• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2016 |OT| It's not tanking, it's losing with style

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
CcktB-UW0AAjT_o.jpg:large

Yawnier

Banned
Team Europe looks a little bit rough.

Also Sekera is a half decent defencemen too, but overpaid (loloilers).

and Seidenberg and Streit are old as hell.

Socreges

Banned
If there was any doubt this was about the NHL making a buck and not patriotism, behold... random mix of Europeans.

I'll be cheering for that team as the underdog, though. But I do expect them to get shelled.

Are the remaining rosters still coming sometime today?

calder

Yep, this roster is like a confirmation of why teams outside the 'big 6' are indeed outside the big 6. The only team I'd rank this group above would be, maybe, the Czechs.

The only good thing you can say about "Team Europe" as a concept is that it's a slightly less stupid idea than the under 23 team.

Quick

Banned
Yep, this roster is like a confirmation of why teams outside the 'big 6' are indeed outside the big 6. The only team I'd rank this group above would be, maybe, the Czechs.

The only good thing you can say about "Team Europe" as a concept is that it's a slightly less stupid idea than the under 23 team.

The more I think about the teams on the WCH, the less stupid it really becomes. I don't know.

Team Europe too.

Edit: Team Sweden's initial roster...cot damm.

zroid

Banned
The more I think about the teams on the WCH, the less stupid it really becomes. I don't know.

Team Europe too.

Edit: Team Sweden's initial roster...cot damm.

Yeah like I've said I've warmed up to the U23 team a lot recently. It's not that the tournament is going to be all that meaningful with these gimmicks, but it sure as hell will be fun to watch a bunch of kids knock off Team Canada or whoever. I'm cheering for them for sure.

Mikkel Boedker - good enough for Team Europe, good enough for the Avs and being the franchise's #1 best player in terms of points per game.

Boedker - Better than Forsberg!

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Team Europe's logo looks like they just fired up NHL's "Create a Team" mode and picked one from there.

Quick

Banned
Yeah like I've said I've warmed up to the U23 team a lot recently. It's not that the tournament is going to be all that meaningful with these gimmicks, but it sure as hell will be fun to watch a bunch of kids knock off Team Canada or whoever. I'm cheering for them for sure.

Plus, it's not like the NHL has a large pool of big names to choose spread around anyway.

With Team Europe, there's really not enough to make German and Slovakian teams.

And like you said, the U23 team could be a legitimate threat.

Socreges

Banned
Wow, Kronwall has terrible fancy stats. Had no idea he'd dropped off so much.

Is it only NHL players in this tourney? I thought it was, but dude at work is saying no

calder

I'm super excited for the tournament and I love best on best games for any reason, but I still feel like the U23 and Europe teams are just too gimmicky and reek of the typical NHL trying to sell shit to everyone and desperate to have McDavid and Eichel play even though both would likely make their teams. This European team is going to get crushed, and the U23 team may put a scare in a few teams but it's an underdog against any team other than Europe and maybe the Czechs.

I just hope this silliness is a one time thing and next time they have the top 6 nations and maybe a mini tournament for the other smaller nations for the last two spots or something.

There can be players from other leagues.
Yup, Sobotka is the only one so far though?
Wow, Kronwall has terrible fancy stats. Had no idea he'd dropped off so much.

Is it only NHL players in this tourney? I thought it was, but dude at work is saying no
Yep if he gets any meaningful minutes, it is gonna be hard to watch. I just cant understand it when you think about the players we left out. Goddamn i want Ekholm or Larsson on the team.

Its not like we lack veterans either. The D might be young but we got plenty of important games between Hjalmarsson, strålman and Hedman.

Projected Leaf lines:

Soshnikov - Kadri - Komarov
Kapanen - Nylander - Hyman
Boyes - Holland - Grabner
Greening - Smith - Laich

Hunwick - Rielly
Gardiner - Corrado
Marincin - Carrick

I'm glad Grabner on the Nylander line lasted all of about 1 period the other night. Kapanen - Nylander - Hyman looked great in the 3rd period.

Lines from here

Quick

Banned
Team North America/U23:

G - Gibson - ANA
G - Helleybuyck - WPG
G - Murray - PIT

D - Ekblad - FLA
D - Murray - CBJ
D - Jones - CJB
D - Rielly - TOR #1 in our hearts

F - Couturier - PHI
F - Eichel - BUF
F - Gaudreau - CGY
F - Larkin - DET
F - MacKinnon - COL
F - McDavid - EDM
F - Miller - NYR
F - Monahan - CGY
F - Saad - CBJ

calder

I wasted my afternoon in meetings, just catching up now.

Team Russia's defense is hilarious. Forwards are pretty damn good.

Sweden looks damn solid all the way. That defense looks good, but yeah not sure how Klingberg didn't make it at all. Maybe the Swedes took Kronwall instead in case they need someone to throw out a dangerous, high hit and want it to go somehow unpunished?

Cck3xyyXIAAoVNj.jpg:large

Go Helleboy! Surprised Scheifele isn't on there but he may actually be a bit too old, not sure what the cut off date is.

Quick

Banned
ugh Daren Millard is such a loser

Chiarelli and Bowman just talked about how there really isn't an "intimidation" factor, but more of just inexperience.

And he sticks with the intimidation angle with the Ekblad interview anyway. :lol

Team North America/U23:

G - Gibson - ANA
G - Helleybuyck - WPG
G - Murray - PIT

D - Ekblad - FLA
D - Murray - CBJ
D - Jones - CJB
D - Rielly - TOR #1 in our hearts

F - Couturier - PHI
F - Eichel - BUF
F - Gaudreau - CGY
F - Larkin - DET
F - MacKinnon - COL
F - McDavid - EDM
F - Miller - NYR
F - Monahan - CGY
F - Saad - CBJ
It would be kind of fun to see this team beat Sweden. While the stupid "experts" barely know their names even though they are super stars.

Top Bottom