• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

Fei

As a GM, saving as much money as you can and avoiding overpayment is always a plus.

You'll need that cap space in the summer.

I mean, is that an overpayment Callahan? Eh... It seems like it's around the right number to me.

On the term, the Rangers were ready to commit to 6 years, so that doesn't seem to be their issue.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think Callahan asking for $6M+ is crazy. Look at the top end contracts now - $8M+. Then consider the cap going up significantly in the next couple years. I don't get the Rangers stance here.

He gets injured A LOT, and his play style will seriously wear him down. He's in his prime right now and still can't manage to come close to playing 82 game seasons.

If he wanted 6.25m for 4 or 5 years, I would do that contract in a heartbeat. But he wanted 7 years at nearly 7m, and his lowest offer that we heard of was 6 years at 6.3m with a no move clause. That would have been an albatross of a contract those last couple of years.

He is a heart and soul guy, and one of the best captains in the league. Losing him is going to be a serious emotional blow to the locker room.

ZeroGravity

Always thought St. Louis would be the first Bolt to have his number retired. I think it'll be a long time until that happens now. Especially if Yzerman is around for awhile.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Not his style but his decision making. So many mindnumbing bonehead decisions.

I don't remember ever shaking my head at his lineup choices this much the first 2 seasons.

I dont remember Condra and Greening getting this much ice time in top 6 in the past 2 years, and premier goal scorers getting treated like shit as Babby has when he gets played less than fucking Greening, or Philips receiving top 4 minutes while Methot gets scratched for Cowen to play in the top pair.

I dont remember that the last 2 seasons.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

A lot of coaching decisions Paulrus has made this season, whether that be scratching and benching players who don't deserve it or playing players who are shitting the bed (Phillips and Cowen), they're just baffling.

I mean I don't understand how you can put Chris Phillips on the PP and actually expect your PP to be successful.

Merguson

Banned
Michael Traikos @Michael_Traikos
St. Louis reportedly trying to get to New York for game against Toronto. FWIW, he has 18 goals and 51 points in 51 career games vs #Leafs

There's no need to rush! Enjoy your last moments with your former team!

Zeeman

Couldn't have said it better myself.

A lot of coaching decisions Paulrus has made this season, whether that be scratching and benching players who don't deserve it or playing players who are shitting the bed (Phillips and Cowen), they're just baffling.

I mean I don't understand how you can put Chris Phillips on the PP and actually expect your PP to be successful.

Maybe he's passive aggressively lashing out at Melnyk for being cheap

Fei

He gets injured A LOT, and his play style will seriously wear him down. He's in his prime right now and still can't manage to come close to playing 82 game seasons.

Yeah, I get the injury worry. I just wonder how much that is a result of playing in the Tortorella system for years.

Anyway, if the Sabres overpay for him in the offseason, I won't mind too much.

JABEE

I still will think of St. Louis as a jackass for asking to be traded after not making team Canada. That's just a BS move to pull on his part.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I get the injury worry. I just wonder how much that is a result of playing in the Tortorella system for years.

Anyway, if the Sabres overpay for him in the offseason, I won't mind too much.
He missed time TWICE this season playing under AV's system.

Silexx

I dont remember Condra and Greening getting this much ice time in top 6 in the past 2 years, and premier goal scorers getting treated like shit as Babby has when he gets played less than fucking Greening, or Philips receiving top 4 minutes while Methot gets scratched for Cowen to play in the top pair.

I dont remember that the last 2 seasons.

Last I remember, Bobby didn't play for the Sens the last 2 years. :p

Joking aside, are you sure Condra and Greening didn't average relatively the same as last year given all the injuries? I'm honestly curious and don't know, so I won't make a judgement on that just yet.

That said, I do think MacLean's handling of the lineups in the previous seasons may have been dictated by the injuries that essentially forced his hand when establishing the lines. This year, the team has actually been pretty healthy and so MacLean has had more room to juggle players around. Don't get me wrong, if this is the case, it certainly does not reflect well on the coaching staff.

Fei

8 minutes until the Conacher deadline!

Buffalo claim Conacher. Wonder if they will try to flip him for something.

Not confirmed yet. Lots of speculation that they have.

And I don't think they'll flip him. He should get a good look here.

Buffalo claim Conacher. Wonder if they will try to flip him for something.

Can't. If they want to get rid of him they have to put him through waivers first, allowing other teams the option of picking him up for free.

If they wait until next season they can though.

Darren Dreger verified
Continuing to hear Ottawa and Pittsburgh in the mix for Hemsky. #Tradecentre

So Pittsburgh is in on Kesler, Vanek, Kulemin, and Hemsky?

Come on.

Fei

Can't. If they want to get rid of him they have to put him through waivers first, allowing other teams the option of picking him up for free.

If they claim him, why wouldn't they be able to trade him? Waivers are only for sending players up and down from the AHL. Not that I want them too.

If they claim him, why wouldn't they be able to trade him? Waivers are only for sending players up and down from the AHL. Not that I want them too.

It's some rule with the CBA.

It's to prevent teams from picking up all of the waived players and holding them ransom for draft picks, basically.

It makes sense I suppose. Not that I really agree with it.

I believe the rule is just for the rest of whatever season you claim the player in or something like 3 months, so if you picked up a player in October you could trade him at the deadline and in this case Buffalo could trade him at the draft or something if they want.

I could definitely be wrong though.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Come on.

That's not crazy. If they get one, they'll stop going after another.

Come on.

This literally happens every year, trade deadline, and offseason. Pens are apparently always in on every deal.

That's not crazy. If they get one, they'll stop going after another.

It's funny because they're always in on like 6 deals but wind up getting none of the six.

Wow what a coincidence:
Elliotte Friedman
Good stat MT @SportsnetTicker last #Rangers captain traded was Mark Messier in 2003 to Sharks for a 4th Rd pick. Pick became...Ryan Callahan

And regarding Gaborik:
Aaron Portzline
#CBJ continue to talk w other teams re: Gaborik, perhaps waiting for top-end guys to go. Kings growing impatient, looking elsewhere too.

Zee-Row

Banned
I'm wondering now if Yzerman was sent by Detroit to fuck the Lightning organization up. Hes now the dude now known for getting rid of Vinny and now Marty.

Lol at the Burke interview.

"Are you close to anything yet?"

"No."

...silence.

Burke correcting the news anchor was hilarious. "No you aren't listening." :lol

I'm wondering now if Yzerman was sent by Detroit to fuck the Lightning organization up. Hes now the dude now known for getting rid of Vinny and now Marty.

Well Vinny had been on the decline for a while so that's not a big loss. MSL is one for sure but he's been replaced by Drouin + some other great drafting.

That said, I do think MacLean's handling of the lineups in the previous seasons may have been dictated by the injuries that essentially forced his hand when establishing the lines. This year, the team has actually been pretty healthy and so MacLean has had more room to juggle players around. Don't get me wrong, if this is the case, it certainly does not reflect well on the coaching staff.

RIght so when he has a healthy roster he makes stupid lineup choices.

Condra and Greening in the top6 over Ryan.
Ryan's icetime getting scratched and moving him off key PP opportunities.
CHRIS PHILLIPS on the PP!!!!
Playing Anderson over Lehner when Anderson was sucking. Playing Anderson on back to back games.
Cowen constantly in the lineup and even on the top pairing when he was an absolute traiinwreck. Wiercioch in the box even though he hasn;t been anywhere near as bad.

I could go on.

At least some of these are choices made by the assistants so one or both should get the boot. We won't it won't be Melnyk's waterboy Cameron, better hope MacLean doesn't get fired or we're going to be wishing for the days of Dave "Sparky" Allison as coach.

Zee-Row

Banned
I just don't understand why Marty was still pissed at Yzerman about the Team Canada snub. You ended up on the team anyway and got a gold medal out of it , let fucking bygones be bygones.

Top Bottom