games played. He can't handle a 65 game load like the guys I mentioned. This really should have been the perfect situation for him with Bernier playing 60-65 and him playing the rest but he's managed to screw it up.

Tabris

2536421_1242665_lz.jpg

Red_Man

Problem with Reimer is yeah he's had 2 seasons with save % > .920 but its never been more then 40 games played. He can't handle a 65 game load like the guys I mentioned. This really should have been the perfect situation for him with Bernier playing 60-65 and him playing the rest but he's managed to screw it up.
Carlyle has fucked that up though, he's completely ruined any confidence Reimer could build up especially when he puts Bernier in after a weak performance, but the opposite doesn't happen for Bernier if he has a weak performance. He's definitely been mistreated and there are plenty of examples of teams shipping out goalies for peanuts in the last few years, only for them to turn it on big time on a new team. Wouldn't surprise me to see the same happen with Reimer.

yyzjohn

Banned
Carlyle has fucked that up though, he's completely ruined any confidence Reimer could build up especially when he puts Bernier in after a weak performance, but the opposite doesn't happen for Bernier if he has a weak performance. He's definitely been mistreated and there are plenty of examples of teams shipping out goalies for peanuts in the last few years, only for them to turn it on big time on a new team. Wouldn't surprise me to see the same happen with Reimer.

And he'll probably have a really good season next year too. He has an even/odd thing going now. In four seasons:

So pencil him in for at least .920 next season.

You're purposefully being obtuse here and you know it as well as I do.

I was talking about the games you pointed out in your post.

I'm not deliberately being obtuse. A .700 is laughably bad. Our AHL goalie posted a 1.000 with the same players in front of him. Are the leafs a great defensive team? Fuck no. Would we be having this conversation if Reimer had put up goaltending consistently over .900 in the past three games? Also a fuck no.

Red_Man

The thing is, even if Bernier had never got injured and had won say 2 maybe 3 of these past games for the Leafs, their play style is still unsustainable for the playoffs. If they're lucky they'll win 1 round, but that run and gun and let 45 SOG style won't get you far when the playoffs roll around. So what's the end point? There needs to be complete readjustment whether it's from the management, or the team, not sure.

Samyy

The thing is, even if Bernier had never got injured and had won say 2 maybe 3 of these past games for the Leafs, their play style is still unsustainable for the playoffs. If they're lucky they'll win 1 round, but that run and gun and let 45 SOG style won't get you far when the playoffs roll around. So what's the end point? There needs to be complete readjustment whether it's from the management, or the team, not sure.

I refuse to believe the players are so bad that they give 40 shots a game so often, it has to be the system. Its just baffling, I don't even understand.

Red_Man

I refuse to believe the players are so bad that they give 40 shots a game so often, it has to be the system. Its just baffling, I don't even understand.
I'm inclined to agree, but I don't watch as many of their games as you guys obviously. Regardless this style they're playing now doesn't lead to the cup.

Red_Man

I am so fucking glad Tabris isn't a part of my fanbase.

But according to Sanjuro I'm a part of 6 player fanbases soo :lol
Both of them have a penchant for talking out of their asses. Maybe when the league finally embraces expansion they can jump on a new team together.

Top Bottom