• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

yyzjohn

Banned
Carlyle is gone 100% if the Leafs miss the playoffs. Nonis will feel the heat from fans/media/ownership, and firing the coach is probably the best way to buy himself more time.

I think they're both gone (Carlyle and Nonis). Tim Leiweke has been in the background and has done nothing with the Leafs so far. I think he'll be looking to "make his mark" and bring in his own guys as GM/coach.

Merguson

Banned
I think they're both gone (Carlyle and Nonis). Tim Leiweke has been in the background and has done nothing with the Leafs so far. I think he'll be looking to "make his mark" and bring in his own guys as GM/coach.

Highly disagree. Nonis is his guy. Remember the five-year extension?

EDIT: Well, two years added to a current contract.

sammich

I realized Carlyle has just one year left on his contract. I'm not positive anything will be done regarding that department. Wouldn't Nonis prefer to bring in his own coach after one more year?

Edit: I love how on the Phaneuf failed clearing, Kulemin just skates into the path of the supposed shot forcing Phaneuf to hesitate. Do these players pay attention to what is going on around them? Jesus.

Well most players would expect it to be cleared the first chance he gets, not hold on to it and stare at imaginary butterflies flying around his head like an idiot. Gee its not as if the blues werent pressuring every player every second of that period. He cant shoot it at the boards and out? And who cares if Kulemin is in the way? Its not like its stopped him from blasting pucks at his own players before. And knowing his aim, he should have aimed for Kulemin, he would have missed and hit the boards.

Carlyle is gone 100% if the Leafs miss the playoffs. Nonis will feel the heat from fans/media/ownership, and firing the coach is probably the best way to buy himself more time.

I hope so, but I'm not so sure. The fans seem to buy into the thoughtless, Friedman-eseque lines about how they just need to acquire Player Type X and get rid of Player Type Y and that will fix everything.

Then you have the 'new' narrative coming from the team and the official media mouthpieces seems to have drifted back to something along the lines of "This is where we expected to be, battling for a playoff spot". Of course, that's complete BS - they didn't make the changes/upgrades in the Summer and expect the team to be sitting 10th and hoping to rely on other team's being as shit as them to make the playoffs.

But yea, I thought Carlyle should have been let go ages ago, and I hope for our sake he is.

PS - I think these 2 paras from Nick Cotsonika are pretty accurate:

Yahoo! Sports said:
But this is brutal, torture in the Centre of the Hockey Universe, where the Leafs haven’t won the Stanley Cup since 1967, the longest drought in the NHL. The odds are against the Leafs in this position, and the odds caught up with the Leafs to put them in this position. Whether or not the Leafs make the playoffs, they need to take a long, hard look at GM Dave Nonis, coach Randy Carlyle and their overall approach.

The truth is, the Leafs aren’t very good. They never really were. When Carlyle took over, he talked about improving defensively, but the Leafs allow more than 36 shots per game, by far the most in the league. Last summer, Nonis bought out Mikhail Grabovski and let Clarke MacArthur walk in free agency, and he signed David Clarkson and acquired Dave Bolland. Clarkson, the seven-year, $36 million man, has four goals in 52 games. Bolland has played only 18 games because of an ankle injury. Nonis acquired goaltender Jonathan Bernier, too, and Bernier has been brilliant. But he wasn’t that big of an upgrade over James Reimer, and goaltending can take a team only so far.

And sammich!

Well most players would expect it to be cleared the first chance he gets, not hold on to it and stare at imaginary butterflies flying around his head like an idiot. Gee its not as if the blues werent pressuring every player every second of that period. He cant shoot it at the boards and out? And who cares if Kulemin is in the way? Its not like its stopped him from blasting pucks at his own players before. And knowing his aim, he should have aimed for Kulemin, he would have missed and hit the boards.

I think Merguson was just pointing out how completely lost everyone is out there. No one knows what to do or how to do it on that team. #RandysWay

yyzjohn

Banned
But yea, I thought Carlyle should have been let go ages ago, and I hope for our sake he is.

How could you have let him go "ages ago"? This is his first full 82 game season. His first. He got the team to the playoffs in the shortened season so your'e not going to can him for that. How dysfunctional does the team look to fire a coach before even going through one complete season?

If the Leafs slump next midseason they'll fire Carlyle.

Burrows in tonight, will probably tape his hand to his stick.

Possible lines:

Burrows-Matthias-Daniel
Higgins-Kesler-Jensen
Booth-Richardson-Kassian
Sestito-Dalpe-Hansen
Schroeder

How could you have let him go "ages ago"? This is his first full 82 game season. His first. He got the team to the playoffs in the shortened season so your'e not going to can him for that. How dysfunctional does the team look to fire a coach before even going through one complete season?

I've been on the fire Carlyle band wagon from the start.

Who cares if he's had two truncated seasons and 'only' 90% of this one: The team plays worse under him than it did under Wilson.

Listen to what he says about his attempts to get the team to play better - he's either lost the locker room completely or has no idea how to adjust his systems to fir the roster.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
If the Leafs slump next midseason they'll fire Carlyle.

Burrows in tonight, will probably tape his hand to his stick.

Possible lines:

Burrows-Matthias-Daniel
Higgins-Kesler-Jensen
Booth-Richardson-Kassian
Sestito-Dalpe-Hansen
Schroeder

Least productive first line in the league god damn.

TAAAANK

yyzjohn

Banned
I've been on the fire Carlyle band wagon from the start.

Who cares if he's had two truncated seasons and 'only' 90% of this one: The team plays worse under him than it did under Wilson.

Listen to what he says about his attempts to get the team to play better - he's either lost the locker room completely or has no idea how to adjust his systems to fir the roster.

It doesn't matter if you've been on the fire bandwagon, he was getting results, they made the playoffs last year and were in a playoff spot all season this year until the last week. Whether it's pretty or ugly the bottom line was wins.

You could say the team was playing better under Wilson, but they didn't get the job done, were the worst PK team in the league years running, and coined the 18-wheeler phrase. Neither coach has gotten the team to play defense, so where's the difference? In the end it comes down to the players and getting the job done.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't matter if you've been on the fire bandwagon, he was getting results, they made the playoffs last year and were in a playoff spot all season this year until the last week. Whether it's pretty or ugly the bottom line was wins.

You could say the team was playing better under Wilson, but they didn't get the job done, were the worst PK team in the league years running, and coined the 18-wheeler phrase. Neither coach has gotten the team to play defense, so where's the difference? In the end it comes down to the players and getting the job done.
Seems weird they played great defense last season. Might be other teams adjusted.

Carlyle is definitely in 18 wheeler range I'd say.

I think he is a part of it; the problem is that the team and players need to suit each other and I never thought we had the players to win the cup but definitely compete a lot harder than they have been

Sanjuro

Wilson doesn't factor into the equation any longer. What you're looking at is a coach who brought the team into the second season, played decently in defeat, and then regressed into the following season.

Regressed is also putting it lightly, as likely he has choked away a decent sized playoff birth. Without the birth, he is likely in the hot seat.

yyzjohn

Banned
Wilson doesn't factor into the equation any longer. What you're looking at is a coach who brought the team into the second season, played decently in defeat, and then regressed into the following season.

Regressed is also putting it lightly, as likely he has choked away a decent sized playoff birth. Without the birth, he is likely in the hot seat.

Yeah I don't know why people are bringing up Wilson, the team was horrible under him, sure the talent level of the roster wasn't as good either, and Kessel wasn't as good as he is now, but that's over and done with.

Last year the team's PK was 2nd in the league, this year it's near the bottom, people say it was all goaltending, but it's a combination of factors not just the goalies.

Carlyle is definitely gone after this disaster, I think that much we can agree with.

Razorskin

----- ------
Canucks typically aren't that great at the Xcel so hopefully the Wild can come out of tonight with a W.

anything-is-possible-5ek68.gif

yyzjohn

Banned
Go Leafs Go!

This team man lol. You have to find other interests in life, cause if you take hockey too seriously like some of those callers on Leafs talk, you'll end up killing someone eventually. Leafs treat their fanbase like shit for their entire lives, and then you die.

Quick

Banned
This team man lol. You have to find other interests in life, cause if you take hockey too seriously like some of those callers on Leafs talk, you'll end up killing someone eventually. Leafs treat their fanbase like shit for their entire lives, and then you die.

U wot m8

I'll cut ur fukkn head off bro leafs r best n my hobbies are all leafs related ey

Cunt

Canucks typically aren't that great at the Xcel so hopefully the Wild can come out of tonight with a W.

I thought it was just Luongo, but I still hope the Wild light us up. Gotta get that playoff percentage to zero.

April OT Canada's playoff hopes lie with a team from separatist Quebec.

April Reimer OT she's just okay

Well, you'd asked how I could have seen him let go ages ago. Yes, obviously wins matter - but how you are getting those wins is extremely important as well. The analytics (even the traditional stats) have consistently shown that the team was winning despite its poor performance. I think a GM could have looked at that, realized that it wasn't going to last, and employed a bit of foresight.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, you guys aren't on a drastically different plateau for the moment.

You're right, over the course of the season there isn't much to separate the teams. This huge losing streak at the worst possible time is so fun to witness though.

When the Leafs are playing well you'd think they were Stanley Cup favourites based on the general reaction of everyone around here, and when things aren't going so well they go just as far in the opposite direction.

Sanjuro

You're right, over the course of the season there isn't much to separate the teams. This huge losing streak at the worst possible time is so fun to witness though.

When the Leafs are playing well you'd think they were Stanley Cup favourites based on the general reaction of everyone around here, and when things aren't going so well they go just as far in the opposite direction.

They are just a popular location. Much like the Mets are around here in baseball. Ton of passionate fans, hilarious results, self-deprecation everywhere.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Montreal and Toronto were pretty much at the same spot in the season the night of that game we came back against Ottawa and ever since then we've gone up, and they've gone downwards.

My dream scenario is Toronto and Detroit out of the playoffs.
This. Too bad it looks like at least one of them will make.

Sanjuro

On the topic of Leafs fans, I fit that mold for most of my life. Like I always say, it's IMPOSSIBLE for me to be drastically upset at local teams because it just comes across as foolish. Every team I grew up with that had no chance of winning has now won. All I can do is follow the teams and go along for the ride for the time being.

Hab fans are somewhere in that opposite category. You guys are the Yankees of the sport. Even with the drought, no matter what we accomplish, it's always going to pale in the overall comparison.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
NHL say's Price matched Dryden's record from 75-79 for 20 shutouts in a 4 season span. Cool beans.

Edit: Lucic still crying like a bitch about the Emelin hit today, move on dude.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
On the topic of Leafs fans, I fit that mold for most of my life. Like I always say, it's IMPOSSIBLE for me to be drastically upset at local teams because it just comes across as foolish. Every team I grew up with that had no chance of winning has now won. All I can do is follow the teams and go along for the ride for the time being.

Hab fans are somewhere in that opposite category. You guys are the Yankees of the sport. Even with the drought, no matter what we accomplish, it's always going to pale in the overall comparison.

Kuro has yelled at me before because he wants me to be really upset about these teams.

I just can't when I know they aren't even a guaranteed playoff team.

Samyy

I'm so happy Phaneuf is apologizing for not talking to the media after last night. Much more productive than worrying about the next couple of games!

I'm so happy Phaneuf is apologizing for not talking to the media after last night. Much more productive than worrying about the next couple of games!

Hey now, they can't shit on Reimer because he didn't play, and they can't shit on Bernier because he's the Ice Jesus (even though he left in 3 awful goals last night).

For some reason they can't shit on Carlyle, because ... ? He might be joining them as an analyst soon?

Top Bottom