• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2014 |OT| The C on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Cu

That 15 pick is worth it's weight in gold.

Edit:
@hfialkov: My Panthers radar tells me Goc is adios before 3 and Mr. Trocheck will be taking his spot. #flapanthers

Count Gocula :(

Excited to see Trocheck though.

Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 2m
Was in Rangers room when news broke. Got a little silent pretty quickly.

Well hell yeah. The 2015 pick is rough. But I am also not sure I like it from Tampa's perspective. They apparently are not going to keep Callahan, so is losing MSL really worth a 1st + 2nd? Not so sure.

Welcome back Stamkos, and congrats, you're the new fucking Captain.

Is that such a bag thing?

EDIT: News from Dreger:

If Callahan signs an extension in Tampa, New York gets a draft pick back.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The real interesting thing here is what desperate team signs Callahan this summer

Callahan's demands have been crazy because they're almost certain Buffalo is going to pay it. He's a Western NY boy.

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie 3m
In Rangers' room, players attempting to gain confirmation of done deal. Callahan plus first and second for StLouis.

Does NOT sound like it's playing well in the locker room. Not surprised.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Wow I love MSL but that is a massive overpayment for a guy who WANTED to go to NY. I understand Callahan was potentially asking for two much money but added those picks ON TOP of that was insane. Callahan and a 2nd maybe...but Slats gonna Slats

Edit: so....ZG...what was this all before about MSL not going anywhere?
Edit2: I guess if Callahan walks this summer it's a 1st and 2nd with a rental for MSL. Still think they could've gotten away with less or make that pick conditional

Silexx

No but not putting players in the best position to succeed did, like having your 2 top scorers in Ryan and Zibby not playing in the final minute, something this coach has been doing all season long.

Now see, on those points, I completely agree.

You and Kernal seem to love the narrative that MacLean has let the success of last season get to his head, yet fail to recognize that this is pretty much the same way he was coaching as last year and that his style is straight out of Mike Babcock's playbook.

I think the truth is a bit simpler than that and KernelPanic already touched on it, which was that the team was receiving some of best goaltending in the league.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 3m
Told that Callahan camp went down even further close to $6 million a year, still north of it though, but that NMC was big issue too

Ok, if Cally wanted a full no move on top of his ridiculous term and money, then I totally get this.

Except for the 2015 1st. Can't believe Sather's giving that up. He better be swindling some other team out of a 1st along the way.

No, I'm happy for him. He's ready to be the leader of this team and now he's got the opportunity.

So no chance that it is a guy like Hedman or somebody else, you think?

Who has the "A"s right now?

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 3m
Told that Callahan camp went down even further close to $6 million a year, still north of it though, but that NMC was big issue too

Ok, if Cally wanted a full no move on top of his ridiculous term and money, then I totally get this.

Except for the 2015 1st. Can't believe Sather's giving that up. He better be swindling some other team out of a 1st along the way.

Wild will give you a 2015 1st + Zucker for Stepan if you want it.

Come on, you know you want it.

Fei

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think Callahan asking for $6M+ is crazy. Look at the top end contracts now - $8M+. Then consider the cap going up significantly in the next couple years. I don't get the Rangers stance here.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
That St Louis deal is a steal for the Bolts because

A - He's 38 and not getting any younger
B - He's a UFA after next season
C - He was only willing to go to NY, so getting a 2015 1st rounder is amazing

Of course, the Rangers got better this season and next because St Louis is a much better player than Callahan.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think Callahan asking for $6M+ is crazy. Look at the top end contracts now - $8M+. Then consider the cap going up significantly in the next couple years. I don't get the Rangers stance here.
Price isn't crazy but he wants 6-7 years. For his play style that is huge gamble.

You and Kernal seem to love the narrative that MacLean has let the success of last season get to his head, yet fail to recognize that this is pretty much the same way he was coaching as last year and that his style is straight out of Mike Babcock's playbook.

I think the truth is a bit simpler than that and KernelPanic already touched on it, which was that the team was receiving some of best goaltending in the league.

Not his style but his decision making. So many mindnumbing bonehead decisions.

I don't remember ever shaking my head at his lineup choices this much the first 2 seasons.

Quick

Banned

As a GM, saving as much money as you can and avoiding overpayment is always a plus.

You'll need that cap space in the summer.

Cake Boss

Banned

I dont remember Condra and Greening getting this much ice time in top 6 in the past 2 years, and premier goal scorers getting treated like shit as Babby has when he gets played less than fucking Greening, or Philips receiving top 4 minutes while Methot gets scratched for Cowen to play in the top pair.

I dont remember that the last 2 seasons.

Top Bottom