• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

Would've been nice to try to buy low on Rundblad. Someone with a potentially higher ceiling instead of continuing to acquire ALL the 4-6 defensemen in the league.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
This tarnishes the Canuck's image pretty badly too, for as long as Gillis is still there anyways. Who is going to want to play there after this Schnieder / Luongo fiasco, and guys like Kesler wanting out as well?

Insider note: Canucks ownership is VERY unhappy with Mike Gillis and all signs point to him being gone by this summer.

Source: Canucks ownership through a corner. I know two people that are friends with an Aquilani. My friend knew about it since this morning and didn't tell, what a dick.

CQyak8d.gif

I'm still bullish on Larsson's potential as a 20 y.o. massive D-man, and we're still pretty jam packed at center.

Laughton seems good but not really someone I'm wed to. Didn't realize other people valued him so highly.

zroid

Banned
So, I'm not too familiar with salary sharing in trades -- does this mean the ~$1m/yr the Nucks are paying on Lu's contract will still contribute to their own cap till it's up?

Revenant

I'm getting the feeling I'm the only Canucks fan who loves this trade. Markstrom is an elite goaltending prospect and Matthias is severely underrated considering he's had no real supporting cast. Can't wait to see what Kesler brings in.
Elite goaltending prospect? Did we hit a time warp?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yes. You'll have Luongo on your cap chart. Mocking you. For fucking ever.
:lol :lol

I'm still bullish on Larsson's potential as a 20 y.o. massive D-man, and we're still pretty jam packed at center.

Laughton seems good but not really someone I'm wed to. Didn't realize other people valued him so highly.
It's more that Larrson's development has been really rough, and Laughton almost made the Flyers this season did he not? Larrson's going in a downward trajectory, while Laughton is going up.

Luongo would've been a good foundation for a rebuild, and the rising cap would've made his contract more palatable, but this is a trade done with the future in mind. Wish the Canucks got a pick or two, but Markstrom and Matthias are young-ish.

Wonder why Tallon agreed to the deal though. Markstrom still has upside and Luongo's contract still sucks even with 15% staying with the Canucks.

He's tearing up the OHL right now, which is great--but who knows how he'll look when he's not a man playing against boys. Hopefully he'll do well in the NHL.

We've got a bunch of centers and his game won't translate as well to wing, so I'd be fine with moving him for similar level defensive talent.

MutFox

Banned
My post was last on the previous page, but what's up with Burrows this season?

Is it just shitty luck?

They can't trade him at all, has no trade value the way he's playing.
If they trade him now, it would be stupid.

He'll get back to form hopefully, cause he's clutch when he's on his game.
He just needs a goal, but he seems to be over thinking it right now...

I think people are exaggerating. The Nucks would be on a decline whether or not they had Lou(or Cory) at least they are heading in to the rebuild with a lot of promise in the net now.
Would've been a great trade last season when we had Schnieds.
The return would have made zero sense.
Question, does the salary retention also include salary cap retention?
I think so.

Wazzy

Banned
I don't care at all about the Luongo trade. I will say, I don't think I can stomach a Kesler trade. He's my favourite player and is one of our biggest stars. I don't see the point in trading him at this point but what can you do.

It's more that Larrson's development has been really rough, and Laughton almost made the Flyers this season did he not? Larrson's going in a downward trajectory, while Laughton is going up.

Larsson is gettin Deboer'd or Therrien'd if you will.

Deboer doesn't allow him to make mistakes.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I think people are exaggerating. The Nucks would be on a decline whether or not they had Lou(or Cory) at least they are heading in to the rebuild with a lot of promise in the net now.
Canucks will be looking to retool like the Sens did rather then rebuild, especially since they still have the Sedins. Corey would have been the perfect guy to retool with, and hopefully be competitive again in 3 years or so.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
He's tearing up the OHL right now, which is great--but who knows how he'll look when he's not a man playing against boys. Hopefully he'll do well in the NHL.

We've got a bunch of centers and his game won't translate as well to wing, so I'd be fine with moving him for similar level defensive talent.

I never really like trading guys who are valued so highly so fast.

See: Patrick Sharp, JVR.

Flyers management seems to make snap decisions that end up aiding other teams more than they aid them.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Lmao, this trade will look great in the near future. Lack is ready to be a starter and Markstrom is damn good. Matthias will show his real colours instead of the occasional flashes of brilliance playing with a richer talent group in Vancouver.

People just have unrealistic expectations... At the very least Matthias will do well in Vancouver.

C'mon man Markstrom is the #1 goaltending prospect (whose stock has dropped recently) !!!

considering Gillis was willing to settle for Scrivens + 2nd this is a good trade.

Canucks were going no where anyway so not having an established goalie this year isn't gonna hurt.

They dump the contract

I'm just ecstatic

Honestly, I was fine with the Cody Hodgson trade as he's such a defensive liability out there and was a huge cry baby off the ice. Zack Kassian is a bust but it was worth the shot.

I'm even fine with this Luongo trade. Markstrom is a good goalie and we have 2 good prospects that can turn into potential top goalies in the future while requiring little cap space that we can use on some scoring forwards.

But what I'm not fine with? Is the Schneider trade. It's even worse now that we've got rid of Luongo. Schneider is a legit top 5 goaltender in the league. He's young. And had a good contract signed. You wouldn't have needed to pay him a long contract, he was solid. You traded him for a non-nhl ready prospect. Schneider was worth a top 3 draft pick.

If there's any trade Mike Gillis should be fired for, it's the Schneider trade. Especially since Luongo is no longer our #1.

you guys expecting the Canucks to go somewhere or something?

Who cares that Schneider was traded?

No one is refuting that Gillis ran the whole thing into the ground but given the circumstances he was in how could this trade not be regarded as positive? Gillis went from willing to ship Luongo out for Scrivens + 2nd to getting a legit goalie prospect!
iLj2VAywoH682.gif

Luongo would've been a good foundation for a rebuild, and the rising cap would've made his contract more palatable, but this is a trade done with the future in mind. Wish the Canucks got a pick or two, but Markstrom and Matthias are young-ish.

Wonder why Tallon agreed to the deal though. Markstrom still has upside and Luongo's contract still sucks even with 15% staying with the Canucks.

He probably just felt that he had waited long enough, Markström might be able to benefit from the change of scenery.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
:lol :lol

Yup, he did. Larrson would be in the AHL right now, if he didn't have to be 21 to play in the league.

I don't care at all about the Luongo trade. I will say, I don't think I can stomach a Kesler trade. He's my favourite player and is one of our biggest stars. I don't see the point in trading him at this point but what can you do.

oh god if kesler to the Hawks in a three way trade is true, every canucks fan needs to be put on watch

Wazzy

Banned
oh god if kesler to the Hawks in a three way trade is true, every canucks fan needs to be put on watch

I'll say it right now, while Burrows and Bieksa are my next favourite players after Kesler, I don't think I could support the canucks for awhile if they got rid of Kesler. It's just too big of a trade and I don't like it at all.

RC

Banned
I'll say it right now, while Burrows and Bieksa are my next favourite players after Kesler, I don't think I could support the canucks for awhile if they got rid of Kesler. It's just too big of a trade and I don't like it at all.

I'm remember thinking the same thing when we traded away Linden. I just gave up on watching hockey and started getting into basketball, *shudders.*

Canucks will be looking to retool like the Sens did rather then rebuild, especially since they still have the Sedins. Corey would have been the perfect guy to retool with, and hopefully be competitive again in 3 years or so.

Hmm I see your point, but do they really have what it takes to do that?

Who are the guys knocking on the door?

They better get a real good return on the assets that are left if that should be possible.

Oh come on.

I'm remember thinking the same thing when we traded away Linden. I just gave up on watching hockey and started getting into basketball, *shudders.*

252397_233897859959122_267698_n.jpg

Tabris

Honestly, I was fine with the Cody Hodgson trade as he's such a defensive liability out there and was a huge cry baby off the ice. Zack Kassian is a bust but it was worth the shot.

I'm even fine with this Luongo trade. Markstrom is a good goalie and we have 2 good prospects that can turn into potential top goalies in the future while requiring little cap space that we can use on some scoring forwards.

But what I'm not fine with? Is the Schneider trade. It's even worse now that we've got rid of Luongo. Schneider is a legit top 5 goaltender in the league. He's young. And had a good contract signed. You wouldn't have needed to pay him a long contract, he was solid. You traded him for a non-nhl ready prospect. Schneider was worth a top 3 draft pick.

If there's any trade Mike Gillis should be fired for, it's the Schneider trade. Especially since Luongo is no longer our #1.

Acid08

Banned
Just look at the Sharks for how to do a successful refresh. We were basically dead in the water last season until DW made his trades. And suddenly we were much better while still maintaining the same core.

Top Bottom