• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm getting the feeling I'm the only Canucks fan who loves this trade. Markstrom is an elite goaltending prospect and Matthias is severely underrated considering he's had no real supporting cast.
Markstrom was a great goaltending prospect but has had difficulties transitioning to the NHL and Matthias has a career high of 14 goals. Given Lu's ridiculous contract, it's not like they should have expected anymore in a trade.

snack

How much of Luongo's contract does Vancouver still have to pay? The players we got in return for Luongo are mediocre at best, but that salary that Luongo takes with him is fucking huge.

Zeppeli

Banned
Markstrom was a great goaltending prospect but has had difficulties transitioning to the NHL and Matthias has a career high of 14 goals. Given Lu's ridiculous contract, it's not like they should have expected anymore in a trade.

People just have unrealistic expectations... At the very least Matthias will do well in Vancouver.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
How much of Luongo's contract does Vancouver still have to pay? The players we got in return for Luongo are mediocre at best, but that salary that Luongo takes with him is fucking huge.
15%. Around $1m per year the first few years.

I guess Gillis thinks that having Lack and Markstrom share the duties could benefit the Canucks the same way having 2 young goalies has kept the Leafs in contention this year.

iLLmAtlc

C'mon man Markstrom is the #1 goaltending prospect (whose stock has dropped recently) !!!

considering Gillis was willing to settle for Scrivens + 2nd this is a good trade.

Canucks were going no where anyway so not having an established goalie this year isn't gonna hurt.

They dump the contract

I'm just ecstatic

Acid08

Banned
Lmao, this trade will look great in the near future. Lack is ready to be a starter and Markstrom is damn good. Matthias will show his real colours instead of the occasional flashes of brilliance playing with a richer talent group in Vancouver.
Yeah after Kesler is traded....rich talent group of the Sedins, Burrows, Booth and Kassian.

yyzjohn

Banned
Interesting that Florida now has Luongo and Thomas, both starters in the Stanley Cup finals when Vancouver played Boston.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I guess Gillis thinks that playing Lack and Markstrom share the duties could benefit the Canucks the same way having 2 young goalies has kept the Leafs in contention this year.

having competing goaltenders NEVER works

same with "hot hand" bullshit

Brad Boyes resigned too, hype building.
Panthers gearing up for that 2014/15 cup run, just gotta claim Conacher off waivers and they're set

I believe Luongo refused to waive his no-trade to go to Toronto.

Luongo's last start as a Canuck was against the Leafs. Breaks their 10 year winning streak, gets traded.

Canucks play the Panthers on March 16.

lupinko

Wtf robesto went back to Florida? Lol

And after Schneider was dealt too?

Man the dark days of Keenan era Nux look to be returning.

Socreges

Banned
Right.

So many were saying he was untradeable. Or that the Canucks could only get a 7th rd pick in return. All things considered, Gillis did well in that respect. Salary retention was always going to be a part of any deal, as well.

The problem is that he overvalued Luongo, traded Schneider so as to get that return he'd expected, and then ended up trading Luongo anyways! Schneider should have never been traded. Not like they ever wanted to be left with just an inexperienced Lack.

And he obviously still wants this team to compete if he just went for Markstrom/Matthias. Which is fucking stupid.

Too big to fail! The Canucks have become one of those franchises. But they'll fail, regardless.

I have touted Markström like crazy for something like 7 years, but with all the injuries and problems he have had, I am starting to doubt. I dont necessarily think it was wrong to trade Lou, or even Lou and Schneider. The nucks werent going anywhere in the next years anyhow, but they should have atleast gotten some picks for him.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This tarnishes the Canuck's image pretty badly too, for as long as Gillis is still there anyways. Who is going to want to play there after this Schnieder / Luongo fiasco, and guys like Kesler wanting out as well?

Loluongo.

I'm perfectly fine with this MacDonald trade. Was kind of expecting something like this actually. I expect that we'll stay put tomorrow now, and I'm fine with that.

Unless we can get Adam Larsson or Tyler Meyers for these ridiculously low prices that are going around.

Scott Laughton and a 2nd for Larsson Devs fans?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
So what's the deal with Burrows this season?

Do you guys want to keep him? His trade value must be rock bottom at this point though.

yyzjohn

Banned
This looks good on fathead Gillis. Spinning his BS about the huge market for Luongo, then backtracking and saying it was the plan all along to trade Schneider and keep Luongo, only to turn around and deal Luongo anyway. Once the Canucks miss the playoffs or are bounced early, he'll be fired. I'll miss him. :-/

Loluongo.

I'm perfectly fine with this MacDonald trade. Was kind of expecting something like this actually. I expect that we'll stay put tomorrow now, and I'm fine with that.

Unless we can get Adam Larsson or Tyler Meyers for these ridiculously low prices that are going around.

Yea right lol although I'd take that in a heartbeat.
Let's just pray Holmgren doesn't trade Schenn or Couts by the end of tomorrow.

MutFox

Banned
This looks good on fathead Gillis. Spinning his BS about the huge market for Luongo, then backtracking and saying it was the plan all along to trade Schneider and keep Luongo, only to turn around and deal Luongo anyway. Once the Canucks miss the playoffs or are bounced early, he'll be fired. I'll miss him. :-/

Seeing as the Leafs keep taking the Nucks GM's,
once Nonis is gone (might be a while), you guys will get Gillis... :D

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Loluongo.

CQyak8d.gif

iLLmAtlc

you guys expecting the Canucks to go somewhere or something?

Who cares that Schneider was traded?

No one is refuting that Gillis ran the whole thing into the ground but given the circumstances he was in how could this trade not be regarded as positive? Gillis went from willing to ship Luongo out for Scrivens + 2nd to getting a legit goalie prospect!

Top Bottom