• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

Just look at the Sharks for how to do a successful refresh. We were basically dead in the water last season until DW made his trades. And suddenly we were much better while still maintaining the same core.

Canucks don't have a Couture in the minors ready to play at a high level right now. Nor do they have a veteran goalie in net.

Cake Boss

Banned
Just look at the Sharks for how to do a successful refresh. We were basically dead in the water last season until DW made his trades. And suddenly we were much better while still maintaining the same core.

Yeah but look at your guys young core compared to Van, they have nothing.

They dont have a Couture, a Pavelski, Herlt, Burns, Braun, Demers, Wingels etc.

No NHL ready bodies to take over the vets that they will trade. Its basically Sedins feat Kesler and co.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but look at your guys young core compared to Van, they have nothing.

They dont have a Couture, a Pavelski, Herlt, Burns, Braun, Demers, Wingels etc.

No NHL ready bodies to take over the vets that they will trade. Its basically Sedins feat Kesler and co.
Even if they did, Torts isn't a coach for rookies. I think he didn't give Horvat and Shinkaruk a chance iirc

Acid08

Banned
Canucks don't have a Couture in the minors ready to play at a high level right now. Nor do they have a veteran goalie in net.
Well Couture had been playing for a couple seasons before last year. Kesler would be your comparable. And you had Schneider and Luongo, surely one of them would have been good enough. The point is it's possible to take what you have a refresh it with the right moves. Only took trading the right three players for us to go from struggling to great.

Wazzy

Banned
I'm remember thinking the same thing when we traded away Linden. I just gave up on watching hockey and started getting into basketball, *shudders.*
Yeah that's what it will be for me if we trade Kes.
Oh come on.

I've been a huge Kesler fan for almost my entire time following the team. Before he had his breakout season I was a fan. A trade that I don't see any point in with him would just be a huge blow to me.

He's an amazing player and if he wants to stay then he should.

Socreges

Banned
iLj2VAywoH682.gif
What did I spin? I don't think you understood my post.... and it wasn't complicated.

@DarrenDregerDarren Dreger 6:21 PM
1 year ago Leafs offered Scrivens and draft pick and asked Canucks to retain $1 mil per year for remainder of his contract. Deal fell apart.

Tabris

Well Couture had been playing for a couple seasons before last year. Kesler would be your comparable. And you had Schneider and Luongo, surely one of them would have been good enough. The point is it's possible to take what you have a refresh it with the right moves. Only took trading the right three players for us to go from struggling to great.

Yeah, it's a bit different.

Our team absolutely depends on the Sedins and has for around 5 years. When they struggle, the entire team struggles. They are banged up and declining, with no one to replace that decline.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I wonder what that guy from the Olympic thread who kept saying Lu was going to be a top 5 all time goalie has to say about this trade.

Hmm I see your point, but do they really have what it takes to do that?

Who are the guys knocking on the door?

They better get a real good return on the assets that are left if that should be possible.
I don't think they do, but Gillis clearly doesn't know what he's doing, and I'm not sure you can do a full rebuild in a market like Vancouver. They should trade the Sedins / Kesler / Bieska if they really wanted to do a full rebuild, but that's not happening. So if they're going for a retooling, Schneider would have been great, but Gillis is just throwing shit at the wall at this point.

I'm even fine with this Luongo trade. Markstrom is a good goalie and we have 2 good prospects that can turn into potential top goalies in the future while requiring little cap space that we can use on some scoring forwards.
Markstrom is 15th in sv % in the AHL at 24, and couldn't beat out Clemmenson for a spot on the Panthers. Not saying he still can't turn out to be a good goalie, but expectations for him should be pretty realistic. You think Florida gave away an amazing young goalie prospect when they're rebuilding themselves?

snack

Joe Haggerty @HackswithHaggs 5m
Tim Thomas spotted at TD Garden having a chat while prepping for start vs Bruins. He did not look like a happy man at all. Can't blame him.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Haven't been this happy about a trade since Bure came over. WOOOO

I'M SAD CANUCKS-EAST FAN

Couldn't you take Booth back?

Now that I've started processing it I'm not that unhappy. Yes the return is crap, but we weren't gonna win a cup while Luongo was playing anyway.

Still extremely sad to see him go though, especially the way he's been treated here. Glad Gillis will be gone soon.

If Kesler is gone by tomorrow too, this team will look so different.

I'm sad. :(

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Sportsnet panel on Lack starting yesterday:

"He gambled and he lost."

How can you blame Lack for any of those goals?

"This is another example of Tortorella trying to prove he's smarter than everyone else."
"Totally."

Holy media insecurities

"Don't you need Luongo in the right frame of mind down the stretch?"

Luongo really should be able to handle shit like this, sorry. As much as people have taken to shitting on Canucks management, the sympathy parade needs to stop.

"Now you've completely lost Lu."

Alright I'm done
tumblr_ltelnhVkh31qercxjo5_r1_250.gif

pringles

This deal would have looked awesome a few years ago when the Nucks still had Schneider and Markstrom still looked like a future #1.

Now?

I feel bad for Nucks fans for the first time in my life. And I also hope the Wings can snatch Edler with a similar package of crap.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
This deal would have looked awesome a few years ago when the Nucks still had Schneider and Markstrom still looked like a future #1.

Now?

I feel bad for Nucks fans for the first time in my life. And I also hope the Wings can snatch Edler with a similar package of crap.

Yeah. Though luongo's contract is what made the deal not get much value back. Edler and Kesler's contracts are much better.

Top Bottom