• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

Socreges

Banned
;) I like Ducks GAF.
Strong lineup. Little thin up the center and not much grit but they're the kind of guys you can get behind. Need to continue bringing up prospects like Giggzy and Crackle as vets like Heretic are nearing retirement, can't handle the load

yyzjohn

Banned
You're right, over the course of the season there isn't much to separate the teams. This huge losing streak at the worst possible time is so fun to witness though.

When the Leafs are playing well you'd think they were Stanley Cup favourites based on the general reaction of everyone around here, and when things aren't going so well they go just as far in the opposite direction.

The Habs fans are different how?

Razorskin

----- ------
NHL Players Admit They Have No Idea How Line Changes Work

NEW YORK—Claiming that there is ostensibly no rhyme or reason to the sport's frequent in-game substitutions, players from across the NHL admitted Wednesday that they have absolutely no idea how line changes work. “Honestly, most of the time I just try to jump onto the ice whenever I can, and then I’ll come back to the bench when I get tired,” said Chicago Blackhawks center Jonathan Toews, adding that the changes are especially confusing following icing calls, when “some guys are allowed to change but other guys aren’t.” “I know certain players are supposed to go out at specific times and in ‘shifts’ or whatever, but I couldn’t even begin to tell you who, when, or why. Like when we’re on a power play, there are certain guys who are supposed to play, but then if the other team is on a power play, a whole different set of guys go out. And most of the time we have to sub in and out while the game is still going on. It’s just chaos.” A majority of players also confirmed they would much prefer having some kind of buzzer sewn into their uniforms to alert them when it’s their turn to take the ice.

yyzjohn

Banned
Overall? Very different.

Although, in his first sentence he pretty much details what is going on in 2014.

I don't think so at all. When the Habs are playing well you can find a huge contigent of Habs fans thinking they're Cup contenders, and when things go badly they want to dump players and fire coaches, it's the exact same thing with nutty Leafs fans. I think most posters on this board on more level headed, I don't recall any Leafs or Habs fan predicting their team as anything more than a potential bubble team this year.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So Habs and Nucks fans:

What's the deal with Raphael Diaz? He's only played two games with the Rangers so far, but I've liked what we've seen of him thus far. What's the catch here?

Sanjuro

I don't think so at all. When the Habs are playing well you can find a huge contigent of Habs fans thinking they're Cup contenders, and when things go badly they want to dump players and fire coaches, it's the exact same thing with nutty Leafs fans. I think most posters on this board on more level headed, I don't recall any Leafs or Habs fan predicting their team as anything more than a potential bubble team this year.

Well...yeah, the general hardcore bunch in Montreal are a very entitled crowd, which they should be.

I just made a general overview of where both teams stand competitively at this date and lamaroo agreed.

yyzjohn

Banned
Well...yeah, the general hardcore bunch in Montreal are a very entitled crowd.

I just made a general overview of where both teams stand competitively at this date and lamaroo agreed.

Yeah I was talking more about the fans and him suggesting that when things were going well Leafs fans were talking Cup which is nonsense. At least around here anyway.

Just listened to Phaneuf on TSN1050, doing damage control saying they'll get out of it blah blah. Thankfully the weather is nice outside and getting better, looking forward to enjoying the spring.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
No Habs fan here has ever called them contenders, and everyone has wanted Therrien fired for the majority of the season. As a whole, I think Hab fans are a lot more self aware of their teams issues than Leaf fans seem to be. We've won this year in spite of Therrien, and could be a better team with a new coaching philosophy. Even if Therrien just used his strategy from last year, we would be a better team. I'm not sure why he changed to a grinding, dump and chase style.

So Habs and Nucks fans:

What's the deal with Raphael Diaz? He's only played two games with the Rangers so far, but I've liked what we've seen of him thus far. What's the catch here?
He's a smart puck moving defenseman, but his main issues are his size and his shot. He's suppose to be an offensive D man and help on the 2nd PP unit, but he never shoots and when he does he misses 90% of the time. He's a good PKer, but due to his size he can get pushed around a lot. It's difficult for him to make a spot for himself because he's so soft, and not offensively gifted enough to compensate for his lack of size.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
The Habs fans are different how?

Never said they were, but for the record I'm strictly speaking about fans irl, not on the internet where everyone is using hyperbole.

I'm sure being a Leafs fan growing up in Quebec would be worse than my situation.

Edit: I should add that this has less to do with the actual fans that watch all 82 games and know what they're talking about, and more to do with the casual crowd who get in on the smack talk when the Leafs are doing well. Nothing wrong with it of course, just explaining why it's so fun to watch the Leafs crumble in my position.

zroid

Banned
apropos of nothing

tumblr_m54eck8VV11r3pv9ho1_500.gif

Red_Man

Edit: I should add that this has less to do with the actual fans that watch all 82 games and know what they're talking about, and more to do with the casual crowd who get in on the smack talk when the Leafs are doing well. Nothing wrong with it of course, just explaining why it's so fun to watch the Leafs crumble in my position.
This is pretty much my experience growing up as a Habs fan right by Toronto. I'd say 75-80% of Leaf fans I come across are these casual guys who watch 10 games a year and talk a lot of shit and say how it's their year every year. Of all hockey fans I've come across they seem to be the most casual which is obviously distorted by how large the fan base is.

apropos of nothing

tumblr_m54eck8VV11r3pv9ho1_500.gif
Where'd you find a gif of Kave & Dastardly dancing together?

I didn't realize they got so decked out in gear, that's crazy and hilarious.....:lol @ "It looks like the North has been lost this day"

lol, ikr. Was so strange seeing dudes in full blown knight gettup and then see some dude in a shirt and jeans just run up and try to hit them.

They have some rule that people in plate have to be hit 10 times or something though?

Nice people too. Randoms kept coming up to us and asking us if we wanted to play.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
lol, ikr. Was so strange seeing dudes in full blown knight gettup and then see some dude in a shirt and jeans just run up and try to hit them.

They have some rule that people in plate have to be hit 10 times or something though?

Nice people too. Randoms kept coming up to us and asking us if we wanted to play.

Please tell me you said yes.

Dear Flames, please channel the Oilers today.

Strong lineup. Little thin up the center and not much grit but they're the kind of guys you can get behind. Need to continue bringing up prospects like Giggzy and Crackle as vets like Heretic are nearing retirement, can't handle the load

Can I be the alcoholic divorced emotional Captain from Goon?

Please tell me you said yes.

After 6 more Canadian Clubs I would've fucking loved to have joined in. Except you have to get there an hour early and go through 'safety training' or some shit.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Fuck you Habs fan talking shit like this.

I'm only upset because you feel you're justified saying that while questioning Quick on his hate of the Jets fans for the same reason.

IT'S CALLED A DOUBLE STANDARD YOU ASSHOLES!

Quick I got you.

Solo

Well...yeah, the general hardcore bunch in Montreal are a very entitled crowd, which they should be.

The only difference between the Leafs and the Habs is that the Habs can beat the Bruins.

BRING IT ON, ROUND 2.

Roflobear

Got class again tonight. Give me those sweet, sweet ranger updates guys. Should make it back in time for the start of the 2nd period though. Then this will be a particularly special night since I'll be eating a pack of starbursts while watching the game

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck you Habs fan talking shit like this.

I'm only upset because you feel you're justified saying that while questioning Quick on his hate of the Jets fans for the same reason.

IT'S CALLED A DOUBLE STANDARD YOU ASSHOLES!

Quick I got you.
Captain standing up for his teammates.
Cryingcatgif

There must have be a lot of casuals, but I haven't run across them talking smack to other people cause they generally know very little about the game or team.

I don't generally see them in this thread either. Even last year during the playoffs I don't remember seeing anyone new. We're not Pittsburgh dammit!

Holiday

Banned
Got class again tonight. Give me those sweet, sweet ranger updates guys. Should make it back in time for the start of the 2nd period though. Then this will be a particularly special night since I'll be eating a pack of starbursts while watching the game

What kind of starbursts? Don't tell me basic-ass OG starbursts either.

Red_Man

Just nice guys, who try hard and love the LARP.

Top Bottom